• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
- Wasn't shown as a Spirit (player icon which was on Online Mode, not Spirits mode)
- DLC for Ultimate was picked around the beginning of their development, around the time of the Mii Costume
- Vergeben's support of a Square character. He has been the most consistent leaker
- Other popular characters disconfirmed by Assist Trophy (Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid)
- All arguments that were valid before the final roster revealed
  • Geno did not appear as an assist trophy, one of the many factors that people assume deconfirms a character.
  • Geno was shown as a profile picture for online play, not even a spirit (and people are saying that a spirit does not deconfirm a character because people like K. Rool has one, which means Geno is certainly not out of the running.
  • Geno would make Square a lot of money if he were DLC, since he would be an easier character to implement into the game over someone like Sora. Geno is half-owned by Nintendo, and Sakurai has already shown in Smash 4 that he can get permission to use Geno.
Nice! Thank you guys! If anything else comes up or that y'all may of missed, we've gotta make sure to add that as well! This post I'm gonna do will probably be made tomorrow along side some new Geno artwork I'm working on. Again, though, thank y'all and let's see if we can find anything else!

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention geno’s rights are clearly being used in ultimate by his icon shown yesterday.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I am starting to have doubting thoughts.

With how Sakurai casually approached the Rex Mii DLC costume without thinking much about saving Rex for later to incorporate Rex's huge moveset potential, I am starting to think that Sakurai was just satisfied enough with the Geno Mii costume back in Smash 4 DLC and not do anything more than that. It seems to me that whatever Sakurai reveals first as a Mii costume is something satisfying enough for Sakurai to move on to other matters, especially when it comes to third-party matters, and especially so when it comes to Square Enix.

The K. Rool, Inkling and Isabelle Mii costume from Smash 4 does hold pause on my doubts, but I honestly do not know anymore.
Sakurai addressed this in the Direct. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS came out too late for consideration for this game. The roster, including DLC, was decided in late 2015. Xenoblade 2 didn't release until 2017. Sakurai very heavily implied that the Mii costume was an apology.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think it's the same situation. Sakurai said Geno was to "at least give his fans something" because there was no way they were going to do two Square Enix characters as DLC and Cloud took priority for obvious reasons. Sakurai said he wanted Geno since Brawl so, in that sense, Cloud was a Trojan horse and its fairly probable that Sakurai was simply playing the long game. Time will tell but that's what we know suggests.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Sakurai addressed this in the Direct. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS came out too late for consideration for this game. The roster, including DLC, was decided in late 2015. Xenoblade 2 didn't release until 2017. Sakurai very heavily implied that the Mii costume was an apology.
And you full well know Springman and Rex won't be DLC. Sakurai likes to hold characters for future games to promote the game. Smash 7 with your favorite character from the RECENT Xenoblade!

So it begs the question of who exactly is in the 5?

Geno still has a big chance

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm still reasonably hopeful.

Reliable sources say a Square character is in and my best guess is it's either him or Sora. Leaning more towards Geno

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's the same situation. Sakurai said Geno was to "at least give his fans something" because there was no way they were going to do two Square Enix characters as DLC and Cloud took priority for obvious reasons. Sakurai said he wanted Geno since Brawl so, in that sense, Cloud was a Trojan horse and its fairly probable that Sakurai was simply playing the long game. Time will tell but that's what we know suggests.
Cloud being simply a vehicle for Geno to get in the next game... Wow. I have no ill feelings towards Geno, but he's Cloud freaking Strife. He got in because Sakurai knew he would drive the fanbase absolutely mad with hype; it was not as a ploy to get Geno.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
I'm still reasonably hopeful.

Reliable sources say a Square character is in and my best guess is it's either him or Sora. Leaning more towards Geno
Yeah, fair assessment. Popular in both the West and Japan while under the Square banner. Both is possible I guess.

And sorry to go off topic now, but that name. Monkey Island and Homestar Runner rolled into one? Nice!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Since DLC was planned back in 2015, and with the AT massacre... Who is eligible then?

Geno and Banjo and Kazooie... I hope they are in. But... Honestly, Even if Geno and Banjo aren't owned by Nintendo, they are Nintendo characters at heart. I would love to see more Nintendo characters that aren't Pokemon or Fire emblem lords. (and since they deconfirmed Echoes as DLC, Louie is dead. I really hope Pikmin 4 is still a thing...)

Also, Iv'e noticed something...

Mario and luigi are still stuck on the 3DS (With the remake of Bowser in Time), and Paper Mario is nowhere to be seen since Color Splash. This may never happen... But what if they reboot the Mario RPG series with making a Geno game featuring Mario and coe? I mean , if they see the potential in Geno, they can give him a game. Even if it's more oriented towards begginers... Well, SMRPG was a begginer's RPG... I think Geno's overall design could appeal to kids.
At least, it did back during SMRPG release, he was one of the most loved characters... And I can see him getting something like this, even now, even if kids are more appealed towards more... i'm going to sound like a grumpy grand-father, but nowadays, even for kids, violence or action is what they want.

Geno is cool as hell, and if they do a good job with marketing and artworks (A Star Warrior with an hand gun and lasers, what can go wrong? And he's smart, he's a good example lol!) I can see him getting a new life. Even if he change a bit.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Here is a vergeben quote from today in regards to the SE DLC character(s).

for years, but I fear it gets worse the longer I live in Germany again. xD
I'm sorry I was rude. I get a little mad if things get misinterpreted since it can and has lead to people misquoting or saying things I simply did not say. It gets stressful.
Again I apologize.
When it comes hearing multiple Square Enix character names, I don't think the reason is because there are actually more than one coming. That wouldn't be a bad idea considering the names that I have heard though. But I don't think that's contributing to why.
I do believe what I was told and the reason why is to make it easier for them to pinpoint leakers within their company & also prevent people that hear about them and there being more than one being passed around something to discourage leakers from actually saying the names they heard.”

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
"When it comes hearing multiple Square Enix character names, I don't think the reason is because there are actually more than one coming. That wouldn't be a bad idea considering the names that I have heard though. But I don't think that's contributing to why.
I do believe what I was told and the reason why is to make it easier for them to pinpoint leakers within their company & also prevent people that hear about them and there being more than one being passed around something to discourage leakers from actually saying the names they heard."
This tells me that anyone coming forward claiming to have a specific name probably shouldn't be trusted.

We won't know for sure until the SE character is officially revealed.

(ugh)

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
The part I found interesting was “That wouldn't be a bad idea considering the names that I have heard though. But I don't think that's contributing to why.” In regards to there potentially being more then one rep.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Cloud being simply a vehicle for Geno to get in the next game... Wow. I have no ill feelings towards Geno, but he's Cloud freaking Strife. He got in because Sakurai knew he would drive the fanbase absolutely mad with hype; it was not as a ploy to get Geno.
I said in a sense. We know that Geno didn't get into Brawl probably because Square didn't like the idea of having Geno next to Sonic and Snake in comparison. Then Cloud was negotiated for Smash 4 with Geno in tow. Now it's 4 years later and we know that Geno is in the game to some degree, meaning the character was once again liscensed for this game. Sakurai can like both characters and evidence has shown that he had made an effort to get both.

Last edited:

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Good to see that the evidence is actually compiling towards Geno not being deconfirmed after all. That, combined with Vergeben now proving himself to actually being a credible leaker and his notion towards there being a Square Enix rep, makes me very hopeful that he's going to make it in the DLC. We've ****ing got this, puppetbros.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, fair assessment. Popular in both the West and Japan while under the Square banner. Both is possible I guess.

And sorry to go off topic now, but that name. Monkey Island and Homestar Runner rolled into one? Nice!
Yeah, I made my username on Telltale's boards before they hit it big with The Walking Dead and then entered the fatal spiral.

On topic, we'll see how much Super Mario RPG music is in game, if any. The less music, the more likely DLC is, in my head.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
So... Since Mach Rider isn’t as likely anymore, is anyone else wondering what Sakurai bought that mecha toy with the rifle for now? Sure there is a plethora of things the rifle could be used for, but I remember at one point people suggested it could be for Geno.

I doubt it at this point but it’s still an interesting thing to consider.
Geno because he hasn't been in 3d. However mach was in 3d in melee as a collective trophy.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I have a question for everyone. Let's say SMRPG didn't star Mario or have anything to do with Mario at all, and Geno was still a side-character in this original game. Do you think Geno still would have received so much popularity without being branded alongside the Italian plumber?

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if Geno will be in the Fighter Pass, since Pirahna Plant stole his thunder, but I'm sure there will be a second Fighter Pass, and he has substantially better odds of appearing there.

Hello? You do know the that the DLC will be released in 2020 right? The plant DLC will be released a couple of months after the release of the game. He wouldn't steal his thunder Because he would have it in February 2020 lol. Imo Geno will be DLC.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for everyone. Let's say SMRPG didn't star Mario or have anything to do with Mario at all, and Geno was still a side-character in this original game. Do you think Geno still would have received so much popularity without being branded alongside the Italian plumber?
I get a minor impression that this question might be a little incendiary but I'll ignore it because I'm probably wrong. Obviously not, the game as incredible as it is would never have seen the heights it saw without Mario heading the title. Just want to note that in itself doesn't take away from Geno any more than it takes away from Bowser, or Peach, or any other character in the Mario series.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
If Sora were in the game, that means he'd come with a stage + music. I assume Disney owns the rights to Traverse Town and any Songs, and it's not like they'll pick a Disney world. I think a DQ rep would be more likely to steal the slot than Sora.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
If Sora were in the game, that means he'd come with a stage + music. I assume Disney owns the rights to Traverse Town and any Songs, and it's not like they'll pick a Disney world. I think a DQ rep would be more likely to steal the slot than Sora.
And Geno is the most likely to steal the spot from a DQ rep.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hard to say because a big part of what made SMRPG special was because it was a Mario game. At the time, it was so weird and amazing. All the Mario cast suddenly had personalities. There were crazy enemies. It was genuinely funny. It had a fleshed out world and an honest to God story. This was far different from your standard Mario game at the time. Without Mario, maybe it could have been a cult classic. As for Geno, he was basically a Square character planted in a Mario game which made him stand out so much. Regardless of that, a doll that has weapons tucked away in every joint is still pretty exceptional. He was sort of the straight man in a goofy world which helped make him memorable.

I hate that everyone HAS to listen to Verge now.... he's SUCH an *******.
Jon from Game Explain among others have implied the same thing. Vergeben isn't the only one that has been saying a Square DLC is very likely.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
For anyone who knows Sakurai literally says spirits are replacing collectable trophies. Plus mewtwo had his old trophy model and so did Lucas but they were still dlc characters. So a spirit sticker doesn't deconfirm him as DLC, hopes this clears the " is he deconfirmed?" Argument. P.s. they roster was being decided in 2015 the same time they began DLC planning too. That would make sense that he was a mii costume because he saved him for ultimate as DLC most especially if square wants to make Profit off him.

Attachments

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I kinda wish some high profile figures in the smash community actually campaigned for fighters. Everyone's just kind of.... complacent with Isaac being an assist and no Geno OR Banjo, despite them expressing interest in the lead up to the final direct. I dunno; if I had a large voice, I'd be speaking for people who got shafted.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Nice! Thank you guys! If anything else comes up or that y'all may of missed, we've gotta make sure to add that as well! This post I'm gonna do will probably be made tomorrow along side some new Geno artwork I'm working on. Again, though, thank y'all and let's see if we can find anything else!
dont forget jon from gamexplain (who gets a lot of lucky "guesses") has said geno will likely be dlc

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, guys. After 11 years, I'm throwing in the towel. I don't think I can keep going, and I'm pulling my support for Geno in Smash. I have nothing against you or anyone supporting Geno, but by now I'm just too tired personally, and I have alot of other things in real life that are already dragging me down too.

I've unliked the main post, so you can remove my name from the support list. Super Mario RPG will always be one of my favorite games of all time, but at this point I doubt Geno is ever going to be playable in Smash. My hype is just gone.

To all of you who keep fighting on for his playable inclusion, I wish you nothing but the best. You guys are the real Star Warriors.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
the way things are looking now, the square enix dlc rep is either gonna be geno (popular in the west and japan) or a dq rep (only really popular in japan)

i think its kinda obvious geno has a better chance of getting in, especially since geno has a lot more in his favor than a dq rep, but we'll see

Well, I'm in a ****ty mood. Most of my hype for Ultimate is down the drain. I still really want to like it, but the fact that a generic faceless mook got in while my ultimate most wanted, Waluigi, STILL can't be more than an assist trophy (REALLY?! And I don't care if it's a joke, it still took away development time that could have been spent on literally any other character out of hundreds, including some of my wants. Haha, so funny!) as well as the fact that in this same direct, all my other most wanted sans Geno were hard deconfirmed AND will most certiantly not become DLC (unless some miraculous new rule is made regarding Assist Trophies, which I highly doubt). If that didn't suck enough, some ****faces felt the need to talk **** because I dared to hate PP getting in over my entire wishlist of characters AND say that this game is anti-hype for me. Apparently, being upset that a basic mook was prioritized over any of my most wanted is a ****ing crime. **** them. **** all of them. Those smug, arrogant, pieces of ****.

Anyways, I've decided that, for the time being, I'm not gonna be buying Ultimate, and I'll be sticking with Melee and Smash 4. Just won't be worth all the empty feelings I'll have while playing it.... :'(

I won't hang around the Ultimate boards much anymore, I'll still hang around here a lot, though, but that's it. I'm glad to hear Geno is still in the running, and I pray to the gods he'll be DLC. If he made it, I wouldn't care about anything else, and I'd end up buying the game after all.

But with all my luck, this Sqeenix rep is probably gonna be Sora or a Dragon Quest character, because I don't deserve nice things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom