• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Thank you. It does help to hear that everyone experiences unsatisfactory art although having experienced that I certainly don't wish it on anyone. Usually looking at exotic Flora/fauna or Fakemon/Pokemon/creature designs and concepts does break me out of a funk so those are good suggestions its just that nothing is working lately. My friend and I actually discussed today just trying our hand at drawing something different and simpler like masks or more generic creatures to get ourselves out of the funk. I think it might work because the concept behind the masks is actually pretty cool so we're starting to get excited for it.

Also, totally unrelated to this but relevant to recent questions on the thread...my first experience with Geno was me playing through a friend's copy of Smrpg which came from him highly recommended. Ever since I played through the game it's been one of my enduring favorites for many reasons and Geno was always the character that stuck out to me and was my favorite to use in my party.

Also, also 5 echo fighters:
1. Captain Toad and Captain Toadette as a sort of echo of Ice Climbers
2. Shadow (Sonic) (more so because it would make a lot of people happy than any real connection I have to the character)
3. Protoman (MegaMan)
4. Ms Pacman (Pacman)
5. I really do like the idea of Booster (Wario) or Boshi (Yoshi) so...why not both?
If you're burnt out on fakemon it's definitely a good idea to take a break and try drawing other stuff.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hey guys, I know we are really dead set on talking about stuff about leaks right now, but since it hasn't been going well in that department, I've got a distraction.

I want you to do three things:
  1. Tell me your favorite moment in SMRPG. If it has anything to do with Geno, list the next one down that doesn't involve him directly.
  2. Post your favorite canon content of SMRPG. If it's Geno, post your second favorite. Characters, music, sections of the game, art work, etc.
  3. Post your favorite non-canon content of SMRPG. Any fan works fall under this, though obviously keep it PG for the kiddos.
1. Tough question, but I'd have to go with when the Axem Rangers swoop in and steal the Red Star. That was just a cool moment that led up to one of the most memorable boss fights in the game.
2. Exor. Just, Exor. I mean, a giant sentient magical sword crashing through the sky into the roof of a castle? BAD ****ING ASS.
3. You know it's gotta be Rawest Forest Reanimated. Gotta love them goofy animations. Also, the original Rawest Forest was my first exposure to SMRPG, so it hits close to home for me.

Last edited:

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
1. Tough question, but I'd have to go with when the Axem Rangers swoop in and steal the Red Star. That was just a cool moment that led up to one of the most memorable boss fights in the game.
DUDE when the music kicks in and you're chasing them up the volcano - such a badass change of pace. And right after what you anticipate being the "big boss fight" with Czar Dragon...

EDIT: ALSOOOOOO Not sure if this link will work, but I started a little Geno tattoo a few weeks ago... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IpV63gql9VH7ki8q94vNiOa0UT6-1NVR/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
They own the original characters, locales, and music. Everything else belongs to Nintendo. That said, they could technically use him for whatever but it would have to be totally outside the context of the Mario universe. In other words, the character would have to be hard rebooted to legally appear outside a Nintendo/Mario game.
What's interesting about the Square Enix/Mario RPG characters, locations, etc. is Yo'ster cookies in Yoshi's Crafted World and MegaSmilax name from Palutena's guidance. I wonder since they are more "Mario" Universe Nintendo could use those names?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
  1. Tell me your favorite moment in SMRPG. If it has anything to do with Geno, list the next one down that doesn't involve him directly.
  2. Post your favorite canon content of SMRPG. If it's Geno, post your second favorite. Characters, music, sections of the game, art work, etc.
  3. Post your favorite non-canon content of SMRPG. Any fan works fall under this, though obviously keep it PG for the kiddos.
Now that's what I'm talking about!
  1. Such a toss-up, honestly. Literally everything involving Booster and Marrymore destroyed me... but boy, the Axem Rangers are freaking cool. Nimbus Land gives me some warm feelings, too, especially with Mallow reuniting with his parents. Talk about a tearjerker!
  2. Music? Fight Against Smithy (Phase 1), hands down, with Hello, Happy Kingdom! being right up there with Let's Do The Fuka Fuka! That one official render of Bowser and Peach falling from Bowser's Keep with Exor looming over Mario is also just... so great. It's so, so great. Also, minus Geno, my second favorite is easily Mallow himself. I love that little guy like you wouldn't believe.
  3. Loopylupe's color key is EASILY my favorite fan content. Her old seven star comics are great, too, but that freaking COLOR KEY, holy HELL. It is my life, my joy, my bread and butter. If there are any SMRPG fans in here that have not yet checked it out, please, for the love of all that is holy, do yourself a favor and do that now.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
What's interesting about the Square Enix/Mario RPG characters, locations, etc. is Yo'ster cookies in Yoshi's Crafted World and MegaSmilax name from Palutena's guidance. I wonder since they are more "Mario" Universe Nintendo could use those names?
And also strange as Geno's spirit uses the Mario mushroom icon, not a blank one for miscellaneous franchises.

Why can't Square just give the SMRPG stuff to Nintendo already?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And also strange as Geno's spirit uses the Mario mushroom icon, not a blank one for miscellaneous franchises.

I wish they would, but alas, business is business. To top it all off, we don't even know if Nintendo would make use of them anyway, given the fact that they've been treating the Mario RPGs like pure garbage lately.

Arthur97

Smash Master

Why is that strange? No matter who owns him, he's a Mario character from a Mario game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Wouldn’t that be a point in his favor tho? If it were miscellaneous franchises he’d probably be screwed

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
  1. Such a toss-up, honestly. Literally everything involving Booster and Marrymore destroyed me... but boy, the Axem Rangers are freaking cool. Nimbus Land gives me some warm feelings, too, especially with Mallow reuniting with his parents. Talk about a tearjerker!
  2. Music? Fight Against Smithy (Phase 1), hands down, with Hello, Happy Kingdom! being right up there with Let's Do The Fuka Fuka! That one official render of Bowser and Peach falling from Bowser's Keep with Exor looming over Mario is also just... so great. It's so, so great. Also, minus Geno, my second favorite is easily Mallow himself. I love that little guy like you wouldn't believe.
  3. Loopylupe's color key is EASILY my favorite fan content. Her old seven star comics are great, too, but that freaking COLOR KEY, holy HELL. It is my life, my joy, my bread and butter. If there are any SMRPG fans in here that have not yet checked it out, please, for the love of all that is holy, do yourself a favor and do that now.
I have actually never seen this before, I'm look at it now.

Mallow crying both face down in the road and looking at Mario all sad got me good.

PROTECT OUR SMALL FLUFFY BOI!

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH FROGFUCIUS WITH BABY MALLOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have actually never seen this before, I'm look at it now.

Mallow crying both face down in the road and looking at Mario all sad got me good.

PROTECT OUR SMALL FLUFFY BOI!

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH FROGFUCIUS WITH BABY MALLOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!
Oh, I can tell that you are NOT ready for how emotional and amazing this thing is already. :p Have fun, my dude. Be sure to give us your reactions! This goes for everyone else checking it out for the first time, too!!

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I gotta say, I ****ing lied. My favorite piece of non-canon Mario RPG content is this short comic series called Star Road Crusaders. Where they put the mario RPGs and gurren lagann in a blender and hit puree. It helps that the artist is good as hell. If you aren't clicking the link by now, there's something wrong with you.
https://tapas.io/episode/726088

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish they would, but alas, business is business. To top it all off, we don't even know if Nintendo would make use of them anyway, given the fact that they've been treating the Mario RPGs like pure garbage lately.
Given that, it's just as well that SMRPG doesn't get a remake anyway, AlphaDream is getting too pooped to keep pumping out RPGs. I'd settle for sports/party spin-off guest appearances.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I know we are really dead set on talking about stuff about leaks right now, but since it hasn't been going well in that department, I've got a distraction.

Oh right then,

1. The very beginning, you know the game is gonna be good once you START fighting bowser, atm I was like "Yoo that was easy", then when a Giant ****ing sword came out of nowhere just to crush into Bowser's Castle while an epic music is playing ( Context Right Here ) with the name of the game on it on big letters... Man.. I ****ing loved that part and it made me love the game since the very beginning.

2. The fact that "Hello Happy Kingdom" was remastered on Fortune Street: You gotta listen to this!

3. This art, Ovaltine's Draws and Nathalie's SMRPG Comic on Twitter

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pretty much. It's stuff that so entangled with Mario IPs that it would be virtually impossible to separate without a reboot and a very heavy redesign. For example, Boshi. He's basically "Bad Yoshi." You can't really separate that from the character. You'd need to change the character to such a degree that it would honestly just be smarter and easier to make a brand new character. Same could be said about Geno. He's owned by a little Toad boy in a town of Toads and he comes from Star Road, a place that's technically been in existence in the Mario universe since Super Mario World. You'd have to totally rewrite his origin story and his character arc but then it quickly reaches the conclusion of "what's the point? Why not just make someone totally new?"

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Easy
  1. When you get the power star in Nimbus Castle and take out Dodo running through the hallway. I went back and did that a second time because I found it so amusing
  2. FFIV music fighting against Culex because FFIV is technically the best Final Fantasy game
  3. This thread

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh, I can tell that you are NOT ready for how emotional and amazing this thing is already. :p Have fun, my dude. Be sure to give us your reactions! This goes for everyone else checking it out for the first time, too!!
Omg, my chest is so heavy with emotion.

I kid you not, it feels like I just played through the whole game again, and all I did was look at pictures! It just reminds me of how many awesome moments there were in that game, and how good that game really is.

Guys, whenever someone thinks you are weird for wanting more from a 23-year-old game...make sure it doesn't get to you. Sometimes things are overrated, and sometimes they are generally SO good that everyone loves them BECAUSE of how good they are. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is one of those things. It just did so many things right, like oh my god. It balances quirky and funny moments with sad ones and moments of shock and anger and anxiety...just, wow.

I have to say, if we do ever got a remake on the level of FF7R, we need to have all the party members active at a time in some form. Either that, or more moments when the party is all together but not ALL TOGETHER INSIDE MARIO'S POCKET DIMENSION IN HIS OVERALLS!

T2by4

Smash Lord
I gotta say, I ****ing lied. My favorite piece of non-canon Mario RPG content is this short comic series called Star Road Crusaders. Where they put the mario RPGs and gurren lagann in a blender and hit puree. It helps that the artist is good as hell. If you aren't clicking the link by now, there's something wrong with you.
https://tapas.io/episode/726088
Mfw Sakurai reveals Geno.
reveal.png

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Let’s say the Pokemon Direct comes and goes with nothing related to a starling bird, what next? When do you think it’d pan out, if ever?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Let’s say the Pokemon Direct comes and goes with nothing related to a starling bird, what next? When do you think it’d pan out, if ever?
It probably will, it'll just take longer. This source is pretty reputable, we'll eventually see whatever this starling thing is related to.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Good Lord, there are no words to describe the utter glory of that comic

It reminded me of why I'm a Super Mario RPG fan. What I wouldn't give to see an animated adaptation of that comic, and to see those five together in a game again.

Team. Dudes and dudettes. We can do this. We can bring them back. We can bring our boy Geno home, and see them all having more happy adventures in Nintendo games once again. You've just got to believe.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Feels vindicating that it was a real DM. Just because it came from GameFAQS doesn't mean it wasn't legitimate. I posted that and got angry responses from a lot of you because it could be seen as negative for Geno's chances, but i'm just trying to share the current state of information.

Still, disappointing that the guy took what Sabi said and twisted it into his own little story that it "definitely isn't Geno".
I'll gladly take the L for that. Probably shouldn't have gone so hard on it in hindsight lol

That being said the convo was twisted by the dude to fit his own agenda, so it's not as if we're 100% at fault here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

1. Pretty much anytime Mario went into his hyperactive acting sequences, especially the one when you return Peach to the Mushroom Kingdom. As someone with ADHD, it made me happy as a kid to see Mario make weird noises and be goofy as all get out and everyone just kind of roll with it. I didn't get the same treatment as a kid. I usually got in trouble or yelled at or ostracized so to see my favorite video game character act like 8 year old me and have people accept him was really comforting.

2. Just all of it. The character designs. The scenarios. The dialogue. The music. It would take too long to list them all.

3. Just this fanbase and its endurance. Hard to believe it's still going strong after all this time. It's yet another topic that would take forever to talk about.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Actually I think Ultimate would be completely perfect if it did three things:

1. Add Geno
2. Add a Skyward Sword and BotW costume options for Zelda
3. Let you turn off certain characters when you pick Random on the character select screen. They let you do it for stages and items but not characters for some reason.

Skipping favorite, here are my most weird/awkward and most random picks for moments in SMRPG:

Weird/awkward: when Mallow gets hit by an arrow and goes “Mario you just DITCHED me back there!”

Random: that beetle shooting mini game in the inn at mushroom kingdom. Like I loved that game but it had nothing at all to do with anything.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Just made this for my server, but I think yous would enjoy it too.
I present to you Geno doing the Club Penguin dance.

genodancesmall.gif

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I just like to talk about Geno leaks because i’m curious of the position that the character is in considering his Mii Costume got deconfirmed

Im sure fatmanonac is trying to get more into

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just made this for my server, but I think yous would enjoy it too.
I present to you Geno doing the Club Penguin dance.

Slender, holy ****, I'm gonna mcfreakin' lose it.

So how we feelin about Geno’s chances?
With his costume gone until further notice, my hopes are actually higher than they've been in a long time. It's kinda 50/50, but before then, I thought it was more like 10/90 rofl. It's a huge leap up and it makes me feel more optimistic, even if it doesn't pan out after all. My boy's got a fighting chance.

D

Deleted member

So how we feelin about Geno’s chances?
Could be a lot better but could be a million times worse. Honestly it's a 50/50 I think it's a coin-flip.

I used to think it was a 15/85 so it's better than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom