• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Tweets, I heard the Nintendo artist Tweet and the Wendy's Tweet about Geno were deleted. Is this true on both accounts? I don't have a Twitter account so I can't verify.
I'm pretty sure the Wendy's one was...Which Nintendo artist one are you talking about?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Speaking of Tweets, I heard the Nintendo artist Tweet and the Wendy's Tweet about Geno were deleted. Is this true on both accounts? I don't have a Twitter account so I can't verify.
I'm pretty sure the Wendy's one was...Which Nintendo artist one are you talking about?
After looking through their Twitter account, it is nowhere to be seen. There are still tweets about Smash Brothers (including the one about Chun-Li and them saying they don't think Waluigi will be in because he's an assist trophy) But I do not see the Geno tweet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've already talked about Sora's ownership but I think it's appropriate to discuss the game history too. Right up front, neither Kingdom Hearts I or II have been released on a Nintendo console and there's currently no plans for Kingdom Hearts III on the Switch. No ports. No remasters. The games that have were spin-offs on the handhelds. The three that were originally released on Nintendo handhelds were Chain of Memories (2004), 358/2 Days (2009), and Dream Drop Distance (2012). That said, it's been 6 years since an original KH was released on a Nintendo platform.

"Okay, so what? Cloud got into SSB4 and Final Fantasy VII isn't coming out on the Switch until 2019." But Cloud is unequivocally the face of Final Fantasy. Even before Smash, his cameos were sprawling. Characters like Moogle and Dark Mage (both technically generic characters) don't even come close. Despite Nintendo and Square's hot, spicy beef in the late 90's, Final Fantasy has never been MIA too long thanks to the spin-offs.

The biggest hiatus was from Final Fantasy VII in 1997 to Final Fantasy Tactics in 2002 for the GBA. Since then, has had almost yearly releases on Nintendo platforms when you put all the spin-offs in the equation. Furthermore, this becomes more significant when you realize the hiatus ended 16 years ago. On top of all of this, the first 6 of the mainstream games were originally released on Nintendo consoles. That said, Final Fantasy has been a consistent franchise in Nintendo's history even if Cloud wasn't. Cloud's minor cameos on Nintendo platforms were ultimately irrelevant because he is inarguably the face of Final Fantasy and pretty much JRPGs period.

Add in: the picture in coolcat12347 coolcat12347 icon is the one I'm talking about. I remember the Tweet about it but I also remember hearing it was taken down shortly after it was posted and I wanted to see if anyone could verify this.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well, let's consider that Nintendo has a bit of fame of doing things that "it thinks" we wish.
But, as for one thing I've learned, they said it's not a good thing to listen 100% to the fan base. Seems true for other mainstream media (movies, books, comics, anime), but I'm not so sure how this apply to videogames.
Not listening 100% to the fanbase with video games is a good thing.

We all have different opinions on how the gameplay should be, the graphics should be, wich price the game should be, ect...

However , playable characters are important in Smash. They have an huge impact , and can alone decide for someone to buy the game or not , wich is important for them. They should listen or at least do some researchs concerning who people want. If the grinch leak was true , even if we got characters that not a "younger audience" know , almost everyone would have bought the SSBU Switch limited edition. Because theses characters were both requested... And simply fun. Getting Shadow in Smash would have been a Sonic's fan dream come true, it was a fantasy before Brawl. I could go on as why each character in the grinch leak would have been amazing.
Even from a marketing standpoint, Isaac and the Chorus kids were free promotion for Golden Sun and Rythm Heaven , NINTENDO FRANCHISES.

Yeah, they shouldn't 100% listen to the fans. I'm a pikmin fan , and they have diverse opinions about the franchise. Some liked the caves in Pikmin 2, others hated it. Some loved Alph, Brittany, and Charlie in 3 , others found them uninspired and wanted Olimar and Louie. Some people find Pikmin 1 too stressful , others praised the game for the 30 days system. They can't please everyone.

The 1st november direct showed one thing : Sakurai make amazing games. He tried different stuff , but honestly , the AT massacre and last newcomers reveals had an horrible timing. Yeah, each smash game ended on a lackluster reveal. But that's a bad thing. He should listen ( I don't say he completly doesn't, we wouldn't have King K and gameplay changes otherwise) to fans about playable characters. Ballots are still the best way for him to know prime candidates , and I honestly hope he have something like Geno for DLC.

Sorry If my post seemed to be kinda off-topic, but for me, they should listen to us but should take liberties when necessary (stuff like Stage morph or Smash meters that nobody asked for , are now very good features to add in the game and a lot of people loved it.).

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
What have you shown or heard before that would give you some credibility here?
I haven't seen you around here, and it's odd that you would come here of all places to tell us something this important instead of a more general discussion board.
I'm just a casual Geno fan as well. I figured since I heard something I have reason to trust, I'd post it here, this was the first geno place i thought of. Also, im on laggy mobile so sorry if i type poorly. Ill explain the situation, without ruining my friends life.

Alright, the reason why i said its not a leak is because its not. My friend is just an ambassador. He gets review copies, writes books on nintendo content, and has a moderately sized youtube channel, about 20k subs. So, while he technically has is a deal with Nintendo, not a regular job. Perhaps in dms i could link you to books he made and such, but i reallllllly hope he wouldnt get put at risk for this.

Anyway, he got his ambassador for review copies and such because of his friends. He has two friends who work at NoA. One a smaller job, one a higher status such as marketer. What essentially has happened is his friends would tell him rumors going around, not leaks. His grunt friend knoes very little, while his higher up friend has always told him just about nothing. My ambassador friend is an older user a discord server i moderate. He's not hiding this info he knows because they are simply rumors, though he doesnt like displaying his real name due to risk of these being real and coming across like he is leaking while having an NDA with nintendo. Ill elaborate on what he has told our server over time.

-All of his info has been stuff we never really believed. We were the server housing loz18 when everybody believed him, but our friend kept telling us he was told loz was fake and likely just an e3 showfloorsman who saw a couple thing.

-When the ken model leak came out, he told us it ruffled some feathers at NoA. He said he would stay optimistic and not believe it, but his friends jmplied jt was real and an old ken model. And that turned out to be the truth, a beta of the actual ken model w the real portrait.

-Just before the sept direct, he told us he was told AC would be the highlight of the direct, and that Smash was implied to relate to it.

-He hated verge and box plain and simple. He did, and he mostly believed grinch. Then, the day before the direct, he was incredibly depressed. He told us his friend gave him a bad warning that the direct would not get the greatest Reaction from the community and that the isaac news would be particularly sad. I chose to hold out hope that it was wrong but... you see how that turned out.

But now he gave us something good -- since his friends new he was depressed over Isaac, even his higher up friend opened his mouth. Both said they heard Geno is dlc. It seems to be something a lot at NoA are saying.

Am i outright leaking? I dont think so.. the rumors at NoA could be wrong, but none have been wrong so far and this time even the higher up corroberated on it. I feel lucky since most of the stuff he heard before went against my hope, but this time its something amazing. For me, this puts geno as incredibly likely.

In light of everything that’s happened, I’m still very gun shy over potential leaks. But my goodness I hope you’re telling the truth (or that your source is, at least).
He's not lying, most of the things he's heard havs been bad news we didnt want to hear. He is simply passing around rumors inside of NoA. The good thing, though, is that not a single rumor he's heard has been wrong and this time it's from both of his friends, including the higher up. my hope has been restored in good news

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was a moderator back in the Brawl and SSB4 days so excuse my habit of looking at post history when it comes to big claims. Panda's history is clean and he gets along well with others. No obvious red flags although he/she is pretty young but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. That said, they are not likely to be trying to troll or bait the thread but that doesn't necessarily mean their sources are correct. Either way, treat them with respect because at worst they're just being a middle man.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I really wish it wasn't a Geno vs Sora situation; cause they'd both be great characters. But I truly feel it's an "only one can make it' situation. :/

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I really wish it wasn't a Geno vs Sora situation; cause they'd both be great characters. But I truly feel it's an "only one can make it' situation. :/
It's truly sad. However , I do think getting Geno in smash is a priority for us, he need it to get a revival. Sora is in a good spot, especially with KH3 on the way.

However , if we could get both, I won't say no lol

Edit : As long as Disney don't do anything stupid with Sora Limited and Sakurai.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I was a moderator back in the Brawl and SSB4 days so excuse my habit of looking at post history when it comes to big claims. Panda's history is clean and he gets along well with others. No obvious red flags although he/she is pretty young but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. That said, they are not likely to be trying to troll or bait the thread but that doesn't necessarily mean their sources are correct. Either way, treat them with respect because at worst they're just being a middle man.
I'd enjoy giving you some particular info in DM's if it helps prove myself, but it says I can't dm you.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm on the mind set if they were able to get both, they would. I don't necessarily think that if one is in, the other isn't. If Geno is in first, I can absolutely see Sora still getting in. Sure, it might hurt the chances a bit, but I don't look at it as one or the other.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm on the mind set if they were able to get both, they would. I don't necessarily think that if one is in, the other isn't. If Geno is in first, I can absolutely see Sora still getting in. Sure, it might hurt the chances a bit, but I don't look at it as one or the other.
My problem is that I feel if Sora is first; my hope in Geno's chance's would plummet.

TBone06

Smash Ace
My problem is that I feel if Sora is first; my hope in Geno's chance's would plummet.
I agree that my hopes would get shot, but looking objectively right now, I think either way, one doesn't disconfirm the other. So when I am seeing things clear, that is my unbiased stance. But it goes the same way, if Geno got announced first, I don't think Sora is ruled out.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m sorry this is gonna sound mean no matter how I phrase it...

But I’m not believing anymore “leaks” unless we get a full video proof, or something is confirmed data mined from smash ultimate. Especially not a “I have a friend, who has a friend, that works at Nintendo...” type of rumor.

After all geno fans have been through, after all the “convincing” leaks that everyone was sure were real, from sassy geno, to the grinch, none of us should be taking any leak seriously, even something from Vergeben(who’s credibility was solidified more from this direct), especially one like mentioned above.

If he’s in, we’ll only truly know when Nintendo lets us, or something big like roy or ryu’s theme get datamimed again.

I’m sorry it sounds harsh, but geno fans have been through hell and back, It’s better to wait right now more than anything else.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm just a casual Geno fan as well. I figured since I heard something I have reason to trust, I'd post it here, this was the first geno place i thought of. Also, im on laggy mobile so sorry if i type poorly. Ill explain the situation, without ruining my friends life.

Alright, the reason why i said its not a leak is because its not. My friend is just an ambassador. He gets review copies, writes books on nintendo content, and has a moderately sized youtube channel, about 20k subs. So, while he technically has is a deal with Nintendo, not a regular job. Perhaps in dms i could link you to books he made and such, but i reallllllly hope he wouldnt get put at risk for this.

Anyway, he got his ambassador for review copies and such because of his friends. He has two friends who work at NoA. One a smaller job, one a higher status such as marketer. What essentially has happened is his friends would tell him rumors going around, not leaks. His grunt friend knoes very little, while his higher up friend has always told him just about nothing. My ambassador friend is an older user a discord server i moderate. He's not hiding this info he knows because they are simply rumors, though he doesnt like displaying his real name due to risk of these being real and coming across like he is leaking while having an NDA with nintendo. Ill elaborate on what he has told our server over time.

-All of his info has been stuff we never really believed. We were the server housing loz18 when everybody believed him, but our friend kept telling us he was told loz was fake and likely just an e3 showfloorsman who saw a couple thing.

-When the ken model leak came out, he told us it ruffled some feathers at NoA. He said he would stay optimistic and not believe it, but his friends jmplied jt was real and an old ken model. And that turned out to be the truth, a beta of the actual ken model w the real portrait.

-Just before the sept direct, he told us he was told AC would be the highlight of the direct, and that Smash was implied to relate to it.

-He hated verge and box plain and simple. He did, and he mostly believed grinch. Then, the day before the direct, he was incredibly depressed. He told us his friend gave him a bad warning that the direct would not get the greatest Reaction from the community and that the isaac news would be particularly sad. I chose to hold out hope that it was wrong but... you see how that turned out.

But now he gave us something good -- since his friends new he was depressed over Isaac, even his higher up friend opened his mouth. Both said they heard Geno is dlc. It seems to be something a lot at NoA are saying.

Am i outright leaking? I dont think so.. the rumors at NoA could be wrong, but none have been wrong so far and this time even the higher up corroberated on it. I feel lucky since most of the stuff he heard before went against my hope, but this time its something amazing. For me, this puts geno as incredibly likely.

He's not lying, most of the things he's heard havs been bad news we didnt want to hear. He is simply passing around rumors inside of NoA. The good thing, though, is that not a single rumor he's heard has been wrong and this time it's from both of his friends, including the higher up. my hope has been restored in good news
I
Hoping this is true.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I hope everyone is still excited for the game. Despite our strong desire for Geno or any SMRPG character to be playable, we have to remember that it is just one game in the biggest game franchise on the planet. I feel that, should all thr DLC come out and all we end up with is a song or two, a mii costume, and some spirits, that is still far more than we have ever had in the past. Shantae fans are being very grateful regarding her WoL fight, and we should take note.

Not trying to bring anyone down, I still feel Geno has a great shot at being one of "the mysterious 5", even over other SE bigshots. SMRPG is my favorite game of all time. Just reminding people that him not being playable doesn't suddenly make the game bad, and certainly doesn't mean "Sakurai hates us".

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Hey, thanks for the follow-up man. Just to be clear, I don't mean any offense whatsoever with my skepticism. You seem like a trustworthy guy, and I'm willing to take what you've heard as a rumor (and not exactly a leak). Leaks are put out as truth, but a rumor can go either way.

In any event, thanks for the additional info.

(also, if you're planning on DMing some more specifics, I'd love to hear them!)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I reached out to Panda and unless he says something along the lines of "my source's name is *****", I'm not going to repeat what he says here, good or bad. Psycho is the real captain of this ship so he's the only person I will trust with any information if Panda agrees to the terms I laid out.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I reached out to Panda and unless he says something along the lines of "my source's name is *****", I'm not going to repeat what he says here, good or bad. Psycho is the real captain of this ship so he's the only person I will trust with any information if Panda agrees to the terms I laid out.
you dont have to repeat it but plz atleast tell us if it is good news or bad news. you dont need to tell us the details

TBone06

Smash Ace
you dont have to repeat it but plz atleast tell us if it is good news or bad news. you dont need to tell us the details
I know it's easy to want to know, but if people are stating that they won't reveal anything, you have to respect that. Fatmanonice has been around for a while and he's a respected member of not just this community, but this whole board. If he says he won't be repeating it, you have to leave it at that.

link2702

Smash Champion
Adding to that, if he says it’s good but it’s actually not/he was misinformed, it’ll hurt you far more. Remember what just happened Thursday.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but it won’t do us any good to cling to any rumors or leaks right now, we need to just wait until the first dlc character is revealed. We’ll drive ourselves insane clinging to another sassy geno or grinch leak only for it to be fake again.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
And don't forget, we'll all know one way or another relatively soon.

I'm good as long as there's still hope (and there certainly is).

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I suggest we just wait. He might be DLC, he might not. It was kinda hard not having him in base roster after all the Grinch hype, but oh well.

Good thing is, if he is DLC, we'll get a lot of Super Mario RPG music and a Super Mario RPG stage, so that's better than him being in base but like most newcomers in this game, without their own stage.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
you guys are right. well we know that there is atleast a rumor of geno being in so we good for now. but im still skeptical. and i'm not foolish enough to believe anything after what just happened

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This isn't school yard secrets, this is stuff that could ruin people's careers. I respect this community too much to say anything to the point where I promised I wouldn't even tell my wife. We're not going to be THAT fanbase. We're not going to immortalize Geno as a "dumb meme character" by betraying people's trust. We've been a stable part of Smash culture for 13 years and we're not forfeiting that by openly discussing classified information. Again, I'm doing this because I respect you guys and will not tarnish this fanbase or have people blacklisted because of utter carelessness.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Geno isn't the Square rep then he's probably done for good. I don't see him being added 5+ years from now in the next Smash. Sakurai wanted Geno in since Brawl, couldn't put him in Smash U but got his Mii outfit, and if he didn't get him by DLC this time...I guess he's never going to be playable. Because it wouldn't make sense to keep holding off on him when we know Sakurai himself wants him, it's either something on Square's end or they just don't see him being viable for being a playable character due to his relative obscurity and licensing cost.

I don't know, if the Square rep is anyone but Geno I'm kinda off the Geno train for good. That implies to me he's never going to get in because this would have been the perfect time.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Rewatching the DLC segment of the Direct, it really does seem like the whole Rex thing was an apology for not being able to include him in the base game and as of way saying, no Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC.

NOT that DLC characters were chosen at the time of the rest of the roster. That's entirely the positioning of the comment after the DLC announcement, but it's with a completely different segment related to Rex. So I really don't think there is anything to connect DLC picks with the project plan date like people have kept saying as of recent. That probably hurts Geno's chances more than it helps in all honesty.

D

Deleted member

Hello, i need a bit of help.

Since the Switch has a better Mii creator than the Wii U, i am trying to make a Geno Mii that feels as close to the character as possible.

Here’s how i am doing at the moment:

The problem is this: i can’t recreate it on Smash for Wii U because i don’t own the Geno costume.

I don’t want to ask people to recreate this. However, if i could help some details on the proportions of the hat in Smash 4, i could get a better idea about where to work the eyes on.

The idea is to let the red part of the pupil be shown, but not the black dot that is always present. Because of this, having an expected view of how the eyes look when wearing the hat from the Geno set will be helpful.

I appreciate any support or apportation.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Look, I won't disclose any names I gave in DMs, what I will disclose is that the person who spread this info to me actively gives back to the industry and is very productive. He simply passed to a me a rumor that people at NoA have heard. So far, the rumors have been true so I figured it's noteworthy. IMO, it boosts the odds that Geno is in, but it doesn't lock him or anything.

I imagine this means that Geno is probably one of the names Verge has heard, assuming any of his sources are in NoA. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to say he's a lock, but I have a pretty good feeling Geno is one of the most likely ATM. This just bolstered it. Hopefully, he's in and it's not wrong. I can tell you that the person who told me it isn't lying or anything, he's a genuine person who is indeed very active in the community, and he's told me way more disappointing things he's heard than good things. I can assure you he has ties in the community as I've told people in DMs, he is indeed real. I just don't want to give out a name openly and stuff in case that could cause harm. My main goal was simply to pass around a rumor because it could very well be true. It at least means Geno is on the table for sure.

Dan

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who is kinda happy they couldn't include Rex? Very clearly he would've been a shoe-in, but do we really need another generic anime sword-wielding character?

D

Deleted member

I think that i got it...

If he ends up looking the way i expect him to do so, Geno’s hat will block the dots on the pupils, and we will only see the red part.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
They don't do enough ballots. That's why.

I think getting King K Rool is a step in the right direction, if he's here , it's because of the ballot, not because he's DK main bad guy.

If they had done 1 more ballot after Sm4sh DLC, they could have noticed that Isaac , Geno, Banjo and others wererequested. Or even a rythm heaven rep. Or even Shantae. I know that shouldn't only get fan-favorites, but having more wouldn't be too much to ask for. Because yeah... Inklings were here because Splatoon, the only ballots picks were Ridley, K Rool, and Chrom.

Best case scenario is Geno and Banjo-Kazooie are DLCs , but seriously... Isaac fans didn't deserved this. Showing his assist at the end was cruel, even if they somewhat upgraded his assist.

I think Sakurai doesn't realize what assist trophies should be. Even if he created thus franchise, he doesn't realize this.

They should give us more opportunities to vote for characters , it's the easiest way for them to know who we want.
sakurai noted that geno was always highly requested in these ballots in an interview after his mii costume was revealed

TBone06

Smash Ace
Rewatching the DLC segment of the Direct, it really does seem like the whole Rex thing was an apology for not being able to include him in the base game and as of way saying, no Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC.

NOT that DLC characters were chosen at the time of the rest of the roster. That's entirely the positioning of the comment after the DLC announcement, but it's with a completely different segment related to Rex. So I really don't think there is anything to connect DLC picks with the project plan date like people have kept saying as of recent. That probably hurts Geno's chances more than it helps in all honesty.
"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced once planning had started"

To me, this says that they probably decided on the characters pretty early on. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was announced in January of 2017. So I would think it would have been before this. It might not have been the exact same time as the rest of the roster, but I think it had to have been pretty early on in development.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh God, TheGamersJoint is another guy who calls him "Jeno".
The person that used to be in my position at work was named "Jen O"

So you could say I'm the new Jeno

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
After looking through their Twitter account, it is nowhere to be seen. There are still tweets about Smash Brothers (including the one about Chun-Li and them saying they don't think Waluigi will be in because he's an assist trophy) But I do not see the Geno tweet.
what was the geno tweet?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced once planning had started"

To me, this says that they probably decided on the characters pretty early on. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was announced in January of 2017. So I would think it would have been before this. It might not have been the exact same time as the rest of the roster, but I think it had to have been pretty early on in development.
But that comment is just referencing Rex and would make sense that Sakurai is saying he's not included as DLC. The fact that Rex's Mii costume section is an entirely different announcement from the overall DLC announcement means that Sakurai is responding to Rex not being in the base game. There is absolutely nothing linking this comment with the DLC plans other than the positioning. Rex had been considered a lock for DLC, and even for the base game by many, this was Sakurai's explanation/actually letting fans down gently for once.

The next natural comment is, well why if this is only referencing the base roster, did they de-confirm Rex? He could be conceivably added as DLC if that's the case. And I don't have an answer for that, other than he wasn't a priority for them.

The comment you've quoted can only apply to Rex because that's all the context given. We can't be extrapolating that to all of the DLC picks. We just don't know anything about them, which I think is a lot scarier of a reality for all of us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom