• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I see my question has not been answered yet. Nintendo did pick the Fighters Pass DLC characters, right?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of a questionable practice if you ask me...
It was the easiest way I could think of to figure out who wanted to be added. Having to go through a thread with 50,000 posts takes a lot of time and I spend most of the week working

7NATOR

Smash Master
I see my question has not been answered yet. Nintendo did pick the Fighters Pass DLC characters, right?
Nintendo picked Characters, but Sakurai picked from those characters which ones would work in the context of Smash, That's what has seemed to happen

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nintendo picked Characters, but Sakurai picked from those characters which ones would work in the context of Smash, That's what has seemed to happen
Then allow me to ask.

If Nintendo picked characters, why would Nintendo pick Geno as one of the characters for Sakurai to choose from for DLC? I mean, Sakurai did want Geno in at least Smash Bros. Brawl, but Nintendo is not really Sakurai here. I am not doubting Geno's chances here, I am just wondering.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Then allow me to ask.

If Nintendo picked characters, why would Nintendo pick Geno as one of the characters for Sakurai to choose from for DLC? I mean, Sakurai did want Geno in at least Smash Bros. Brawl, but Nintendo is not really Sakurai here. I am not doubting Geno's chances here, I am just wondering.
My best Guess is that Like Banjo, Geno is just a Really Popular Fan pick among Smash fans, and that would entail Smash Money for DLC. Yes i Know Banjo is not in Geno's situation, but eh

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I am torn now, honestly.
I absolutely trust Sabi, but I also firmly believe that the Google Leak was a bit too perfect to be just a glitch. So that means that I believe that the final two Fighter's Pass characters are Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa, but I also see Geno as likely. So either Geno is a bonus character like Piranha Plant, or he is part of a second Fighter's Pass.
Hopefully the second, for obvious reasons.
I'm pretty sure the Google thing was just a troll paying for an ad to a fake link on the Netherlands Nintendo site, which just either gave you a blank page or redirected you to the main page of the site. The Google stuff also had Artorias while nobody got Hero or any DQ character when doing what they needed for the ad to show up. Some people, however, claimed they even got Thanos to have it show up; some said SpongeBob, too, though how true these two claims are seem questionable, I think at least one was fake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then allow me to ask.

Well Banjo is a fan favorite character whom a big chunk of popularity comes from within the Smash fanbase yet they chose them to be DLC (Although admittedly Banjo is a lot bigger in the grand scheme of things in comparison to Geno). Geno is much the same as Banjo is in that case and in terms of DLC sales I'm pretty sure the majority if not 60/40 percent of the sales come from the Smash fanbase.

Fans of most games will always get that games DLC and with how large and dedicated to Smash the fanbase is I very much doubt that this is any different. Geno would be an excellent choice if they wanted to go for one more Fan Favorite.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Crack Theory

Google Theory is real, is just that we misunderstood it

Some of the Google Theory Characters are Mii Costumes. My best guess is that Dark Souls and Ryu Hayubusa are Mii Costumes, and Doomguy is Playable

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
i step away from this thread for like a week and i've missed almost 100 pages, did i miss anything

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i step away from this thread for like a week and i've missed almost 100 pages, did i miss anything
Some vague "leak" that people were hoping was Geno and were hoping came at VGA's but the VGA's came and went and nothing from Nintendo or related to the leak has been shown off. People then thought it was pokemon but still nothing.

Edit: EVO not VGA. lol

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about Geno's chances, but first, to make sure, I must ask: Nintendo were the ones who decided who would be in the fighter's pass, right?
Well Nintendo did say a while back they know we want Waluigi and Geno so it possible they put them on the list and Sakurai picked Geno

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You missed us hoping for a reveal at EVO, being pretty bummed out at not having one, us losing our minds over Geno's Mii Costume being missing from Hero's gameplay reveal, talking about birds due to Sabi's NoA source giving us a picture hint of a European Starling, us connecting the dots between that image leak and Jon from GameExplain posting otters, AND all of that crashing down and now there being doubt about the image and what it's hinting at.

In between there was some socio-political bickering, some L's being taken, some hating and some loving on Pokemon Sword and Shield, some bickering over people supporting or not supporting Geno and what that really means, and me streaming and totally not crying like a baby over finishing Disc 1 of Final Fantasy 7.

I think that covers almost everything!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well Nintendo did say a while back they know we want Waluigi and Geno so it possible they put them on the list and Sakurai picked Geno
If that were true and revealed later, I bet the Waluigi fans would be ticked off. No offense to any Waluigi fan reading this, of course.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Got any sauce on that? Where did Nintendo acknowledge that?

Last edited:

cheeseseatbelt

Smash Cadet
Who were the biggest characters on the Grinch leak, for you?

For me, it was Isaac and Geno. I still feel bad about Isaac. Shadow would’ve been an awesome echo, too..
This is ancient, but I want to answer it since it's a good question.

I thought banjo was awesome, and he was basically the reason I was hyped for the grinch leak.
Mach rider and the chorus kids were very weird and odd choices in my opinion, but they grew on me over time. I still think they should be included if they ever do a second fighter's pass for nintendo characters.
I thought shadow and ken were shoo-in echos, especially ken, since he is the grandfather of all fighting game clones. I thought shadow was cool too, and I thought it was about time for sonic to get another character.
I didn't know who issac was either, lol, since I had just gotten into smash speculation. I looked up golden sun music though, and thought it was awesome.
And geno I thought was neat, but I had forgotten who he was, since the last time I saw him was watching Sprite animations 7 or 8 years ago. I think the grinch leak was the domino that led me to root for geno more in smash speculation, along with papagenos.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Geno will descend from heaven to Smash. I can feel the Second Coming. Just be patient, it will happen this year.

⭐

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure the Google thing was just a troll paying for an ad to a fake link on the Netherlands Nintendo site, which just either gave you a blank page or redirected you to the main page of the site. The Google stuff also had Artorias while nobody got Hero or any DQ character when doing what they needed for the ad to show up. Some people, however, claimed they even got Thanos to have it show up; some said SpongeBob, too, though how true these two claims are seem questionable, I think at least one was fake.
When it came to Artorias that's because his name is part of the DLC for Dark Souls, so that's why he showed up.

During Google Theory nobody ever thought of using "Hero" to test it out (so it was claimed). People used Erdrick and Luminary, and seeing how Sakurai said those aren't their names that makes a big difference. And seeing how you can't use Doomguy to make it work the naming has to be exact.

As for the Spongebob & Thanos one you can get that to happen if you do it incorrectly. If you follow every single step then you get only those 4 characters instead of Spongebob and Thanos.

But ad is expensive. I know people do a whole lot to make fake leaks convincing, but there's a certain extent one person can actually go and Google Theory seems extremely round about way to do it... but then again the Grinch Leak felt impossible to fake but that $%<&×@ showed us.

I don't believe anything or have a solid clue on who's getting in (I only know the ones who ain't getting in) but I lean a little towards Google Theory.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
And they turned Waluigi into an Assist Trophy for a third time, so saying that they hear the requests means jack crap when you do nothing about it. In fact, it worst that way because they hear you but they don't care.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
And they turned Waluigi into an Assist Trophy for a third time, so saying that they hear the requests means jack crap when you do nothing about it. In fact, it worst that way because they hear you but they don't care.
I'll be honest...I assume that a large percentage of the support for Waluigi is just people memeing. In terms of Mario spinoff side characters, I think Geno has more potential as a fighter than Waluigi does. I will be hugely disappointed if Waluigi makes it in before Geno.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
When it came to Artorias that's because his name is part of the DLC for Dark Souls, so that's why he showed up.
I don’t think this is the case. It was a Google ad, so it probably looked for the keywords and phrases that whoever paid for the ad set. The only reason it got off the ground is because people are mostly in the dark regarding Google’s algorithm.
and also because Banjo was in it

Also I’m pretty sure the Google theory characters line up with an older 4chan leak. Artorias is just someone’s dark horse pick.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Meh, when you have people like Mariotehplumber, I find it very easy to believe it was a troll. Don’t see why the dudes that work the Netherlands Nintendo site (or any other of their sites) would have another ad going with characters other than Joker as keywords, anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The activity here has kind of been slowing down since we surpassed the Smash 4 K. Rool thread. I mean the activity here is still going strong, but it's like several pages a day instead of like 20 during the days leading up to EVO.

Sooner or later, they'll run out of characters that aren't Geno.
Exactly! Geno is A tier Square-Enix character that is likely in the top 10 possible Square-Enix reps for Smash. But too all of us here on Smashboards and the Smash community, Geno is S tier so Square-Enix would be fools to ignore us.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

During Google Theory nobody ever thought of using "Hero" to test it out (so it was claimed). People used Erdrick and Luminary, and seeing how Sakurai said those aren't their names that makes a big difference. And seeing how you can't use Doomguy to make it work the naming has to be exact.

As for the Spongebob & Thanos one you can get that to happen if you do it incorrectly. If you follow every single step then you get only those 4 characters instead of Spongebob and Thanos.

But ad is expensive. I know people do a whole lot to make fake leaks convincing, but there's a certain extent one person can actually go and Google Theory seems extremely round about way to do it... but then again the Grinch Leak felt impossible to fake but that $%<&×@ showed us.

I don't believe anything or have a solid clue on who's getting in (I only know the ones who ain't getting in) but I lean a little towards Google Theory.
You know it's the darnedest thing. I have had a conversation about a person on this site who claims to have guessed Hero during the Google leaks active round and also that Papagenos can back him up on this. I don't think I believe him all too well since I have never asked Papagenos about this but his video entirely contradicts what this person claims. What do you think?

Yes i did follow the steps. It was back when the theory was first discovered, i found a setup that made it work. PapaGenos can confirm that i PM'd him about it at the time, and was the one who discovered that putting in names of DLC for other games such as Freedom Cry was bringing up the ad, thus confirming the theory i already had at the time that the characters were merely being linked to the concept of DLC by google.
https://i.gyazo.com/34372b747812e22c342b96e1f4c6bec0.png
I tried multiple names at the time and i clearly remember trying Erdrick, Luminary, Hero, Yuusha and Brave. None of them was bringing up the ad. Once i get home maybe i'll be able to screencap my Firefox history (if i didn't clear it for the sake of the setup, which is sadly likely to have happened considering it was one of the steps), but that's the most i can do in terms of providing proof.
That's strange because Papagenos stated in the video below that no one guessed "Hero" because it was so generic. All we've heard recent about the google theory was that people came to terms that Artorias was popping up because of the DLC for Dark Souls. What you have said pretty much conflicts with his statement.

He states this at 36:48 mark
I didn't contribute to their shared document at the time, which is my bad (i didn't feel the need to because i didn't take the theory seriously even at the time), so PapaGenos had no way of knowing that i tried this name. He can confirm that i personally PM'd him about google theory and how it was explainable by Google's algorithm linking concepts together though.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Meh, when you have people like Mariotehplumber, I find it very easy to believe it was a troll. Don’t see why the dudes that work the Netherlands Nintendo site (or any other of their sites) would have another ad going with characters other than Joker as keywords, anyway.
And the Grinch Hoax. If someone wants to troll, they will go to outrageous lengths to troll.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
And the Grinch Hoax. If someone wants to troll, they will go to outrageous lengths to troll.
Speaking of which, i’m still convinced that MTP had a huge part in the making of the Grinch leak. The chad ganondorf post sounded wayyyy too much like the way he speaks (talking like an immature little kid and swearing left and right)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I honestly don't think MTP would be smart enough to draw, at any rate. Guy seems like he barely focuses. The most he could do is commission someone, then take credit for it afterwards. Not that it matters now, he probably raged when BK popped up.

My best Guess is that Like Banjo, Geno is just a Really Popular Fan pick among Smash fans, and that would entail Smash Money for DLC. Yes i Know Banjo is not in Geno's situation, but eh
They probably relied on a list of characters that were submitted by fans to the ballot. :ultkrool: fans noted that much of his moveset seems like it specifically referenced suggestions made by fans. Historically, official polls in Japan and such have been used like checklists as well (out of everyone in Brawl's poll, Geno is among the select few that haven't been made playable yet).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They probably relied on a list of characters that were submitted by fans to the ballot. :ultkrool: fans noted that much of his moveset seems like it specifically referenced suggestions made by fans. Historically, official polls in Japan and such have been used like checklists as well (out of everyone in Brawl's poll, Geno is among the select few that haven't been made playable yet).
And Krystal. She was in the top 10 in the Brawl poll I believe. Everyone else excluding her and Geno in the top 10 in that poll are already in.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Google theory is an easy fake not sure why you’d take it seriously wynn728 wynn728 when it has less credibility than some of the sketchy Geno leaks going around

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Google theory is an easy fake not sure why you’d take it seriously wynn728 wynn728 when it has less credibility than some of the sketchy Geno leaks going around
I never said I take it serious or that it's totally legit. All I'm saying that out of all the leaks & theories that's going around this is the idea would somewhat consider, not that it's true but it's possible that it could happen. It's a whole lot better then "Frisk & Waluigi are leaked as the final two fighters" or the 5ch leak in terms of how it's presented and got created, and I know that there's people out there who go to extreme lengths to make convincing "leaks" even if it doesn't get show properly. With all leaks I 100% don't believe them, but with Google Theory I 90% don't believe it. I feel like Doomguy at the very least has a decent shot in Smash Bros seeing how Doom 2016 got ported, Doom Eternal is on it's way and all three Doom games are on Switch (which means just about every Doom game is now on the Switch), but there's a good chance that won't happen either.

But I feel like I shouldn't be criticized for taking Google Theory a little serious when people on this board took Lupin Leak serious.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think MTP would be smart enough to draw, at any rate. Guy seems like he barely focuses. The most he could do is commission someone, then take credit for it afterwards. Not that it matters now, he probably raged when BK popped up.

Uhoh, should we expect all Banjo amiibos to vanish from the stores too?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Crack Theory

Google Theory is real, is just that we misunderstood it

Some of the Google Theory Characters are Mii Costumes. My best guess is that Dark Souls and Ryu Hayubusa are Mii Costumes, and Doomguy is Playable
Mii costumes don't get their own pages on the Smash Bros. Ultimate site, so that seems to immediately debunk that idea.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
But I feel like I shouldn't be criticized for taking Google Theory a little serious when people on this board took Lupin Leak serious.
I think it was more that people simply entertained it since it had a specified date wherein we would know if it was credible or not.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
They will disappear faster than Thanos can snap his fingers with the Infinity Gauntlet.
In fact, I don't think I ever saw a restock of Rosalina Smash amiibos.

On that note, every Ultimate amibo wave has had one amiibo that is stupidly rare, almost impossible: Inkling, Plant, Daisy and now Isabelle.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is the source who showed Sabi the starling the same one who talked about Geno watercooler rumors?
Yes. It's been a long time since I've talked about it. I know a lot of you are new so I'll repeat the story:

Basically Geno had supposedly been a rumor around NoA since last August/September. After the November Direct, the Source™ was pretty bummed that his most wanted disconfirmed but a supervisor pulled him aside and told him that "Geno was probably coming." Again, kind of vague because we don't know in what context and it honestly feels like a coin toss but leaning slightly on the positive.

Something you all have to realize is that, like Slender said, the guy's got his own network and he's implied that a lot of his info comes from senior co-workers and supervisors he's friends with. I feel like this is a big reason why his track record is pristine. He gets his information from people deeper in the company than him and is able to use his network to fact check. Like we've been saying, he only shares stuff with us that's all but confirmed. When I cracked and shared the starling, he hadn't done his full round of fact checking yet but since then he has and it now checks out as an honest to God hint about something.

Also, one thing I'll say is don't fall into the same trap that I did. A big reason I discarded Hero was because the Intel was "old" because this was ultimately the reason why the Gematsu leak with Smash 4 collapsed on itself. It hasn't even been a full month so I'm super incredulous when people totally discard it for being "old." Hero took 10 months to pan out, just sayin'. Hell, Ridley took a month and a half and Simon was almost three. You all have to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom