• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Coming in from the Shantae thread to give you guys hope.

So it appears Spirits aren’t a be all end all after all...

Just know that I’ll be campaigning side by side with y’all.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
On a side note, I genuinely enjoyed PapaGenos' reaction to that Piranha Plant reveal, lol. That's exactly how a lot of us felt.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Really hoping for DLC, and glad that he's still in a grey area instead of outright deconfirmed. that being said, who called 80 characters? after PP and the other 5 that's where we'll end up, so smash down will actually divide nicely in 4's

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why its so hard for people to either read old comments, or research the information themselves. List of things I find to be convincing for Geno.

-Icon/Token Image for Arena Battle. Geno permanently part of the Ultimate Menu, Nothing about being a spirit.
-The DLC were decided back during the initial development for Ultimate, December 15th, also the release date for Cloud, and the Geno and Chocobo Costume.
-The last 3 DLC packs for characters are in the same format we're getting now. Some have said the stage and music could be unrelated to the character. Lucas/Roy/Ryu with Susaku Castle, Cloud and Midgar, Corrin/Bayonetta with Umbra Clock Tower. If DLC was decided for Ultimate at the time of Cloud's Inclusion, which was also 2 months before Bayonetta, than they would have decided the logistics at that time as well. This is why despite Lucas, Roy and Corrin coming out at the same time, werent bundled. Ryu + Susaku, Cloud + Midgar, and Bayonetta + Umbra Clock Tower were all sold at 5.99.
-Square Enix has a MASSIVE queue of games coming to the switch, most are remakes but some new, and the Switch also had the exclusive Octopath Travelers, which Nintendo had massively promoted above their own games. If the Deal with Square had really been made in December of 2015, the 2.5 year development cycle for the remakes and the 2 year on octopath is right on track with their standard development times. Knowing this, Square has done things in the past to force DLC, Multi Version, and Post development on their games and companies wanting to use their content. Its quite possible that Square requested DLC for Geno as a way to push their figures.
-Yoko Shimomura is the Composer for Both Super Mario RPG and Street Fighter 2, and since the launch of the new smash site, weve known shes been composing for Ultimate as the Vega Stage was uploaded and proudly sports her name for the new mix. Not only that, but has done all of the Mario and Luigi Series, all of the Kingdom Hearts, and tracks for Brawl and Smash 4. Her inclusion and on staff position with Nintendo makes funding the musical composition in house and more cost officiant for Square/Nintendo and to a lesser extent disney. While Yoko is the sole Composer for Kingdom Hearts, the entirety of the series is owned by Disney and is actually developed by Square and 4 other companies.
-Ultimate has the least "new" stages of any in the series so far. This is because the effort to bring back so many was a massive development project, as every stage had to be rebuilt and reprogrammed. In addition, every stage had to have a Battle Field and Final Destination iteration created with identical physical properties. This proved to be a huge undertaking and was admitted to be such, and is why so few were shown. So lets break down the 4 and why they are all more important than anything else we would of gotten.

- New Donk City Hall. Actually shown on the site to be developed first as the stages are listed in order of creation minus bf, bbf and fd. This proves that they didnt start developing new stages until very late into ultimate's development cycle as Mario Odyssey wasnt truly complete until last year, and released just over a year ago (Oct 27th, 2017). Interestingly, A Mario Stage has always been the first developed for each smash game. Peach's Castle (64)/Princess Peach's Castle (Melee)/Delfino Plaza (Brawl) Mario 3d Land(3ds)/Mushroom Kingdom U(Wii U). So logically this was THE most important thing to add first.
- The Great Plateau. Very important to the Zelda Franchise, and Launch title to the Switch. Logical second pick, but despite its game coming out way before odyssey was still developed second.
- Moray Towers. Splatoon 2 was a huge part of the Switch's martketing as well as Nintendo's committed jump into esports. Also just behind the first 2 and mario kart for sales.
- Dracula's Castle. Here is where Nintendo starts to develop things for the other games. Considering the huge amount of sink Konami dumped on to Nintendo, they put priority on this one. with 34 music tracks developed, this one series has more music than all other franchises in smash except for mario. Even zelda gets beat out by 1 from its massive list in smash 4 though likely to change with botw which would still make it have the 3rd most represented musically.

-Dracula's Castle alone was likely a massive time sink for nintendo, not to mention all the new mixes for other characters, which you can see on the smash site already. With that in addition to Yoko having to make the new songs for Street Fighter reps like Guile and Ken, it was likely the reason no other stages were developed.

-The Piranha Plant Amiibo comes out February 15th and to get him free you are required to register by January 31st. This time frame also aligns with Nintendo's big Q1 Direct for the year, and all the remaining Square games to come out have yet to receive a date of release. Its implied Piranha Plant will actually come out after Jan 31st with the wording used on the site of becoming playable "when its available". I wouldn't be surprised if DLC 1 came with Piranha Plant on the same day.

With all this information we know, plus the fact Yoko wont be busy come release of Ultimate, A lot is pointing to Geno being DLC. In addition, Vergaben has also stated the first dlc is to be the square enix rep.

The Stars are aligning and serve a higher authority, and for the 12 years I've been competing in smash, I've wanted Geno. I believe his time is now.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
True; but if only six of them are fake; is there any harm in at least giving us names?
I mean, yeah it is flustering, but as he's said in the past, people's jobs would be put in jeopardy since SE has a 0 tolerance for leaks and the fake names given out could be tracked back to certain people/groups of people (working from what he said from memory here and not quoting him exactly). I can't blame him on that - I don't think I'd do different in the same situation.

TBone06

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iG_SQMTJY here is a video I made explaining why Geno still has a chance. spread it around guys so people can get educated.
Love what you said about Smashers not having critical thinking. It's so true. People jump to conclusions way to easily. Good video!

I think it's actually a fake post
Hey Psycho, just for my knowledge, what was this fake post? I missed it before you changed it to "edit: fake post"

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Not sure why its so hard for people to either read old comments, or research the information themselves. List of things I find to be convincing for Geno.

-Icon/Token Image for Arena Battle. Geno permanently part of the Ultimate Menu, Nothing about being a spirit.
-The DLC were decided back during the initial development for Ultimate, December 15th, also the release date for Cloud, and the Geno and Chocobo Costume.
-The last 3 DLC packs for characters are in the same format we're getting now. Some have said the stage and music could be unrelated to the character. Lucas/Roy/Ryu with Susaku Castle, Cloud and Midgar, Corrin/Bayonetta with Umbra Clock Tower. If DLC was decided for Ultimate at the time of Cloud's Inclusion, which was also 2 months before Bayonetta, than they would have decided the logistics at that time as well. This is why despite Lucas, Roy and Corrin coming out at the same time, werent bundled. Ryu + Susaku, Cloud + Midgar, and Bayonetta + Umbra Clock Tower were all sold at 5.99.
-Square Enix has a MASSIVE queue of games coming to the switch, most are remakes but some new, and the Switch also had the exclusive Octopath Travelers, which Nintendo had massively promoted above their own games. If the Deal with Square had really been made in December of 2015, the 2.5 year development cycle for the remakes and the 2 year on octopath is right on track with their standard development times. Knowing this, Square has done things in the past to force DLC, Multi Version, and Post development on their games and companies wanting to use their content. Its quite possible that Square requested DLC for Geno as a way to push their figures.
-Yoko Shimomura is the Composer for Both Super Mario RPG and Street Fighter 2, and since the launch of the new smash site, weve known shes been composing for Ultimate as the Vega Stage was uploaded and proudly sports her name for the new mix. Not only that, but has done all of the Mario and Luigi Series, all of the Kingdom Hearts, and tracks for Brawl and Smash 4. Her inclusion and on staff position with Nintendo makes funding the musical composition in house and more cost officiant for Square/Nintendo and to a lesser extent disney. While Yoko is the sole Composer for Kingdom Hearts, the entirety of the series is owned by Disney and is actually developed by Square and 4 other companies.
-Ultimate has the least "new" stages of any in the series so far. This is because the effort to bring back so many was a massive development project, as every stage had to be rebuilt and reprogrammed. In addition, every stage had to have a Battle Field and Final Destination iteration created with identical physical properties. This proved to be a huge undertaking and was admitted to be such, and is why so few were shown. So lets break down the 4 and why they are all more important than anything else we would of gotten.

- New Donk City Hall. Actually shown on the site to be developed first as the stages are listed in order of creation minus bf, bbf and fd. This proves that they didnt start developing new stages until very late into ultimate's development cycle as Mario Odyssey wasnt truly complete until last year, and released just over a year ago (Oct 27th, 2017). Interestingly, A Mario Stage has always been the first developed for each smash game. Peach's Castle (64)/Princess Peach's Castle (Melee)/Delfino Plaza (Brawl) Mario 3d Land(3ds)/Mushroom Kingdom U(Wii U). So logically this was THE most important thing to add first.
- The Great Plateau. Very important to the Zelda Franchise, and Launch title to the Switch. Logical second pick, but despite its game coming out way before odyssey was still developed second.
- Moray Towers. Splatoon 2 was a huge part of the Switch's martketing as well as Nintendo's committed jump into esports. Also just behind the first 2 and mario kart for sales.
- Dracula's Castle. Here is where Nintendo starts to develop things for the other games. Considering the huge amount of sink Konami dumped on to Nintendo, they put priority on this one. with 34 music tracks developed, this one series has more music than all other franchises in smash except for mario. Even zelda gets beat out by 1 from its massive list in smash 4 though likely to change with botw which would still make it have the 3rd most represented musically.

-Dracula's Castle alone was likely a massive time sink for nintendo, not to mention all the new mixes for other characters, which you can see on the smash site already. With that in addition to Yoko having to make the new songs for Street Fighter reps like Guile and Ken, it was likely the reason no other stages were developed.

-The Piranha Plant Amiibo comes out February 15th and to get him free you are required to register by January 31st. This time frame also aligns with Nintendo's big Q1 Direct for the year, and all the remaining Square games to come out have yet to receive a date of release. Its implied Piranha Plant will actually come out after Jan 31st with the wording used on the site of becoming playable "when its available". I wouldn't be surprised if DLC 1 came with Piranha Plant on the same day.

With all this information we know, plus the fact Yoko wont be busy come release of Ultimate, A lot is pointing to Geno being DLC. In addition, Vergaben has also stated the first dlc is to be the square enix rep.

The Stars are aligning and serve a higher authority, and for the 12 years I've been competing in smash, I've wanted Geno. I believe his time is now.
Ayyy, thanks for this! So far my evidence sheet has been something like this but more compact. I'll probably take some of this info into account!

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say as a follower. Man, after catching with both news and with pages and pages of this thread that Ultimate truly was a topic of discussion. Happiness, anger, despair, hope and hype were all over the place and with Geno, it was shown really.

Guys, when it comes to dismiss this game just for a character can be rough and understandable since I was in the same point, sort of, with Ridley and Smash 4. It was a brytal time but eventually all turned out alright. You see, like with him, Geno was a vocal element with Sakurai. Just like Ridley was at one point. So msybe there is something to think about.

Also, I am glad to know that DLC are (maybe from opinions I have seen here) sorted for the same 'ruling' as the roster with the year 2015 or the ballot results. Which makes choices feel narrow and might give favorites still in the running a chance like Lloyd, Heihachi and who knows, maybe our beloved Star Warrior. (Mii Costumes be a good thing in our favor somehow)

Things might be chaotic and unpredictable with Pirahna Plant (which I must say LOVE since it threw eveyone off and looks fun to play as. A certain for me alongside Ridley) but there might be a light (like with Ultimate's theme) at the end of the tunnel and Geno might be there. Waiting to meet us and be apart of the Ultimate fight.

Point is, do not fall down and take it easy. This series is all for the crossover of characters as Sakurai said and Geno fits right in, particularly after all of the references from Smash 4 onwards (that is including mentions by Sakurai and otherwise). So, keep going and shine on. Just like the stars~

:bowser:.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
geno's late to the party because he had to drive piranha plant over and there was traffic. they got starbucks on the way.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have the most hope for Geno out of any other character that I want. I'm not fed up with Sakurai like some people... I'm putting my trust in Sakurai to round out the big three.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I heard that Vergeben said that Geno's Mii Costume was cut, but I don't see a source, so I don't believe it. Does anyone know if this is true, or have any of you heard it?

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Is Forest Maze seriously and literally the only SMRPG stage people want? For what reason? Simply because you recruit Geno there? There are much better choices, and the maze concept won't translate well as a stage... That stage doesn't represent the game well at all...

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
What about Tadpole Pond, or Nimbus Land? That would give a more direct nod to Mallow, which would be kinda cool in my opinion.

(Just as long as we get Beware the Forest Mushrooms as one of the tracks, I’m good)

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's the best case scenario, yup. But I don't see them giving us more than 1 traveling stage.
And I'm pretty sure that this will be the Minecraft's stage (because I think that a Microsoft DLC with Banjo & Kazooie as the character, Minecraft as a stage and music from Banjo-Kazooie games).

I just though about something interesting. We know that Sakurai has the rights of something from SMRPG (Geno). We don't know if he has more thing from the game (in my opinion, something like Mallow as a spirit is not impossible). Imagine if there's other things rom Super Mario RPG in the game but no music. That would be a really good thing for us, because it would be a hint that they keep it for Geno's DLC.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's the best case scenario, yup. But I don't see them giving us more than 1 traveling stage.
And I'm pretty sure that this will be the Minecraft's stage (because I think that a Microsoft DLC with Banjo & Kazooie as the character, Minecraft as a stage and music from Banjo-Kazooie games).

I just though about something interesting. We know that Sakurai has the rights of something from SMRPG (Geno). We don't know if he has more thing from the game (in my opinion, something like Mallow as a spirit is not impossible). Imagine if there's other things rom Super Mario RPG in the game but no music. That would be a really good thing for us, because it would be a hint that they keep it for Geno's DLC.
With how casually Geno was showed of; I almost wonder if Nintendo bought Geno back lmao.

Klimax

Smash Ace
It was just a bad looking pre-existing image, but hey, they still have to pay for it. :laugh:
So, if there's no music from SMRPG in the base game, that would be a good thing. The more content from SMRPG there is in the base game (except music), the more things are looking good for Geno.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/400-current-events/77163557?jumpto=87#87

ive been trying to read up on vergeben's posts to see about geno, but i dont have a gamefaqs account so i cant access it. if anyone does do you mind maybe showing what verge said there?
He didn't really say much. He's been mostly reiterating what that Hitagi dude over on Reddit so people aren't confused on what he says between the two of them, and he hasn't mentioned Geno at all by name. In that specific link you put, he's just letting someone know that a screenshot of him saying something he really didn't was fake lol.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I gave up on the idea to have the Square rep leaked. I'm pretty sure we'll have to wait for an official reveal.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Oh damn, thought I posted again but didnt.

Seeing the Geno Mii-Gunner Costume would be damning against geno tbh. Its not just a copy/paste. Since the Mii's whole structure was redesigned, each skin has to be rebuilt. If that costume is gone, it could be a hard confirm.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Apparently the Square character is fairly early on in the DLC cycle, so we don't need to wait much longer. Thank goodness lol

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Can someone give me a source saying DLC for Ultimate was finished in 2015.
The direct literally proved it. "We couldn't add Rex and pyra because when his game came out were already finished or began development on dlc."
Screenshot_20180809-235935_Chrome.jpg

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Star Road might work as the foundation for a traveling stage. Maybe the wishes of characters like Mallow, Booster, Toadofsky, and Smithy are littered around the level. If you activate a specific wish then unlock one of those giant star gateways you'll be transported to Numbus Land, Tadpole Pond, Booster's Tower, or Smithy's Factory. It's probably too much work for one stage, though.

If I had to pick one part of the world, I might go with Smithy's Factory because you'd have a chance to encounter all the bosses from the game similar to Dracula's Tower. The track from that level is also really strong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td0-5DrsQNI

paper roxy

Smash Ace
honestly, even ignoring any confirmation bias i cant see the square enix rep being anyone other than geno tbh

like, DQ doesn't have the same amount of appeal in america as it does in japan (and im not even sure theres a mascot other than the slime? idk though), chrono appeals to a crowd somehow more niche than geno, sora is mainly a disney character and not even square is able to use him in many spinoffs, and another final fantasy rep probably wouldnt have the wide appeal of cloud.

it just genuinely wouldnt make sense for any SE character other than geno to be dlc, but who knows, maybe there'll be more than one wave of dlc

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
honestly, even ignoring any confirmation bias i cant see the square enix rep being anyone other than geno tbh

like, DQ doesn't have the same amount of appeal in america as it does in japan (and im not even sure theres a mascot other than the slime? idk though), chrono appeals to a crowd somehow more niche than geno, sora is mainly a disney character and not even square is able to use him in many spinoffs, and another final fantasy rep probably wouldnt have the wide appeal of cloud.

it just genuinely wouldnt make sense for any SE character other than geno to be dlc, but who knows, maybe there'll be more than one wave of dlc
While I was researching everything square has on and coming to the switch, DQ actually is Japan exclusive for its Main game. When Nintendo claims they chose Bayo because of world wide popularity but it was most popular in EU, I'd say its not to much of a reach to say DQ is off the table. Also dont they need Toei affirmation as well due to akira toriyama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom