• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The reason they never bought Super Mario RPG and it's original characters is simple. This is a company that was apparently shocked by the response to Banjo and Kazooie.

Nintendo sometimes fails to see what's right in front of it's face. Sometimes they just need a glaring example of the desire of their fans to see old concepts bought to the light of modern day.

I'm still shocked as a company that they don't capitalize on this concept that Smash brings forth more and more. The only franchise to profit off Smash success is Fire Emblem.

But Nintendo could have lots of power house IPs if they noticed the love for characters like Ice Climbers, Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Earthbound, Duck Hunt, etc that Smash has brought forth.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Are we sure about this?
And if you look at the post I tagged, it was dated around November 2018. I believe there is a reason Sabi stated it that way...
NOT TO BLOW HER GUYS COVER. Especially going off of Fatman's info stating his supervisor mentioned Geno as a possible DLC character. Let's chill gang and wait to see what happens. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just a question, why do you guys think Nintendo never bothered to buy the full rights to Super Mario RPG and its characters?

They didn't have that much of an issue in buying the full rights to the Donkey Kong franchise from Rare, so considering that Mario is arguably their 1# franchise, why don't they just do the fans a favor? I can't see Square Enix putting that much of a big price for characters that they don't use for anything like Geno and Mallow. Yet again, I keep hearing that Square is a company that's hard to deal with, is that really the reason??
Considering they were already starting SMRPG:2, I think they were taken by surprise regarding the SE fall out. At that point, it probably wasn't worth negotiating any properties with them and they just continued on.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just a question, why do you guys think Nintendo never bothered to buy the full rights to Super Mario RPG and its characters?

They didn't have that much of an issue in buying the full rights to the Donkey Kong franchise from Rare, so considering that Mario is arguably their 1# franchise, why don't they just do the fans a favor? I can't see Square Enix putting that much of a big price for characters that they don't use for anything like Geno and Mallow. Yet again, I keep hearing that Square is a company that's hard to deal with, is that really the reason??
The reason why Nintendo bought the full rights to Donkey Kong was because Microsoft was trying to get their hands on the Donkey Kong IP and they could do that through Rare. Nintendo pretty much had to buy all the characters that were from the Donkey Kong franchise to prevent that from happening. Banjo & Kazooie and Conker were properties of Nintendo during the time Rare was still with them and when Rare left, Nintendo gave the two back as a sort of courtesy. Kind of wish they didn't give back Banjo & Kazooie though...

Squaresoft however didn't have the full rights to the Super Mario franchise so there wasn't a dire need to buy the rights. It's nothing to do with wanting the fans to be happy, it was just taking back what Nintendo rightfully owned.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I was here when Sabi shared the information. Multiple people have said this.

I'm sorry man, but you beg and beg for Fatmanonice to share information, and he does, and clarifies things and yet you still do this ****. You are genuinely getting obnoxious at this point.
i agree

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
Hello. How we all doin? Better? Anything new besides the lame pokemon sw/sh trailer? Are we still clinging to this starling? I don't really know how to feel about it anymore, but I'm waiting patiently nonetheless.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I was here when Sabi shared the information. Multiple people have said this.

I'm sorry man, but you beg and beg for Fatmanonice to share information, and he does, and clarifies things and yet you still do this ****. You are genuinely getting obnoxious at this point.
Yo chill out, i’m not begging him for anything. He has every right to share what he wants to. When I ask questions on this thread, it’s open to anyone to answer, i’m not just aiming at him the entire time

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yo chill out, i’m not begging him for anything. He has every right to share what he wants to. When I ask questions on this thread, it’s open to anyone to answer, i’m not just aiming at him the entire time
You are begging though. You're fishing for some magical definitive answer to something that literally no one except for Sabi's source has the answer to. You keep bringing up the same things and people clarify. The issue is that you question the clarifications to an absurd degree and try to make it out to be some conspiracy and you try to poke holes in the information people here are spoonfeeding you. Can you see how that would wear on people after awhile?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hello. How we all doin? Better? Anything new besides the lame pokemon sw/sh trailer? Are we still clinging to this starling? I don't really know how to feel about it anymore, but I'm waiting patiently nonetheless.
Quite frankly, the same after the Hero presentation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And Krystal. She was in the top 10 in the Brawl poll I believe. Everyone else excluding her and Geno in the top 10 in that poll are already in.
Yup. Although she has an even bigger obstacle to go through, since there's no inclination to add new Star Fox characters since Brawl (and SF itself has been suffering for years), so her fans will have to double their efforts.

Totally random thought, but does anyone else find it kinda funny that SMRPG ripped off the Disneyland Light Parade at the end? I mean, they almost had it down to the music too. Ahh, those were the days. Before the Empire. Before Disney copyright litigation.
Yeah, not even the soundbites of Ed from the Lion King can be used for Ripper Roo in Crash Bandicoot anymore. At least his VA does an admirable job.

Also, poor Luigi only got to lead the parade in SMRPG, so sad.

Yes. It's been a long time since I've talked about it. I know a lot of you are new so I'll repeat the story:

Basically Geno had supposedly been a rumor around NoA since last August/September. After the November Direct, the Source™ was pretty bummed that his most wanted disconfirmed but a supervisor pulled him aside and told him that "Geno was probably coming." Again, kind of vague because we don't know in what context and it honestly feels like a coin toss but leaning slightly on the positive.

Something you all have to realize is that, like Slender said, the guy's got his own network and he's implied that a lot of his info comes from senior co-workers and supervisors he's friends with. I feel like this is a big reason why his track record is pristine. He gets his information from people deeper in the company than him and is able to use his network to fact check. Like we've been saying, he only shares stuff with us that's all but confirmed. When I cracked and shared the starling, he hadn't done his full round of fact checking yet but since then he has and it now checks out as an honest to God hint about something.

Also, one thing I'll say is don't fall into the same trap that I did. A big reason I discarded Hero was because the Intel was "old" because this was ultimately the reason why the Gematsu leak with Smash 4 collapsed on itself. It hasn't even been a full month so I'm super incredulous when people totally discard it for being "old." Hero took 10 months to pan out, just sayin'. Hell, Ridley took a month and a half and Simon was almost three. You all have to be patient.
Even I had eventually stopped believing Hero was in, although me supporting him was basically grounds for lynching anyway. Luckily I was proven wrong, so lightning could strike twice here. Gotta keep an open mind for any possibility.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
A non-DQ Mii costume was never going to be shown alongside the DQ fighter pack. The DQ series was not going to share the limelight with any other franchise during its content promotion.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A non-DQ Mii costume was never going to be shown alongside the DQ fighter pack. The DQ series was not going to share the limelight with any other franchise during its content promotion.
Yet Persona 5 had the Tails and Knuckles Mii Fighter costumes return.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else that I want to say is that the Source ™ only shares things with us that have a extremely high probability of being true and he actually went into detail about the this the other day. He told us that he does get sent a lot of crap too but it's easily fact checked away. Sometimes it's just employees being dumb with each other and sometimes it's Nintendo trying to leakbait the extra stupid employees. You know those "leaks" where Walmart or Target will put out fake game listings that haven't been announced yet? That's where a lot of those come from: gullible employees who are hoping for some kickback from big retailers by leaking big games to them because being the first to know about things in retail is a huge deal. Of course, I can't share these fake leaks he's shared because, like landmines, they can stay active even after their intended purpose.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Something else that I want to say is that the Source ™ only shares things with us that have a extremely high probability of being true and he actually went into detail about the this the other day. He told us that he does get sent a lot of crap too but it's easily fact checked away. Sometimes it's just employees being dumb with each other and sometimes it's Nintendo trying to leakbait the extra stupid employees. You know those "leaks" where Walmart or Target will put out fake game listings that haven't been announced yet? That's where a lot of those come from: gullible employees who are hoping for some kickback from big retailers by leaking big games to them because being the first to know about things in retail is a huge deal. Of course, I can't share these fake leaks he's shared because, like landmines, they can stay active even after their intended purpose.
I can believe that. There was a lot of hype for the rumored Switch port for Persona 5, and there was a backlash when it turned out to be Dynasty Warriors with a Persona 5 skin.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Yet Persona 5 had the Tails and Knuckles Mii Fighter costumes return.
Persona 5 is not Dragon Quest. Even during the Hero-specific direct Sakurai himself verbally promoted the upcoming DQ game multiple times.

I brought it up because a lot of people still feel like Geno dodged a bullet by not being revealed as a Mii costume during the Hero fighter pack, but that's just not how I personally see it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I think the reason they didn't have any issue buying back the rights for the Donkey Kong series is because they already owned copyright over the Donkey Kong series. :dkmelee:
Granted, that's an easy mistake to make; some folks at Microsoft were under the same impression at the time, given Rare's almost sole work on the Donkey Kong IP.
As for SMRPG, It'd probably be considered much more trouble than it's worth. Think about it, not only would them buying the IP rights be pricey, regardless of how underutilized they are, but then they'd have to actually make a game to use those IPs, so not only would they be spending potentially millions (I don't actually know how much IPs cost) to get the rights to use Geno for instance, but then they're also making a new game with which to use them. It would take much fewer dollars to just use an IP they already own rather than buy someone else's, what would be the benefit? And then there's the factor of the game itself, which would need to sell incredibly well to justify their purchasing of the IP. And sure, Smash has sold incredibly well, but buying the rights for one character, even if it's for a game as big as Smash, is still an incredible waste of money. It's probably a lot easier to just ask for permission to use the IP for each unique instance rather than pay for the IP wholesale.
I, for one, kind of wish that we could easily find out how much IPs cost. Then, if we want a certain company to have them (Nintendo, for instance), we could just crowdfund the money so that they can have them, should money be the reason they otherwise wouldn't purchase the IP off of the other company.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm still shocked as a company that they don't capitalize on this concept that Smash brings forth more and more. The only franchise to profit off Smash success is Fire Emblem.
Not true entirely. Kid Icarus benefitted from it too. Dark Pit wouldn't even exist if it hadn't.

Also, cool update! The list of characters for the two-part discussion episode have been decided on! The first episode will be about possible heroes and the second episode will discuss villains! Note this though: some characters are not on the list, as I felt they deserved honorable mention slots in the video itself due to different circumstances. You can probably guess who some of them are. They may surprise you...

Anyway, it's time I get to work on the art for the discussion videos!

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Huh. The fact that big retailers come out with listings for things that never wind up existing now makes a lot more sense.

Attachments

Firox

Smash Master
The reason they never bought Super Mario RPG and it's original characters is simple. This is a company that was apparently shocked by the response to Banjo and Kazooie.

Nintendo sometimes fails to see what's right in front of it's face. Sometimes they just need a glaring example of the desire of their fans to see old concepts bought to the light of modern day.

But Nintendo could have lots of power house IPs if they noticed the love for characters like Ice Climbers, Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Earthbound, Duck Hunt, etc that Smash has brought forth.
I agree that Fire Emblem has profited the most from Smash, but I also think the Kid Icarus franchise could have undergone a similar renaissance. Uprising was an absolute masterpiece and I honestly think Nintendo/Sakurai would be stupid to just leave the franchise at that. I mean, we could be looking at another powerhouse IP if they played their cards right. They were able to successfully blend the rail shooter genre of traditional Star Fox with ground-based hack and slash. Combine that with a great story, characters and voice acting, I think they could really do a lot with it. Sometimes it frustrates me how Nintendo seems to think that its only potential blockbusters are Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Granted, those three have historically proven to be a safe bet, but I feel that some serious elbow grease with some of the lesser IPs could pay off if they'd be willing.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
God I hate Twitter.

EDIT: While honest, I just realized where I posted this and how off-topic is was. My bad.

I still need more SMRPG art for anyone who wants to share theirs!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The trick is to just follow artists.
I just wish the trending stuff that is always on the side wasn't so controversial or pointless. It seems like Twitter has no inbetween.

Speaking of artists, are you an artist? I follow Ovaltine Ovaltine but idk any other SMRPG artists.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just wish the trending stuff that is always on the side wasn't so controversial or pointless. It seems like Twitter has no inbetween.

Speaking of artists, are you an artist? I follow Ovaltine Ovaltine but idk any other SMRPG artists.
I don't bother with the trending stuff. All I care about is art and ****posting on Twitter, really. :yoshi:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

I'm using Tweetdeck because of how clear and customizable the layout is. It also lets you disable the trending part so I can gently ignore all the politics and controversies like a real adult :drflip:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Anyone else think that Geno is more likely to be revealed as a final DLC candidate? Save him as the big finale? Given this threads ravenous hunger for Geno I think it's healthy to wait for the final hour (and then, obviously, riot).

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anyone else think that Geno is more likely to be revealed as a final DLC candidate? Save him as the big finale? Given this threads ravenous hunger for Geno I think it's healthy to wait for the final hour (and then, obviously, riot).
If it weren't for the starling pic potentially being a hint to Geno and the source saying something is coming soon, I would probably think the same thing

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
They don't really seem to understand how big finales work unfortunately

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Persona 5 is not Dragon Quest. Even during the Hero-specific direct Sakurai himself verbally promoted the upcoming DQ game multiple times.

I brought it up because a lot of people still feel like Geno dodged a bullet by not being revealed as a Mii costume during the Hero fighter pack, but that's just not how I personally see it.
So what are the chances that we'll get a FF character coming with Geno's costume? I refuse to believe that the SE costumes would be taken out of base game only to do jacksquat with them.

They don't really seem to understand how big finales work unfortunately
It's like people refuses to learn. Sakurai ALWAYS ends every character release pattern of some sort with a low-priority experimental character. And depending on how this DLC period goes, it may happen two more other times. If they really want a big finish so much, they should just watch speculation for DBFZ, Blazblue, BBTAG, Tekken or something, instead.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Eh the only way 5 ends up being the big finish if it's in the same presentation as 4 like e3. N's track record is not great right now.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
The cynical side of me doesn't expect him to be last because the last is always disappointing. At least in my experience.

link2702

Smash Champion
A little late to the topic but....

Nintendo technically had all rights to dk to begin with. Donkey Kong was always a nintendo ip from the beginning. Microsoft could not use dk at all without Nintendo’s permission.

Also iirc, Nintendo had already had a deal where anything created specifically for the dk universe was by default Nintendo owned, so no matter what they still owned it. Rare left only with the original ip’s they created.

Now even if Nintendo didn’t have this deal in place, all rare would have been able to keep would be the kremlins, and anything original that was not related to the kongs(so dixie, diddy, funky, etc, were still Nintendo’s )

So basically no matter how you look at it, rare and Microsoft would not have any chance of using donkey Kong without Nintendo’s permission.

Square was a bit different, I simply think Nintendo didn’t care enough about the original content of smrpg that square developed to bother buying it...OR square and Nintendo had already agreed before even starting the project that any original content from square belonged to them after smrpg’s completion. Also remember that square was still a 3rd party, but rare was a Nintendo owned 2nd party prior to being sold to Microsoft, so square definitely had more leverage in their negotiations for smrpg.

TL;DR, even if rare had still kept ownership of the original content they created for the dk franchise, they could never use donkey Kong himself, or any characters implied to be directly related to him for Microsoft.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
If it weren't for the starling pic potentially being a hint to Geno and the source saying something is coming soon, I would probably think the same thing
When did Sabi's source say info was soon? Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm still trying to get a handle on this starling business

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
When did Sabi's source say info was soon? Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm still trying to get a handle on this starling business
Yeah i'm also curious to know where this came from.

I mean, aside from the fact that the Source (TM) hints at things a week or two in advance. I haven't heard of this panning out "soon" from Fatman, Sabi, or anyone else.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo share the fan's concept of character reveals needing to "one-up" each other, or "saving the best for last." Obviously they follow online discussion and feedback enough to know that characters like Ridley and Banjo would be a hit, but at the end of the day all of Smash's newcomers are special and created with the expectation that people are going to be excited for them and that they will reach their intended audience. Nintendo doesn't put them on a pedestal and debate over which one is more "hype" the way fans do.
I don't believe they did. People just expected it to be "soon" because there's usually not that much time between when this source teases something and its reveal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Does anyone here know about any SMRPG artists on various social media? I'm slowly but surely getting off FB and using just Messenger and I'm not really on Tumblr, but I have no problem finding and asking people for permission...I just need to find them.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Yeah i'm also curious to know where this came from.

I mean, aside from the fact that the Source (TM) hints at things a week or two in advance. I haven't heard of this panning out "soon" from Fatman, Sabi, or anyone else.
Completely unrelated, but who made your profile picture? It's so cute I love Sami-

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Completely unrelated, but who made your profile picture? It's so cute I love Sami-
Oh this is actual concept art created by Ryo Hirata (the guy who did the artwork for Advance Wars). He did a bunch of these actually which you can check out on his Twitter profile.

Also great to see a lot of Advance Wars fans around here! Swing by the Andy/Sami threads when you have the chance!

EDIT: Crap I thought you meant my sig lol. My profile pic was done by some guy on Twitter I need to check lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom