• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To those that doubted me when I said that Nintendo would be stupid to not keep churning out Smash DLC, I say only this:

$661 MILLION
Yeah with that kind of sales I would say it's a safe bet to say we'll be getting a Season 2 if not multiple seasons like how Tekken 7 has multiple seasons of DLC. That kind of sales is just too good not to try and continue off of.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If we can get Geno and Hero in the DLC, I think it's not too crazy to guess we can get a sleeper Namco rep and Lloyd
The point isn't that 5 and 7 can't both be bamco reps but that it doesn't make sense for 5 to be a bamco rep if the bamco costumes are being held back for Lloyd's release as 7.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
To those that doubted me when I said that Nintendo would be stupid to not keep churning out Smash DLC, I say only this:

$661 MILLION
That's not just Smash though, they only say that Smash counts for a significant amount of that revenue. I'm willing to bet that mobile games like FEH, DL, Pokemon Masters, AC, and Mario Kart are also a significant chunk of that money. On top of just general sales through the Eshop.

That said, yes, the fighter's pass has been really successful and it is likely we'll get another fighter's pass rather than standalone releases.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I have nightmares that Geno’s Mii Costume was saved so that it can just be included in some other square character’s pack like 2B or Lara :(

D

Deleted member

The point isn't that 5 and 7 can't both be bamco reps but that it doesn't make sense for 5 to be a bamco rep if the bamco costumes are being held back for Lloyd's release as 7.
Man, Geno and Lloyd being announced in the same release cycle would feel like the hopes I had during Brawl's release being realized. I might not want Lloyd anymore, but a part of me is happy that 17 year old me would be ecstatic. I'm glad this could happen in a game like Ultimate where the mechanics are top notch and the competitive scene is ever growing.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I have nightmares that Geno’s Mii Costume was saved so that it can just be included in some other square character’s pack like 2B or Lara :(
That makes very little sense, honestly. Like what motive would you have behind that besides messing with one particular character's fandom?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Wait...he's a spirit?

I did not know this.
Wait, Travis isn’t a Spirit, though? Or do you mean something else?
Travis isn't a spirit IIRC
Hold on.

I think what he means is

Daemon X Machina is owned by Marvelous, not Nintendo. Marvelous also owns No More Heroes. And a third party getting a Spirit or Mii Costumes before a playable character doesn’t bode well for a character from said company.

and we do have Daemon X Machina Spirits...

that what you meant Grumbo?
I think this is a mistake on my part. For some reason I clearly remember getting a spirit of Travis with his beam sword but I guess I’m misremembering

RingJ5

Smash Ace
That raises a good point, though of the costumes we have left, I’d argue that either Dark Souls or Agumon could fit together with the Monster Hunter costumes, or they could just do what they did with Banjo and make a random smorgasbord wave.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I mean it's totally possible that character 5 is a Bamco rep like KOS-MOS and she comes with the Heihachi and Gil costumes; and character 7 is Lloyd/Yuri with Tales of characters as costumes. If Square-Enix can hold back costumes for Geno's release so can Bamco.

Besides other than T-Elos, and Shion; Xenosaga doesn't have many notable designs for costumes, they could easily put in Heihachi and Gil as placeholders.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
If Bamco rep is coming, and Lloyd's Mii Costume doesn't show up with him, then I think Lloyd will likely follow
exactly. I'm expecting to see the hypothetical lloyd and gil costumes silently removed from their scheduled release with 5 and replaced with 2 of the 4 capcom costumes they have in the works. Then we have geno with himself and chocobo, Lloyd with heihachi, gil, and maybe himself, and a capcom rep with the remaining 2 of those.

Plank08

Smash Lord
So lets say this back special idea terry brought is testing for a new addition they might add for smash 6. What would you all make geno's new moveset with 5 slots to fill? I'm a beam/boost/whirl/cannon guy at heart so I think I might move geno blast to back and make flash the new super, so

neutral b geno beam
foreward b geno whirl
down b geno boost
back b geno blast
up b the cannon move from lxp
idk I feel That Back specials can stay with terry

Also Ultimate DLC made 661 MILLION?!?!? OH YOU BET THERES GONNA BE MORE CHARACTERS
I wonder which character sold the best though, probably Hero in Japan or Banjo

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I mean it's totally possible that character 5 is a Bamco rep like KOS-MOS and she comes with the Heihachi and Gil costumes; and character 7 is Lloyd/Yuri with Tales of characters as costumes. If Square-Enix can hold back costumes for Geno's release so can Bamco.

Besides other than T-Elos, and Shion; Xenosaga doesn't have many notable designs for costumes, they could easily put in Heihachi and Gil as placeholders.
Well I'm running under assumption the 6 theory is correct, in which case fighter 5 is coming with 4 of their own series costumes. Insider opinion on her aside if the choices are as spare as you say I really just don't see that having been the original plan.

Firox

Smash Master
That's not just Smash though, they only say that Smash counts for a significant amount of that revenue. I'm willing to bet that mobile games like FEH, DL, Pokemon Masters, AC, and Mario Kart are also a significant chunk of that money. On top of just general sales through the Eshop.

That said, yes, the fighter's pass has been really successful and it is likely we'll get another fighter's pass rather than standalone releases.
I mean, to specifically call out Smash DLC as a major contributor, that's a pretty big deal. Just look at the math:

If you've got an install base of say 14,000,000 (actual is higher) and sell even 25% of said base on a $25 fighters pass (assuming that people don't buy the characters individually for another $5 on top of the $25), that's a cold $87.5 million, baby. Now do it again. And again. That's $262.5 million ON TOP of the already $840 million you got just from the install base, and again, we're assuming that only 25% of the install base buys which I bet is quite a bit higher than that. And all this for what? 5? 10? 15 characters out of a roster of already 80+?! The profit ratio is insane no matter how you slice it. And fine by me. Swim in that money Tendo. Do a "McScrooge" through your swimming pool of gold coins as long as you keep those fighters coming. As long as I get Geno, I'll be happy to contribute.

Plank08

Smash Lord
:ultpiranha: accounts for 600 million alone.
I believe it :ultkrool:
Also side note I feel :ultkrool: should be the new sarcastic Button, it works so well
If Crash Bandicoot or Minecraft Steve got in the game they would probably make 100 million alone from all the little kids turning on their switches to see the notification that they are in the game and wanting to play as them

RingJ5

Smash Ace
exactly. I'm expecting to see the hypothetical lloyd and gil costumes silently removed from their scheduled release with 5 and replaced with 2 of the 4 capcom costumes they have in the works. Then we have geno with himself and chocobo, Lloyd with heihachi, gil, and maybe himself, and a capcom rep with the remaining 2 of those.
Hah, I literally replied to you with that exact scenario as you were writing that, but with Bamco as #5.

My current prediction is basically:

#5: Dark Souls or Agumon, with MH Costumes

Then, there’s a fork in the road. If Mii Costume Leak is real:

#6: Slayer, with Mega Man costumes
#7: Geno, with Chocobo Hat and nothing else because Square
#8: Lloyd, with Heihachi and Gil costumes

If Mii Costume Leak is fake:

#6: Geno, with Chocobo Hat and nothing else because Square
#7: Lloyd, with Heihachi and Gil costumes
#8: Phoenix, with Mega Man costumes

Anything past #8, no idea.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
idk I feel That Back specials can stay with terry

Also Ultimate DLC made 661 MILLION?!?!? OH YOU BET THERES GONNA BE MORE CHARACTERS
I wonder which character sold the best though, probably Hero in Japan or Banjo
It didn't make $661 million dollars, that's how much Nintendo made through digital products and they say that the Smash Bros DLC help contribute most of it. Regardless DLC is making money and there's a good chance that a lot of it came from the Fighters Pass when people didn't know who the characters were, which should be a good sign since it shows that anyone can sell really great.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
When it comes to Slot No. 5: I honestly see that as being the Bamco Rep, if we want to take the basis of entirely new franchises meaning that spirits represented in Smash already are disqualified from Fighter Pack 1. The type of fighter I'd personally see as having the best chance could be Heihachi (Tekken), a Soul Calibur rep that isn't Ivy Valentine (almost certainly a character who has appeared in Soul Calibur 2), or Lloyd Irving. As for the Spirit Promotion kind of stuff I've been hearing about, I am still holding out for Shantae, but obviously she has the likes of Rex/Pyra and Geno to contend with. No offense to all of you Geno men, I'm just stating the truth that Geno has more behind him than my personal pick does at the moment.

All I can say is that we'll see in due time who'll come in, and good luck and good hunting, as per the usual farewells I say on this forum.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So if the 5th DLC is a bummer, that means that he's revealed in November, which means that doomguy could potentially revealed as the 1st DLC at the VGA

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I mean, to specifically call out Smash DLC as a major contributor, that's a pretty big deal. Just look at the math:

If you've got an install base of say 14,000,000 (actual is higher) and sell even 25% of said base on a $25 fighters pass (assuming that people don't buy the characters individually for another $5 on top of the $25), that's a cold $87.5 million, baby. Now do it again. And again. That's $262.5 million ON TOP of the already $840 million you got just from the install base, and again, we're assuming that only 25% of the install base buys which I bet is quite a bit higher than that. And all this for what? 5? 10? 15 characters out of a roster of already 80+?! The profit ratio is insane no matter how you slice it. And fine by me. Swim in that money Tendo. Do a "McScrooge" through your swimming pool of gold coins as long as you keep those fighters coming. As long as I get Geno, I'll be happy to contribute.
As much as I hate capitalism, Nintendo is one of the few companies out there that actually deserves its wealth given that it actually gives a **** about the art-form it creates products for. No other company would ever create an IP that would challenge the idea of the monopolization of copyrights for characters, stories and IPs like Smash does.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Alright Genoids I decided to tally up the votes from the assist poll the other day for fun so here's what happened.

The date is December 15th, 2020.

Nintendo is holding a smash direct mini to discuss the new season 3 fighter's pass they announces a few months ago and the results of the "helper to hero" smash ballot from around the same time.

The stream card blacks out, it fades in to Sakurai sitting at his desk. The subtitles turn on and the NoA translator begins " I'm pleased to announced that the results from our recent ballot campaign, while we want to deliver content that you will enjoy please understand that we can only offer so many new fighters and not everyone will be able to make it to the battle. So we have tried to make as many of you as happy as we can by letting YOU decide who you want to join the fray. Without further adieu, here are your new fighters for super smash bros ultimate fighter's pass 3!"

The screen cuts to a a single mega trailer where all 5 are shown in sequence in one extended scenario.

Here is what you the players decided. Enjoy

1573503652694.png

While i think this is a decent estimate I would like to see what the results would be from a bigger advertised effort like with what the 3 discord groups did. Compiling poll data is really fun. I might actually write out the trailer scenario for that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Homer Simpson is fighter #5 Springfield as a stage where you pass through the Sinpsons house, The Power plant, and Krusty the Clown's show. He can punch, kick, drink beer and power up to attack. Marge, Bart, and Lisa and Mr. Smithers, and Itchy and Scratchy will be Mii costumes.

Makes sense.

They have games as well why not.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Alright Genoids I decided to tally up the votes from the assist poll the other day for fun so here's what happened.

Nintendo is holding a smash direct mini to discuss the new season 3 fighter's pass they announces a few months ago and the results of the "helper to hero" smash ballot from around the same time.

The stream card blacks out, it fades in to Sakurai sitting at his desk. The subtitles turn on and the NoA translator begins " I'm pleased to announced that the results from our recent ballot campaign, while we want to deliver content that you will enjoy please understand that we can only offer so many new fighters and not everyone will be able to make it to the battle. So we have tried to make as many of you as happy as we can by letting YOU decide who you want to join the fray. Without further adieu, here are your new fighters for super smash bros ultimate fighter's pass 3!"

The screen cuts to a a single mega trailer where all 5 are shown in sequence in one extended scenario.

While i think this is a decent estimate I would like to see what the results would be from a bigger advertised effort like with what the 3 discord groups did. Compiling poll data is really fun.
Honestly, I am surprised Shadow is pushed more than Tails or Eggman. Just seem more iconic/ more potential moveset wise.

Plank08

Smash Lord

I just want skull kid in the game, that would be awesome. This DLC so far is looking really good for me, with potential for Dark Souls, Doom, Crash, and of course Geno, I really hope that Skull Kid or Paper Mario get in as Nintendo reps
Fixed it finally

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

While i think this is a decent estimate I would like to see what the results would be from a bigger advertised effort like with what the 3 discord groups did. Compiling poll data is really fun.
Isaac, Shadow and Bomberman? I approve this message.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I’d buy this twice if I could

D

Deleted member

While i think this is a decent estimate I would like to see what the results would be from a bigger advertised effort like with what the 3 discord groups did. Compiling poll data is really fun. I might actually write out the trailer scenario for that.
Perfect just perfect all great Waluigi finally, Isaac, yes please, Shadow I'm in. Bomberman yep. Skull Kid yeah definetly. Great fighters pass. Perfect.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
In case anyone's curious I didn't put them in any particular order in the graphic but the ranking was

1. Isaac (had most of the votes)
2. Waluigi(about 2/3rds of Isaacs)
3. Skull Kid
4. Bomberman
5. Shadow

fun fact ray actually just barely squeaked by shadow with the positions weighted but since shadow had almost double his votes I just flipped them to be fair to what a larger audience would likely have chosen. A good example of why sample size is important.

I would love 4 of these and even if I don't care about shadow (though inducting both the 4th and 5th grincher would be a sight to behold) if I could even just get Isaac then I'd buy a goddamn tamagochi if I had too.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I wouldn't worry. Lara, while significant to video games as a whole, isn't the most hotly demanded character, even compared to Terry or Joker. And as for 2B, if Mei wasn't allowed in because of her outfit, I don't think 2B would be allowed in either. Seriously, can you imagine what they'd have to change to make her work? It wouldn't be worth it, really.

Not bad.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
You know I think once geno actually makes it in and the spirit theory is officially removed from discussion for regular dlc, I'll relaunch this as it's own thread or maybe something bigger. Maybe get in contact with the assist alliance people.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

$661 MILLION
Honestly, for me, I don't need Smash 6: Kerfuffle. I don't need a brand new Smash entry. What else can you do with it? 4 and Ultimate are graphically similar and look fine. The premise is your favorite characters going at it. What is the next possible leap for Smash? There's already rumblings that the cast will be revamped. We won't be seeing 80+ characters in one game again.

So instead of pushing the team into the next game and redoing so many characters again, some for the 6th time, just support Ultimate for the Switch's life? Ultimate came out early enough in the Switch's life. Just keep adding to it.

They may not get these character licenses again for the next game, but they have them NOW. They don't need to renegotiate Cloud or Snake or Sonic each time more DLC is added. Why not invest in just adding more characters? Ultimate DLC printed money. There's no character quota to meet. It has to be less strenuous work to focus on a fraction of the game through added DLC than starting from new with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom