• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I know we are really dead set on talking about stuff about leaks right now, but since it hasn't been going well in that department, I've got a distraction.

I want you to do three things:
  1. Tell me your favorite moment in SMRPG. If it has anything to do with Geno, list the next one down that doesn't involve him directly.
  2. Post your favorite canon content of SMRPG. If it's Geno, post your second favorite. Characters, music, sections of the game, art work, etc.
  3. Post your favorite non-canon content of SMRPG. Any fan works fall under this, though obviously keep it PG for the kiddos.
1: Finding the secret boss with Culex was up there for sure. I thought that was just an urban legend, lol. (I was a dumb **** when I first played the game, don't judge)
2: Bowser's modern day personality. I'm not sure it really counts, but it does for me, since it's inseperable from Bowser now for me
3: With Big Shells and Wings. This isn't specifically a Super Mario RPG fanfic, but Geno has a large role in it, so I'll count it anyways, and besides, holy **** I love this fanifc. (I just remembered the name right now thinking about my answer to this question, glad it's a semi-relevant answer to a question for once). It starts off as a comedy, but slowly morphs into one of the most badass thrillers I've ever read in my life. The characterization, action, and comedic timing are all brilliant, it's a real hidden gem.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Took a look at Sabi’s Tweet that’s been posted and she confirms it’s not Smash Related, per her response to some comments. Also the hint is monsters ... so it’s certainly Pokémon thing tomorrow. If I see a starling Pokémon....
Did she specifically say that the Starling pic was for Pokemon? I kind of doubt it considering the source's opinions on Sword and Shield but I kind of want images of said confirmation because that sounds so out of place out loud.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I know I've said this before but I'm gonna reword myself here. I feel it would plain wrong to not include Geno in this Smash Bros title. This is the ULTIMATE Smash Bros and considering we got K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie, Geno is next in line for S-Tier requested fighters. They could always disappoint like they did with Isaac fans (sorry about that, you guys), but something about this is bizarre. Notice how almost every character in this game (save for Big the Cat and Fish Flower) was a hype reveal to some degree:
•Every veteran returns (huge deal)
•Inkling (big first-party rep)
•Daisy (well requested echo)
•Ridley (1 of currently 3 S-Tier dream picks)
•The Belmonts (well requested and respected platformer protagonists)
•Chrom (fan popularity got him in)
•Dark Samus (well requested echo)
•K Rool (#2 S-Tier dream pick)
•Isabelle (popular first party character)
•Ken (popular rep for an echo)
•Joker (popular JRPG character to a degree)
•Hero (basically the definition of a popular JRPG protagonist)
•Banjo & Kazooie (#3 S-Tier dream pick)

My point is that we're getting BIG characters, so to truly make it Ultimate, they're going to need some big picks to finish off the Pass. There's a few characters that I think even remotely stand up to that level of expectation. It isn't guaranteed but it's pretty likely that the last two fighters could easily consist of Geno, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, or some other really big character. Geno's chances are easily one of the best for the roster, imo.
You say that and forget that they put Piranha Plant in after deconfirming many fan requested characters like it was nothing. If this was truly Ultimate that should be filled with the most requested then Piranha Plant would never be considered, yet there it is. You got to realize that Sakurai doesn't see it how majority of the fans see it. He thinks that if the characters is just mentioned then it's all bloody great, but that's not the case. Sakurai just doesn't care, so making the argument argument that this game wouldn't feel like Ultimate when Piranha Plant is playable while Isaac, Waluigi, Bomberman, Dixie Kong, Ashley, ARMS, Saki, Shadow, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Chibi Robo, Rex, Elma, Krystal, Takamaru, and Bandana Waddle Dee are all dead in a ditch.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Took a look at Sabi’s Tweet that’s been posted and she confirms it’s not Smash Related, per her response to some comments. Also the hint is monsters ... so it’s certainly Pokémon thing tomorrow. If I see a starling Pokémon....
Reminder this Tweet exists so..

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I would absolutely love a remaster / remake of Super Mario RPG, that retains all gameplay and story elements of the original, but expands and fleshes our the world much more. Adding new locations and quests to the maps would be fantastic.

I would prefer the game to remain turn based, but in this current climate, they would make it an action RPG. I’m only ok with an action RPG if they make the world extremely polished and full of platforming, where you can control each character individually. Would be awesome to run around the maps as Mario, Mallow, Geno, Toadstool and Bowser.

Unless, Square-Enix collaborates with Intelligent Systems to make a Paper Mario style remake, which would be cool too.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Man, I wish I could draw.
Gonna stop you right there, chief, because you can! all you gotta do is find the will to practice! Doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out good right away. Just have fun with it!
That monster idea is pretty cool! I'd say run with it. It's looking like we're gonna be here a while, so might as well pick up a skill, yeah?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You say that and forget that they put Piranha Plant in after deconfirming many fan requested characters like it was nothing. If this was truly Ultimate that should be filled with the most requested then Piranha Plant would never be considered, yet there it is. You got to realize that Sakurai doesn't see it how majority of the fans see it. He thinks that if the characters is just mentioned then it's all bloody great, but that's not the case. Sakurai just doesn't care, so making the argument argument that this game wouldn't feel like Ultimate when Piranha Plant is playable while Isaac, Waluigi, Bomberman, Dixie Kong, Ashley, ARMS, Saki, Shadow, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Chibi Robo, Rex, Elma, Krystal, Takamaru, and Bandana Waddle Dee are all dead in a ditch.
Ok, listen here, bud. I never said the entire roster was fan favorites. I specifically said that before listing off that stuff. I never said the game was perfect and, fun fact, Incineroar and Piranha Plant were Sakurai's personal choices. It's only fair he gets to pick over Decidueye or something else. Those assist trophies are well requested but you can see a huge difference in popularity between K Rool, Banjo, Ridley, and Geno when they're on tons of fan polls and request videos. Isaac, sorry to say this and I'm sure he is popular, but I have almost never seen him on previously mentioned polls or videos as much as these other characters. Geno sets a completely different bar when the head honcho straight up talks about wanting him on two separate occasions. THAT'S why it wouldn't feel Ultimate. So don't try and spit on the obvious because, Mr Realistic Pessimism, we are going to get two more heavy duty characters because no one is going to want to buy Gex and Bubsy if they haven't already bought the pass. So maybe you should open your eyes and actually read what I said next time.

In the words of a great chef: "Get served."

Bonus: You want me to go over the assist trophies too while I'm at it? I will certainly go through each and every one if I have to get a point-and-click to work on your conscious.

I apologise if that sounds aggressive but your argument has no ground because you skimmed through the statement. Learn to debate better, dude.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Ok, listen here, bud. I never said the entire roster was fan favorites. I specifically said that before listing off that stuff. I never said the game was perfect and, fun fact, Incineroar and Piranha Plant were Sakurai's personal choices. It's only fair he gets to pick over Decidueye or something else. Those assist trophies are well requested but you can see a huge difference in popularity between K Rool, Banjo, Ridley, and Geno when they're on tons of fan polls and request videos. Isaac, sorry to say this and I'm sure he is popular, but I have almost never seen him on previously mentioned polls or videos as much as these other characters. Geno sets a completely different bar when the head honcho straight up talks about wanting him on two separate occasions. THAT'S why it wouldn't feel Ultimate. So don't try and spit on the obvious because, Mr Realistic Pessimism, we are going to get two more heavy duty characters because no one is going to want to buy Gex and Bubsy if they haven't already bought the pass. So maybe you should open your eyes and actually read what I said next time.

In the words of a great chef: "Get served."

Bonus: You want me to go over the assist trophies too while I'm at it? I will certainly go through each and every one if I have to get a point-and-click to work on your conscious.

I apologise if that sounds aggressive but your argument has no ground because you skimmed through the statement. Learn to debate better, dude.
I would unironically buy gex, but that's because I have bad taste in video games :reverse:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
if Gex has his really outdated pop culture references then consider me sold
Did the crab relate to crabs in links awakening? And if so are there any other starlings in any other game
Crabs are the first enemy encountered in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ok, clearly you guys enjoy Gex. Let me change it to Glover. That or Buck Bumble.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can someone tell me why this guy would hint at Starly, a Pokemon no one even talks about? When he hinted at BANJO and a Link's Awakening remake? That's not happening lmao, cmon. If it's Pokemon related it's something way more important
My main thought is that if it's not Pokemon related, the "star" aspect is probably important. When it comes to Nintendo franchises, the main two where stars are noteworthy iconography are Mario and Kirby. My next thought following that is, if it's a Mario or Kirby game, why did it miss E3? Both are huge franchises for Nintendo so it's weird that they'd miss the boat entirely, especially now that the 3DS is essentially "retired." I also feel like it's kind of early for a new big Kirby and especially Mario game so it kind of hits a dead end here... Yes, there's also "Star" Fox but there's so many better ways to hint at that (there's literally four specific animals as immediate go tos) and it touches on the exact same thing, why did it miss E3?

One of the most prevalent theories I've heard regarding Smash aside from Geno is that it's S.T.A.R.S from Resident Evil but we have to remember that supposedly the hint is meant to be deliberate. If that's the case, it's not a catch all for Resident Evil but rather the specific team. Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield, major reoccuring characters in the series, are the most important members of this team. It's unlikely that it would be a composite character. Unlike male and female Corrin/Robin, they have very different body types so it would have to be one or the other and I have a hard time seeing this. This would honestly be kind of weird because Leon is significantly more popular and, again, him being an ALT of Chris really wouldn't work. Either way, I think it's a roundabout way to hint at this. I feel like there would be better hints for Resident Evil that aren't dead giveaways while having some knowledge of Resident Evil. A heart used in a Valentine, for example, would still be ambiguous while not being as spoon on nose obvious as, say, a zombie. While esoteric, the blue crab was a specific thing in Link's Awakening. Yes, Geno would be simple wordplay but it's still pretty straightforward in my opinion. Starling ---- Star ---- Geno's literally a star. Like I said weeks ago, it's wordplay to a smirk worthy degree but, again, this is the same guy who posted a literal bird and bear for Banjo Kazooie. Just some lingering thoughts on how it COULD be Geno, not that it necessarily is.

Dynamic Worlok

My main thought is that if it's not Pokemon related, the "star" aspect is probably important. When it comes to Nintendo franchises, the main two where stars are noteworthy iconography are Mario and Kirby. My next thought following that is, if it's a Mario or Kirby game, why did it miss E3? Both are huge franchises for Nintendo so it's weird that they'd miss the boat entirely, especially now that the 3DS is essentially "retired." I also feel like it's kind of early for a new big Kirby and especially Mario game so it kind of hits a dead end here... Yes, there's also "Star" Fox but there's so many better ways to hint at that (there's literally four specific animals as immediate go tos) and it touches on the exact same thing, why did it miss E3?

One of the most prevalent theories I've heard regarding Smash aside from Geno is that it's S.T.A.R.S from Resident Evil but we have to remember that supposedly the hint is meant to be deliberate. If that's the case, it's not a catch all for Resident Evil but rather the specific team. Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield, major reoccuring characters in the series, are the most important members of this team. It's unlikely that it would be a composite character. Unlike male and female Corrin/Robin, they have very different body types so it would have to be one or the other and I have a hard time seeing this. This would honestly be kind of weird because Leon is significantly more popular and, again, him being an ALT of Chris really wouldn't work. Either way, I think it's a roundabout way to hint at this. I feel like there would be better hints for Resident Evil that aren't dead giveaways while having some knowledge of Resident Evil. A heart used in a Valentine, for example, would still be ambiguous while not being as spoon on nose obvious as, say, a zombie. While esoteric, the blue crab was a specific thing in Link's Awakening. Yes, Geno would be simple wordplay but it's still pretty straightforward in my opinion. Starling ---- Star ---- Geno's literally a star. Like I said weeks ago, it's wordplay to a smirk worthy degree but, again, this is the same guy who posted a literal bird and bear for Banjo Kazooie. Just some lingering thoughts on how it COULD be Geno, not that it necessarily is.
I can think of a good hint for leon, but I'm pretty sure the board rules would prevent me from sharing :mybodyisreggie:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree here. Kirby already had Star Allies DLC continue into this year and the 3DS port of one of his older games. That, and Mario already had New Super Mario Bros U plus the upcoming Luigi's Mansion 3. The only logical conclusion I can come to is Smash related since RE is a third party title and unless if Sabi's source is a fan, I don't think that's
it either.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, don't diss Glover. After all, he's been in Smash since the first game and is the quintessential final boss each time. Come on, now.

:4pacman:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So how we feelin about Geno’s chances?
50/50.

Geno's missed the axe in two significant ways so far: not being an assist trophy and not being a Mii costume. Considering the sheer number of fan favorite characters that were made playable, assist trophies, and Mii costumes, I feel something is up. I'll go more into this later but my mind's currently occupied...

Tonight might wind up being a good night not for Smash fans but Nintendo fans. Don't know if it relates to the starling but Sabi's potentially on the cusp of a few bombshells. I'd definitely keep an eye on her Twitter in the coming hours.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I know who Glover is, but what is it with everyone talking about Smash Bros. and him?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Is there not a character from a really bad game that I can say without somebody liking them, lol? How about I say the Noid? Cool Spot?

D

Deleted member

Well, I know who Glover is, but what is it with everyone talking about Smash Bros. and him?
Cause you've accidentally stepped into the Glover for Smash support thread of course! What else did you think this is? Geno or something? :4pacman:
Is there not a character from a really bad game that I can say without somebody liking them, lol? How about I say the Noid? Cool Spot?
Hey don't diss my boy The Noid alright? He's the quintessential Dominos mascot.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ummmm hey...Cool Spot fan here :4pacman:

EDIT: In all seriousness, this gave me a question for y'all. What is some underrated video game music? For me it is Double Dragon Neon. If you love cheesy 80's sounding music, boy do I have some music for you!
Really interested to see what unfolds after Pokemon.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Old Domino's Pizza mascot; had a NES game for some reason.
I knew about that Noid. I just didn't know he had a game. If his game was bad, I guess we had to Avoid the Noid?

Yeah, I see the door to my left.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
50/50.

Geno's missed the axe in two significant ways so far: not being an assist trophy and not being a Mii costume. Considering the sheer number of fan favorite characters that were made playable, assist trophies, and Mii costumes, I feel something is up. I'll go more into this later but my mind's currently occupied...

Tonight might wind up being a good night not for Smash fans but Nintendo fans. Don't know if it relates to the starling but Sabi's potentially on the cusp of a few bombshells. I'd definitely keep an eye on her Twitter in the coming hours.
Add in: Maybe not... Seems to be a, uh, log jam of sorts.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Add in: Maybe not... Seems to be a, uh, log jam of sorts.
Leaks, log jams... You'd think this wouldn't happen with the company that owns Mario. :p

That said, hm. Maybe there might be stuff after the Pokemon goodies tomorrow. Maybe then she'll be able to wiggle into some Good Beans.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
I mean If he didn't we wouldn't have Banjo plus smash wouldn't be smash if we only got fan favorites in my opinion.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
Noid discussion is not something I was expecting tonight or ever really but uh
please consider playing Yo! Noid 2: Enter the Void sometime it's stupid good/really well made for a jokey game made in like a month for a gamejam and there's an entire button dedicated to dabbing which you may consider either a bonus or a detriment

...I also have entirely too much knowledge about unloved/forgotten game mascots if you need some examples

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It likely means that there were complications/possible delays in getting the info
Well Sabi said on Twitter that she would find out in a few hours from now (2 hours ago). Did that change? If so, it must be really sudden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom