• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The exact quote from the 2015 Geno art was:

“ Super Mario RPG has been a topic lately at the studio so Geno felt right to draw :)

The timing of it to Sakurai and Co finalizing the DLC roster is intriguing, but the quote itself doesn’t say Geno was specifically discussed.

But then, how can you talk about SMRPG without talking about Geno?

I dunno...Just thinking out loud at this point.
i mean, "geno felt right to draw" implies geno was talked about

hashupa

Smash Rookie
Okay. My heart hurts a little less now. I've had time to clear my head and although I am still pretty unhappy with the final reveals, I am ready to talk about my boy Geno again. I'll start with a couple of stage and music ideas that I would love to see if Geno ends up being part of the DLC pass.

Forest Maze. Yeah yeah. Everyone is clamoring for it. I think this one would work nicely as a stage, though. My idea for this stage would be to have it set on the big stump where you fight Bowyer. Fairly modestly sized, you can be knocked off the sides of the screen or also fall off the sides of the stump.
Stage Hazards: I'd be overjoyed to have Bowyer himself as a stage hazard. He could be spectating the fight from the background, then randomly fire arrows into the air every so often. These would disappear seconds after hitting the stage, or disappear when they hit a player. The arrows prevent a type of action for a couple seconds or so. Shielding, regular attacks, special attacks, or the ability to pick up items can be affected, but only one will be affected at a time. Bowyer could either announce which action will be disabled, or there could be a UI element that will show all players what will be disabled if hit.

Bowser's Castle. Another common choice I've seen. This could be a pretty unique stage, if not a little too chaotic. It would be set on two chandeliers held up by chomp chains. The look of characters walking on the chandeliers might look a little unnatural, but I think the team could pull off something like that and make it look good.
Stage Hazards: The chandeliers are held up by chomp chains. The chomps have a hidden health bar, that when depleted, causes them to enter a "panic" mode. Their health bar is reset here and if it's not fully depleted within a short period of time, they regain their composure. If killed, they release that chandelier and it is OUT of the fight for a period of time. It eventually gets replaced by another chandelier being lowered down.

Music: Literally anything from this game would sound amazing smashified.

Hopefully no one feels wall of text'd by this, but I figure I'd come back to this topic with some optimism this time.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Considering Funky Kong was revealed at the VGA, who knows? LOL

---

I'm not sure we should listen to rumors though.

False hope or Premature Failure.

Good, bad.

Let's just keep up our support as much as we have been.
HOLY **** I FORGOT FUNKY WAS A VGA REVEAL. That was truly a day of real salt if memory serves me correctly for not being Metroid Prime 4 when the Wii U needed a real boost.

Nevermind my comments, Geno can work for the VGAs with that in mind.

And I know it's just LeakyPanda's rumor. But didn't Verge seem to think that this was correct or likely at least? That's where my current pessimism seems to come from. Verge just seems to be our damn word of God for now unfortunately. I wish he didn't act the way he did (I get he's human, but it makes him sound worse and his predictions less reliable) and his format of leaks seems odd. I also just don't love people who can't back up those sources with reliable proof, but that's a matter of how the industry does things for now...

DLC just scares me. Steve and Sora may be huge characters, but when the competition is Banjo Kazooie and Geno, that just does kind of hurt me internally if we're talking odds...

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I have some juicy info about Geno being early dlv but I'm not sure if it's okay to say what I've heard.
To put it bluntly, there is a rumor within NoA saying Geno is playable. Not that it confirms hin, but the last 4 internal rumors I heard were true, so I'm optimistic in this. I'm tired and on mobile, so I won't explain too much. I'm friends with a brand ambassador who writes books and gets review copies, and he told me some of this juicy water cooler talk. I'd even link his content but I'm not sure it's okay for me to disclose his stuff with nintendo, might cost him some issues.

I'm nor an insider or claiming to leak. Just wanted to tell my geno friends that I'm hearing some stuff about Geno that makes him seem very likely to me.
how do we know we can trust you?

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Iconic in what way? Simply because you meet Geno there? Places like Monster Town and Star Hill are more memorable if you ask me.
The forest maze is one of the most iconic places of super Mario rpg and especially too Geno fans who want him for smash bros. Plus you don't know sakurai if you think a forest would be hard to turn into a stage. One more thing if the forest mushrooms music wasn't hint for what area he would pick for a stage during Geno's mii costume reveal then i don't know what to tell you.

Yes she said in quote " Everyone has been talking about Geno at the office recently so i made this in thought of Geno" or something like that

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Hey, just saying i'm still here. I believe Geno will be in Smash.

Now pass me that supporter tea please.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
DLC just scares me. Steve and Sora may be huge characters, but when the competition is Banjo Kazooie and Geno, that just does kind of hurt me internally if we're talking odds...
i mean, like we've all been talking for a while, sora just doesnt make any sense to be in. he doesnt really have anything going for him over geno. i get being kinda worried though

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Regular Wii Fit Trainer was shown off as a spirit this evening, along with a regular spirit for Daisy (don't have a screen of that one). This is even more evidence than the non-default Male Wii Fit Trainer and Kaptain K Rool spirits we'd seen before.
IMG_20181103_001845.jpg

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Regular Wii Fit Trainer was shown off as a spirit this evening, along with a regular spirit for Daisy (don't have a screen of that one). This is even more evidence than the non-default Male Wii Fit Trainer and Kaptain K Rool spirits we'd seen before.View attachment 175262
nothing will ever make me feel more uncomfortable than seeing kazuhira next to these characters now that he's a spirit

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I have some juicy info about Geno being early dlv but I'm not sure if it's okay to say what I've heard.
To put it bluntly, there is a rumor within NoA saying Geno is playable. Not that it confirms hin, but the last 4 internal rumors I heard were true, so I'm optimistic in this. I'm tired and on mobile, so I won't explain too much. I'm friends with a brand ambassador who writes books and gets review copies, and he told me some of this juicy water cooler talk. I'd even link his content but I'm not sure it's okay for me to disclose his stuff with nintendo, might cost him some issues.

I'm nor an insider or claiming to leak. Just wanted to tell my geno friends that I'm hearing some stuff about Geno that makes him seem very likely to me.
is there anyway you could dig a little deeper and ask how tha person knows Geno will be playable because after that grinch leak and from what sakurai said the dlc characters havent been developed yet. so the dude must have seen or heard the geno details. also please tell us the other rumors you've heard that came true. I dont want to be dissappointed again so please I hope that you are true man.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

What have you shown or heard before that would give you some credibility here?
I haven't seen you around here, and it's odd that you would come here of all places to tell us something this important instead of a more general discussion board.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
i mean, like we've all been talking for a while, sora just doesnt make any sense to be in. he doesnt really have anything going for him over geno. i get being kinda worried though
I think we tend to be a little too dismissive of Sora. He may be Disney owned, and I'm sure that's a giant hassle legally speaking. But that could just be the more paperwork side of things whereas the actual development and cooperation would be with Tetsuya Nomura as the creator. He's still the Director of the franchise and Disney clearly trusts him with the character and the franchise. If the focus moves away from the legal paperwork at that point, I fully believe they'd just delegate Sora as a character to him with regards to Smash. And he's going to be infinitely easier to work with than the whole of Disney.

I just don't think he's going to be that easy to dismiss. There's a lot of seemingly circumstantial evidence to say he should have worse odds, but if this hype cycle taught me anything, don't believe circumstantial evidence! He's still a huge character from a huge franchise that would be an excellent opportunity for Nintendo. He's the polar opposite of Geno is just about every way (Mainstream appeal, currently relevant, difficult to license vs hardcore fan appeal, completely irrelevant, already licensed and easy to incorporate).

Nothing is necessarily out of the running til Sakurai has had his say. And Dragon Quest isn't going away either. Especially with the DQ11 push as of recent and the Builders' games doing work for the franchise too. I wouldn't even put it past Sakurai to have Square Enix facilitate those relations with the further removed companies to get those characters. Geno has another difficult fight ahead of him for a DLC position.

And it may well be that Sakurai gets less of a say in things if such massive opportunities are at hand for big DLC cross promotions...

RingJ5

Smash Ace
It’s certainly giving me more and more hope that throughout all these Spirits, Geno has not actually been seen even once. I know full well that Spirits don’t deconfirm, but having him conspicuously absent is nice, makes it seem more and more like they’re saving him for later use.

And the idea of a Dragon Quest character being revealed at the VGAs is honestly dumb. If the idea of two Mario characters being revealed in a row as DLC seemed a bit weird to me, the idea that the first two characters are both generic low-level enemies would be far, far weirder, because the only DQ choice worth announcing at the VGAs would be Slime. The VGAs are a heavily America-centric event, and the vast majority of people watching would legitimately recognize Geno ten times over compared to literally any given DQ protagonist, if only because of Smash speculation.

Sora’s certainly possible, though he’d be weird for quite a few reasons, the main being “literally promoting a game out next month on systems that are not your own, which could actually impact sales of said game directly as people wait for some form of KH Switch announcement that might never actually happen”.

Chrono isn’t impossible either, but would be a strange pick as Square seems to want nothing to do with that series anymore.

But as for Geno... well, part of me can totally see them suddenly wanting to fast-track a Geno reveal after the events of the last few months, and I’m not just talking about the Grinch.

We’ve known about Box Theory since literally a couple minutes after the September 13th Direct, and you could immediately see the intense negative reaction to it. No one wanted it to come true besides people that were intentionally being contrarian, and Geno was the name constantly being thrown around during that period of time as the next most obvious choice. And then, a full month-and-a-half later, the Grinch happened and made him even more of a hot topic than he already was. It makes perfect sense to me, as much as this feels weird to say, that they might want to counter a sense of growing disappointment by fast-tracking a particular newcomer that was heavily thrown around during speculation season, which lends to the earlier rumors of him already being playable.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Just read Verge's comments on Gamefaqs. Gonna have to agree with Eric, we should be very cautious about getting too excited for DLC. He did not say anything specific about the Square Rep beyond that it's the first to be announced. However, he believes that the guy that leaked Minecraft Steve is credible, and he mentioned that this leaker recently stated that Nintendo is deep in talks regarding a Granblue character.

If this is all true, then the ballot may not hold as much weight with DLC as we hoped. That said, if the DLC was finalized in 2015, then these Granblue talks may mean a Fighter Pass Season 2 is possible, and more character slots are only a good thing for the remaining absent fan-favorites. At the very least, we'll have a better idea about Geno's chances soon.

D

Deleted member

y'know, I'm not really active in support threads anymore, but i would like to show some support.
I used to be really opposed to Geno (some people here may already know it) but during the brief time i believed the box theory, i was convinced that he's going to be the final unique newcomer and gradually began to accept him, and i even started playing Mario RPG to "bond" with him (I stopped after recruiting him but I plan to continue when i have more free time).
Alas, I was wrong (which is unfortunate because I'd take just about anyone not named Skull Kid over what we actually got), but I still support Geno. He's currently seating at number 10 in my most wanted list (4th if you only count those I have any hope for since most are either disconfirmed or I just don't have any hope for) and I'd be very happy to see him added as DLC.
I probably won't be very active in this thread, but I'd still like to be added to the support list.

Last edited by a moderator:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Something that I just remembered: this interview states that Sakurai had basically no issues at all getting Cloud into Smash, and was even briefly warned against adding him because Cloud wasn’t a relevant character at the time, so it doesn’t exactly sound like corporate meddling would be a factor in the decision.

Last edited:

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
goodness you guys. I know I've posted a lot about how I love searching the hashtag #geno on Instagram to see all the art, and all that's popped up the past two days are drawings of Geno getting eaten by Piranha Plant and it's so depressing. I really hope the fan art for him doesn't just slow down suddenly, or worse, stop altogether. Makes me sad that so many people have given up on him. I won't give up until I see who the five DLC characters are. I've waited so damn long, what's another year?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
That one shot in the direct of Geno had to of been purposely but in there, Sakurai knows how much fan support there is for him... but I wonder why he decided to show him?

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
That one shot in the direct of Geno had to of been purposely but in there, Sakurai knows how much fan support there is for him... but I wonder why he decided to show him?
I have watched the online section of the direct numerous times looking for that image of shulk with the geno icon. I can find it nowhere. I think it may be fake. Can anyone provide a timestamp?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I have watched the online section of the direct numerous times looking for that image of shulk with the geno icon. I can find it nowhere. I think it may be fake. Can anyone provide a timestamp?
Sure: 20:55

Pause as soon as video cuts away from "Battle Arena." It's that fast. The reference is Geno's SMRPG render as a battle tag icon under Shulk for the lobby mode.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
When Vergeben was saying that he heard 7 names, while 3 of them were more said that the others... It truly made think : Who were theses characters?

Obviously there is Geno, I mean do I need to explain why?
Sora from KH, since he's very requested
SEVERAL characters from Dragon quest. I was thinking of Slime, and the protagonist of DQ1,8,and 11.
Neku from The World end with you? I mean, yeah TWEWY Final Remix, but I don't think they planed a DLC character this far in advance for a ehanced port.
Lara Croft, despise not beeing that relevant today and lacking request, she's still iconic to some extend.
And if we were to get a FF rep, there is black mage for an old school rep, and Noctis from FF15 maybe?
Also , honestly, it wouldn't surprised me if he heard Mallow lol (Love the dude, but it could be such a funny leak-bait)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
It just boggles my mind why we all can't get the characters we want. I mean it's so obvious. If we would have got those on the Grinch leak for example, you would have made a majority of the fans happy. It's like why can't we have the Geno's? The Issacs? Banjo?! It's like nah let's just squander them in a garabage story mode. Why can't we have these characters, cause it's raining outside?
My faith in DLC isn't exactly stellar, if we're getting generic Mario enemies like Piranha plant as fighters. I mean he's a dime a dozen enemy, he SHOULDN'T be a playable character.

link2702

Smash Champion
So one thing I’ve thought of right now....

Data mining, what is the likelihood that when the game is released, or it’s prerelease download is, that data miners are able to figure out what dlc character(s) might be released first? Like ryu and roy in one of 4’s updates? Or even all dlc characters might have placeholders so we’d know all of them?

Or hell even possible cut characters similar to brawl?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
It just boggles my mind why we all can't get the characters we want. I mean it's so obvious. If we would have got those on the Grinch leak for example, you would have made a majority of the fans happy. It's like why can't we have the Geno's? The Issacs? Banjo?! It's like nah let's just squander them in a garabage story mode. Why can't we have these characters, cause it's raining outside?
My faith in DLC isn't exactly stellar, if we're getting generic Mario enemies like Piranha plant as fighters. I mean he's a dime a dozen enemy, he SHOULDN'T be a playable character.
They don't do enough ballots. That's why.

I think getting King K Rool is a step in the right direction, if he's here , it's because of the ballot, not because he's DK main bad guy.

If they had done 1 more ballot after Sm4sh DLC, they could have noticed that Isaac , Geno, Banjo and others wererequested. Or even a rythm heaven rep. Or even Shantae. I know that shouldn't only get fan-favorites, but having more wouldn't be too much to ask for. Because yeah... Inklings were here because Splatoon, the only ballots picks were Ridley, K Rool, and Chrom.

Best case scenario is Geno and Banjo-Kazooie are DLCs , but seriously... Isaac fans didn't deserved this. Showing his assist at the end was cruel, even if they somewhat upgraded his assist.

I think Sakurai doesn't realize what assist trophies should be. Even if he created thus franchise, he doesn't realize this.

They should give us more opportunities to vote for characters , it's the easiest way for them to know who we want.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
goodness you guys. I know I've posted a lot about how I love searching the hashtag #geno on Instagram to see all the art, and all that's popped up the past two days are drawings of Geno getting eaten by Piranha Plant and it's so depressing. I really hope the fan art for him doesn't just slow down suddenly, or worse, stop altogether. Makes me sad that so many people have given up on him. I won't give up until I see who the five DLC characters are. I've waited so damn long, what's another year?
Then if he gets revealed as DLC, they should make art of Geno seemingly getting eaten by the Piranha Plant, but instead have Geno strangling it, similar to this picture.

7C20EEA4-BA5F-4202-B158-F1082A2E10F7.jpeg

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Regular Wii Fit Trainer was shown off as a spirit this evening, along with a regular spirit for Daisy (don't have a screen of that one). This is even more evidence than the non-default Male Wii Fit Trainer and Kaptain K Rool spirits we'd seen before.View attachment 175262
I found meta Ridley on the official site as a spirit as well

Yea spirits ain’t gonna deconfirm characters

Data mining, what is the likelihood that when the game is released, or it’s prerelease download is, that data miners are able to figure out what dlc character(s) might be released first? Like ryu and roy in one of 4’s updates? Or even all dlc characters might have placeholders so we’d know all of them?

Yeahhh, I highly doubt that they'd make that mistake again. Then again, who knows.

MSS

Smash Cadet
I truly did think this was Geno’s Time to shine...I’m definitely upset over this, but I have already convinced myself that Geno is the star that saved Kirby...he is the strongest of them all and he will be DLC...he has to be...

TBone06

Smash Ace
So this was posted on PushDustin's Twitter. This is a Daisy Spirit. As you can see, it's not the same Ultimate render that is used on the website. Also it was stated that fighter spirits can't be equipped on the same tweet. So, what this tells me is that (as we already knew) Fighters CAN have spirits.

However, because they can't be equipped, that leads me to believe that Spirits are meant to be add-ons, which to me says if they are equippable, that would be a soft deconfirmation.

What does this mean for Geno? Well, we have NOT seen a spirit for him. However, that player icon could actually help us. If that image was from Spirits mode, it doesn't mean anything unless we see it as an equippable Spirit, which again, we have not seen. So that COULD be a spirit, but if he is a DLC, then it could explain it, as it's a different render.

So 100% as of this moment, Geno is still in running for DLC. Unfortunately, I do think that rules out Shantae, Dixie and the Rhythm Heaven characters. I am still hopeful for this. I still think he's a good candidate.

D

Deleted member

Did some searching on Granblue Fantasy apparently it's a action RPG. Game with turn based strategy was developed by Cygames. Came out on mobile on 2014.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was consindered.

Honestly only the Sqaure Enix character interests me so far.

We will see what happens. Yup seems like DLC may not be all to our liking.

Hoping Geno is one of them though.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

That kinda thing is usually found in patch/prepatch info, especially if they're being honest when they say they haven't really started work on dlc.
It's possible maybe a music file or stage file name could exist, but that'd be the dev team having started some stuff, realised they weren't going to finish it for the base game's deadline, and then missing some stuff during sanitization of the final build.

Could happen with only the base game, but not likely.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I decided to do some research on Dragon Quest and I actually came across something really interesting. Not a single Dragon Quest game was a part of the NES or SNES Classic, not even the Japanese version. I decided to dig even deeper and discovered, to my complete surprise, Dragon Quest never had rereleases on neither the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console, even in Japan. Take that as you will but it leaves me believing that a DQ character as the SE rep would be a long stretch on top of everything else we already know.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
So, I decided to do some research on Dragon Quest and I actually came across something really interesting. Not a single Dragon Quest game was a part of the NES or SNES Classic, not even the Japanese version. I decided to dig even deeper and discovered, to my complete surprise, Dragon Quest never had rereleases on neither the Wii or Wii U Virtual Console, even in Japan. Take that as you will but it leaves me believing that a DQ character as the SE rep would be a long stretch on top of everything else we already know.
Very good point.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice

In light of everything that’s happened, I’m still very gun shy over potential leaks. But my goodness I hope you’re telling the truth (or that your source is, at least).

link2702

Smash Champion
Very good point.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
As much as I wish that is all true, after everything we’ve dealt with, I’m simply not believing anything unless it comes from square or Nintendo directly.

That or a full video shows up, but even then I’m gonna be skeptical.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm going to say something that Sakurai tried to tell us.

If Robin still has his old final smash with Chrom, if he can make a plant in a pot a fighter, at this point, I don't think he would even CARE if one of the DLC fighters is a spirit.
I think assists are dead for season 1, since they planned theses DLCs with the original roster plan , at least WICH CHARACTERS they were gonna use.
But hey, let's be serious. DLC is gonna sell if they don't do something too stupid (like 5 differents goombas), so a season 2 of DLC with a ballot is'nt too far-fetched.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
They don't do enough ballots. That's why.

I think getting King K Rool is a step in the right direction, if he's here , it's because of the ballot, not because he's DK main bad guy.

If they had done 1 more ballot after Sm4sh DLC, they could have noticed that Isaac , Geno, Banjo and others wererequested. Or even a rythm heaven rep. Or even Shantae. I know that shouldn't only get fan-favorites, but having more wouldn't be too much to ask for. Because yeah... Inklings were here because Splatoon, the only ballots picks were Ridley, K Rool, and Chrom.

Best case scenario is Geno and Banjo-Kazooie are DLCs , but seriously... Isaac fans didn't deserved this. Showing his assist at the end was cruel, even if they somewhat upgraded his assist.

I think Sakurai doesn't realize what assist trophies should be. Even if he created thus franchise, he doesn't realize this.

They should give us more opportunities to vote for characters , it's the easiest way for them to know who we want.
Well, let's consider that Nintendo has a bit of fame of doing things that "it thinks" we wish.
But, as for one thing I've learned, they said it's not a good thing to listen 100% to the fan base. Seems true for other mainstream media (movies, books, comics, anime), but I'm not so sure how this apply to videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom