• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In fact, I don't think I ever saw a restock of Rosalina Smash amiibos.

On that note, every Ultimate amibo wave has had one amiibo that is stupidly rare, almost impossible: Inkling, Plant, Daisy and now Isabelle.
I've never seen a Rosalina Amiibo in person in my life. It must be one of the rarest Amiibos out there or something. I do remember her being a Target exclusive so that greatly explains that. But I don't remember if there was a 2nd print for her especially if it was outside of Target in the States.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Mariotehplumber selling 100 Rosalina Amiibos

Lmao! This guy is a total idiot.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yes. It's been a long time since I've talked about it. I know a lot of you are new so I'll repeat the story:

Basically Geno had supposedly been a rumor around NoA since last August/September. After the November Direct, the Source™ was pretty bummed that his most wanted disconfirmed but a supervisor pulled him aside and told him that "Geno was probably coming." Again, kind of vague because we don't know in what context and it honestly feels like a coin toss but leaning slightly on the positive.

Something you all have to realize is that, like Slender said, the guy's got his own network and he's implied that a lot of his info comes from senior co-workers and supervisors he's friends with. I feel like this is a big reason why his track record is pristine. He gets his information from people deeper in the company than him and is able to use his network to fact check. Like we've been saying, he only shares stuff with us that's all but confirmed. When I cracked and shared the starling, he hadn't done his full round of fact checking yet but since then he has and it now checks out as an honest to God hint about something.

Also, one thing I'll say is don't fall into the same trap that I did. A big reason I discarded Hero was because the Intel was "old" because this was ultimately the reason why the Gematsu leak with Smash 4 collapsed on itself. It hasn't even been a full month so I'm super incredulous when people totally discard it for being "old." Hero took 10 months to pan out, just sayin'. Hell, Ridley took a month and a half and Simon was almost three. You all have to be patient.
Yep, I'm waiting for the September direct to see if the comments of "soon" from Sabi's source turn out to be meant for that. If not, we've waited over a decade since Brawl at the least to see Geno potentially get in. A few more months won't hurt us

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yes. It's been a long time since I've talked about it. I know a lot of you are new so I'll repeat the story:

Basically Geno had supposedly been a rumor around NoA since last August/September. After the November Direct, the Source™ was pretty bummed that his most wanted disconfirmed but a supervisor pulled him aside and told him that "Geno was probably coming." Again, kind of vague because we don't know in what context and it honestly feels like a coin toss but leaning slightly on the positive.

Something you all have to realize is that, like Slender said, the guy's got his own network and he's implied that a lot of his info comes from senior co-workers and supervisors he's friends with. I feel like this is a big reason why his track record is pristine. He gets his information from people deeper in the company than him and is able to use his network to fact check. Like we've been saying, he only shares stuff with us that's all but confirmed. When I cracked and shared the starling, he hadn't done his full round of fact checking yet but since then he has and it now checks out as an honest to God hint about something.

Also, one thing I'll say is don't fall into the same trap that I did. A big reason I discarded Hero was because the Intel was "old" because this was ultimately the reason why the Gematsu leak with Smash 4 collapsed on itself. It hasn't even been a full month so I'm super incredulous when people totally discard it for being "old." Hero took 10 months to pan out, just sayin'. Hell, Ridley took a month and a half and Simon was almost three. You all have to be patient.
To be honest it seems like people read that the crab and bear hints ended up panning out within a couple of weeks with respect to there possibly being a reveal at EVO and are now taking it as an absolute fact that since the hints didn’t pan out within 2 weeks or less the starling leak has fallen apart and the source has gotten bad intel. Tbh it’s mostly newer people and people with gaps in information that don’t seem to have this helpful context so hopefully the paranoia about it will stop along with the accusations that it’s a hoax.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I struggle to see how Donkey Kong in 64 is a faithful representation of the character at all. The only thing I can identify as having been from a Donkey Kong game is the ground slap. They didn't even put in his roll until Smash 4. The same goes for Ness, who has exactly 0 of his actual attacks from Earthbound.

Mario had all sorts of interesting moves in his games, from two separate flight-inducing items in SMB3 and SMW to a litany of different attacks from the then recently-released SMRPG. Instead of making his Up B the cape or something like that, they made it another jump. Instead of having him kick a shell or even use the actual spin jump he does in SMW, they invented "Mario Cyclone" out of thin air and made it his down B.

Samus has all the grace and fluidity of a sack of moldy potatoes, opting instead to give her trademark speed and maneuverability to a character who spent 99% of his canon appearances up to that point sat in a cockpit. Her moveset seems like the result of someone who has never played Metroid went on an old geocities Super Metroid fansite, picked three of her weapons and assigned them to B moves. Except, not really, because Metroid's Charge Beam doesn't work like the one in Smash at all.

So now there's 4, add the two you mentioned for 6, add Luigi as a clone of Mario for 7.

As far as Link is concerned, seeing as Ocarina of Time was clearly the inspiration for the character's Smash 4 incarnation, I don't think they did an especially good job. He suffers from the same issues as Samus in that while his B-moves may very well be actual attacks from his games they're all executed in such a clunky way that he doesn't feel anything like how playing as Link in OoT feels. The stuff you can do while Z-targeting offers up several movement options they just chose not to implement. Despite having an actual backflip he does while z-targetting, they gave him the same cookie-cutter roll as everyone except Samus and Yoshi. It took until Smash 4 for Link to use his Jump attack as his Dash attack, for goodness sake.

And there is empirical proof that Link and Samus's Smash 64 movesets are awful because they are the worst characters in the game.

I'm going to bring it up to 8. 3/4 of Smash 64's cast are awful representations of what the characters actually do in their games. I have no interest in debating this.
Suit yourself. It's not worth getting all bent out of shape over. I'm just going to point out the fact that

A) It was the first smash bros ever and they were still trying to figure stuff out

B) The N64 wasn't exactly the most advanced piece of hardware in the universe, so to be fair, ALL movements were pretty clunky. I would blame the engine for the lack of fluidity rather than the intended representation. Remember that many of the characters had to have moves invented for them so that they could be playable. Look at modern day Wii Fit and Duck Hunt for example. Their movesets were ENTIRELY fabricated. I guess I could cry about the fact that Duck Hunt doesn't require an actual Light Gun to be playable, but ce la vie.

C) For it's time, people were just stoked to death to have all those legendary characters in a single game together. Sure, their movesets were pretty janky, but I guarantee you that no one was moaning about representation back then. We didn't even think of 12 characters as a piddly amount. Now that we're spoiled with 80 odd characters, Hi Definition and tons of other fan service, we have the luxury of looking back to compare.

EDIT: Though I do have admit, why the freak did it take them so long to give DK the rolling dash attack? That one really eludes me.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
In fact, I don't think I ever saw a restock of Rosalina Smash amiibos.

On that note, every Ultimate amibo wave has had one amiibo that is stupidly rare, almost impossible: Inkling, Plant, Daisy and now Isabelle.
i have a Rosalina land luma amiibo!

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen a Rosalina Amiibo in person in my life. It must be one of the rarest Amiibos out there or something. I do remember her being a Target exclusive so that greatly explains that. But I don't remember if there was a 2nd print for her especially if it was outside of Target in the States.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Mariotehplumber selling 100 Rosalina Amiibos

Lmao! This guy is a total idiot.
He also commissioned the Grinch leak.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, whyyyy are we still entertaining that Google theory again? It's been debunked multiple times and has a lot more evidence against it than for it. Whyyyy why why. Why. Please, we already know it means nothing. Why are we still entertaining it? Like? ?!?!??!

Oh, right, Geno, uh... Hi guys, he's really cute!! I want to hug him!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wait, whyyyy are we still entertaining that Google theory again? It's been debunked multiple times and has a lot more evidence against it than for it. Whyyyy why why. Why. Please, we already know it means nothing. Why are we still entertaining it? Like? ?!?!??!

Oh, right, Geno, uh... Hi guys, he's really cute!! I want to hug him!
As far as what I've seen, the google theory hasn't been debunked. Sure there could be the possibility that a troll paid for all those ads but I have yet to see anyone prove that it was the case and those that tried only linked an ad to Amazon instead of the intended Smash Bros website.

Plus when the Google theory stopped working, Joker's ad was taken down too. Then there is Artorias who could have been a mistake much like Thanos and Spongebob. Google Theory could still potentially be real but we'll just have to wait and see if the last two characters are Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something to consider about leaks and their timeframe, our Discord (aside from Sabi I guess) was all but sure about Banjo in April based on the things that Sabi shared with us from some of her other sources. Most of us we're probably 75% "this is totally happening" two months before E3 and then the evidence came rolling in like crazy in the following weeks.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Something to consider about leaks and their timeframe, our Discord (aside from Sabi I guess) was all but sure about Banjo in April based on the things that Sabi shared with us from some of her other sources. Most of us we're probably 75% "this is totally happening" two months before E3 and then the evidence came rolling in like crazy in the following weeks.
and the starling hint happened in mid July, so the idea of it panning out in 2 months really isn't that farfetched with this context

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Oh, so the bird is hinting at a character for Smash 8, Super Smash Brothers Kerfluffle, where they reboot the series to have 6 and a half playable characters. Also 7 of those characters are just Pit dressed up as Marth.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I could perhaps believe that but there is no way he draw that banner and came up with that leak. His IQ is below 0 so it's impossible.
"Commissioned" implies that he didn't do it himself and got someone else to do it. Which is something I can entirely believe a talentless hack like him doing, honestly.

At this point, I'm assuming Google "Theory" is either a deliberate hoax, or more likely, a minor snag in Google's algorithm that people have chosen to run with for whatever reason. The chances of it being legit at this point are so unbelievably slim, it's not even funny.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
and the starling hint happened in mid July, so the idea of it panning out in 2 months really isn't that farfetched with this context
Wait a minute... starling hint... is about a bird photo...farfetched = Farfetch'd... is a bird Pokémon...
I think I broke the code guys, Farfetch'd confirmed for Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm sure this has been covered but I still find the missing Mii costume super suspicious:

-If Geno and Chocobo had returned, it would have followed the exact same pattern that Joker's Mii costumes had: 2 swordsmen, 1 brawler, two hats, and 1 gunner. The omission seems deliberate, as if this is what they originally wanted to do but something (or someone) made them change their minds.

-Aside from Rex (a second party character), the Mii costume DLC is deliberately categorized. Joker's was specifically SEGA, Hero was specifically Dragon Quest, not Square Enix. Based on this, it's very unlikely that Geno and Chocobo will just be included with another DLC pack except in the event of another Square Enix character. I'm not counting on a "greatest hits" costume pack either because the only other super notable Mii costumes still missing are Lloyd and arguably Heihachi, both Namco anyways.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, the main thing giving me pause on Geno's Mii Costume being missing is that the only costumes revealed with the Hero were from Enix, which leads me to believe that we're probably getting a Square Costume showcase at a later date. So basically, I'm not totally convinced we're out of the woods yet on that front.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm sure this has been covered but I still find the missing Mii costume super suspicious:

-If Geno and Chocobo had returned, it would have followed the exact same pattern that Joker's Mii costumes had: 2 swordsmen, 1 brawler, two hats, and 1 gunner. The omission seems deliberate, as if this is what they originally wanted to do but something (or someone) made them change their minds.

-Aside from Rex (a second party character), the Mii costume DLC is deliberately categorized. Joker's was specifically SEGA, Hero was specifically Dragon Quest, not Square Enix. Based on this, it's very unlikely that Geno and Chocobo will just be included with another DLC pack except in the event of another Square Enix character. I'm not counting on a "greatest hits" costume pack either because the only other super notable Mii costumes still missing are Lloyd and arguably Heihachi, both Namco anyways.
That, and if Namco gets a second rep, chances are Lloyd or KOS-MOS are by far the most likely given that Heihachi was both a Mii Costume and part of Pacman's taunt.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

The Geno Mii Costume was sold separately with the Geno's hat, right?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Honestly, the main thing giving me pause on Geno's Mii Costume being missing is that the only costumes revealed with the Hero were from Enix, which leads me to believe that we're probably getting a Square Costume showcase at a later date. So basically, I'm not totally convinced we're out of the woods yet on that front.
Again though, why would they not show Square costumes alongside Enix ones? As FMOI said, the costumes being revealed are alongside DLC characters from their companies.

So by that logic, they held them back to release alongside a Square character. And any Square character that isn’t Geno is basically an insult at this point. I doubt they’re doing two unique third parties (non echoes) from the same series so that rules out FF

Ovaltine

Smash Master

The fact that Geno and Chocobo were the two missing, as opposed to Joker's six costumes, really feels deliberate. Of course, there is a good chance that it isn't, because finding patterns with Sakurai and Smash proves fruitless when patterns have been shattered time and again. (Then again, Ultimate proved that some patterns do hold up, such as one new Pokemon rep at the very least per entry.) That said, didn't we get the starling hint shortly after Hero's presentation? Maybe word got out at Nintendo HQ that Geno was being added to the plans (indie DLC?), and his and Chocobo's stuff got removed last minute.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that Geno and Chocobo were the two missing, as opposed to Joker's six costumes, really feels deliberate. Of course, there is a good chance that it isn't, because finding patterns with Sakurai and Smash proves fruitless when patterns have been shattered time and again. (Then again, Ultimate proved that some patterns do hold up, such as one new Pokemon rep at the very least per entry.) That said, didn't we get the starling hint shortly after Hero's presentation? Maybe word got out at Nintendo HQ that Geno was being added to the plans (indie DLC?), and his and Chocobo's stuff got removed last minute.
We got confirmation from Sabi's source that the starling picture was indeed a deliberate hint, and whatever it is was coming soon. That's what happened

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We got confirmation from Sabi's source that the starling picture was indeed a deliberate hint, and whatever it is was coming soon. That's what happened
I know. I was calling Geno's Mii costume omission the thing that seemed deliberate to me. I already know about the whole rundown with the starling image.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, you know, come to think of it, considering that Super Mario RPG AND Final Fantasy both originated from Squaresoft could be an indicator as to why the Geno Mii costume, and Chocobo hat weren't included with Hero's Mii costumes (since Dragon Quest originated from Enix); thus "alluding" to a Squaresoft rep later on (or just Geno after being revealed that Nintendo bought the rights to everything SMRPG related Square Enix still had). :bowsette:

Firox

Smash Master
Totally random thought, but does anyone else find it kinda funny that SMRPG ripped off the Disneyland Light Parade at the end? I mean, they almost had it down to the music too. Ahh, those were the days. Before the Empire. Before Disney copyright litigation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been speculating the release date for Banjo and Kazooie for Smash Ultimate on the side. Since Nintendo Directs are difficult to predict exact dates for, I'm going by what titles are releasing in September for the Switch and the next wave of Smash amiibos. Link's Awakening remake and Ni No Kuni are both releasing on the 20th of the month along with the amiibos for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake. Dragon Quest 11S releases on the 27. Given how the pattern for E-Shop maintenance occurs when major Nintendo or 3rd party titles are set to launch the week of that date, it narrows down Banjo and Kazooie's potential release date to no later than September 30th should the duo be a late September release like the DQ heroes being a late July release

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I thought the Geno watercooler rumors came out in December/January?

I also didn't think the source was a Geno fan.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Current feeling regarding the Starling picture and what it means ... when the reveal will be ... etc....

a3f3d390a566424c434e63c34c53116f.gif

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm hoping with the order that this was revealed, Geno is FP character 4. It'd be a huge win for the Pass as a whole, and we can still have a bonus character like maybe an AT upgrade or something

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Just a question, why do you guys think Nintendo never bothered to buy the full rights to Super Mario RPG and its characters?

They didn't have that much of an issue in buying the full rights to the Donkey Kong franchise from Rare, so considering that Mario is arguably their 1# franchise, why don't they just do the fans a favor? I can't see Square Enix putting that much of a big price for characters that they don't use for anything like Geno and Mallow. Yet again, I keep hearing that Square is a company that's hard to deal with, is that really the reason??

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Just a question, why do you guys think Nintendo never bothered to buy the full rights to Super Mario RPG and its characters?

They didn't have that much of an issue in buying the full rights to the Donkey Kong franchise from Rare, so considering that Mario is arguably their 1# franchise, why don't they just do the fans a favor? I can't see Square Enix putting that much of a big price for characters that they don't use for anything like Geno and Mallow. Yet again, I keep hearing that Square is a company that's hard to deal with, is that really the reason??
I'm going to assume that SE is not one for selling it's IPs off and the price they wanted was more than Nintendo was willing to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom