• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
@Loopyyylupe on twitter does a lot of SMRPG art including an amazing comic pretty recently. She also had a SMRPG comic series on her deviantart iirc

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
@Loopyyylupe on twitter does a lot of SMRPG art including an amazing comic pretty recently. She also had a SMRPG comic series on her deviantart iirc
Oh right, Ovaltine Ovaltine showed me that. Do you think she would be okay with me showcasing her art?

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo share the fan's concept of character reveals needing to "one-up" each other, or "saving the best for last." Obviously they follow online discussion and feedback enough to know that characters like Ridley and Banjo would be a hit, but at the end of the day all of Smash's newcomers are special and created with the expectation that people are going to be excited for them and that they will reach their intended audience. Nintendo doesn't put them on a pedestal and debate over which one is more "hype" the way fans do.
There ya go, hit the nail on the head. Every remotely noteworthy character out there has at least one person hoping that they'll be picked, whether they're exciting or not depends on the individual person. Even the Duck Hunt dog had a few supporters before he got revealed. Wii Fit Trainer pretty much just had ONE fan before reveal, if memory serves right.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Maybe I should stop by the Andy/Sami thread. I feel like those fans are more neglected than we are in a way. I guess at least there's Wargroove and Tiny Metal trying to be the new face of Advance Wars-like games but I know that's not the same. Most of the threads for characters I actually really want are negative or not very active anyway especially the Undertale thread and though I'm not attached to Advance Wars I certainly empathize with those fans.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe I should stop by the Andy/Sami thread. I feel like those fans are more neglected than we are in a way. I guess at least there's Wargroove and Tiny Metal trying to be the new face of Advance Wars-like games but I know that's not the same. Most of the threads for characters I actually really want are negative or not very active anyway especially the Undertale thread and though I'm not attached to Advance Wars I certainly empathize with those fans.
It could be worse, at least they're not Bonk and Higgins fans. The threads for those two might as well be ghost towns.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Game Boy Advance games have gotten the raw deal in Smash. AT at best, when the likes of Andy and Isaac deserve to be playable.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I feel like Game Boy Advance games have gotten the raw deal in Smash. AT at best, when the likes of Andy and Isaac deserve to be playable.
Things do look pretty rough but I feel Andy has a small chance for DLC. Mentioned my rationale in this thread and other places but with the Infantry & Tanks AT gone and no Mii Costume for the series, I feel something is really up. Of course, lots of things would have to come in to play for it to pan out but I have some hope.

But yeah. all you guys should stop by the Andy thread sometime. We could really use the activity lol.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
So what are the chances that we'll get a FF character coming with Geno's costume? I refuse to believe that the SE costumes would be taken out of base game only to do jacksquat with them.
In my mind it’s more likely that a FF costume comes along with a Geno character :D

The Mii costumes are kind of a mystery to me. I have no idea how well they sell. If only a small number of people bought the chocobo one, I could see them not bothering to bring it back. I would say I could see them doing some independent costume and stage releases after the fighter’s pass is over, like in Smash4, but it seems more like they’re really tying everything together into each fighter pack. The one reason I think they might release some FF costumes with Geno is that there’s the actual FF cameo in SMRPG. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they release Geno and there’s no FF costumes at all.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Isaac’s been an AT twice, left out of Sm4sh, and then brought back as an AT for Ultimate, I just wanted to see him playable for once. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

The GBA really has been screwed over in terms of representation we really only have Roy/Lucas and that's about it with one or two assist trophies and a couple dozen spirits. Isaac and Andy/Sami really should be playable or at least one of those three though of which I'd prefer Isaac if not Isaac and one of those two. Advance Wars and Golden Sun deserves more love.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The GBA really has been screwed over in terms of representation we really only have Roy/Lucas and that's about it with one or two assist trophies and a couple dozen spirits. Isaac and Andy/Sami really should be playable or at least one of those three though of which I'd prefer Isaac if not Isaac and one of those two. Advance Wars and Golden Sun deserves more love.
Even more so considering Roy technically debuted on the Gamecube and Zero Suit Samus made plenty of appearances before the GBA without her Power Suit. Lucas is technically the only character that really represents the GBA and his game was bound for the N64 originally. Not to mention his game wasn't released outside Japan.

Andy & Isaac would feel like the true representatives of the GBA era in Smash. Advance Wars & Golden Sun were the reasons to own a Gameboy Advance and both series are well regarded for their GBA installments.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now that I think about it, Despite Pokemon being one of the biggest gaming IPs there is and alwauys getting character in Smash on a silver platter, isn't the GBA the only system whose pokemon generation (3rd gen) didn't get a playable pokemon?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Now that I think about it, Despite Pokemon being one of the biggest gaming IPs there is and alwauys getting character in Smash on a silver platter, isn't the GBA the only system whose pokemon generation (3rd gen) didn't get a playable pokemon?
I will fight tooth and nail to get Gardevoir playable in Smash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I want Grovyle from PMD so bad to represent both PMD series and Gen 3rd I think he could become the only Pokémon fighter who uses items such as time gear and other things in PMD series to fight and brings some beautiful music from PMD series with him.
If I had 2nd a choice I would want it to be Deoxys because he is a shapeshifter fighter which could change its stats while fighting which would be a very interesting concept I think Shulk is the closest thing to him
There is also this ever thought how a playable Rayquaza will look like lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would almost say Isaac is to the GBA what Banjo & Kazooie are to the N64.

Even more so considering Roy technically debuted on the Gamecube and Zero Suit Samus made plenty of appearances before the GBA without her Power Suit. Lucas is technically the only character that really represents the GBA and his game was bound for the N64 originally. Not to mention his game wasn't released outside Japan.

Andy & Isaac would feel like the true representatives of the GBA era in Smash. Advance Wars & Golden Sun were the reasons to own a Gameboy Advance and both series are well regarded for their GBA installments.
Golden Sun was originally planned for the N64DD too just like Mother 3 was.

I want Grovyle from PMD so bad to represent both PMD series and Gen 3rd I think he could become the only Pokémon fighter who uses items such as time gear and other things in PMD series to fight and brings some beautiful music from PMD series with him.
If I had 2nd a choice I would want it to be Deoxys because he is a shapeshifter fighter which could change its stats while fighting which would be a very interesting concept I think Shulk is the closest thing to him
And people thought Ridley would have looked weird before he got in lol! Rayquaza would look so awkward as a fighter due to the length of his body.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Just look at that rayquaza shimmy around that stage

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Anyone else miss @Zack E. and AniGriffin? I would have tagged both but I can't get the other to come up.

I know they were Ninten/Mother first and Geno/SMRPG second and often turned the Geno thread into the Mother thread + Geno, but I still miss them.

I can't remember why they left, but I hope they come back if one of the other makes it in.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Would a Gen 3 trainer with Blaziken, Grovyle, and Mupkip be acceptable?
Honestly, I wish every Gen's rep was a trainer, as they are the actual protagonists. Greninja should have been Greninja, Braixen, and Chespin, and Incineroar should have been Incineroar, Brionne, and Rowlett.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Would a Gen 3 trainer with Blaziken, Grovyle, and Mupkip be acceptable?
Honestly, I wish every Gen's rep was a trainer, as they are the actual protagonists. Greninja should have been Greninja, Braixen, and Chespin, and Incineroar should have been Incineroar, Brionne, and Rowlett.
If Grovyle was represented that way I would be disappointed but as for other Pokemon I am ok with it

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
TBH I never liked Pokemon Trainer. He's kinda gimmicky. I'd much rather just have standalone Charizard like in Smash 4.
I second this. Although I do like Pokemon Trainer, I don't like that whenever you get knocked out, he'll change to the next one so you have cycling back to the pokemon you want. It kind of makes me wish we could play as them separately as well as together or do something similar to Shulk where you hold down the Down Special to choose the Pokemon you want.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I’m surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but no. Gen 5 has been similarly shafted, much to my chagrin.

EDIT: I guess if you’re talking about “consoles” of Pokémon generations, then yeah, there’s a DS Pokémon rep in Lucario. I just initially interpreted it as Pokémon generations in general.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I’m surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but no. Gen 5 has been similarly shafted, much to my chagrin.

EDIT: I guess if you’re talking about “consoles” of Pokémon generations, then yeah, there’s a DS Pokémon rep in Lucario. I just initially interpreted it as Pokémon generations in general.
yeah I was talking about consoles and just worded it weird I guess.

D

Deleted member

I am not sure if you guys know about this but yesterday smash crusade uploaded a new trailer and with a lot of characters resprite and also a FOREST MAZE STAGE!!!
I'm sad no one is talking about it in the comments of that video aside from one person.

MattX20

Smash Hero
When did Sabi's source say info was soon? Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm still trying to get a handle on this starling business
Yeah i'm also curious to know where this came from.

I mean, aside from the fact that the Source (TM) hints at things a week or two in advance. I haven't heard of this panning out "soon" from Fatman, Sabi, or anyone else.
Fatman basically said in the private Discord the day of the DQ heroes video went up that the source doubled down and said the starling picture was a hint and it was indeed coming soon. When he didn't say exactly, just soon.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Timing for trends is a real *****. Some inclusions are lucky to come in the wake of trends started in a previous gaming generation (e.g. Wii Fit Trainer), while some character opportunities ended up being screwed over badly (e.g. Lyn got skipped over entirely in favor of Ike in Brawl, and still is an AT to this day). Not to mention that there is only so much dev time to balance properly between recent characters/fan demands/curious oddities. Pokémon in particular faces the full brunt of this (Sinnoh barely got lucky, Hoenn got nothing at all).

At this stage, one must do hard support for characters from prior generations and keep praying.

tumblr_mfimbw1ee41qejtjzo1_400.gif

Fatman basically said in the private Discord the day of the DQ heroes video went up that the source doubled down and said the starling picture was a hint and it was indeed coming soon. When he didn't say exactly, just soon.
"Soon" is vague enough that it could mean anything from two weeks up to two months.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
There was suggestion that Plusle & Minum was going to be a character in Brawl ("Pra_Mai" filename resembles their names, Plusle and Minum is the only other special criteria Pokemon trophy in Brawl besides... Pichu and Mewtwo, previous playable characters) and that there was going to be a Rhythm Paradise character in Smash 4, which of course started on the GBA albeit only in Japan. (Gemetsu Leak, emblem data, a Smash Run enemy when every other enemy had to do with a fighter, the cut Ice Climbers fighter, or the Subspace Emissary) Sadly both got the short end of the stick, too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
An user on Twitter has speculated that the reason Rhythm Heaven can't get anyone playable is due to the staff being unable to contact Tsunku, the composer of the games. If so, then they can never get a proper chance to get the timing for a meeting with him right...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
An user on Twitter has speculated that the reason Rhythm Heaven can't get anyone playable is due to the staff being unable to contact Tsunku, the composer of the games. If so, then they can never get a proper chance to get the timing for a meeting with him right...
Isn’t there Rhythm Heaven music ingame, though? I think there was in Smash 4, though it may have been with an update like the Mario Paint Medley...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
We are still talking about PT 2.0? I have to remind everyone that Oshawott, Bayleef, Blaziken seems the most balanced as it not only allows for a similar architype of PT to work with, but it successfully represents all the missing Pokemon Generations fairly.

D

Deleted member

Anyone else miss @Zack E. and AniGriffin? I would have tagged both but I can't get the other to come up.

I know they were Ninten/Mother first and Geno/SMRPG second and often turned the Geno thread into the Mother thread + Geno, but I still miss them.

I can't remember why they left, but I hope they come back if one of the other makes it in.
I miss them too but I at least still talk with Zack on Discord fairly frequently. He's still a really good friend of mine. I hope Anigriffin is doing alright.

I am not sure if you guys know about this but yesterday smash crusade uploaded a new trailer and with a lot of characters resprite and also a FOREST MAZE STAGE!!!
I thought this was SSF2 and they accidentally leaked a Forest Maze stage and I was going to freak out. This still looks a lot better than the older sprites though I can definitely get used to this style if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate I can still play this at least. Hopefully they fix Geno's sprite.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, this just happened for Sora.

Guess who just won Guinness World Record?

Zack's mostly on Discord nowadays. Not that I blame him, this place isn't exactly brimming with activity since we won't get any news until next month at least.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Just the two. That's probably all they could afford to get.

Having a rhythm-based character must be as tricky as pulling off :ultridley:.
rhythem heaven is all about the music, yeah, but if you thought abut another character that could fill that void...
theres one character I know of from an obscure game about moving to the beat, yet has a significant slurry of moves that can be countable

im talking Phantom R from Rythem Thief!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
rhythem heaven is all about the music, yeah, but if you thought abut another character that could fill that void...
theres one character I know of from an obscure game about moving to the beat, yet has a significant slurry of moves that can be countable

im talking Phantom R from Rythem Thief!
There's the Elite Beat Agents, too. Specifically Agent J, who could easily have the Ouendan/Ryuta for alt purposes.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
There's the Elite Beat Agents, too. Specifically Agent J, who could easily have the Ouendan/Ryuta for alt purposes.
they would be good too!
my thinking for phantom r is that they've already got a character from sega so, it wouldn't be that hard to obtain phantom r , his moves are based on timed hits (just like a blue caped boi I know) due to the music in his game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Zack still talks to me on Discord sometimes and I want to say the reason Anigriffin hasn't been on is because 8chan got a hold of one of her (?) Ninten theories and hardcore dragged her for it. That being said, 9 to 1 it's a mental health break.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Zack still talks to me on Discord sometimes and I want to say the reason Anigriffin hasn't been on is because 8chan got a hold of one of her (?) Ninten theories and hardcore dragged her for it. That being said, 9 to 1 it's a mental health break.
****ing hell, people need to mind their own business. I'm telling you, I've been in a lot of awful fandoms, from Sonic to Undertale, and I don't think any of them hold a candle to how downright nasty, vitriolic, and down-putting the Smash fandom is. It really never used to be this way. What the hell happened?

Poor Ani, at any rate. I hope she'll be okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom