• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
"Geno was a pretty hot topic at the office, so I drew him," or something like that.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
While I was researching everything square has on and coming to the switch, DQ actually is Japan exclusive for its Main game. When Nintendo claims they chose Bayo because of world wide popularity but it was most popular in EU, I'd say its not to much of a reach to say DQ is off the table. Also dont they need Toei affirmation as well due to akira toriyama?
im. actually not sure. if toriyama has the rights to those characters, then the only characters that wouldnt need a double negotiation are geno or a final fantasy rep

Klimax

Smash Ace
While I was researching everything square has on and coming to the switch, DQ actually is Japan exclusive for its Main game. When Nintendo claims they chose Bayo because of world wide popularity but it was most popular in EU, I'd say its not to much of a reach to say DQ is off the table. Also dont they need Toei affirmation as well due to akira toriyama?
Dragon Quest's characters are to Akira Toriyama what Sora is to Square Enix. He created them, but he's not the owner.

That's funny when you think about it: Akira Toriyama created characters and Square Enix own them.
Square Enix created characters but Disney own them.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Is Forest Maze seriously and literally the only SMRPG stage people want? For what reason? Simply because you recruit Geno there? There are much better choices, and the maze concept won't translate well as a stage... That stage doesn't represent the game well at all...
The forest maze is one of the most iconic places of super Mario rpg and especially too Geno fans who want him for smash bros. Plus you don't know sakurai if you think a forest would be hard to turn into a stage. One more thing if the forest mushrooms music wasn't hint for what area he would pick for a stage during Geno's mii costume reveal then i don't know what to tell you.
W
Wait.
Late 2015.
Wasn't the Nintendo artist made geno art from December 2015?
Yes she said in quote " Everyone has been talking about Geno at the office recently so i made this in thought of Geno" or something like that

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Well, so far, this is the info sheet sorta thing I've got done.

"•Wasn't shown as a Spirit (is a player icon on Online Mode, though that doesn't elude to Spirits)
-Clap Trap is a player icon as well. However, it is also a Spirit. In which his Spirit for some reason is a different render from his Online Mode icon. Strange, huh?
-Furthermore, being a Spirit does not deconfirm a character, as every character so far has been seen to have one.
•DLC for Ultimate was picked around the beginning of their development, around the time of the Mii Costumes.
•Vergeben's support of a Square character. He has been the most consistent leaker, atm being 100% so far.
-Vergeben is also saying the Square rep is for sure the first DLC. We could see Geno sooner or later!
•Other popular characters deconfirmed by Assist Trophy (Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid), yet Geno wasn't in that masquerade.
•Sakurai noting in the November 1st Smash Direct said this about the DLC: "Only those who are confident in its value should purchase it.” Now, it may be straw grasping, but this could elude to the DLC being pretty specific as in terms of who it's for. Such as, you know, Geno for all of the Geno fans, or like Banjo & Kazooie."

If y'all have anything else to add to this as a, specifically, after the Smash Direct type evidence, I'd appreciate it! I'm sure there's a lot more!

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
The Hype train officially just left for me. I have no doubts in believing Vergaben, unless were getting another FF character, Geno is just above the competition.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
so with the square characters and ownership, the only ones that are solely owned by square are geno and the final fantasy characters, right?

Klimax

Smash Ace
Holy hell, Square doesnt own DQ either. Yuji Horii and his company Armor Project own it.

So:
Dragon Quest is not owned by Square Enix (but I would bury it, it's probably second party just like what's Pokemon is to Nintendo)
Kingdom Hearts is not owned by Square Enix (good luck to have Sora in Smash when he has Mickey's head on his keyblade)
Chrono Trigger has basically no chance.
There's no demand for Lara Croft (thanks god, she sucks now).
Final Fantasy is out of the equation (having rights on musics is a pain in the ass and only FF7 is represented in Smash, not the rest of the franchise)

Geno must be the Square rep !

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
The one thing that really worries me about Geno’s chances is the idea of them having two Mario series DLC characters back-to-back. I still think that he honestly has a pretty good chance for DLC, but if the first one announced really is the SE character, that seems like it’d bring down his chances quite a bit.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The one thing that really worries me about Geno’s chances is the idea of them having two Mario series DLC characters back-to-back. I still think that he honestly has a pretty good chance for DLC, but if the first one announced really is the SE character, that seems like it’d bring down his chances quite a bit.
ive said this a few times, but if we had 2 fire emblem dlc fighters, 2 mario ones isnt a stretch.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel like we may get Sora, what with those dice in the background of the Direct seeming to have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts, but not even that; Spawn Wave seems to hint at his reveal taking place at the VGA's.

However, I believe we can get Geno as well, and who knows, maybe Sora won't happen.

I actually find it odd how Spawn Wave supposedly knows the SE character yet Vergeben can't say who without risking his sources' jobs, and he has a list of seven character names.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
They'll also remind everyone that Geno is in because of their relationship with Square Enix. Geno will be treated as a third party... who's also a Mario character.
We can't compare this situation with anything else because I think that Geno is the only character in that situation.

Kingdom Hearts is still not coming to the Nintendo Switch, I don't believe in Sora's chances.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
K so? He for one is a SQUARE ENIX rep not Nintendo's so he couldn't be a mario rep. We got pokemon trainer back and each of his pokemon count as characters yet we still got inceneroar.
Plus sakurai doesn't think in reps. Sakurai many times said this. So that is nothing to worry about.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
so with the square characters and ownership, the only ones that are solely owned by square are geno and the final fantasy characters, right?
Well, there's Nier: Automata which was developed by Platinum who also developed Bayonetta. However, Nier was released in 2017 and 2B is already a guest in Soul Calibur 6. There's the Chrono series, but you're also dealing with Akira Toriyama in that case, similar to Dragon Quest. Tomb Raider is another possibility. Lara Croft is a universally recognizable gaming character.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
ive said this a few times, but if we had 2 fire emblem dlc fighters, 2 mario ones isnt a stretch.
Oh, no, it isn’t a stretch overall.

What I’m calling a stretch is releasing two in a row. Roy and Corrin had two major third-party reveals between them, but having Pirahna and then Geno immediately after might be a bad idea. Still hoping he gets in either way, maybe even as a second Square character.

K so? He for one is a SQUARE ENIX rep not Nintendo's so he couldn't be a mario rep. We got pokemon trainer back and each of his pokemon count as characters yet we still got inceneroar.
Plus sakurai doesn't think in reps. Sakurai many times said this. So that is nothing to worry about.
Well, imagine if Piranha Plant was part of the base roster and Incineroar was the pre-order bonus, and the first character of the pass was another Pokemon. Wouldn’t that seem weird to you?

Again, I really want to see Geno in, but the circumstances have me a bit worried.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Well, there's Nier: Automata which was developed by Platinum who also developed Bayonetta. However, Nier was released in 2017 and 2B is already a guest in Soul Calibur 6. There's the Chrono series, but you're also dealing with Akira Toriyama in that case, similar to Dragon Quest. Tomb Raider is another possibility. Lara Croft is a universally recognizable gaming character.
Tomb Raider is not good anymore. Lara Croft is kinda has-been since mid 2000. Her new games and her new character suck.
She was once a real mainstream icon (she was so famous that her popularity was beyond the gaming world), she was like every nerds' ultimate sexual fantasy. That's not the case anymore. Who cares about Tomb Raider anymore ? These games are generic Triple A games. And not even good ones, they're mediocre at best.

Lara Croft Angelina Jolie's version was legit.
Generic teen Lara Croft is really, really lame.
It's like comparing Nathan Drake to Indiana Jones.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Unless you count the Rabbids + Mario being a mario character and Ubisoft.

So
Sora - Counted as Disney
Dragon quest - Armor Project
Crono from Chrono Trigger is still on Nintendo's licensing however, though I am seeing it on Square's as well.

Idk, I'd hard say were getting Geno.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
They'll also remind everyone that Geno is in because of their relationship with Square Enix. Geno will be treated as a third party... who's also a Mario character.
We can't compare this situation with anything else because I think that Geno is the only character in that situation.

Kingdom Hearts is still not coming to the Nintendo Switch, I don't believe in Sora's chances.
yea, with cloud i could understand adding him without any nintendo connection. he's literally a gaming icon and arguably more recognizable than solid snake, but sora isnt that at all. i cant imagine sakurai picking sora over his boy geno when sora would just be a walking advertisement for a game that isnt even releasing on their console

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Tomb Raider is not good anymore. Lara Croft is kinda has-been since mid 2000. Her new games and her new character suck.
She was once a real mainstream icon (she was so famous that her popularity was beyond the gaming world), she was like every nerds' ultimate sexual fantasy. That's not the case anymore. Who cares about Tomb Raider anymore ? These games are generic Triple A games. And not even good ones, they're mediocre at best.

Lara Croft Angelina Jolie's version was legit.
Generic teen Lara Croft is really, really lame.
It's like comparing Nathan Drake to Indiana Jones.
While I agree with you, I'd refrain from making subjective opinions.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Unless you count the Rabbids + Mario being a mario character and Ubisoft.

So
Sora - Counted as Disney
Dragon quest - Armor Project
Crono from Chrono Trigger is still on Nintendo's licensing however, though I am seeing it on Square's as well.

Idk, I'd hard say were getting Geno.
chrono is the only square character id be ok with getting in over geno tbh, mostly because we'd probably get an alt that makes him look like goku and thatd be hilarious

Klimax

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Dragon Quest is probably a second party, just like Pokemon is owned by the Pokemon Company and not Nintendo. I wouldn't disqualify Dragon Quest because of this point.

However, what disqualifies Dragon Quest is the fact that there's not an iconic main character (I love Dragon Quest, but that's a fact, no one remembers the main protagonists of these games). Slime is their most iconic character. And I don't think that they'll pick him.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i think i'll officially give up hype for geno if sora of all characters gets in and not him

like, not only is sora disney, his only non-kingdom hearts appearance so far has been as a limited time summon for a square game. not only that, kingdom hearts 3 isn't releasing for switch. with cloud that was fine since hes an iconic character in gaming history, but sora would just be an advertisement for kingdom hearts 3, and i doubt disney would let it happen any other way.

theres other square characters, sure, but sora doesnt really have much of a chance

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Oh, no, it isn’t a stretch overall.

What I’m calling a stretch is releasing two in a row. Roy and Corrin had two major third-party reveals between them, but having Pirahna and then Geno immediately after might be a bad idea. Still hoping he gets in either way, maybe even as a second Square character.
I feel like we may get Sora, what with those dice in the background of the Direct seeming to have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts, but not even that; Spawn Wave seems to hint at his reveal taking place at the VGA's.

However, I believe we can get Geno as well, and who knows, maybe Sora won't happen.

I actually find it odd how Spawn Wave supposedly knows the SE character yet Vergeben can't say who without risking his sources' jobs, and he has a list of seven character names.

The funny thing is, I actually feel like if the Square rep is revealed first it might actually raise Geno's chances (a bit). Smash Bros. reveals have always tended to front load with more old school picks to rope the hardcore crowd back in early, and this cycle was no different. Maybe Geno would be the DLC's version of Ridley. That said, with KH3's release at the end of January, Sora does also make a ton of sense. On a side note, I can't see the whole VGA Sora reveal if they haven't begun development yet. Maybe it's just a, "Hey we're making Sora!" though.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys I was thinking about the possible DLC Who it could be.

Looking back on Smash 4 DLC in general, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy first off perfect was glad they returned great.

Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta. They were the ones not everyone was happy about, nowadays most of us are glad their in but still they might not. Have been best picks for everyone.

Anyway point is DLC might not be who we want it to be. Geno has a huge chance but maybe dosen't.

I still believe he's in but let 's also keep in mind Salurai is unpredictable and the Sqaure Enix rep could be anyone. So if Sora a Dragon Quest character or someone else is it, and not Geno. Be prepared.

But also don't worry I believe he has a chance and still trust his chances.

Last edited by a moderator:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Hey guys I was thinking about the possible DLC Who it could be.

Looking back on Smash 4 DLC in general, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy first off perfect was glad they returned great.

Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta. They were the ones not everyone was happy about, nowadays most of us are glad their in but still they might not. Have been best picks for everyone.

Anyway point is DLC might not be who we want it to be. Geno has a huge chance but maybe dosen't.

I still believe he's in but let 's also keep on mind Salurai is unpredictable and the Sqaure Enix rep could be anyone. So if Sora a Dragon Quest character or someone else is it, and not Geno. Be prepared.

But also don't worry I believe he has a chance and still trust his chances.
sora and dragon quest would honestly be more surprising than piranha plant

Klimax

Smash Ace
yea, with cloud i could understand adding him without any nintendo connection. he's literally a gaming icon and arguably more recognizable than solid snake, but sora isnt that at all. i cant imagine sakurai picking sora over his boy geno when sora would just be a walking advertisement for a game that isnt even releasing on their console
Also, Sora is so much owned by Disney that there's the damn Mickey Mouse's logo on his keyblade. Of course Nintendo would have to talk with Disney to get him. And they don't seem to communicate at this moment, they had a good opportunity to work together for a cameo in Wreck It Ralph 2 but they didn't.

While I agree with you, I'd refrain from making subjective opinions.
Yeah, I injected too many opinions in my post, that's right. But what's objective is that, back in the days, Tomb Raider was a juggernaut and everyone talked about him. Now, that's not the case anymore, sure, many people talked about the 2013 game because it was supposed to be that great comeback. But since this game ? We don't hear that much about it.

But back in the days, Lara Croft was really mainstream, an icon of the pop culture. And among the gaming community, she was a juggernaut, nearly every gamer of the late 90's heard about the urban legend that there's a code to have her naked. :laugh:

For all of this reasons, I'm not too worried about Lara.

D

Deleted member

Your right and probably better chances.

A freaking plant, oye Sakurai just why?

Anyway yeah I hear you they'd be surprising and cool.

But hope it's Geno we'll see.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It’s worth noting as well that Final Fantasy is a series with a massive history and future relating to Nintendo, even if their most recognizable character, the one chosen to represent the series, actually wasn’t really part of said history.

With KH, only three games out of ten were on Nintendo platforms, and they were all handheld titles. The series has no possible future with Nintendo because the Switch would literally be unable to run KH3(something they admitted when talking about porting FFXV), and it isn’t a Banjo situation either because there isn’t a looming standalone device to put any KH games on that Nintendo could cross-promote. Sora would just kind of be a weird choice.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I have some juicy info about Geno being early dlv but I'm not sure if it's okay to say what I've heard.
To put it bluntly, there is a rumor within NoA saying Geno is playable. Not that it confirms hin, but the last 4 internal rumors I heard were true, so I'm optimistic in this. I'm tired and on mobile, so I won't explain too much. I'm friends with a brand ambassador who writes books and gets review copies, and he told me some of this juicy water cooler talk. I'd even link his content but I'm not sure it's okay for me to disclose his stuff with nintendo, might cost him some issues.

I'm nor an insider or claiming to leak. Just wanted to tell my geno friends that I'm hearing some stuff about Geno that makes him seem very likely to me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Eh, I’m able to say Geno has a chance these days and that is about it. If they’re revealing something at VGA though, I have serious doubts about that character being Geno. That kind of feels like TOO big of an event for him. I know he is popular, but he isn’t that popular either. Sora or Dragon Quest makes way more sense and are the more likely reps.

I’m just terrified DLC is going to be all third party advertisement reps. Depending on who those are, that isn’t the worst thing, but still, I’m afraid Sakurai is going to move even further away from the Nintendo part of Smash with this DLC and not continue the fan support.

The one hope is the timing of DLC being chosen. Late 2015-Early 2016 would indicate too early to know the timing for Sora hopefully. Would also hopefully mean any chance of say, a Rabbid from the Ubisoft side of things is gone. Newer big reps are all gone Nintendo wise. The competition hopefully isn’t so great for him, but who knows. With Vergeben telling us what he knows, I just don’t have much faith. We’re going to get Steve and a Dragon Quest Rep before Banjo Kazooie and Geno I feel and that just hurts me a little inside...

If that ****ing Granblue **** is true, I’m actually going to be livid though.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I have some juicy info about Geno being early dlv but I'm not sure if it's okay to say what I've heard.
To put it bluntly, there is a rumor within NoA saying Geno is playable. Not that it confirms hin, but the last 4 internal rumors I heard were true, so I'm optimistic in this. I'm tired and on mobile, so I won't explain too much. I'm friends with a brand ambassador who writes books and gets review copies, and he told me some of this juicy water cooler talk. I'd even link his content but I'm not sure it's okay for me to disclose his stuff with nintendo, might cost him some issues.

I'm nor an insider or claiming to leak. Just wanted to tell my geno friends that I'm hearing some stuff about Geno that makes him seem very likely to me.
I hope this is true.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i dont think this is confirmed though. but even then i dont think vga is too big for geno, hes a highly requested character and anyone who actually cares about the smash announcements would know who he is tbh
Considering Funky Kong was revealed at the VGA, who knows? LOL

---

I'm not sure we should listen to rumors though.

False hope or Premature Failure.

Good, bad.

Let's just keep up our support as much as we have been.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
i dont think this is confirmed though. but even then i dont think vga is too big for geno, hes a highly requested character and anyone who actually cares about the smash announcements would know who he is tbh
I doubt that's exactly true. The Game Awards has turned into a much bigger event over the past few years with a notable audience. Geno is a much more core gamer pick overall, and while great for Smash fans, isn't quite the show stopper sort of material you'd have there specifically.

Like Nintendo showed off the FIRST FOOTAGE of Breath of the Wild and revealed Bayonneta 3 in past TGAs. I'm sorry, I love Geno and he has a strong fan base, but there is exactly zero chance that his announcement can stack up alongside those sorts of announcements.

Dragon Quest doesn't exactly fit that bill either, but they seem to be making another strong push for Dragon Quest in the West as of recent, so the timing might be right. Especially if they announce a localization of Dragon Quest XI on Switch or something of the sort.

Sora can speaks for himself, he'd be the undisputed "most hype" choice overall seeing as how many people not only want him in Smash, but recognize him. The Disney situation aside, he is one of the biggest Japanese characters not in the game, and would be an absolutely massive announcement for the series. In a way that Geno can never be even if he is pleasing to the fans.

I'm not hear to **** on my most wanted character, but I am going to definitely acknowledge the reality of his situation. VGAs just doesn't seem like the right timing at all for him.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The whole VGA rumor came from Leaky Pandy. Who doesn't have the best track record. So, who knows?

And if it's true, Leaky Pandy implied it'd be a Dragon Quest character

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
The exact quote from the 2015 Geno art was:

“ Super Mario RPG has been a topic lately at the studio so Geno felt right to draw :)

The timing of it to Sakurai and Co finalizing the DLC roster is intriguing, but the quote itself doesn’t say Geno was specifically discussed.

But then, how can you talk about SMRPG without talking about Geno?

I dunno...Just thinking out loud at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom