• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Well I did state that the circumstances were similar but that Llyod was way smaller. In fact you even reiterated my points as to why. Llyod opened the series to the west just like Cloud but yes you are right, it was to nowhere near the degree that Cloud did.
All true on the Yuri front expect the split. I don't know where you get that from. I'm a part of a very large amount of fan groups for Smash and most don't really talk Smash and if they do they say Llyod. Some bring up Yuri for popularity but their opinions are pretty similar to the Smash fan's reasonings.
I can see why they'd go for Yuri but I do think the chances are in favor of Llyod.
Though either one is fine with me.
I was stating Symphonia isn't like Final Fantasy 7, because Final Fantasy was still a well known name before 7 came out; unlike Tales of. Tales hasn't really had it's FF7 moment.

And I pretty much hang out around all the Smash forums, and Lloyd is brought up 10x more often than Yuri.

But yeah, I'm fine with either.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Melee: Game and Watch

Brawl: Olimar and Sheik (base roster), ROB (final)

Smash 4: Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr (base), Bayonetta and Corrin (DLC)

Ultimate: Ken and Inceniroar (base)
If i recall, both Roy and GnW were leaked for Melee and the people at the Nsider forums were met with grave disspointment once that was known.

and for Brawl, not only there was complaining for R.O.B. but i do remember the whole dilemma about Wolf getting in at all/some bull**** about Star Fox "bias" and Toon Link being a newcomer/essential replacement to Young Link.

but yeah, every Smash tend to have some anti-climactic choices in the very end of the line of reveals.
Bayonetta should've been the hyped reveal but her being a ballot influence turned off a lot of folks in the end, lol

People, especially in that crossposter ****hole /v/, should settle down on thinking what's hype and speculate on what kind of curveball thr man might throw at us or any community that their series might get any Smash representation.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If it really is a Namco rep, I don’t care who it is as long as it is not Lloyd.

I understand he has his fans, but he’d be such a boring pick for me personally.

I have no connection to the Tales series at all, he simply would just be.... meh.

Heihachi and a Dark Souls rep would be way more hype imo.
I would prepare to be bored and non-hype then.

-Voice actor makes tweet about new project
-Tweets picture in recording booth on videgame day
-New Tales of Logos copyrighted
-One fits suspiciously well with smash
-Missing Bamco costumes
-Fighter #5 looks to be a tribute to a company important to Sakurai (Bandai Namco)
-Lloyd was at least Sakurai’s top pick for Tales of mii, probably extends to fighter as well
-Is going to be a lower level reveal than Banjo

We in Lloyd gang

Edit: These darn servers I swear
https://i.imgflip.com/372ihb.png
Thank you for saying all this so I didn't have to type it out. A couple more things I would add though.
  • Canonically and consistently, Smash has ended on characters that are less than earth-shattering in terms of hype reveals
  • Sakurai JUST said that being fun to play is more important than being recognizable. Lloyd is no longer relevant in terms of being the main character of the Tales Of series, but he is very much the fan pick, and thus falls into this category perfectly. Those looking at s Dark Souls rep immediately forgot what Sakurai said.
  • Having two swords could offer Sakurai a unique moveset potential while not being too similar to other sword wielders.
  • Heihachi was said that he can't be done due to the complexity of Tekken. Tekken has too many moves with similar commands and doesn't really have special moves like other traditional fighting games and moves are rather complex for inputs which tends to put an entry wall as the better moves have more difficult inputs. This makes it more likely that Heihachi's costume will return over Lloyd's in terms of picking one over the other.
  • Lastly, Tales Of is starting to swirl a bit within certain circles of conversation that matters. It may not mean much now, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something new with the Tales Of series happened and then Lloyd got revealed for Smash at the VGAs.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Sabi seems to have not commented on anything Dark souls related but even if she has the general consensus is it's Lloyd or Heihachi. I thought dark souls was one of the least likely. And if a Sony rep were to happen I used to think Sackboy would be it as a Sony mascot but the more I think about it the more Kratos makes sense. Kratos doesn't have an uncertain future unlike Sackboy, is frequently used in crossovers if there is one, is one of their most popular characters and series and is just more well known than Sackboy. All over forums if someone asks a question of who is the Sony rep the general consensus is that it's Kratos. Kat is the popular pick but it'd probably be Kratos and now that I think about it when is PapaGenos gonna next upload lol
Thanks for reminding me:crying:
Lloyd or Heihachi would be the frontrunners if we weren’t talking about the final slot of a pass that:

-has had two JRPG reps already
-just had a fighting game character
-has had each new fighter technically be from companies new to Smash, counting Atlus and Enix separately
-would most likely have the final fighter be revealed at a big American-centric event

They’d make a good amount of sense for post-pass, but as #5? Either of them would be an underwhelming way to end off the pass. As seen from... well, being in this thread, I’m in full agreement with the “moveset matters over relevancy” argument, but at the same time I’d personally hope that people that aren’t into JRPGs or more traditional fighting games at least get something else out of this pass besides Banjo.
Yeah Dark souls just makes way more sense, it would be shocking in a good way like Farman said, but not too hype cause not everybody plays dark souls
I think people are getting their hopes weirdly up for #5. I've been looking around various sites and here and have seen absolutely sky high expectations so I figured I'd say something. Yes, it is the end of the pass but if people are expecting a reveal as big or bigger than Banjo, you're going to be disappointed. I used to disagree with this but, yeah, Nintendo's not exactly super great with final reveals for Smash games with the most hype final reveal being Ness for the original twenty years ago.

Melee: Game and Watch

Brawl: Olimar and Sheik (base roster), ROB (final)

Smash 4: Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr (base), Bayonetta and Corrin (DLC)

Ultimate: Ken and Inceniroar (base)

It's not hard to name bigger characters for all these games. Mewtwo for Melee, Sonic for Brawl, Little Mac, Palutena, and Cloud for Smash 4, and K. Rool, Banjo, and Ridley for Ultimate. That said, this is why I've been banging the drum (and then yer mum) for post pass because it seems like a hard steer back to big fan favorites based on what I know. I still think #5 will make people happy but to the same effect as Hero and Terry, not Banjo.
Dark souls time :4pacman:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Not that I have a horse in the Bamco race since I don't really care who we get from that pool, but I've yet to see anyone bring up Digimon, from what I hear it's their second bestselling series next to PAC-MAN.

Plus the novelty of having Pokemon vs. Digimon would be cool.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I would prepare to be bored and non-hype then.

Thank you for saying all this so I didn't have to type it out. A couple more things I would add though.
  • Canonically and consistently, Smash has ended on characters that are less than earth-shattering in terms of hype reveals
  • Sakurai JUST said that being fun to play is more important than being recognizable. Lloyd is no longer relevant in terms of being the main character of the Tales Of series, but he is very much the fan pick, and thus falls into this category perfectly. Those looking at s Dark Souls rep immediately forgot what Sakurai said.
  • Having two swords could offer Sakurai a unique moveset potential while not being too similar to other sword wielders.
  • Heihachi was said that he can't be done due to the complexity of Tekken. Tekken has too many moves with similar commands and doesn't really have special moves like other traditional fighting games and moves are rather complex for inputs which tends to put an entry wall as the better moves have more difficult inputs. This makes it more likely that Heihachi's costume will return over Lloyd's in terms of picking one over the other.
  • Lastly, Tales Of is starting to swirl a bit within certain circles of conversation that matters. It may not mean much now, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something new with the Tales Of series happened and then Lloyd got revealed for Smash at the VGAs.
Twice the amount of Marth slapped onto an extra Marth which technically means 3 times the amount of Marth for all the good boys and girls that eat up additional Marth. Oh goody

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Not that I have a horse in the Bamco race since I don't really care who we get from that pool, but I've yet to see anyone bring up Digimon, from what I hear it's their second bestselling series next to PAC-MAN.

That's probably anime, movies, merch etc

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, the closest thing Smash Bros ever had to finishing with a "bang" was funny enough, in Smash Bros Wii U, because the secret character was actually a character that a lot of people knew about (Duck Hunt).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People have been asking me about my confidence in my theory so I'll elaborate what I can. Picture this: Terry just came out and me and the rest of the Legion of Doom™ kind of nodded to ourselves that #5 was probably going to be one of three characters on the hypothetical list or a curve ball. We hold onto this idea for months and then things changed drastically. "Well, Hoober McDoober, like Sora, is probably more of a byproduct of wishful thinking than anything else as it largely has the presence of a pebble in a rock quarry when it comes to actual info." Okay, fine. Now it's two and a curve ball.

More time passes. "Okay, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I've been checking around and I'm 90% sure Queen Latifah is leak bait." Well... ****... It was a name we had heard a lot since probably since the early summer so it was kind of a gut punch. Now it's down to one and a curve ball and coincidentally a big piece of evidence fell into our laps yesterday. This is why I think either my theory for #5 is right or it's going to be someone like Terry or Joker that Nintendo managed to keep secret from virtually everyone until close to their reveal.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What would be the possibility that we don't get a character reveal at the TGA but instead we instead get a tease of a 30-40 minute Smash Bros Direct?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
People have been asking me about my confidence in my theory so I'll elaborate what I can. Picture this: Terry just came out and me and the rest of the Legion of Doom™ kind of nodded to ourselves that #5 was probably going to be one of three characters on the hypothetical list or a curve ball. We hold onto this idea for months and then things changed drastically. "Well, Hoober McDoober, like Sora, is probably more of a byproduct of wishful thinking than anything else as it largely has the presence of a pebble in a rock quarry when it comes to actual info." Okay, fine. Now it's two and a curve ball.

More time passes. "Okay, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I've been checking around and I'm 90% sure Queen Latifah is leak bait." Well... ****... It was a name we had heard a lot since probably since the early summer so it was kind of a gut punch. Now it's down to one and a curve ball and coincidentally a big piece of evidence fell into our laps yesterday. This is why I think either my theory for #5 is right or it's going to be someone like Terry or Joker that Nintendo managed to keep secret from virtually everyone until close to their reveal.
So there is still a chance Queen Latifah could still be playable as Nintendo could be keeping it a secret?

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
FF7 was not exclusive and neither is FF in general, while P5, and the rest of the mainline Persona series since 2, is. That’s an important distinction to many and made him that much more particularly impossible.

I don’t know where you’re looking, but I’ve legitimately seen Lloyd as a constant name in the speculation scene all year, between places like here, Discord, and Reddit. He might not be as big as other names, but he’s far from obscure in this scene.

And if you legitimately think that Joker’s reveal didn’t go over well, then... I’m not sure what to say, it was largely seen as one of the high points of the event. Maybe it wasn’t recieved too well for the particular crowd of fans that wanted certain requests, but- oh no, God help me, I’m starting to turn into one of those people that rants about the “Smash bubble”.

Need to get back to the topic of Geno... Oh! I know!

Question for everyone: Considering the way that waves have been going so far, Geno would most likely come with 5-6 Mii Costumes. We can safely say that the Chocobo hat’s one of them, and according to the text leak Mallow and Smithy might be two more... but what would the other 2-3 be?
My hope, is that they add in some Final Fantasy 7 costumes. If we're lucky, we can get a music track with each costume so we can slightly increase the amount of FF songs in the game. Like give us a Sephiroth costume with One Winged Angel. Or Barret with the Bombing Mission theme. I don't think this'll happen, but I think this would be a cool thing to throw in. Assuming Geno comes in spring, it'd be close to the FF7 remake, so maybe they can use it as a cross promotion.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78143628

So I know you posted about this before, but how well does it fit in with the recent info you got?

Plank08

Smash Lord
Not known in the community? Dark Souls is rarely talked about it the community
And every time we bring it up, Fatman gets silent
And it would be an earth shattering reveal because Dark Souls in Smash, but not necessarily a hype one
Yeah it’s dark Souls

OffBi

Smash Ace

Ok, can you now tell us who that character is, I mean, all the other are deconfirmed, you might as well say it.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
What would be the possibility that we don't get a character reveal at the TGA but instead we instead get a tease of a 30-40 minute Smash Bros Direct?
It could be both. When Cloud was revealed, we got a Direct reveal right after. They could do the same at the Game Awards

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
And it would be an earth shattering reveal because Dark Souls in Smash, but not necessarily a hype one
Yeah it’s dark Souls
In fairness, he's been silent on a Bamco character in general, as well as a handful of other characters. I don't think it means much in my opinion, but regardless I do think Dark Souls is likely

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
If it’s not Heihachi or Lloyd, the only Namco rep i can think of it might be is...

Klonoa?

He’s obscure, still someone people might be ok with, and still might be considered a thank you to namco.

I can’t think of anyone else. I’m not sure people would like Heihachi as that’d be two arcade fighting characters back to back which people might not want, lloyd seems too popular to be it since it doesn’t make sense given what we know....

Klonoa is the only one i can think of....I feel people will be pissed over it more than happy though. Maybe that also explains why sakurai announced more dlc was coming after the fp...he knew some might not be too thrilled over the final pick...

I’ve never played his game so idk what he’d play like...

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice

so basically, if I have this straight, for insiders the character list for #5 based off of partial speculation and partial actual inside information was Character X, Hoober, Queen Latifa, or a curveball. Upon reflection, Hoober didn’t seem to have any real proof, just sorta wishful thinking in conjunction with hearing things that, with confirmation bias, seemed to point to them.
That left Character X, Latifa, and curveball. But recently, Latifa had something come out to suggest she was never coming, leaving a Character X and a curveball. Then, yesterday, you got info pointing to Character X. Coincidentally, Character X is a character who would line up with the theory of 6- that the missing 9 mii costumes were supposed to be added with previous characters but the success of the fighters pass led Nintendo to hold off on them for the possibility of adding them either as fighters or as mii costumes with other fighters from the same companies or similar genres, suggesting we may still (BEYOND JUST THE FIGHTERS PASS), we may still get characters from Capcom Bamco, and SE.
Is that a good summary, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?
and also, I assume Hoober and Latifah aren’t characters you can identify, as you are only comfortable naming names that have already been leaked, yes?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
If it’s not Heihachi or Lloyd, the only Namco rep i can think of it might be is...

Klonoa?

He’s obscure, still someone people might be ok with, and still might be considered a thank you to namco.

I can’t think of anyone else. I’m not sure people would like Heihachi as that’d be two arcade fighting characters back to back which people might not want, lloyd seems too popular to be it since it doesn’t make sense given what we know....

Klonoa is the only one i can think of....I feel people will be pissed over it more than happy though. Maybe that also explains why sakurai announced more dlc was coming after the fp...he knew some might not be too thrilled over the final pick...

I’ve never played his game so idk what he’d play like...
KOS-MOS makes more sense than Klonoa to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

OffBi

Smash Ace
Yeah it’s dark Souls
Wasn't there a rumour about a character starting with s and ending with e?
Solaire?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Yeah I keep forgetting that Digimon is Bamco. I hate Digimon, but I like Agumon's design and that's probably who they'd go for and it would be cool to see Digimon vs Pokemon in some capacity.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
There was actually a text leak someone posted earlier on in this thread that dates back to March of this year, quoting Joker (already revealed), but then following up with Erdrick (Hero, now), Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard, and then a Dark Souls character of some kind. Unless they managed to nail some incredibly lucky guesses, that would be pretty legitimate, would it not? We didn't know anyone other than Joker until E3, so to know this stuff by end of March would be rather uncanny. I'm starting to think it's gonna be a Dark Soul.

EDIT: Not to mention, said 'prediction' was buried in an active thread, from what I remember, and not the headliner, so I'm wondering; if anyone was gonna post a legitimate leak, they could do it in a subtle manner to scoot under the radar. Just some pennies and thoughts.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Yes, "Queen Latifah" could still potentially be playable in the future but we've now put into consideration that its leakbait for #5, kind of like how Sephiroth was arguably a red herring for Hero.
I hope not. She has been requested since Brawl. Sakurai has said he wanted her in the game but Queen Latifah wouldn't let him put Queen Latifah in the game. She is the last highly requested character not in the game beside Isaac. The reason she is still brought up today is because she is such a memorable character. Her moveset is simple too. Latifah Whirl as side b where she whirls forwards, Latifah Boost as up b where she boosts upwards, Latifah Flash as a down b where she flashes (a torch) downwards and Latifah Beam as neutral b where she rides a beam out of her arm (cannon)

Firox

Smash Master
I know we've talked about it before but I really doubt we're going to get Heihachi or a Resident Evil Protagonist. Terry pretty much killed the chances of future classic arcade fighting characters getting in and I frankly don't think a Normal Human with a Gun™ is going to be unique enough to tickle Sakurai's fancy. People can justify the "uniqueness" of it all they want, but I'm sorry, I just don't see how Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, etc. is going to cut it. I mean, Snake BARELY fits the niche because of all his different weapons, signature silent takedowns and his comedic affinity for cardboard boxes. If anything, I agree that we might get a RE ANTAGONIST because the monsters could have more original movesets, etc. but that's just how I feel.

link2702

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS makes more sense than Klonoa to me.
Doesn’t Nintendo own monolith soft now though? Isn’t kosmos technically now nintendo’s anyway?

If we’re going with someone that would belong to namco 100%, I feel like Klonoa would be it.

Idk much about the character or how popular he is, just pointing out that imo, if it isn’t Heihachi or Lloyd, he’s the only one I can possibly see next. Unless KOS-MOS, at least a former version of her, is owned still by namco...but even then, she’s more popular so if what we know about the 5th character is that they’re not quite on most folks radar, she doesn’t fit that description.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
I'm bored so I'm following along here even though we really don't know anything.

But based on the Power of 6 Theory, it sounds like you're saying likely 2nd pass characters include:

Geno/Some other Square Enix character (To go with the Chocobo hat)

A Capcom Rep (Maybe Monster Hunter, if not, someone to go with Monster Hunter armor and the other Megamen)

Heihachi/Lloyd (Or another Bamco rep, and Heihachi returns as a costume that comes with them)

Something like that?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope not. She has been requested since Brawl. Sakurai has said he wanted her in the game but Queen Latifah wouldn't let him put Queen Latifah in the game. She is the last highly requested character not in the game beside Isaac. The reason she is still brought up today is because she is such a memorable character. Her moveset is simple too. Latifah Whirl as side b where she whirls forwards, Latifah Boost as up b where she boosts upwards, Latifah Flash as a down b where she flashes (a torch) downwards and Latifah Beam as neutral b where she rides a beam out of her arm (cannon)
I see what you did there but, no, Geno's not "Queen Latifah." In an ironic twist of fate, Geno currently has the most confidence aside from my theory character which is honestly wild since this time last year it was such an effort to keep the Geno fanbase from falling completely apart.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

Just to keep things straight when you speak in tounges you are referring to characters not yet publicly leaked correct?

Droodle

Smash Lord
There was actually a text leak someone posted earlier on in this thread that dates back to March of this year, quoting Joker (already revealed), but then following up with Erdrick (Hero, now), Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard, and then a Dark Souls character of some kind. Unless they managed to nail some incredibly lucky guesses, that would be pretty legitimate, would it not? We didn't know anyone other than Joker until E3, so to know this stuff by end of March would be rather uncanny. I'm starting to think it's gonna be a Dark Soul.

EDIT: Not to mention, said 'prediction' was buried in an active thread, from what I remember, and not the headliner, so I'm wondering; if anyone was gonna post a legitimate leak, they could do it in a subtle manner to scoot under the radar. Just some pennies and thoughts.
I've stated this before, but if that was an actual legitimate leak they would have specifically stated Hero instead of Erdrick.
It's just like the Kid Chameleon prediction, and they guessed that "Erdrick, Banjo, KOS-MOS, and Terry" would be coming as DLC characters.

Unless the leak specifically stated Hero instead of Erdrick, it pretty much fake.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I would believe a leaker and their pre-dated leak more if they said "Hero" instead of "Luminary" or "Erdrick". Too me, getting that correct is more critical than getting Joker, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry correct. Add that all together and it's pretty conveniencing.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I was stating Symphonia isn't like Final Fantasy 7, because Final Fantasy was still a well known name before 7 came out; unlike Tales of. Tales hasn't really had it's FF7 moment.

And I pretty much hang out around all the Smash forums, and Lloyd is brought up 10x more often than Yuri.

But yeah, I'm fine with either.
It was around sure but 7 is what made it jump up and the same with Tales. There games prior to Symphonia but that was the game that hooked people first and helped grow it in the West. It is an apt comparison but you're looking to much at scale. I mean almost no games have a FF7 on the scale of FF7 doesn't mean similar circumstances haven't happened.
Yeah, but I meant where you heard in Tales circles Yuri is just as talked about because from what I've been exposed to in Tales circles it's very similar to the Smash scene in who they expect.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I see what you did there but, no, Geno's not "Queen Latifah." In an ironic twist of fate, Geno currently has the most confidence aside from my theory character which is honestly wild since this time last year it was such an effort to keep the Geno fanbase from falling completely apart.
Okay but we need fanart of some of the speculated characters as Queen Latifah now

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doesn’t Nintendo own monolith soft now though? Isn’t kosmos technically now nintendo’s anyway?

If we’re going with someone that would belong to namco 100%, I feel like Klonoa would be it.

Idk much about the character or how popular he is, just pointing out that imo, if it isn’t Heihachi or Lloyd, he’s the only one I can possibly see next. Unless KOS-MOS, at least a former version of her, is owned still by namco...but even then, she’s more popular so if what we know about the 5th character is that they’re not quite on most folks radar, she doesn’t fit that description.
Namco still owns the rights to KOS-MOS as a character though. Her Xenoblade 2 artwork has the Bandai Namco copyright on it, and she’s counted as a Namco character for the Project X Zone games. Her likeness has also had cameos in other Namco series like the Soul Calibur and Tales Of games (as costumes).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

No, Namco still owns KOS-MOS.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah it’s dark Souls
I get "quiet" because I've told people repeatedly that I don't answer super specific questions about characters, companies, or franchises. It's actually Mr. Smithers from the Simpsons! Nintendo Ninjas, do your worst...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom