• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I guess our wording hasnt been clear. To sum up, Sora and DQ are not deconfirmed to get in, but are deconfirmed to be the "pick" from square. hell we could get all 3, but whats important is that neither are competeing for the square spot claimed by vergaben than geno falls under.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Ok, I guess our wording hasnt been clear. To sum up, Sora and DQ are not deconfirmed to get in, but are deconfirmed to be the "pick" from square. hell we could get all 3, but whats important is that neither are competeing for the square spot claimed by vergaben than geno falls under.
wait what?

TBone06

Smash Ace
But that comment is just referencing Rex and would make sense that Sakurai is saying he's not included as DLC. The fact that Rex's Mii costume section is an entirely different announcement from the overall DLC announcement means that Sakurai is responding to Rex not being in the base game. There is absolutely nothing linking this comment with the DLC plans other than the positioning. Rex had been considered a lock for DLC, and even for the base game by many, this was Sakurai's explanation/actually letting fans down gently for once.

The next natural comment is, well why if this is only referencing the base roster, did they de-confirm Rex? He could be conceivably added as DLC if that's the case. And I don't have an answer for that, other than he wasn't a priority for them.

The comment you've quoted can only apply to Rex because that's all the context given. We can't be extrapolating that to all of the DLC picks. We just don't know anything about them, which I think is a lot scarier of a reality for all of us...
But I don't think that comment is just referencing Rex. They are saying that all of the DLC characters were picked during planning, which is why Rex didn't make the cut. I also don't think the comment that I quoted is only applied to Rex, I believe that is a general statement.

I mean we clearly have different takes on this statement.

D

Deleted member

Is something up? News of some kind? If you can't say what don't.

I know the information of certain people can't be shared.

So don't say anything if it's too important.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I reached out to Panda and unless he says something along the lines of "my source's name is *****", I'm not going to repeat what he says here, good or bad. Psycho is the real captain of this ship so he's the only person I will trust with any information if Panda agrees to the terms I laid out.
Catch me up; are we coming upon some Geno related information?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But I don't think that comment is just referencing Rex. They are saying that all of the DLC characters were picked during planning, which is why Rex didn't make the cut. I also don't think the comment that I quoted is only applied to Rex, I believe that is a general statement.

I mean we clearly have different takes on this statement.
We do, but what I'm saying is, contextually speaking, where do you get that you can refer to DLC from Rex's situation?

He says, "While Rex didn't quite make the roster" in the text below the announcement. Make the roster would usually imply the main roster. He is deconfirming him for DLC, but you're stretching a comment way too far beyond the original context in applying it to all the DLC characters. Remember, Rex was polled to be one of the most likely additions people believed in for Ultimate prior to release.

While the DLC characters have likely already been picked (and we don't know this for sure) due to the fact that they know they have five lined up for release, we don't know when or how any of those were decided. We just know that Rex isn't one of them and that is absolutely all we can take away from that segment.

TBone06

Smash Ace
We do, but what I'm saying is, contextually speaking, where do you get that you can refer to DLC from Rex's situation?

He says, "While Rex didn't quite make the roster" in the text below the announcement. Make the roster would usually imply the main roster. He is deconfirming him for DLC, but you're stretching a comment way too far beyond the original context in applying it to all the DLC characters. Remember, Rex was polled to be one of the most likely additions people believed in for Ultimate prior to release.

While the DLC characters have likely already been picked (and we don't know this for sure) due to the fact that they know they have five lined up for release, we don't know when or how any of those were decided. We just know that Rex isn't one of them and that is absolutely all we can take away from that segment.
I think because he is giving us the Mii Costume, it's because they weren't able to make him into DLC (likely because DLC picks were already done). Yes, he did say that "while Rex didn't quite make the roster", I don't see why they would deconfirm him for DLC unless all of the DLC picks were already made ahead of time. To me, if they aren't referring to DLC picks in that comment, there is no need to put in this Rex costume, because they could still put him in for DLC. I personally think him saying "while Rex didn't quite make the roster" is implying the roster as a whole, not just base.

EDIT: But I can see what you're saying. You're saying that that comment about him not making the roster is JUST the base roster. I just don't see the need to put in a Mii Costume when they easily could have added him as DLC unless those characters were already picked.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Here are his exact words from the translation: "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started."

My original read on that statement was that Rex was being heavily implied as DLC and that Sakurai was referring to the base roster. However, considering how long it takes to develop characters, stages, and music, I can't fully believe Sakurai's when he says that they haven't started development on the DLC yet. That's why I was thinking earlier that Granblue might be an indication for a Season Pass 2. This is just my feeling, but I think some level of development has already started on the DLC characters if only at a foundational level. That said, I don't think we can really ever tell if any of this helps or hurts Geno at this point, though. Digging into the minutia hasn't really turned up much so far. We still don't know why Sakurai bought that Vifam toy dang it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
geno dlc is making me hope his attacks are either action command based or he has an attack with mallow like how peach/daisy have one with toad

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I'm not counting on Geno being DLC, but I sure as hell hope for it.
im definitely counting on it, but if he doesnt get in as dlc ill probably just accept it instead of getting super bummed like i did after the direct

so do we have like, a consensus on how to pronounce geno? i've always pronounced it jee-noh but im actually curious how you guys pronouce it

TBone06

Smash Ace
so do we have like, a consensus on how to pronounce geno? i've always pronounced it jee-noh but im actually curious how you guys pronouce it
ALWAYS pronounced it Jee-Noh. If you listen to how sports announcers said Geno Smith's name, it was always that way.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm not counting on Geno being DLC, but I sure as hell hope for it.
If he isn't DLC he'll probably never happen, because Ultimate started development right after Smash U wrapped. If Geno wasn't on Sakurai's mind during making this game even during the DLC phase, he's never happening. I would assume it's something more on Square's end though I'm not wanting Geno over one of their franchises promoted in Smash.

I feel like this really is Geno's last realistic chance in Smash ever. 5+ years from now in Smash 6 his chances will be far lower especially if that game reduces the roster size again.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'd enjoy giving you some particular info in DM's if it helps prove myself, but it says I can't dm you.
I am not sure if your friend would be able to hear but is it possible or has he heard of all the SE names being thrown around? Like which 7 are in the running?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Something I want to point out is that the idea of online tags being sourced from your personal Spirits collection is a bit weird, because you’re able to exchange Spirits for cores and feed them to Amiibo, and it would be somewhat odd if you could have a profile pic of a Spirit that you’ve long since sacrificed. And considering the different Kremling art also seen, I’m more confident that you instead just have a long list of potential tokens to choose from rather than them being intrinsically tied to what Spirits you own.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I was a moderator back in the Brawl and SSB4 days so excuse my habit of looking at post history when it comes to big claims. Panda's history is clean and he gets along well with others. No obvious red flags although he/she is pretty young but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. That said, they are not likely to be trying to troll or bait the thread but that doesn't necessarily mean their sources are correct. Either way, treat them with respect because at worst they're just being a middle man.
I asked tons about him and is track RECORD is anything but clear. Most said it was terrible and untrustworthy.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've always pronounced his name as "Jeh-no", so I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I think it bears repeating that the lack of additional Final Fantasy songs in Ultimate indicates that the agreement between Nintendo and Square-Enix applied to both games, and that it would be more of a bureaucratic mess to put in any other character than Geno, a character Sakurai already has permission to use

Him not being in the base game (assuming he is DLC) is likely the result of S-E requesting a percentage of sales for his DLC.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Iconic in what way? Simply because you meet Geno there? Places like Monster Town and Star Hill are more memorable if you ask me.
I agree with you, just when it comes to smash bros Sakurai would mostly likely pick forest maze just before he was introduced there. Sakurai is just that guy. Plus the music is very memorable to Geno fans and fans of the game in general. Of course it's iconic! You meet a party member there and to many or little it's also memorable for how annoying the maze was.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Guys this might not mean anything but in the super mario rpg Japanese commercial there was a piranha plants singing in a pot. Might be why he was added possibly. Just something to think about. https://youtu.be/Th7NtTOuUbg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's fine if people have information. They need not share it jobs are more important then one character getting in a game.

I'll await confirmation of his impending arrival.

Or not.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
imagine if we got geno dlc but the announcer pronounced it like "geh noh"
He wouldn't. It's a very common Italian name.

Also, if Geno doesn't make DLC (he might), PLEASE whatever you do, don't give up hope of seeing Geno get in, or make it back to Mario games period, because we have to hold on to hope for hope's sake. It is the light that guides us through dark nights like this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We talked. Information, contacts, and sources were shared. Like I said, I'm not sharing anything that was said. No hints. No "hot or cold." Again, any information shared would implicate a lot of people regardless of Geno being involved or not.
I just noticed this conversation going on. I was at work all day.

This is sounding really interesting

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I see Geno as a more Italian name than most people give it credit for. So I just go with the Ge-no pronunciation

Saying it like Ji-noh seems like I'm saying something like Jinjo

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
He wouldn't. It's a very common Italian name.

Also, if Geno doesn't make DLC (he might), PLEASE whatever you do, don't give up hope of seeing Geno get in, or make it back to Mario games period, because we have to hold on to hope for hope's sake. It is the light that guides us through dark nights like this.
I think with Square and Nintendo being tight again, that SOMETHING has to be in the works with the Mario RPG cast. At least a remake of the original game for Switch.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have a general dislike for the soft G sound

If you are going to make the soft G sound, why not just have a J instead

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
When I was younger, I would always pronounce Geno as "Guh no" because at that time, in my mind I was like "If it's spelt Geno, but pronounced Jee-no, why isn't it spelt Jeno? And if Geno is pronounced Jee-no, then why is there not a second e in Geno?"
Lol, pronunciation can be so damn confusing sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom