• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
It's really weird knowing that someone in this thread possibly knows somthing about Geno's chances that we don't
Stop thinking about it. Like I said before just wait things out till the dlc character is actually announced. There’s just no use driving yourself insane over something that even the person with the information can’t 100% be sure is true.

So I’ve never been sure what the proper pronunciation of his name has been. It’s only the past 5-10 years that I’ve finally got into the habit of pronouncing it gee-no, since that seems to be the way I hear most folks pronounce it.

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
I had a friend in high school that really liked Mario RPG. So we started to talk about how awesome the game is. My friend says, "Yeah, the game really gets good when GehNo joins the team." I was like, "Who?" And he said again, "GehNo." And I just looked at him. He replied, "you know, the puppet with the blue cape?" I was like, "oh, duh, his name is pronounced GEEEEENOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" Lol, I was so mad.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So, he's a spirit or a player's icon ? I don't think it changes anything but it's still good to know.
Geno is still likely, there's still the "Square Enix rep"

But, that direct was terrible and I can't wait to see Sakurai finally getting out of Smash, he's just out of touch. Here's what I think about the direct:
- The first trailer was awesome and yeah, Incineroar and Ken are cool.
- The spirits mode looks boring, I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to play it more than 1 hour.
- They talked too much about options.
- So, we just have Dracula and Rathalos as bosses, nothing else ? Boring.
- Huge slap in the face of many fans (what they did to Shadow and Isaac).
- That was just not interesting, I spent 80% of the direct telling myself "this is way too long" while i was telling myself "it was WAY too short" after the 8.8 direct.
- Piranha Plant, sure, the character looks great and fun to play. But, who the **** wanted her ?
- Also, the last trailer. I enjoyed it but seeing Kirby being the one who's saving the day is just boring. Yeah Sakurai, we know that you created Kirby.

Here's my note: Piranha Plant/20.

I think that Geno has a good shot at DLC but after that direct, anything could happen, the next character could be a freakin' Waddle Doo and I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, I gotta say that Sakurai is an hypocrit:
"This is really hard to work with every third party" Yeah sure, so hard that when you get the rights of a character, you transform them into a stupid sticker (Shantae).
"Making a new Smash Bros is really hard, long and exhausting" Yeah sure, so hard that you replaced every trophies by pre-existing images. Just imagine the time they gain by doing that. But "huh having Snake making a comeback was sooooooo hard". Just stop, enough.
Wow, I'm just going to go out and say it: you have to be among the most ungrateful people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been a part of the papagenos papagenos Discord since the first day and seen how much it corrupted. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were one of those bad eggs.

-That trailer was sick and anyone who thought we were getting more characters did not hype responsibly and set themselves up for disappointment.
-Spirits Mode looks like a good time sink, though I'm not sure it will get much play after the main plot is completed, as it doesn't seem to offer much outside a collect-a-thon. The idea that the team made events to best simulate fighting all these characters that will never ever be playable fighters is absolutely awesome and shows immense creativity in a world where most big games are just over-priced rehashes with very few tweaks. It also makes complete sense since the Switch is portable: one of my biggest complaints in Smash for 3DS is that after you complete everything, what do you do when you are on the go with no wifi? Fighting the CPU gets boring, so Spirits is a perfect inclusion in that regard, since mobile-style games always have something for you to do or check on.
-This is typical Nintendo-style/Sakurai-style business. It's not like new characters didn't get talked about because of a lack of Direct time.
-Did you miss that last trailer? They clearly revealed a returning Subspace Emissary boss (don't know who it was, since I never played Subspace) and the final boss itself will clearly be one. Sakurai never said he would reveal the whole game, just all the characters in the base roster, so there is much we haven't seen.
-I honestly don't understand this part, I can't really defend it, at least not in Isaac's case. Based on SSB4 Poll Data and that of others, Shadow may not have placed all that high in mock Ballots during the time of the Smash 4 Ballot. I think people convinced themselves of something that was never planned just because of recent information, much like Skull Kid got a lot of hype based off information from the August Direct: When Echo Fighters were announced people just assumed Shadow would make it, and that idea gained more popularity after Richter's reveal. On the other hand, Isaac has placed insanely high in most mock ups, and that's where I get confused. Maybe something happened that we don't know about that prevented Isaac from being anything more? Even so, Ultimate is such an amazing game packed with so much stuff and so many requests that being ungrateful is rather petty.
-Could it be you were expecting too much? That sounds like a personal thing.
-PP looks dope af and it really doesn't matter who asked for them though I believe they have some Japanese community behind them. Regardless, we have had this before: a trolly character that no one really asked for but Sakurai did it anyway because he needs an outlet to be the artist that he is. I'm not sure who it was for 64 (maybe Cpt. Falcon?) but Melee had Pichu, Brawl had ROB, Sm4sh had Wii Fit and they are all loved by the community...and PP is being accepted rather fast, even by the saltiest of fans. I wish PP was Isaac or Shadow for sure, but we have what we have and frankly PP looks like fun.
-First off, Sakurai is allowed to do things like this, even if you don't like it, which from watching reactions to the Direct it seems like you are one of the few upset about Kirby being the one to start saving everyone. Even so, have you played the Kirby games? Kirby is busted broken OP levels of power, so even if he didn't escape he would likely tank a hit, but that aside Kirby does fit rather well to be the one to start rescuing the others and he is the only one really fast enough without access to power ups to out-speed that attack and it's obvious you get to continue the adventure as other characters.

Here's MY note: 74/Ultimate

You are over reacting: Sakurai said that they have already decided who the characters are, just that no work has really been done on them and they do not have release dates set. Geno still has a huge chance since we see him as essentially a PFP for the online lobby tokens and he's not in the game in any other form as far as we know. The only ones who likely have no chance are Shadow and Isaac due to being ATs, but Sakurai is likely basing most or all of the DLC off the Brawl and Smash 4 ballot results. Sakurai could go nuts and give us Isaac or maybe Matthew as DLC, but if we do get Isaac for some crazy reason that would open the floodgates for other ATs having a chance to be playable, and if Matthew gets in then at least we know series we love have a chance to have some sort of representation even if it's not what we thought or wanted.

Then you go out and insult Sakurai and call him a hypocrite? Let me ask you this: have you ever developed a game in your life? Now how about a really important game? What about a game so important that millions of fans watch every second of every day for anything that could lead to them finding information about your game before it's even released? What about managing a team of thousands of developers on your game and working body and mind breaking hours to get the game out faster than is really required? Now how about a game that requires speaking with other companies and developers to get rights and licenses to characters they own and meeting their demands while maintaining the standards you have set both to yourself and your team and the standards your millions of fans expect from you? Yeah, I didn't think so, so how about you walk even a quarter of a mile in his shoes before you slander his name like that. You have no idea what is in store for the future of the game, you have little idea of how hard the team worked on the game, and Spirits Mode is literally both Story Mode and a mode that actually allows god knows how many characters who haven't got a hoot in hell of a chance to be playable have representation in Smash in a way that impacts the game in some form and YOU insult the head of that operation?

People like you absolutely disgust me.

Eagle

Smash Lord
When I was younger, I would always pronounce Geno as "Guh no" because at that time, in my mind I was like "If it's spelt Geno, but pronounced Jee-no, why isn't it spelt Jeno? And if Geno is pronounced Jee-no, then why is there not a second e in Geno?"
Lol, pronunciation can be so damn confusing sometimes
If it were spelt Geeno it wouldn't be pronounced the right way. See; geek
If it were spelt Jeno it would be pronounced jeh-no.

Spelling is Geno does lead to some ambiguity though. We have words like gesture, gentle, generous which have the jeh sound so the confusion is understandable. The only words with the proper sounding Ge are words with geo, like geography.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Wow, I'm just going to go out and say it: you have to be among the most ungrateful people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been a part of the papagenos papagenos Discord since the first day and seen how much it corrupted. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were one of those bad eggs.

-That trailer was sick and anyone who thought we were getting more characters did not hype responsibly and set themselves up for disappointment.
-Spirits Mode looks like a good time sink, though I'm not sure it will get much play after the main plot is completed, as it doesn't seem to offer much outside a collect-a-thon. The idea that the team made events to best simulate fighting all these characters that will never ever be playable fighters is absolutely awesome and shows immense creativity in a world where most big games are just over-priced rehashes with very few tweaks. It also makes complete sense since the Switch is portable: one of my biggest complaints in Smash for 3DS is that after you complete everything, what do you do when you are on the go with no wifi? Fighting the CPU gets boring, so Spirits is a perfect inclusion in that regard, since mobile-style games always have something for you to do or check on.
-This is typical Nintendo-style/Sakurai-style business. It's not like new characters didn't get talked about because of a lack of Direct time.
-Did you miss that last trailer? They clearly revealed a returning Subspace Emissary boss (don't know who it was, since I never played Subspace) and the final boss itself will clearly be one. Sakurai never said he would reveal the whole game, just all the characters in the base roster, so there is much we haven't seen.
-I honestly don't understand this part, I can't really defend it, at least not in Isaac's case. Based on SSB4 Poll Data and that of others, Shadow may not have placed all that high in mock Ballots during the time of the Smash 4 Ballot. I think people convinced themselves of something that was never planned just because of recent information, much like Skull Kid got a lot of hype based off information from the August Direct: When Echo Fighters were announced people just assumed Shadow would make it, and that idea gained more popularity after Richter's reveal. On the other hand, Isaac has placed insanely high in most mock ups, and that's where I get confused. Maybe something happened that we don't know about that prevented Isaac from being anything more? Even so, Ultimate is such an amazing game packed with so much stuff and so many requests that being ungrateful is rather petty.
-PP looks dope af and it really doesn't matter who asked for them though I believe they have some Japanese community behind them. Regardless, we have had this before: a trolly character that no one really asked for but Sakurai did it anyway because he needs an outlet to be the artist that he is. I'm not sure who it was for 64 (maybe Cpt. Falcon?) but Melee had Pichu, Brawl had ROB, Sm4sh had Wii Fit and they are all loved by the community...and PP is being accepted rather fast, even by the saltiest of fans. I wish PP was Isaac or Shadow for sure, but we have what we have and frankly PP looks like fun.
-First off, Sakurai is allowed to do things like this, even if you don't like it, which from watching reactions to the Direct it seems like you are one of the few upset about Kirby being the one to start saving everyone. Even so, have you played the Kirby games? Kirby is busted broken OP levels of power, so even if he didn't escape he would likely tank a hit, but that aside Kirby does fit rather well to be the one to start rescuing the others and he is the only one really fast enough without access to power ups to out-speed that attack and it's obvious you get to continue the adventure as other characters.

You are over reacting: Sakurai said that they have already decided who the characters are, just that no work has really been done on them and they do not have release dates set. Geno still has a huge chance since we see him as essentially a PFP for the online lobby tokens and he's not in the game in any other form as far as we know. The only ones who likely have no chance are Shadow and Isaac due to being ATs, but Sakurai is likely basing most or all of the DLC off the Brawl and Smash 4 ballot results. Sakurai could go nuts and give us Isaac or maybe Matthew as DLC, but if we do get Isaac for some crazy reason that would open the floodgates for other ATs having a chance to be playable, and if Matthew gets in then at least we know series we love have a chance to have some sort of representation even if it's not what we thought or wanted.

Then you go out and insult Sakurai and call him a hypocrite? Let me ask you this: have you ever developed a game in your life? Now how about a really important game? What about a game so important that millions of fans watch every second of every day for anything that could lead to them finding information about your game before it's even released? What about managing a team of thousands of developers on your game and working body and mind breaking hours to get the game out faster than is really required? Now how about a game that requires speaking with other companies and developers to get rights and licenses to characters they own and meeting their demands while maintaining the standards you have set both to yourself and your team and the standards your millions of fans expect from you? Yeah, I didn't think so, so how about you walk even a quarter of a mile in his shoes before you slander his name like that. You have no idea what is in store for the future of the game, you have little idea of how hard the team worked on the game, and Spirits Mode is literally both Story Mode and a mode that actually allows god knows how many characters who haven't got a hoot in hell of a chance to be playable have representation in Smash in a way that impacts the game in some form and YOU insult the head of that operation?

I'm not interested at all by the idea of having a fight, sorry, do it alone dude. Your post is full of assumptions (and by the way, 100% of them are wrong). If you think that people can criticize something only if they can do the same, that's your opinion, I'm fine with it, but this is not what I think. I said that I loved the characters, I just hate the timing. Geno doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I think that spirits and adventure modes are bad.

That's my opinion, I never asked anyone to share it and I never said that it was a fact. Also, I didn't bash anyone because he has the "wrong opinion" or because he's "disgusting me" or because he's "the most ungrateful people ever". If you have a problem with different opinions than yours, that's fine, I don't have any problem with it. So yeah dude, if writing all of this made you feel better, I'm happy for you. But I'm not interested by a fight. I prefer to focus on something positive and productive like speculating about Geno's chances as DLC.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So one of my biggest questions is why Square would get more value out of a character no one is asking for over a character millions have been wanting like Geno.

What would need to be done regarding getting Square ti want to put Geno in over a character they feel would provide more of a "financial gain" for them like Sora, Noctis or even Neku?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of feel like we're going to get a bunch of people with rumors or leaks that are actually just trolls trying to manipulate people's feelings now. Some people are going to be sad or vulnerable and there is going to be people that want to take advantage of that.

I'd take a lot of caution into listening to rumors.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
So one of my biggest questions is why Square would get more value out of a character no one is asking for over a character millions have been wanting like Geno.

What would need to be done regarding getting Square ti want to put Geno in over a character they feel would provide more of a "financial gain" for them like Sora, Noctis or even Neku?
I'd say the ballot is the principal source of information. Since Geno got higher than the others you've mentioned, that translates into more potential sales and thus, more people would buy a highly positioned character

Klimax

Smash Ace
I kind of feel like we're going to get a bunch of people with rumors or leaks that are actually just trolls trying to manipulate people's feelings now. Some people are going to be sad or vulnerable and there is going to be people that want to take advantage of that.

We just have to remember something: Leaking the Square Enix is impossible.
Vergeben himself can't do it, Square Enix protect their character way too much.

I'm pretty sure that we'll have zero info about the Square Enix rep. Since Vergeben said "there's a SE rep", we learned nothing.
At this point, I gave up on learning the name of the character until a proper reveal during a Nintendo Direct.

D

Deleted member

It's really weird knowing that someone in this thread possibly knows somthing about Geno's chances that we don't
Just forget about it and don't think about it. When it concerns someone's job that's not information worth getting out. Even for Geno, let's just see who the Square Enix rep and find out when it's revealed.

I always said GE-NO didn't no I was pronouncing it wrong.

Oh well. *Shrugs.*

paper roxy

Smash Ace
we have a lot going for us in terms of geno, i'd say we take rumors with a grain of salt but keep being hype for our boy

ZelDan

Smash Master

This is good advice. The Grinch leak itself is definitely going to make me more skeptical of rumors and "leaks" and such from now on.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Just ANY leak. Don't believe in any of them and just believe and hope that the stars shine this time. I'd just wait and hope that Geno might be a reality. That is all.

:bowser:.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Also I just want to stress to everyone, Sakurai is not who we should direct any anger towards. It is Square Enix

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Also I just want to stress to everyone, Sakurai is not who we should direct any anger towards. It is Square Enix
Exactly! If it was up to Sakurai, we would have gotten Geno in the base roster in Ultimate or all the way back in Brawl. Square-Enix is the reason we haven't gotten Geno yet, the reason he will probably be DLC because they're greedy, and the reason he might not be in at all.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
remember that there was no explicit statement that the dlc 5 pack we're getting will be the only wave of dlc. xenoverse 2 had a season pass for all dlc, it came out in 2015, and 3 years later we're still getting dlc for it under a seperate dlc pack (whether you agree with that practice or not is up to you) so even if geno doesnt get into the first 5 (i doubt he wont, theres way too much going for him), theres still the chance of even more dlc, and really it just makes sense for them to try and keep ultimate going as long as possible, since its coming out sorta early in the switch's lifespan and dlc would be a good way to keep the game alive while still making sure nintendo can make money

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I'm not interested at all by the idea of having a fight, sorry, do it alone dude. Your post is full of assumptions (and by the way, 100% of them are wrong). If you think that people can criticize something only if they can do the same, that's your opinion, I'm fine with it, but this is not what I think. I said that I loved the characters, I just hate the timing. Geno doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I think that spirits and adventure modes are bad.

That's my opinion, I never asked anyone to share it and I never said that it was a fact. Also, I didn't bash anyone because he has the "wrong opinion" or because he's "disgusting me" or because he's "the most ungrateful people ever". If you have a problem with different opinions than yours, that's fine, I don't have any problem with it. So yeah dude, if writing all of this made you feel better, I'm happy for you. But I'm not interested by a fight. I prefer to focus on something positive and productive like speculating about Geno's chances as DLC.
Like the saying goes "if you got nothing good to say don't say it at all" Yeah sure no one's saying you can't have negative opinion about the direct it's how you worded it made it sound disrespectful and ignorant. All you had to say honestly is i didn't like the direct or if your going into detail you could of said i just don't like this because instead sounding ignorant. There are better ways to word things especially when it comes to a opposite or negative opinion. P.s. only crazy people can argue with themselves.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm glad this fanbase has found the strength to move on from Thursday's disappointing news and look toward the future of DLC. I don't think our chances for DLC are quite as good as they were for base, but I still wouldn't call it a stretch to call Geno the most likely potential SE character (which I'm willing to trust in Verg that we will be getting one as DLC - Square loves DLC, after all) considering his competition all have less going for them and more going against them.

Sora is definitely the second most likely after him, but he comes with his own host of issues mainly courtesy of Disney. I mean, he quite literally has The Mouse chained to his sword, for Pete's sake. Also bearing in mind that we know each of the DLC fighters will be coming with a stage, and most of Kingdom Hearts' locales originate from Disney properties, that'd likely cause some issues as well. There's also the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in working with Disney, considering they pulled Mario from Wreck-It Ralph 2 and are also working with a direct competitor for the construction of Super Nintendo World. I don't think he's super likely for these reasons, but he does have mainstream appeal and is the face of one of SE's main current franchises (even if the franchise itself is actually Disney), so I think if we lose our spot to anyone, it'll be Sora.

Dragon Quest is in a bit of a weird spot, considering it's apparently some sort of Pokemon-tier craze in Japan, but is a complete non-entity everywhere else. The series barely even gets localized anymore to the point where they're considering straight-up pulling it from the West completely. Hell, I'd argue Geno is more globally recognizable than any grab-bag Dragon Quest protag on Smash speculation alone, let alone any other DQ character not named Slime. We know worldwide appeal is important to Sakurai - it's the exact reason Takamaru got passed up twice - and it's for that reason alone that I just can't see him pulling a Marth and a Roy for the series in Smash. They'd even have to go through Armor Project, a completely separate company, to do so, which while they'd probably cooperate given that Smash is Smash, is still an extra step that would need be taken for a series that barely even exists for half the world. (Also, I just found this out today, but the DQ series' composer is apparently a massive ***** when it comes to licensing out their music to the point where you wouldn't be able to stream any fight taking place on a DQ stage or a DQ character winning a fight, so there's a more concrete reason that DQ likely won't be getting in Smash anytime soon [not to mention that the characters themselves are designed by Akira Toriyama, which has been enough to keep Chrono and friends in legal hell for the past several years]).

Another Final Fantasy character is unlikely, considering Sakurai chose Cloud specifically due to being the closest the series has to a mascot, not to mention Cloud's series being labelled as "FINAL FANTASY 7" in the Music list, yet still having the generic "FF" as his series icon. I guess it's not impossible that they throw Noctis in for ****s and giggles, but I'm not really banking on the possibility.

Lara Croft... nah, I don't see it. She was an icon once, but her and her series have effectively been sitting in rock bottom for years, not to mention SE owns Tomb Raider about as much as it owns Cooking Mama. (It's true. Look it up.)

I already glossed over Chrono's complex legal situation earlier, and even ignoring that, he doesn't have much support backing him up and SE doesn't seem to want much to do with the series these days. I'm not exactly well researched on the history of Chrono Trigger, so maybe I'm missing something here that makes Chrono a serious contender, but for now, I'm not giving him much thought.

2B and her game didn't even exist until last year, which was likely far too late for consideration if Rex's situation is any indication. Not much to say here.

Geno, meanwhile, already exists in the game in some visible form, implying that Sakurai has already worked out the licensing necessary to use him, and has obvious ballot support on his side as well as favor with the creator. At this point, he'd be by far the easiest Square character to add from a legal and logistical standpoint, and his inclusion makes sense given him having Nintendo blood in him already. The bottom line is, if Sakurai gets his way, Geno will be playable, even if it takes a DLC deal with the devil to do it. I just can't see him shafting us completely considering his word on Geno in the past, and if he's not our hypothetical SE rep, then I will gladly drop the case for him right then and there. Because frankly, if Square would sooner pass the buck to Disney than cave to the fans' requests and add Geno, then it's overwhelmingly clear at that point that they want absolutely nothing to do with the character for whatever reason and nothing short of a full-scale revival of SMRPG as a series will be able to save him. (Which could happen, I dunno, would be awesome.)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just really felt like getting my thoughts out regarding Geno's competition.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad this fanbase has found the strength to move on from Thursday's disappointing news and look toward the future of DLC. I don't think our chances for DLC are quite as good as they were for base, but I still wouldn't call it a stretch to call Geno the most likely potential SE character (which I'm willing to trust in Verg that we will be getting one as DLC - Square loves DLC, after all) considering his competition all have less going for them and more going against them.

Sora is definitely the second most likely after him, but he comes with his own host of issues mainly courtesy of Disney. I mean, he quite literally has The Mouse chained to his sword, for Pete's sake. Also bearing in mind that we know each of the DLC fighters will be coming with a stage, and most of Kingdom Hearts' locales originate from Disney properties, that'd likely cause some issues as well. There's also the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in working with Disney, considering they pulled Mario from Wreck-It Ralph 2 and are also working with a direct competitor for the construction of Super Nintendo World. I don't think he's super likely for these reasons, but he does have mainstream appeal and is the face of one of SE's main current franchises (even if the franchise itself is actually Disney), so I think if we lose our spot to anyone, it'll be Sora.

Dragon Quest is in a bit of a weird spot, considering it's apparently some sort of Pokemon-tier craze in Japan, but is a complete non-entity everywhere else. The series barely even gets localized anymore to the point where they're considering straight-up pulling it from the West completely. Hell, I'd argue Geno is more globally recognizable than any grab-bag Dragon Quest protag on Smash speculation alone, let alone any other DQ character not named Slime. We know worldwide appeal is important to Sakurai - it's the exact reason Takamaru got passed up twice - and it's for that reason alone that I just can't see him pulling a Marth and a Roy for the series in Smash. They'd even have to go through Armor Project, a completely separate company, to do so, which while they'd probably cooperate given that Smash is Smash, is still an extra step that would need be taken for a series that barely even exists for half the world. (Also, I just found this out today, but the DQ series' composer is apparently a massive ***** when it comes to licensing out their music to the point where you wouldn't be able to stream any fight taking place on a DQ stage or a DQ character winning a fight, so there's a more concrete reason that DQ likely won't be getting in Smash anytime soon [not to mention that the characters themselves are designed by Akira Toriyama, which has been enough to keep Chrono and friends in legal hell for the past several years]).

Another Final Fantasy character is unlikely, considering Sakurai chose Cloud specifically due to being the closest the series has to a mascot, not to mention Cloud's series being labelled as "FINAL FANTASY 7" in the Music list, yet still having the generic "FF" as his series icon. I guess it's not impossible that they throw Noctis in for ****s and giggles, but I'm not really banking on the possibility.

Lara Croft... nah, I don't see it. She was an icon once, but her and her series have effectively been sitting in rock bottom for years, not to mention SE owns Tomb Raider about as much as it owns Cooking Mama. (It's true. Look it up.)

I already glossed over Chrono's complex legal situation earlier, and even ignoring that, he doesn't have much support backing him up and SE doesn't seem to want much to do with the series these days. I'm not exactly well researched on the history of Chrono Trigger, so maybe I'm missing something here that makes Chrono a serious contender, but for now, I'm not giving him much thought.

2B and her game didn't even exist until last year, which was likely far too late for consideration if Rex's situation is any indication. Not much to say here.

Geno, meanwhile, already exists in the game in some visible form, implying that Sakurai has already worked out the licensing necessary to use him, and has obvious ballot support on his side as well as favor with the creator. At this point, he'd be by far the easiest Square character to add from a legal and logistical standpoint, and his inclusion makes sense given him having Nintendo blood in him already. The bottom line is, if Sakurai gets his way, Geno will be playable, even if it takes a DLC deal with the devil to do it. I just can't see him shafting us completely considering his word on Geno in the past, and if he's not our hypothetical SE rep, then I will gladly drop the case for him right then and there. Because frankly, if Square would sooner pass the buck to Disney than cave to the fans' requests and add Geno, then it's overwhelmingly clear at that point that they want absolutely nothing to do with the character for whatever reason and nothing short of a full-scale revival of SMRPG as a series will be able to save him. (Which could happen, I dunno, would be awesome.)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just really felt like getting my thoughts out regarding Geno's competition.
You also forgot they could actually Profit off Geno if he was DLC then instead of base roster. Because people try to say he wouldn't make any Profit if he was Base roster or little Profit if dlc. But clearly he would sell tons of money especially after sakurai said "only buy the dlc if it is of value to you" or something like that.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord

I think that guy (or gal) was 100% right, and they didn't say anything at all toxic; just voiced their opinion. They're a paying customer for a video game; this is no charity you know.

The characters themselves were the issue, not the quantity.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
How do you think the dlc sets will be released? Do you think the release of each set will be evenly spaced out until Feb 2020 or do you think that they will all be released around the same time a year from now?

Sakurai has stated that it takes around a year to develop a new character from scratch, but I feel like it makes more business sense to spread out the releases and that the first set should be released earlier than a year from now. This is why I feel like Sakurai maybe lying when he says that they haven't started working on any of the dlc yet.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Lara hasn't been sitting at rock bottom. Ever since the reboot she's been up there again. I don't think rise or Shadow were as good as the first one but they're all good.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
I think that guy (or gal) was 100% right, and they didn't say anything at all toxic; just voiced their opinion. They're a paying customer for a video game; this is no charity you know.

The characters themselves were the issue, not the quantity.
Yeah, but he/she still haven't paid yet. If you don't like it, your way of protesting is to not buy the game. Nobody is pointing a gun at us forcing us to buy it.
You know, for all of us, if we got dissappointed, it was just our fault for overflowing our hype. Sakurai just stated some facts that he followed. Everything else was pure fandom. So if you are calling calling him hypocrite and wishing to step aside for not fulfilling your hype, despite giving us 74 characters (that, as you may know, has to be a freaking hell to balance all of them), a lot of stages, so freaking many music tracks, a whole new adventure mode and many things more, working so hard as a team...then no, something is wrong with you, not Sakurai.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Yeah, but he/she still haven't paid yet. If you don't like it, your way of protesting is to not buy the game. Nobody is pointing a gun at us forcing us to buy it.
You know, for all of us, if we got dissappointed, it was just our fault for overflowing our hype. Sakurai just stated some facts that he followed. Everything else was pure fandom. So if you are calling calling him hypocrite and wishing to step aside for not fulfilling your hype, despite giving us 74 characters (that, as you may know, has to be a freaking hell to balance all of them), a lot of stages, so freaking many music tracks, a whole new adventure mode and many things more, working so hard as a team...then no, something is wrong with you, not Sakurai.
Because people don’t share your opinion, something is wrong with them. Well, that’s an interesting concept.

Jesus, stop talking like if you had the moral highground. We don’t need moral’s knights to say how people are wrong when they don’t have the good opinion. Some people don’t share your thoughs and that’s fine, now get over it and enjoy the damn game or talk about Geno (because yeah, that’s Geno’s topic).

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Seriously, let's just move on, people. Klimax still wants to buy the game and he wants to move on towards supporting Geno for DLC which is what we should all be doing as it is the POINT of this topic. But yeah, I do hope Geno is the next DLC as this is already a great game, but it will be even better with him there.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I agree with you, just when it comes to smash bros Sakurai would mostly likely pick forest maze just before he was introduced there. Sakurai is just that guy. Plus the music is very memorable to Geno fans and fans of the game in general. Of course it's iconic! You meet a party member there and to many or little it's also memorable for how annoying the maze was.
I wouldn't want annoying things to be memorable.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So now it's pretty much a waiting game.

I think revealing Geno as the first DLC is a good thing. He's a character that people like , and may encourage people to buy the fighter season pass. Because as a competitive player , I bought all the DLCs back in Sm4sh, despise only playing :ultolimar: and :ultkingdedede: seriously. But I knew who the fighters were , I was sold on them, even Corrin (Fates was I game I was kind of hyped for). But I don't want to spend 25 bucks into something that will maybe disapoint me. I want at least Geno. ( or freaking Louie as an echo , but Sakurai said no. No more echo fighters is a wasted opportunity. ) Because Steve from Minecraft and Katalina will just disapoint me... And yeah , they are other choices , but I don't want to get my hopes up. Getting the Icies back was already amazing for me , so I won't expect too much from DLC. Geno is a reasonable pick in my opinion , because of his current situation and the other potential SE rep.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
So now it's pretty much a waiting game.

I think revealing Geno as the first DLC is a good thing. He's a character that people like , and may encourage people to buy the fighter season pass. Because as a competitive player , I bought all the DLCs back in Sm4sh, despise only playing :ultolimar: and :ultkingdedede: seriously. But I knew who the fighters were , I was sold on them, even Corrin (Fates was I game I was kind of hyped for). But I don't want to spend 25 bucks into something that will maybe disapoint me. I want at least Geno. ( or freaking Louie as an echo , but Sakurai said no. No more echo fighters is a wasted opportunity. ) Because Steve from Minecraft and Katalina will just disapoint me... And yeah , they are other choices , but I don't want to get my hopes up. Getting the Icies back was already amazing for me , so I won't expect too much from DLC. Geno is a reasonable pick in my opinion , because of his current situation and the other potential SE rep.
Why the disappointment over Katalina? Since Nintendo is working with Cygames for mobile, I find it's just a matter of time when we will get a mobile representative. And since it doesn't have outstanding characters, maybe Katalina would fill that niche.
But yeah, Steve can get lost -_-

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I still don't buy the Katalina thing as she is a big "who" outside of Japan and if we really needed mobile representation, then an FE Heroes OC like Fjorm can do the job a lot better, but no matter who is DLC I will buy them all the same as every character is a welcomed addition even Steve. Still, I hope Verge is right that the first DLC announced is the SE character as I want this to be over with as soon as possible if we are getting Geno or not.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Agree on that as well. The only character that is rumored that does not sit well with me is Steve. Just there is something odd and off about it. Feels almost barebones and it would not lookthat good if it gets added.

If there HAS to be a MS character, then I would rather Banjo/Kazooie or Master Chief if we go that far.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
A character from Dragalia Lost would make more sense than someone with zero ties with Nintendo. If Katalina actually makes it to the roster, well, color me surprised.

Count me in as a fellow Geno supporter too. This guy clearly deserves a spot after all these years of waiting.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Why the disappointment over Katalina? Since Nintendo is working with Cygames for mobile, I find it's just a matter of time when we will get a mobile representative. And since it doesn't have outstanding characters, maybe Katalina would fill that niche.
But yeah, Steve can get lost -_-
It's the same problem as Rex and Pyra. I don't know what are unique with them. Everybody and their mother said that Rex was a shoe-in but I didn't see anyone talked about how awesome they are. I know there is some stuff with Pyra beeing a spirit sword or something? I don't know anything about Xenoblade.

I know I should make some research to know why they are unique... But when I see Katalina at first glance... She's a girl with a sword. Yeah , pretty design. But the art style and the sword are done to death. I don't have anything against anime style , swordman/girl , or their games , but I don't know what is unique with her. I can't get excited about Katalina to be honest. At least, with Rex and Pyra I saw their unique clothings and their sword with different design...

I don't have anything against theses characters but Katalina seem bland to me.

Anyway , I won't go too much off-topic , it's still the Geno thread.

TBone06

Smash Ace
It's the same problem as Rex and Pyra. I don't know what are unique with them. Everybody and their mother said that Rex was a shoe-in but I didn't see anyone talked about how awesome they are. I know there is some stuff with Pyra beeing a spirit sword or something? I don't know anything about Xenoblade.

I know I should make some research to know why they are unique... But when I see Katalina at first glance... She's a girl with a sword. Yeah , pretty design. But the art style and the sword are done to death. I don't have anything against anime style , swordman/girl , or their games , but I don't know what is unique with her. I can't get excited about Katalina to be honest. At least, with Rex and Pyra I saw their unique clothings and their sword with different design...

I don't have anything against theses characters but Katalina seem bland to me.

Anyway , I won't go too much off-topic , it's still the Geno thread.
As someone who played a bit of XC2, I think Rex and Pyra could have been an awesome character. The mechanics in that game were really cool and if they incorporated Pyra into the moveset, I think it could have been really awesome. It wouldn't be like adding a FE character.

As for Katalina, even PushDustin doesn't see a Granblue character coming. I honestly think most of the DLC will be 3rd party, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised (though I don't think it's guaranteed) if we get two characters associated with Square. Geno and Sora COULD happen. For that matter, Banjo/Kazooie and Steve? COULD happen. I don't think there will be rules. If they think the character will sell, they will bring them in, assuming they can work out the deal.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Hi there, I don't know if everyone is aware since someone from your thread came in Shantae's to tell us that Geno is not a spirit, but I do think Geno is a spirit indeed after I noticed this :
spiritss.PNG

Seems like we are in the same boat guys

EDIT : And I'd also like to point out that I've seen what appears to be a normal Peach as an equipped spirit as well ( which indeed means that our DLC chances are not dead ^^ ) :
peach spirit.PNG

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Hi there, I don't know if everyone is aware since someone from your thread came in Shantae's to tell us that Geno is not a spirit, but I do think Geno is a spirit indeed after I noticed this :
View attachment 175617
I’m not surprised and to be honest, I don’t think it’s a big deal. The consensus is that being a spirit is not a disconfirmation (because we can be sure that every significant first party character will have a spirit and having zero first party as DLC is highly unlikely). So yeah, I do think Shantae and Geno are on the same boat.

TBone06

Smash Ace
View attachment 175617

EDIT : And I'd also like to point out that I've seen what appears to be a normal Peach as an equipped spirit as well ( which indeed means that our DLC chances are not dead ^^ ) :
View attachment 175621
The thing that gives me pause is the fact that the Klaptrap render is different between the icon and his spirit. So realistically, until we see an actual spirit of Geno, we can't assume he is. Sure, it could happen, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the Geno player icon means nothing. Klaptrap has his Ultimate render as an icon and his DKC render for a spirit. Zero's is different, too.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Trophies does not deconfirm characters. Trophies are replaced with spirits in this game, therefore spirits does not deconfirm characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom