• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
So he brings back every characters and DLC, as well as stages, and somehow mii costumes wont make the cut
I just have the most rational thinking, where you base yourself on "what if", "what if his costume isn't here anymore", "what if he isn't a spirit", "what if they miraculously teased Geno's DLC through an icon for online"

that's three what if in a row where on my case i just have to assume geno mii costume is back
To be honest, I am expecting Geno to be a spirit, that his Mii costume is still there, and that the event plays out in the same way as Lip. That said, I don't think any of that completely disqualifies his chances as DLC. I agree, he has a tough road competing with Sora, Dragon Quest, 2B, Lara Croft, etc., but until he's fully disconfirmed I'll have hope. I think the fact that every Mii costume has been used in some way except for a handful of popular 3rd party characters is strong evidence for his DLC chances, no "what if" needed. Yes, my expectations are very low at this point, but I'm not going to give up.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So he brings back every characters and DLC, as well as stages, and somehow mii costumes wont make the cut
I just have the most rational thinking, where you base yourself on "what if", "what if his costume isn't here anymore", "what if he isn't a spirit", "what if they miraculously teased Geno's DLC through an icon for online"

that's three what if in a row where on my case i just have to assume geno mii costume is back
they made a big deal out of geno's mii costume when it released, moreso than any other mii costume. you'd think they would've mentioned it if he was still a costume. just saying.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I don't know if Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, since Pirahna Plant stoke his thunder, but I'm sure there will be a second Fighter Pass, and he has substantially better odds of appearing there.
Why would a piranha plant that’s not even in the Fighter Pass have any bearing on Geno?

TBone06

Smash Ace
After re-watching the section where Geno's icon was shown, it honestly looks more like an Easter egg than anything. It was shown on the side, where the attention clearly wasn't supposed to be, and for like a second.

Honestly, it could have just been whoever was using it's icon. Maybe that means they got the image from a spirit, but in no way does it confirm that he's a spirit. It could mean that they were hinting at something, it could mean he's a spirit, it could mean nothing at all. It really tells us nothing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think people realize how much work Sora would be. Sora's owned by Disney and his only instance of a cameo outside Kingdom Hearts was as a free DLC summon for World of Final Fantasy in early 2017, more than a year after Ultimate began development. He's a Disney character that had to be liscensed within a Square Enix game that Square Enix developed themselves despite Square Enix overwhelmingly doing the work for the Kingdom Hearts games. That's just for the character, nevermind a full stage and music with Kingdom Hearts assests. Square Enix couldn't even be bothered to do more than two straight music rips or even an assist trophy over two games for their most popular character. If Disney liscensed out Sora for Smash, Square Enix would technically be cut out of the equation for profits unlike the actual KH games they develop so it paints a scenario where, for Sora to get in, either Disney approached Sakurai or vice versa. Square Enix would be a moron to be the middle man in this kind of deal.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Any confirmation to clear up any confusion over the "does this deconfirm?" matter would be nice. Problem is nobody seems to have a good answer.
I don't think so. If spirits deconfirmed dlc there isn't much people left

Besides, they are like trophies. And smash 4 dlc had trophies.

Not to mention confirmed characters have spirits

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Verg is now saying the Square Character will be the first DLC fighter announced.

So maybe we won’t have to wait too long before some good news.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A Mii costume isn't damning either given how there's a lot of playable characters that have them. If Geno still has a Mii costume, it simply means it carried over from SSB4. It's a different scenario. Sakurai pretty much confirmed that appearances of new Mii costumes are hard decomfirmations, just like they were in SSB4. Geno's not new though and simply joins the other characters that have them. It's toys in the attic, honestly, because the work was already done.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Verg is now saying the Square Character will be the first DLC fighter announced.

So maybe we won’t have to wait too long before some good news.
I really do hope that it's Geno. I've heard that he thinks it's implied to be from DQ (which I wouldn't mind at all, but that would still mean that Geno's best shot would've passed).

Edit: Yeah, may have heard slightly wrong. If it were just Leaky-Pandy, well... fair to say it's not nearly as good a track record as Verg.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I really do hope that it's Geno. I've heard that he thinks it's implied to be from DQ (which I wouldn't mind at all, but that would still mean that Geno's best shot would've passed).
i mean, it might just be what ive seen but i cant imagine a world where a dragon quest character would sell more than geno as dlc tbh

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I have every right to be disappointed and say how bad I hated that direct as someone who's buying most of Nintendo's products.
If you're buying Sakurai's laughable storytelling about how hard everything is, well, good for you, but I don't.
I think that Miyamoto shouldn't work on Paper Mario anymore because he's not doing anything good for it anymore. Same goes for Sakurai, And this is not even about Geno, I'm just serious about Sakurai being the main problem and I could go on and on about it.
It's not because you're trying hard that what you do is good. When I saw the august direct, i was convinced that this game was going to be perfect, I was sure about giving it a 10/10. And then, we got this horrible direct. Everything was HORRIBLE.
And I'm not hating on Piranha Plant, at first I was disgusted, but now, I'm fine with it and I wanna play as her. I was also really happy for Ken and Incineroar. But the rest was just terrible. And I don't imagine how people who have Isaac as their most wanted felt. Sakurai killed my hype with that terrible solo mode full of glorified stickers and that anticlimactic direct.

Btw, even if Geno is a spirit, it's not a big deal for the many reasons we already said. Geno still has a really good shot at being DLC in the Mewtwo's spot.

And if we're ending up (once again lol) with the worst case scenario, I'll consider buying Geno's rights, one way or another.
How will you buy Genos rights? You have to be rich in order to do that

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are you sure that was about Verg?

The only person that implied dragon quest was leaky pandy from what I heard

His exact words
"
I don't know when it will come out or be revealed yet. If LeakyPandy is not lying or told something incorrect, there was a tweet that they put out at some point back that the Square Enix character would be DLC and announced at The Game Awards. They hinted at the character being from Dragon Quest too."

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
A Mii costume isn't damning either given how there's a lot of playable characters that have them. If Geno still has a Mii costume, it simply means it carried over from SSB4. It's a different scenario. Sakurai pretty much confirmed that appearances of new Mii costumes are hard decomfirmations, just like they were in SSB4. Geno's not new though and simply joins the other characters that have them. It's toys in the attic, honestly, because the work was already done.
I agree...The only kind of content I can think of that would negatively implicate Geno's chances would be if SMRPG music tracks were included in the base game, because that's something you'd think they'd reserve for the DLC bundle.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
It was a terrible day for rain... all those characters got slaughtered during the “Great Assist Trophy Massacres of 2018” Shadow... Isaac... Bomberman... Skull Kid... Ashley... Waluigi... Zero... Shovel Knight... Takamaru... Knuckles... All could’ve been decent fighters.

32E72301-8985-41F1-8231-436273051A87.gif

And yet, I smile because Geno may still get his chance at be a DLC character. It’s always best to hold on to hope and faith, because I wanna believe. :)

I’m sorry if this sounds like complaining, just some thoughts I had.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Sakurai has Geno's rights , so honestly , now it's pretty much up to him.

Personnaly , I'm not buying the fighters season pass until I don't know who the potentiel SE is. If it's not Geno, I'll buy every DLC except the SE rep. I had enough of swordmen and realistic human characters with Sm4sh DLC (Roy, Corrin, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta) I don't want a DQ rep because " It's huge in Japan DQ deserve it".

Yeah cool Nintendo won't get anything from making DQ more popular, but if they get Geno , it's free money as DLC and for fan-service in later Mario RPGs. Or even, I'm going to throw something stupid, but a Mario X Final Fantasy game.

I don't want to sound angry, but I'm tired of arguments over why " A character deserve a spot " especially after Isaac got ****ed over by a plant.

Just imagine Geno in Paper Mario art style! Or even as a playable character in Mario and Luigi , he could bring really unique stuff gameplay-wise with actions commands and trio attacks! Or even just beeing in the sports, kart and Mario party games! You make the character more popular with only making a 3D model and some animations!

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
The DLC looks like it could be very promising for this game. Many characters were deconfirmed, but many of them are still left. And they're not that far our of reach. Honestly though, I'm very surprised that Waluigi was deconfirmed. I get that many of the characters were already finished before they started revealing information. But putting Waluigi in the game is so easy and it would break the internet completely, definitely a great seller.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
i mean, it might just be what ive seen but i cant imagine a world where a dragon quest character would sell more than geno as dlc tbh
Tell that to Japan, when it was still about grinch leak, he was just a gaijin character

Sure Dragon Quest sells badly outside of Japan, but it's really popular back there

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
So apparently even though chrom is playable, he's still robin's final smash.

it seems it doesnt matter if a character is something other than playable, they still can be even if it doesnt make sense

Geno, Isaac, everyone else who got the shaft can still make it!

Are you twelve ? I just put facts, you wonder why there is geno's face in this game.
I explain it simply, with logic, they use mii costumes from fighters that aren't in the base game to justify these new event matches to earn spirits
I show you that it is the case for Lip
I show you that, it's likely every previous mii costumes are back and so is Geno
And such i make the link between Geno mii costume and his face in this game as a spirit.

Where is it troll ? You just react like a kid that doesn't like what he's hearing and so he covers his ears, that's just childish

Damn that's not even an argument

Are you all like this ?

Square Enix DLC is just Sora, he's out at the same time of release of Kingdom Hearts, i'm not here to troll you, i don't even like Sora and i prefer Geno, i just came here to put some senses in you, don't have pipedreams or you'll all feel like we felt yesterday
why are you on a geno support thread if you aint gonna support him :/
edit: sorry for doublepost

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sora is owned by Disney, but a ton of people associate him with SE because SE actually did create the character. It's not incorrect to say he's still a SE character. It's incorrect to say he's owned by SE.

That said, we don't know if Geno is a spirit. However, spirits exist of playable characters too. It's just a trophy. It means nothing. We may still see his Mii costume(no, it is not confirmed he's a costume), but that doesn't mean he can't be DLC. Smash 4 is the first proper DLC period. There's no precedent to assume how things will go. It's probably fair to suggest that AT's won't become playable, but costumes and trophies? Not in the same boat.

Hoping from the Isaac board. First time here. I’m still clinging for hope that Isaac potentially being dlc but I’m not a fool. I know the chance is beyond slim.

I’m here to say that you guys have a chance. After I saw Isaac as an AT I was recasted but in the back of my mind I was hoping at least Geno would be revealed at the end.

The fact he’s not an AT means he has a good shot and I personally pick him over Bandana dee, Steve, Sora, or 100 fire emblem characters.

Both are fandoms got severely shafted yesterday but don’t give up hope for DLC.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Hoping from the Isaac board. First time here. I’m still clinging for hope that Isaac potentially being dlc but I’m not a fool. I know the chance is beyond slim.

I’m here to say that you guys have a chance. After I saw Isaac as an AT I was recasted but in the back of my mind I was hoping at least Geno would be revealed at the end.

The fact he’s not an AT means he has a good shot and I personally pick him over Bandana dee, Steve, Sora, or 100 fire emblem characters.

Both are fandoms got severely shafted yesterday but don’t give up hope for DLC.
I’m sorry you guys got shafted, I wanted him too, and yesterday felt like a gut punch. :(

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are you sure that was about Verg?

The only person that implied dragon quest was leaky pandy from what I heard

His exact words
"
I don't know when it will come out or be revealed yet. If LeakyPandy is not lying or told something incorrect, there was a tweet that they put out at some point back that the Square Enix character would be DLC and announced at The Game Awards. They hinted at the character being from Dragon Quest too."
About this, several other insiders have said that Square released a bunch of false names as leak bait because supposedly they drop the full hammer of God on leakers. The narrative is that Square goes out of their way to ruin the lives of people who try to leak their stuff. Joking of course but if Pandy was right about DQ the poor guy would have been black baged by now. It also doesn't help that the guy has a comically awful record. I trust Verge when he says no one is sure and people are afraid to make public statements in case they are actually right.

TBone06

Smash Ace
FYI, looking online, it seems Kingdom Heart 3's release date was determined in July of 2017. So to me that timing doesn't really line up if the DLC picks were determined in late 2015/early 2016. So I can't think the argument of "Sora has to be in because of KH3's release coming up" is valid. Sora definitely could still happen, but I think it would be unrelated to that point if he were to make it in.

link2702

Smash Champion
So apparently even though chrom is playable, he's still robin's final smash.

it seems it doesnt matter if a character is something other than playable, they still can be even if it doesnt make sense

Geno, Isaac, everyone else who got the shaft can still make it!

why are you on a geno support thread if you aint gonna support him :/
edit: sorry for doublepost
It’s a troll account.

Literally 30 minutes after he joined, his first posts were on the geno boards basically trying to tell everyone the character we support won’t make it.

Don’t bother arguing, put him on ignore, don’t give them the attention they crave.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said earlier, the scenario for Sora being included would have either been Disney approaching Sakurai or Sakurai approaching Disney. Square would have no reason to be the middle man for a deal they wouldn't profit from which is literally the point of paid DLC. Once again, this decision would have had to have been made by late 2015 too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(Super_Mario_Bros._series)

If this is to be believed, Geno is a spirit. I don’t think that means much to be honest. The only thing I take as damning for someone’s chances is being an AT. ATs are the only piece of the game that historically haven’t crossed over to become playable
Geno was never shown as a Spirit, just as an icon for Battle Arena.

But, yeah, Spirits are essentially glorified trophies/stickers, so meh.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Just ignore any hate that’s thrown at any characters’ support threads, people that hate on characters for no reason isn’t right. (Especially trolling supporters and outright bashing them for a character they want) Though, people that hate on characters kinda make me wanna say bad words, but since I’m gonna be the better person, I choose not to do so. :)

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
That direct was awfully handled. I get annoyed with people who say "you should have kept your expectations in check", I did, I thought the grinch leak seemed credible but knew it could have been easily false. The E3 and August direct were amazing and I expected this one to be as hype as the August one, but instead it killed a lot of hype, which is not something you want to do in your last direct. Not to mention that Sakurai has never dissapointed me yet, he knows how to bring hype.

I expected two more unique characters to be in the base game with one of them being highly requested, some echoes, story mode, other side modes, and trophies . Incineroar was not hype to most people (they should swapped his and K. Rools trailers), we don't get trophies, and a whole bunch of wanted characters were disconfimed which kills hype for DLC. This dissapointment could have easily been avoided

-the character and stage reveals in the August direct should have been in this one.
-showed off all of the wanted characters as AT during E3. Or better, just not make them assists at all so people don't feel that they are deconfirmed
-showed a hype DLC character, even if they have barely started development.

This would have gone a long way.

I also don't like the people throwing tantrums and act unnaprecitive of everything else that came before this. But the mass dissapointment towards this direct is justified.

TBone06

Smash Ace
https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(Super_Mario_Bros._series)

If this is to be believed, Geno is a spirit. I don’t think that means much to be honest. The only thing I take as damning for someone’s chances is being an AT. ATs are the only piece of the game that historically haven’t crossed over to become playable
I think this is just someone who was misinformed. There is no way that icon was a spirit as it was on Online Mode and not Spirits mode. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, wiki sites can be edited by anyone. I don't think he's been seen elsewhere. If he has someone needs to show a screenshot.

They also missed a lot of spirits in other franchises, so I take this as nothing.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have a hard time seeing the Square Enix character being from Dragon Quest too because the last main stream game that was released outside of Japan was Dragon Quest IX for the DS back in 2009. The series has not had a whole lot of success outside Japan and Sakurai has gone on record to saying that he tries to avoid characters that are overwhelmingly more popular in one area than others and I feel like this would be doubled for a third party addition. If you look at the series as a whole, Marth is the only 100% unique character that fit this bill when they came into Smash.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am starting to have doubting thoughts.

With how Sakurai casually approached the Rex Mii DLC costume without thinking much about saving Rex for later to incorporate Rex's huge moveset potential, I am starting to think that Sakurai was just satisfied enough with the Geno Mii costume back in Smash 4 DLC and not do anything more than that. It seems to me that whatever Sakurai reveals first as a Mii costume is something satisfying enough for Sakurai to move on to other matters, especially when it comes to third-party matters, and especially so when it comes to Square Enix.

The K. Rool, Inkling and Isabelle Mii costume from Smash 4 does hold pause on my doubts, but I honestly do not know anymore.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I am starting to have doubting thoughts.

With how Sakurai casually approached the Rex Mii DLC costume without thinking much about saving Rex for later to incorporate Rex's huge moveset potential, I am starting to think that Sakurai was just satisfied enough with the Geno Mii costume back in Smash 4 DLC and not do anything more than that. It seems to me that whatever Sakurai reveals first as a Mii costume is something satisfying enough for Sakurai to move on to other matters, especially when it comes to third-party matters, and especially so when it comes to Square Enix.

The K. Rool, Inkling and Isabelle Mii costume from Smash 4 does hold pause on my doubts, but I honestly do not know anymore.
the whole reason the mii costume was made was because sakurai and fans wanted him playable, the same reason k. rool got a mii costume was to give fans something to wait for when K. Rool actually became playable

we'll get geno for dlc i know it

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
So, because it's been hard keeping up with all of the evidence in Geno's favor--specifically after the Smash Direct--if possible, can someone make a nice bullet-point list compiling all of it for me? I'd really appreciate it, I'm asking because I'm wanting to make a post about why he's still very likely on Instagram. I will for sure give credit!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, because it's been hard keeping up with all of the evidence in Geno's favor--specifically after the Smash Direct--if possible, can someone make a nice bullet-point list compiling all of it for me? I'd really appreciate it, I'm asking because I'm wanting to make a post about why he's still very likely on Instagram. I will for sure give credit!
That would be a nice thing to have. Heck, why not do what the Shantae thread did and just make a google spreadsheet containing all of the evidence behind Geno. From experience, it makes reviewing this sort of thing much easier.

TBone06

Smash Ace

- Wasn't shown as a Spirit (player icon which was on Online Mode, not Spirits mode)
- DLC for Ultimate was picked around the beginning of their development, around the time of the Mii Costume
- Vergeben's support of a Square character. He has been the most consistent leaker
- Other popular characters disconfirmed by Assist Trophy (Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid)
- All arguments that were valid before the final roster revealed

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
  • Geno did not appear as an assist trophy, one of the many factors that people assume deconfirms a character.
  • Geno was shown as a profile picture for online play, not even a spirit (and people are saying that a spirit does not deconfirm a character because people like K. Rool has one, which means Geno is certainly not out of the running.
  • Geno would make Square a lot of money if he were DLC, since he would be an easier character to implement into the game over someone like Sora. Geno is half-owned by Nintendo, and Sakurai has already shown in Smash 4 that he can get permission to use Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom