• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If you could get 5 echo fighters for DLC...

1. Akechi (Joker)
2. Impa (Sheik)
3. Proto Man (Mega Man)
4. Dixie (Diddy Kong)
5. Ninten (Ness)
1. Black Knight (Ike)
2. Crow (Joker) Sorry Kasumi fans
3. Impa (Sheik)
4. Dixie Kong (Diddy)
5. Ninten (Ness/Lucas)

Wow, I guess ours are only 1 character off.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*Breathes deeply*
*Exhales*

Very well. Rumors and "leaks" will continue surfacing all the way through February 2020. In that sense ladies and gentlemen, in order to quell fears and doubts over the chances of the star-sent messenger, let us simply wait. Won't deny though; waiting can be rough. However, let's trust Sakurai and his team. He knows what he's doing. He's got this. :kirby:

D

Deleted member

all jokes aside he would probably work as a Wario Echo
Honestly yeah I could see it. He'd make a good Wario echo except for the Bike honestly remove that move with something else ala Chrom and then I think he could make a perfect Echo fighter.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
>Me trying to understand what the post says
All you must know is that Geno will not be playable until he is playable, and he cannot be playable until he is confirmed to not be playable, at which point he will stop not being unplayable finallly.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So I am a little confused here but I guess that for any more possible smash bros news, we gotta wait for the September nintendo Direct and maybe we will get fighter #4 revealed there or should I expect any new smash bros news a little earlier? Either way I hope that Starling leak was a connection to smash and not just a leak to that pokemon info we are going to get soon.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
If it be fine I'd like to ask what is everyones history with smrpg like your impressions of geno when you were first introduced to the character?
I used to have a friend, and when I'd go to hang out, we'd play a bunch of different games, but one of our evergreen games was super Mario RPG. I remember thinking geno's flashy attacks were so cool, and I'd always have him keep geno in his party.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In unrelated news, it appears that Sega has a AAA project ready to unveil at Gamescom, but I doubt that Jon was hinting at that.

All you must know is that Geno will not be playable until he is playable, and he cannot be playable until he is confirmed to not be playable, at which point he will stop not being unplayable finallly.
Like I said, Schrodinger's Cat. You can apply this to any character that's spirit-only or otherwise not present, honestly.

Last edited:

Loog

Smash Apprentice
I used to have a friend, and when I'd go to hang out, we'd play a bunch of different games, but one of our evergreen games was super Mario RPG. I remember thinking geno's flashy attacks were so cool, and I'd always have him keep geno in his party.
My first encounter with geno was in M&L Super Star Saga. Was always confused why this very specific design was in that mini-game section. Wasn't till someone gave me there special psp that I finally got to play SMRPG.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
My first encounter with geno was in M&L Super Star Saga. Was always confused why this very specific design was in that mini-game section. Wasn't till someone gave me there special psp that I finally got to play SMRPG.
my first encounter with Geno was watching chuggaconroy play super Mario rpg. I immediately fell in love with him when I laid eyes on his blue cape

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Make that 2005. We along with Xigger, Tbone, Psycho, etc were part of the "Geno Alliance" on Nsider so we've been at this for roughly 14 years, nevermind our own individual online efforts before that with mine going back to 2002.
Anyone who remembers the Geno Alliance is qualified for a veteran's discount. :4pacman:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
GameFAQs: "Ha, Geno fans are delusional!"

Also GameFAQs: *bothers Sabi about stuff and then tries to annoy fans with delusional actions and logic*

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I know we are really dead set on talking about stuff about leaks right now, but since it hasn't been going well in that department, I've got a distraction.

I want you to do three things:
  1. Tell me your favorite moment in SMRPG. If it has anything to do with Geno, list the next one down that doesn't involve him directly.
  2. Post your favorite canon content of SMRPG. If it's Geno, post your second favorite. Characters, music, sections of the game, art work, etc.
  3. Post your favorite non-canon content of SMRPG. Any fan works fall under this, though obviously keep it PG for the kiddos.
To lead by example:
  1. Since my top moment is Geno's arrival ("I serve...a higher authority!") I would say that the first time I accidentally discovered the Retro Mario easter egg just by simply exploring everything made me happy and really caught me off-guard. It's funny that, as a kid when NES Mario still wasn't really all that old, I found it pleasing to see that. May have been more first feeling of nostalgia in my life.
  2. Since my favorite is EASILY Fight Against An Armed Boss and you all have heard it a billion times, I'll go with my next one in line. It's a tough pick between Booster and his entire experience and Moleville as a whole, but I guess I'll have to pick Booster. He's just so wacky, and at first he feels evil but more and more over time you just realize he's sheltered and stupid. Personal favorite Booster moments are: him running the opposite way once the train rounds the corner, him being so overjoyed at getting his Mario doll back that he COMPLETELY IGNORES the fact that Mario is in his room and trying to take Toadstool away, and him being confused and saying Toadstool is 'leaking' ("Tastes salty!"). Moleville is really close though, with all the personality the little mining town has from the music to how even the town just has a different feel to it to the mine cart ride and the dialect of the moles. If a remake got made with voice acting, I'd be most excited for Moleville.
  3. This one is really hard to pick since I only know of art work and music, but I would have to say this remix that I found a couple days ago. You guys have to understand...I already subscribed to this guy called DJtheS for I feel like well over a year (maybe way longer) because he made this remix of Waluigi Pinball Course for Mario Kart DS and Wario World: Greenhorn Forest that was so godlike it deserved a sub. Years later (a couple days ago) I'm looking for SMRPG remixes, and it turns out he made this banger in 2016 that remixes both versions of Smithy's Theme AND BOFTW and it is BALLIN'! Other than that, all of our very own Duck Queen's ( Ovaltine Ovaltine for the newbies for don't know we call her Duck Queen [or I do at least]) art work is right up there. She's so freaking talented and I love it and it kinda makes me jealous as I can't draw like that, so I just enjoy what she makes instead.

Now it's your guy's turn!

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post the remix. Here you go!

EDIT 2: Just a warning, this remix goes in HARD and stays hitting hard.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
is the Geno Alliance still up?
Not after that episode concerning the Mallow Monarchy 30 years ago. It was unspeakably brutal.

This is why Sakurai is against adding Geno: too many battle scars.

Mallow certainly lived up to his special attack's name that day. Psychopath, brrrrrr.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I know we are really dead set on talking about stuff about leaks right now, but since it hasn't been going well in that department, I've got a distraction.
1. That part where the toad freaking says he has a bazooka
2. Soundtrack in its entirety
3. The Geno community
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eAUZBHYsRo

Not after that episode concerning the Mallow Monarchy 30 years ago. It was unspeakably brutal.

This is why Sakurai is against adding Geno: too many battle scars.

Mallow certainly lived up to his special attack's name that day. Psychopath, brrrrrr.
what exactly happened, is there any information online of what happened with Mallow?
did a group of mallow fans upset Sakurai or something

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

1. Tell me your favorite moment in SMRPG. If it has anything to do with Geno, list the next one down that doesn't involve him directly.
  2. Post your favorite canon content of SMRPG. If it's Geno, post your second favorite. Characters, music, sections of the game, art work, etc.
  3. Post your favorite non-canon content of SMRPG. Any fan works fall under this, though obviously keep it PG for the kiddos.
To lead by example:
  1. Since my top moment is Geno's arrival ("I serve...a higher authority!") I would say that the first time I accidentally discovered the Retro Mario easter egg just by simply exploring everything made me happy and really caught me off-guard. It's funny that, as a kid when NES Mario still wasn't really all that old, I found it pleasing to see that. May have been more first feeling of nostalgia in my life.
  2. Since my favorite is EASILY Fight Against An Armed Boss and you all have heard it a billion times, I'll go with my next one in line. It's a tough pick between Booster and his entire experience and Moleville as a whole, but I guess I'll have to pick Booster. He's just so wacky, and at first he feels evil but more and more over time you just realize he's sheltered and stupid. Personal favorite Booster moments are: him running the opposite way once the train rounds the corner, him being so overjoyed at getting his Mario doll back that he COMPLETELY IGNORES the fact that Mario is in his room and trying to take Toadstool away, and him being confused and saying Toadstool is 'leaking' ("Tastes salty!"). Moleville is really close though, with all the personality the little mining town has from the music to how even the town just has a different feel to it to the mine cart ride and the dialect of the moles. If a remake got made with voice acting, I'd be most excited for Moleville.
  3. This one is really hard to pick since I only know of art work and music, but I would have to say this remix that I found a couple days ago. You guys have to understand...I already subscribed to this guy called DJtheS for I feel like well over a year (maybe way longer) because he made this remix of Waluigi Pinball Course for Mario Kart DS and Wario World: Greenhorn Forest that was so godlike it deserved a sub. Years later (a couple days ago) I'm looking for SMRPG remixes, and it turns out he made this banger in 2016 that remixes both versions of Smithy's Theme AND BOFTW and it is BALLIN'! Other than that, all of our very own Duck Queen's ( Ovaltine Ovaltine for the newbies for don't know we call her Duck Queen [or I do at least]) art work is right up there. She's so freaking talented and I love it and it kinda makes me jealous as I can't draw like that, so I just enjoy what she makes instead.

1.) When the axem rangers show up
2.) Fight against an armed boss
3.) https://youtu.be/TnRuFqIGAD8

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dammit, I didn't know about that, what the hell man? Are there just that many corrupt people in the VA industry or what? Also, dammit dude, you were a legacy. Why do more and more people who I respect have to come out to be total asshats?

You are all well and good in being able to resent that statement, and you are also allowed to enjoy Sw/Sh. Just keep in mind two things, if you would.

1. Others are allowed to not want Sw/Sh or be upset with GameFreak's lack of caring about the mainline Pokemon franchise.
  2. If you purchase either or both titles first-hand, you are telling GameFreak you want more of the same.
1. Yeah obviously, I was messing around.
2. Thanks for the guilt trip bud.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
1. I always liked Mallow's storyline -- Mallow's actually my favorite character and one I feel like I can relate to. He struggles so much with his identity and finding the people who care about him and... he's just someone out there experiencing the big wide world and all of its wonders for the first time. He was always so endearing to me.

Geno's a very close second though.

2. The Gaz cutscene was always my favorite. Let's be real, it's probably the best cutscene in the game with the exception of maybe the Marrymore arc.

3. Loopylupe's comics are the next best thing to canon content in my eyes. If anybody makes a fan remake of the game, have her write the script. She is the martial arts Grand Master of SMRPG dialogue.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

1. Akechi (Joker)
2. Impa (Sheik)
3. Proto Man (Mega Man)
4. Dixie (Diddy Kong)
5. Ninten (Ness)
Disregarding spirits and everything else
1. Impa (Sheik)
2. Zack (Cloud)
3. Dixie Kong (Diddy)
4. Ninten (Ness)
5. Ms. Pacman (Pacman)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically, The Pokémon Company doesn't care about whether GameFreak should care about the mainline Pokémon franchise, but that's going into semantics at that point. I prefer the manga.

1. That gardener in Rose Town, you know the one.
  2. Where to start? I can't decide between the final gauntlet run of the factory, the Booster battle, the Magikoopa battle or Boshi.
  3. Anything that involves Geno interacting with Rosalina, but I have to say that Mr.Whatshisname/BridgeOfFaust's drawing is my personal favorite.

Last edited:

Loog

Smash Apprentice
So here is a question, does Square Enix own everything that was original to SMRPG or is it like they own like a certain percent? I've always been confused with that. If they wanted could they theoretically use Geno for whatever or would there be legal issues since he was created for a mario game?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So here is a question, does Square Enix own everything that was original to SMRPG or is it like they own like a certain percent? I've always been confused with that. If they wanted could they theoretically use Geno for whatever or would there be legal issues since he was created for a mario game?
They own the original characters, locales, and music. Everything else belongs to Nintendo. That said, they could technically use him for whatever but it would have to be totally outside the context of the Mario universe. In other words, the character would have to be hard rebooted to legally appear outside a Nintendo/Mario game.

D

Deleted member

My favorite moment? Well that's easy my favorite part of the game is right after the Smithy battle and when Geno says his farewell to his companions. It's really touching and sweet but if I can't choose that moment? uh, I gotta say that wish with Mallow and him wanting to not be such a crybaby that was also really touching and funny.

My favorite canon content of Super Mario RPG? Well it's the original characters and especially Geno! Geno and the gang are such interesting characters and their designs are so cool too. Mallow and Geno are so fascinating to me and Geno has a lot of potential for new games and delving deeper into his backstory and character arc. Otherwise? Well it's the Music obviously it's one of my favorite Video Game soundtracks ever and it has multiple songs that are absolute bops.

And finally my favorite fanmade content of Super Mario RPG? Well, The fanbase as a whole as you all are very talented and inspiring with how much you've all been hard at work and creating all these amazing remixes, Art pieces, Stories, Etc. but I guess that doesn't really count so my favorite Fan made content? It's the one, The only:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

To lead by example:

#Ward
I’m at wallmart atm, (Lider here in Chile), gonna answer that later

ZelDan

Smash Master
1. My favorite part of SMRPG is going through Bowser's Castle and the Weapon factory. All the boss fights, the variety of obstacles, the 6 doors challenge, getting all the strongest weapons that aren't the lazy Shell, etc. It might be one of my favorite final areas or gauntlets to go through in any game.

2. The characters are my favorite content I guess? SMRPG was the first game we saw Bowser and Mario team up, having Peach join in was awesome too, geno is probably one of the more unique and mysterious characters from the Marioverse, and I even really like Smithy, just because he was one of the first villains in the Mario franchise to feel like an actual serious threat, whereas before that it was just typical lady-stealing antics from Bowser or DK and a fat frog that was only in a dream anyways.

3. TBH I don't really expore SMRPG fan content as much as other people probably do. I will say I really like the whole idea of Geno being related to Rosalina, just because they're both cosmic entities related to stars.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Super Mario RPG kickstarted Bowser’s career of being the best character in Mario RPGs, and I am eternally grateful for that.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

1. Akechi (Joker)
2. Impa (Sheik)
3. Proto Man (Mega Man)
4. Dixie (Diddy Kong)
5. Ninten (Ness)

If I could pick anyone?

1. Bonkers (Dedede)
2. Zeraora (Lucario)
3. Viridi (Palutena)
4. Funky Kong (DK)
5. Hilda (Zelda) or Demise (Ganondorf) or really any zelda echo

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Part of the process is sticking to it through all the stuff you're unsatisfied with. It's absolutely vital that you keep a positive mindset, because you're never ever going to get to a point where you're satisfied with your work 100 percent of the time. So you persevere and improve. You can do it! There's a saying I've heard: you've got a thousand bad drawings in you before you get to a good one, so you just gotta keep on drawing until you get there! If you're in a funk, why not look at some exotic bugs or animals? Always look for reference to help inform your work, as it will help you get new ideas and draw them properly.
Thank you. It does help to hear that everyone experiences unsatisfactory art although having experienced that I certainly don't wish it on anyone. Usually looking at exotic Flora/fauna or Fakemon/Pokemon/creature designs and concepts does break me out of a funk so those are good suggestions its just that nothing is working lately. My friend and I actually discussed today just trying our hand at drawing something different and simpler like masks or more generic creatures to get ourselves out of the funk. I think it might work because the concept behind the masks is actually pretty cool so we're starting to get excited for it.

Also, totally unrelated to this but relevant to recent questions on the thread...my first experience with Geno was me playing through a friend's copy of Smrpg which came from him highly recommended. Ever since I played through the game it's been one of my enduring favorites for many reasons and Geno was always the character that stuck out to me and was my favorite to use in my party.

Also, also 5 echo fighters:
1. Captain Toad and Captain Toadette as a sort of echo of Ice Climbers
2. Shadow (Sonic) (more so because it would make a lot of people happy than any real connection I have to the character)
3. Protoman (MegaMan)
4. Ms Pacman (Pacman)
5. I really do like the idea of Booster (Wario) or Boshi (Yoshi) so...why not both?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I guess to share echo fighters I'd like:

1. Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong, ideally as a Ken/Chrom tier echo where she gets DK's recovery)
2. Impa (Sheik)
3. Jeanne (Bayonetta)
4. Proto Man (Mega Man)
5. Medusa (Palutena)...maybe. It'd be cool to get medusa, but I do wonder if she'd work as an echo.

I guess I'll add that, had Isaac been made playable, a Felix echo to go along with him would have been dope, but alas...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom