• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I get "quiet" because I've told people repeatedly that I don't answer super specific questions about characters, companies, or franchises. It's actually Mr. Smithers from the Simpsons! Nintendo Ninjas, do your worst...
DAMNIT!!! I really wanted it to be Comic Book Guy.

Comic Book Guy: Worst rep ever!

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
There is honestly no front liners for DLC. We got characters that nobody would've guess like Joker & Terry and we know it's going to be a third party. It can literally be anyone at this point. It could be a character that you never thought about. Just about any character (with the exception of Crash, Geno, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, and other characters that people have already deconfirmed) can be the front liner of the fifth character.

OffBi

Smash Ace
There is honestly no front liners for DLC. We got characters that nobody would've guess like Joker & Terry and we know it's going to be a third party. It can literally be anyone at this point. It could be a character that you never thought about. Just about any character (with the exception of Crash, Geno, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, and other characters that people have already deconfirmed) can be the front liner of the fifth character.
JOE IS IN SMASH

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Man I really hope they don’t nerf Moe in the next patch, he’s been really strong after 6.0.0
I can speak from experience, when they nerf, they nerf - Ice Climbers-esque duo Itchy & Scratchy have never been the same since their initial fall from grace back in 5.0.0...

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I will say that it provides a decent and grounded foundation for like half the hypothetical list of names floating around which is why I've telling people that it may very well be be onto something, at least for post pass.
But you don't believe #5 is Ryu like that post says?

link2702

Smash Champion
Namco still owns the rights to KOS-MOS as a character though. Her Xenoblade 2 artwork has the Bandai Namco copyright on it, and she’s counted as a Namco character for the Project X Zone games. Her likeness has also had cameos in other Namco series like the Soul Calibur and Tales Of games (as costumes).
Ah, ok then. So she might actually be a possibility.

Guess we’ll just need to wait and see. I still am not sure if it’d be her only cuz she’s so popular and supposedly the final character is someone nobody would have guessed, but as long as geno gets in idc who’d be fp5.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Doesn’t Nintendo own monolith soft now though? Isn’t kosmos technically now nintendo’s anyway?

If we’re going with someone that would belong to namco 100%, I feel like Klonoa would be it.

Idk much about the character or how popular he is, just pointing out that imo, if it isn’t Heihachi or Lloyd, he’s the only one I can possibly see next. Unless KOS-MOS, at least a former version of her, is owned still by namco...but even then, she’s more popular so if what we know about the 5th character is that they’re not quite on most folks radar, she doesn’t fit that description.
Nintendo owns Monoltih Soft but Namco still owns the rights to Xenosaga and KOS-MOS, so she is still a 3rd party that just has close ties to Monolith Soft.

She wasn't really on anyones radar until the drunken cat V2.0 leak back in September, said leak hasn't been confirmed true or false yet; but there were certain things that were recently bought up that the leak stated before the insiders.

The major one was that the leak stated that Ryu Hayabuse is actually a post-pass character, and not character #5 (Who it stated was KOS-MOS). It also mentioned Reimu Hakurei from Touhou would be a post-pass character.

Keep in mind this was back in September, when most insiders were saying that Ryu is pretty much guaranteed to be character 5. It wasn't until late October that insiders started saying that Ryu wasn't character 5, but most likely a post-pass character. There was also a Touhou music leak from an "insider" stating that Sakurai has requested doujin circles to create music from the Touhou series for Smash. The music leak was supposedly "debunked" because the images that the insider provided about the upcoming Touhou game were already posted on social media; however, the debunk was also debunked because the images the insider provided were of a much higher quality than those officially released. So the leak may or may not be true.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I see what you did there but, no, Geno's not "Queen Latifah." In an ironic twist of fate, Geno currently has the most confidence aside from my theory character which is honestly wild since this time last year it was such an effort to keep the Geno fanbase from falling completely apart.
What makes me concerned was seeing that originally Sakurai was going to be one and done after the fighter pass and they only recently decided on something more after that due to the FP's success. That means there really WASN'T any plan for Geno since the start. Only the post pass has given any chance.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Had this big thing to explain all these points and then accidentally clicked a link and it all got erased now I'm sad. Here's some highlights: Cloud was way more impossible. Literally a PS1 icon and never on Nintendo aside from spinoffs the exact same as Joker. In fact since 7 until the Switch a mainline FF wasn't on a Nintendo console.
You've heard Llyod sure just like I've heard Ryu Hyubasa. They were speculated on but they were never popular. There's a huge difference. A gen 8 Pokemon was speculated on but it wasn't a pick due to want.
I didn't say the Joker reveal went bad I said if they were paying attention to where something would do best geographically then Joker wouldn't have been at the US hosted VGAs.
FF7 had a PC port like a year after launch, it was never exclusive. The franchise itself has been largely multiplatform since, between a bunch of remakes and ports that made it into the DS, the main releases on Xbox, and let alone the many, many spinoffs.

Persona 5, on the other hand, has been fully exclusive, which is what makes it more seemingly impossible. Its entire mainline series has been exclusive to one company besides the late-90s PC port of the first entry(which must’ve been a trend in that era). Joker was an especially recent character, too, which added to the shock.

And, well, on the support point, I’m not sure what more I can say. I’ve been seeing a ****-ton of genuine support for Lloyd this past year, especially in this thread.

And on the TGA point, Persona... well, while
it’s not exactly mainstream here, it’s not exactly super-niche, either, especially on PS. Hell, it was even nominated for GOTY the year prior, so a TGA reveal for it made perfect sense.

Not that I have a horse in the Bamco race since I don't really care who we get from that pool, but I've yet to see anyone bring up Digimon, from what I hear it's their second bestselling series next to PAC-MAN.

Plus the novelty of having Pokemon vs. Digimon would be cool.
Agumon would actually be really neat, and Bandai representation would fit in quite nicely with the whole “Atlus and Enix” thing that started off the pass: technically a returning company, but an aspect of it that has had zero representation thus far.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo owns Monoltih Soft but Namco still owns the rights to Xenosaga and KOS-MOS, so she is still a 3rd party that just has close ties to Monolith Soft.

She wasn't really on anyones radar until the drunken cat V2.0 leak back in September, said leak hasn't been confirmed true or false yet; but there were certain things that were recently bought up that the leak stated before the insiders.

The major one was that the leak stated that Ryu Hayabuse is actually a post-pass character, and not character #5 (Who it stated was KOS-MOS). It also mentioned Reimu Hakurei from Touhou would be a post-pass character.

Keep in mind this was back in September, when most insiders were saying that Ryu is pretty much guaranteed to be character 5. It wasn't until late October that insiders started saying that Ryu wasn't character 5, but most likely a post-pass character. There was also a Touhou music leak from an "insider" stating that Sakurai has requested doujin circles to create music from the Touhou series for Smash. The music leak was supposedly "debunked" because the images that the insider provided about the upcoming Touhou game were already posted on social media; however, the debunk was also debunked because the images the insider provided were of a much higher quality than those officially released. So the leak may or may not be true.
The predecessor leak, which I will dub “Drunken Cat 1.0” assuming 2.0 isn’t a piggybacker and the cat pic is the leaker’s “calling card”, also claimed Hero and Banjo dual reveal at E3 (they called the character Hero and not Erdrick) and that Banjo’s codename was “buddy”. All of it was true.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But you don't believe #5 is Ryu like that post says?
Tons of doubt on Ryu to the point I'd almost count him as a curve ball for #5. Confidence for him for #5 is through the floor. The name has been around since last November but nobody knows what to make of it. Is it real? Is it leakbait? Like Geno, it's a name that's refused to go away and there hasn't been strong evidence for it being fake so we've holding onto it. I feel like this is the only reason the name has gotten out because nobody knows what to make of it.

Firox

Smash Master
Ya know, speaking of Nintendo Ninjas, funny story:

So last night I had a dream that some Japanese guys in black broke into my house and tied me to a chair. Then they slid a laptop up beside me and showed me the footage of the Cacomallow leak and some Smashboards posts of mine saying that it was real. They demanded to know how I knew that it was real, who the people were that leaked the footage, and whether I'd told anyone that Geno was coming to Smash.

In surprise, I just blurted out, "Oh wait! So Geno IS getting into Smash?", to which one of them simply punched me square in the face. I tried to tell them I didn't know anything, but one of them whipped out a shuriken with the smash bros symbol in the center and held it to my throat. He said that if I didn't start talking, then nobody would ever find my body, so I did the only thing I could.....lie through my teeth.

I told them a guy named "Renji Abarai" (yeah, the one from Bleach) who worked for Sony leaked the info to screw over Nintendo and distract them from the development of Playstation All Stars 2. They seemed to buy it and started to walk out, saying that if I was lying that they'd be back. The second they left, I started hobbling around trying to free myself before finally waking up....

Holy feck, man, why can't I just have the "Geno reveal trailer" dream like everyone else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I just want to thank Fatman and his Circle for these updates and speculation information.
Without Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , Sabi, and Sabi's circle, speculation wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting.

So last night I had a dream that some Japanese guys in black broke into my house and tied me to a chair. Then they slid a laptop up beside me and showed me the footage of the Cacomallow leak and some Smashboards posts of mine saying that it was real. They demanded to know how I knew that it was real, who the people were that leaked the footage, and whether I'd told anyone that Geno was coming to Smash.

In surprise, I just blurted out, "Oh wait! So Geno IS getting into Smash?", to which one of them simply punched me square in the face. I tried to tell them I didn't know anything, but one of them whipped out a shuriken with the smash bros symbol in the center and held it to my throat. He said that if I didn't start talking, then nobody would ever find my body, so I did the only thing I could.....lie through my teeth.

I told them a guy named "Renji Abarai" (yeah, the one from Bleach) who worked for Sony le
aked the info to screw over Nintendo and distract them from the development of Playstation All Stars 2. They seemed to buy it and started to walk out, saying that if I was lying that they'd be back. The second they left, I started hobbling around trying to free myself before finally waking up....

Holy feck, man, why can't I just have the "Geno reveal trailer" dream like everyone else.
Lmao!

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Tons of doubt on Ryu to the point I'd almost count him as a curve ball for #5. Confidence for him for #5 is through the floor. The name has been around since last November but nobody knows what to make of it. Is it real? Is it leakbait? Like Geno, it's a name that's refused to go away and there hasn't been strong evidence for it being fake so we've holding onto it. I feel like this is the only reason the name has gotten out because nobody knows what to make of it.
So if not #5, then still possible post-pass. With everything we know so far, I would guess these are the likely characters for #5 and afterwards:

Ryu
Doom Slayer
Crash
Geno
Capcom character
Namco character

OffBi

Smash Ace

I told them a guy named "Renji Abarai" (yeah, the one from Bleach) who worked for Sony leaked the info to screw over Nintendo and distract them from the development of Playstation All Stars 2. They seemed to buy it and started to walk out, saying that if I was lying that they'd be back. The second they left, I started hobbling around trying to free myself before finally waking up....

What a story, Mark.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Two Nintendo Ninjas came to my door once. I'll never forget the words they said.

"Wii would like to play."

Firox

Smash Master
What makes me concerned was seeing that originally Sakurai was going to be one and done after the fighter pass and they only recently decided on something more after that due to the FP's success. That means there really WASN'T any plan for Geno since the start. Only the post pass has given any chance.
I had this exact same thought as well. Based on everything we know, it's basically proven that Sakurai didn't give too much of a **** to put in Geno until AFTER he'd gotten all of his own fan picks/Nintendo shills. Or at very least, he had to clear both Cloud AND Hero before SE would let Geno slide. The good news is that Geno's chances are still looking great for post pass, but the fact remains that he really wasn't priority in this game any more than he was in the past and that it was mostly the sheer QUANTITY of newcomers that were his saving grace (assuming he DOES get in).

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Since Geno is likely not #5 I hope KOS-MOS is, of all the potential BAMCO reps discussed I would enjoy that one the most.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Without Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I wouldn't even know who Geno was.

I don't know who you people are.

Lol!

I had this exact same thought as well. Based on everything we know, it's basically proven that Sakurai didn't give too much of a **** to put in Geno until AFTER he'd gotten all of his own fan picks/Nintendo shills. Or at very least, he had to clear both Cloud AND Hero before SE would let Geno slide. The good news is that Geno's chances are still looking great for post pass, but the fact remains that he really wasn't priority in this game any more than he was in the past and that it was mostly the sheer QUANTITY of newcomers that were his saving grace (assuming he DOES get in).
If Geno doesn't get in, it won't be Sakurai's fault, it will be Square-Enix's fault.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm surprise nobody is talking about Travis Touchdown potentially being in Smash Bros.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

Damn that sounds rough. I actually had a national treasure style one last night I considered posting about this morning but it was nothing compared to that. Well we did almost get trapped and drown in a 19th century shipwreck looking for cypher keys but it all turned out ok.
I wonder how it's going to feel post reveal to how it feels after a dream reveal

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
FF7 had a PC port like a year after launch, it was never exclusive. The franchise itself has been largely multiplatform since, between a bunch of remakes and ports that made it into the DS, the main releases on Xbox, and let alone the many, many spinoffs.

Persona 5, on the other hand, has been fully exclusive, which is what makes it more seemingly impossible. Its entire mainline series has been exclusive to one company besides the late-90s PC port of the first entry(which must’ve been a trend in that era). Joker was an especially recent character, too, which added to the shock.

And, well, on the support point, I’m not sure what more I can say. I’ve been seeing a ****-ton of genuine support for Lloyd this past year, especially in this thread.

And on the TGA point, Persona... well, it’s not exactly mainstream here, it’s not exactly super-niche, either, especially on PS. Hell, it was even nominated for GOTY the year prior, so a TGA reveal for it made perfect sense.
Ok but those remakes were of the games that were already on Nintendo systems. Really any FF 7-15 didn't start making their way to Nintendo consoles to well after Cloud was in Smash. It may have been multiplat but notice how those plats were not Nintendo. Now look at Persona. Yeah I suppose they have a history with Playstation as well and yet spin offs of the series still appear on Nintendo systems. In fact, Q2 was already announced before Joker came so it's not like the series has never left its home console. Unless you want to stick with the mainline series only in which case again FF moved off of Nintendo as well. Furthermore, FF wasn't picked due to any history with Nintendo or else they wouldn't have gone with the Final Fantasy famous for leaving Nintendo. Basically Joker was impossible because fans failed to learn their lesson from Cloud. That and he was so much smaller than any 3rd party added to that point. He did change the game for a lot of people I will admit and his inclusion was shocking but most of Joker's surprise came because of fan rules. Take those away and he wouldn't have been a very strong opening. I love P5 and his inclusion makes me happy but looking at objectively he has the exact same problems Llyod has and yet they still added him. They still put him in an important spot. I don't see how if Joker can do it as fighter 1 Llyod couldn't as fighter 5.
I'm sure you have seen support what I'm saying is you're probably overestimating how large it is. Llyod has never had a large presence in the Smash space. He's been around but to call him a major fan request is just so inaccurate. Take Doom Guy for example. His support is obviously genuine, but would you say he's been a large request in the Smash fanbase before leaks made people think about him more? No. Or a better example might be Sora. He's been around in Smash as a request for a while, however, he was never a large request in the Smash space until Sakurai started focusing on 3rd parties and KH3. His support was genuine but his presence small. It's like for Llyod. He's more around now especially with Namco looking so good as 5 but prior to this, he was not a character someone could point at and call a heavily demanded character.
It was nominated for the VGA because it was a good game. It doesn't mean it's not still niche. It did do great and better than RPGs usually do but it's still kind of niche and doesn't mean it wouldn't have made more sense in Japan where such games have a much stronger following.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Yeah same thoughts here. I used to wonder why when people were saying this pass was turning into Sakurai picks and wants, nobody thought that boded better for Geno.

I remember people thinking Geno had worse odds if the Fighters Pass was all decided by Nintendo. Then Joker and Terry come out. And people were saying those were super Sakurai picks. I thought this meant well for Geno along with other things.

Now it seems Geno was a "if I have time and feel up to it" sorta thing.

Ah, well, so long as he shows up, I suppose it's all good

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys, just imagine if we get Geno right when we will surpass the Smash 4 Ridley thread at page 1952. It would be amazing seeing this thread at it's peak as the biggest thread in Smashboards history right at the moment we finally get Geno. It would make our victory feel even grander.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Or Ryu's Nosferatu in the Hash Slinging Slasher episode. Or he's just... There... Standing there... Menacingly...
-After years of Geno speculation driving fans up the wall-

Geno fans: 'Sakurai, are you trying to put us in the nut house?'
Sakurai: 'No, just into this hole.'

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
My idea for Geno's Classic Mode route: Searching for Stars.

In each route, Mario, Peach and Bowser are his allies.

Round 1: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede and R.O.B..
Round 2: Olimar and three R.O.B.s.
Round 3: Rosalina & Luma and three R.O.B.s.
Round 4: Marx.
Round 5: Fox, Falco, Wolf and R.O.B.
Bonus Game.
Round 6: Giant Marth (his sword is a stand in for Exor).
Round 7: Giant grey King Dedede (stand in for Smithy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom