• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Idk fellas, i dont feel like anything is gonna be revealed at evo.
I would be fine to wait more for Geno news if
they announced a new MvC and revealed Ash Williams for MK11
But yeah, the cool thing would be to see Geno at EVO too.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Thinking about it, EVO actually could be a really, really good place to announce Geno, though I also wouldn’t be too worried if nothing happens, either.

EVO is practically guaranteed to be the largest potential audience of people who have actually heard of the character, since it’s going to be mostly the hardcore, competitive audience watching instead of the more casual one.

If they have a character announcement for EVO, the best choices would either be a character largely wanted by that more hardcore fanbase, or specifically a fighting game character. And while the latter is certainly possible, with the costume’s surprising absence only a few days ago and the quite odd music takedowns, I have hope that we’ll be seeing the former.

Still, though, getting nothing at EVO wouldn’t be that shocking, especially with Hero’s release being so close to it. Either way, we’ll certainly know in a few days.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Best to keep expectations in check. Not denying there could be something at EVO, but better to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised than to expect something and be disappointed.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Idk fellas, i dont feel like anything is gonna be revealed at evo.
Almost half of the games at EVO have been leaked having something announced to their respected game. I am on the side of wait and see, but that, at least to me, is kind of compelling.
Not saying expect something, just keep it in mind.

D

Deleted member

Best to keep expectations in check. Not denying there could be something at EVO, but better to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised than to expect something and be disappointed.
Yeah, I would be fine anyway if I got one of the other 2 unrelated reveals I mentioned.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Source Gaming just tweeted about the following featured content. It's a good watch. :')

Does Source Gaming have some insider info? I seem to recall them debunking leaks that ended up being fake and they supported ones that ended up real. So it's interesting that they would tweet a video about Geno.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I apologize. I realize I should have worded this better. To be fair, it should have been very clear that this was nothing more than an opinion and one that I actually want to change. Which is why I asked for help understanding what would make Steve so special in Smash. Your comment literally only makes me want him less because it was unhelpful and rude in return. But I deserved that so I'm not gonna go overboard about it.

I respect Minecraft and think that it does deserve to have a spot somehow in gaming's biggest crossover but struggle to imagine how Steve is the best way for that to happen. So I took some time to help myself a little since no one could actually answer my question and while I still have Steve as a bottom of the bucket kind of pick for me personally I respect him more after I started thinking about what could make him unique other than his appearance because a pickaxe sure ain't gonna do the trick in Smash. Here's my main takeaway:

Minecraft is all about building so what if Steve had a mechanic where he could place blocks on the field that were destructible but each block was random and had different properties? Like lava, obsidian, metal, diamond, ice, sand, dirt, wood, etc and basically had a sort of health bar in order to remove it from the field. Of course there would have to be some kind of limit to how many of these he could place to keep it feasible. He could also use blocks for some of his attacks like a forward smash like villagers where he drops a block on your head. Blocks would mainly be used for disrupting opponent movement options and projectiles and such. That certainly would make him very unique and not boring in my opinion.

See I need thoughts like these. Do you have any of these kinds of ideas that will better help me understand Steve as a unique option as a fighter in Smash even if they're just links to places where people are posting stuff about this kind of stuff? These are the kind of thoughts I need. I do not need blanket statements. Those will not help me understand Steve's viability as a fighter. If you don't get why it's hard to understand that he's not boring then you should be able to provide a discourse regarding this subject.
Steve could use many things from Minecraft, so here are some examples:

-He could place a limited number of blocks vertically or horizontally, but must start from the stage/a platform, with the blocks being breakable but resistant, and they’d disappear after some time.

-He could use his tools and weapons as normal attacks, and maybe even certain blocks and other items; I saw a neat idea where he could use a chest as his F-Tilt, which would open up and shut, and could absorb projectiles while open.

-Some other ideas: could take everyone to The End and get attacked by the ender dragon for his FS or potentially take them to the Nether and summon the Wither, could use an ender pearl as his up special, could use a minecart as a side special, TNT as his D air, a dispenser as his F air, and a multitude of other stuff. His down special, if they were to give him a resource gimmick or even without one, could be him spending a bit of time at a crafting table to upgrade his tools and give himself armor for a while; they could make his arms move to show him working, and maybe his arms could hit and damage opponents if they were to get in the way by standing on the crafting table. A potential up throw could be him using a piston, or maybe it could be a side throw.

Some taunts I’ve seen others make for him:

-He could put on a Creeper head for a second and hiss while wearing it.

-A bed could poof behind him and he’d fall asleep on it for a moment.

-Munch on a random piece of food.

-A random friendly mob could appear, such as a pig or a fox, and move around him for a moment with him trying to look; it’d poof and disappear afterwards.

Steve could also emote, even without Minecraft Dungeons; make his eyes wide when he’s launched, they can make his movements in the air and some attacks expressive even with stiff limbs, and he can blink the same way mobs do in Minecraft Earth. His pupils could also move from left to right in some animations if they want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With this talk about EVO, maybe I can talk about the dumb dream I had last night:

I was at EVO, everything seemed to be normal there.... but almost close to the time when the Smash tourney began, some kind of march started and some weird version of this song was being played by the members of the march which talked about Geno:
Then, Sakurai appeared alongside a Geno puppet on the stage of Ultimate’s tourney to reveal a Geno eShop shadowdrop later that day.

I woke up with the biggest WTF face I had in days.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does Source Gaming have some insider info? I seem to recall them debunking leaks that ended up being fake and they supported ones that ended up real. So it's interesting that they would tweet a video about Geno.
I can confirm that they do but it's kind of a mixed bag and they don't like to blast it, especially after the "Hero incident" earlier this year.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Source Gaming just tweeted about the following featured content. It's a good watch. :')

This was good! Pretty much perfectly encapsulated the geno hype, I feel

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
It's easy to say that EVO is the perfect time to reveal a new character when there are so few events left in the year that get the same level of attention, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. They have their own platform for announcing news that already gets a ton of visibility (Nintendo Direct) while also giving them the freedom to strategically time announcements and do things on their own terms. They kinda don't need something like EVO.

I'd love to be wrong because the info drought sucks and ideally all the fighters in the pass should be revealed as early as possible, but I don't think we're hearing about Fighter #4 just yet.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't think EVO is too far out of the way for them to tease Character 4 for the Fighter's Pass. I'm still not convinced over a bonus character just due to how the CSS is laid out.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't think EVO is too far out of the way for them to tease Character 4 for the Fighter's Pass. I'm still not convinced over a bonus character just due to how the CSS is laid out.
What do you mean your convinced because of the CSS?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What do you mean your convinced because of the CSS?
The character select screen minus Mii Fighters is a perfect Square like it was in Smash 4 and Brawl. It just seems really tough to consider we are getting more then two characters unless they make the character boxes scaled down even more.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Apropos of nothing, what with the conspiracy that sakurai might not have included the geno costume to temporarily avoid hero backlash, it makes me want to see a Photoshop of sakurai wearing bane's mask, captioned with: "I will poison their minds with hope and watch them scramble over each other to stay in the light"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really think it's too soon given the weird time gaps of announcements in the past. The gap between Mewtwo and Lucas was about 5 months, 2 and a half from there to Roy and Ryu, about another five from there until Cloud and then less than a month before Corrin and Bayo. For Ultimate, PP and Joker were only about a month apart and then it was roughly 6 months until Hero and Banjo. Then comes the wait times for characters after their announcements:

Mewtwo: about 5 months
Lucas: 2 and a half
Roy and Ryu: that same day
Cloud: less than a month
Corrin and Bayo: about a month and a half

PP: roughly 3
Joker: roughly 5
Hero: about a month and a half

If something were announced post EVO, it would only be a week off from the two month mark so it would still actually be longer than the shortest time gaps between DLC character announcements.

Firox

Smash Master
Man, what I wouldn't do for a good leak right now. And not the stupid, ambiguous, fuzzy screen pic kind, but someone reputable to just nut up and give us something specific like "DLC #4 drop at EVO" or "The wait for Geno is soon at an end". I know how controversial that would be, but the suspense is just killing me.

And to SSguy's point, yeah, that character select screen is getting mighty crowded. lol I wonder if they'd do what they did with the 3DS version and make a separate select screen just for all the DLC characters.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The character select screen minus Mii Fighters is a perfect Square like it was in Smash 4 and Brawl. It just seems really tough to consider we are getting more then two characters unless they make the character boxes scaled down even more.
Whoops, I read that wrong, I thought you were saying you were convinced of a bonus because of the CSS.

Yeah, both the Stage Selection and Character Selection screens are extremely well laid out for the remainder of the Fighter's Pass content and nothing else (as is the DLC Spirit Board content). While it's not impossible to change those later down the line, it really speaks to how much they had DLC in mind while developing the base game from an aesthetic standpoint. I don't know, it always seemed pretty clear that the first year of DLC was just extremely well planned out all around and Nintendo is sticking to that plan until February.

I don't really think it's too soon given the weird time gaps of announcements in the past. The gap between Mewtwo and Lucas was about 5 months, 2 and a half from there to Roy and Ryu, about another five from there until Cloud and then less than a month before Corrin and Bayo. For Ultimate, PP and Joker were only about a month apart and then it was roughly 6 months until Hero and Banjo. Then comes the wait times for characters after their announcements:

Mewtwo: about 5 months
Lucas: 2 and a half
Roy and Ryu: that same day
Cloud: less than a month
Corrin and Bayo: about a month and a half

PP: roughly 3
Joker: roughly 5
Hero: about a month and a half

If something were announced post EVO, it would only be a week off from the two month mark so it would still actually be longer than the shortest time gaps between DLC character announcements.
Some of that weirdness was because of the 3DS as Sakurai mentioned in his book. He had a limited number of "updates" to work with on 3DS, so they had to do things in a very specific way. Not to mention, a little under half the DLC was cut veterans which are still arguably much less involved than full newcomers with stages and they weren't worried about the additional content and also not rolling out major content updates for free. We're probably not getting Banjo & Kazooie til October (hits right in the middle of fall, and well after the craziness of September in the gap in the first three weeks of October), so I just don't see them jumping the gun when they have the yearly September Direct to announce a fighter. We won't be getting #4 until pretty much the end of the year, so it just has always seemed like a more logical route to go September Direct instead of EVO.

I also really think all we're getting from EVO and Smash is that Hero released the week of the tournament. It's a very Nintendo thing to do to have their own release separate from EVO and consider it part of the EVO festivities.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
TBH, I always preferred Steve to Banjo. I grew up with Minecraft, and I think Steve is iconic and has amazing moveset potential. Never grew up with Banjo as a kid, I always just saw it as a weird alternative to Mario 64.

That being said, i’m totally fine with Banjo (the worst case scenario for me wouldve been neither Steve or Banjo get in)

But, I guess i’ve always been more of a Steve and Geno guy, compared to Banjo and Sora

D

Deleted member

I think that something could happen at EVO regarding Nintendo.

If it isn’t Geno, it may be a Direct reveal. If it isn’t that, maybe a surprise title or unexpected port announcement.

But Nintendo may reveal something.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Man, what I wouldn't do for a good leak right now. And not the stupid, ambiguous, fuzzy screen pic kind, but someone reputable to just nut up and give us something specific like "DLC #4 drop at EVO" or "The wait for Geno is soon at an end". I know how controversial that would be, but the suspense is just killing me.
Even if there is a fighter I am kind of doubting it would get leaked. I think Nintendo wants to hide that fact as much as possible, if they made it to where no insider knew what was in Sakurai's presentation, than I doubt they can know what's at EVO. If we do get a leak, it's probably last second

link2702

Smash Champion
It would also make sense to announce something soon since they do have a time frame to meet, all dlc was supposed to be announced and out by 2020, I’m sure they were shooting for somewhere around feb to have all of it done...

StarLight42

Smash Lord
What does that Source Gaming retweet even mean? It means literally nothing. It’s just a fun video about speculation and hype. A bit strange they chose Geno over Banjo though, when Banjo followed many of the same “grrr irrelevant!!” tropes but yet now is confirmed.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Steve could use many things from Minecraft, so here are some examples:

-He could place a limited number of blocks vertically or horizontally, but must start from the stage/a platform, with the blocks being breakable but resistant, and they’d disappear after some time.

-He could use his tools and weapons as normal attacks, and maybe even certain blocks and other items; I saw a neat idea where he could use a chest as his F-Tilt, which would open up and shut, and could absorb projectiles while open.

-Some other ideas: could take everyone to The End and get attacked by the ender dragon for his FS or potentially take them to the Nether and summon the Wither, could use an ender pearl as his up special, could use a minecart as a side special, TNT as his D air, a dispenser as his F air, and a multitude of other stuff. His down special, if they were to give him a resource gimmick or even without one, could be him spending a bit of time at a crafting table to upgrade his tools and give himself armor for a while; they could make his arms move to show him working, and maybe his arms could hit and damage opponents if they were to get in the way by standing on the crafting table. A potential up throw could be him using a piston, or maybe it could be a side throw.

Some taunts I’ve seen others make for him:

-He could put on a Creeper head for a second and hiss while wearing it.

-A bed could poof behind him and he’d fall asleep on it for a moment.

-Munch on a random piece of food.

-A random friendly mob could appear, such as a pig or a fox, and move around him for a moment with him trying to look; it’d poof and disappear afterwards.

Steve could also emote, even without Minecraft Dungeons; make his eyes wide when he’s launched, they can make his movements in the air and some attacks expressive even with stiff limbs, and he can blink the same way mobs do in Minecraft Earth. His pupils could also move from left to right in some animations if they want.
Thank you! These help.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It would also make sense to announce something soon since they do have a time frame to meet, all dlc was supposed to be announced and out by 2020, I’m sure they were shooting for somewhere around feb to have all of it done...
Nintendo has around six months and more than half of the pass is already revealed. They are hardly pressed for time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nintendo has around six months and more than half of the pass is already revealed. They are hardly pressed for time.
They're running out of potential opportunities to reveal the last two characters of the Fighter Pass however. EVO aside, the only ones they have left to work with are the general Direct in September, the Game Awards, or a potential final Smash Direct like they did for 4.

D

Deleted member

I could see them at worst just revealing themselves a Switch port of a new title announced at EVO.

Mostly since Nintendo did reveal something last year: the Smash Direct for Castlevania.

Doh you are right about Nintendo not being pressured by time right now.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
They’re not really pressured by time, but DLC 4 is okay to be announced now, Joker was announced like 4 months before he was released

D

Deleted member

They’re not really pressured by time, but DLC 4 is okay to be announced now, Joker was announced like 4 months before he was released
Yeah, a reveal isn’t granted but it isn’t a bad time to have one either.

We just need to wait and see what happens at EVO, and try to stay calm if nothing regarding Fighter 4 or Geno happens.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I think my ideal Geno leak would be a reputable source going, "HOLY ♥♪!?"

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So far though, all three fighter's pass characters have only been revealed at special events, and all that's really left this year is EVO and the VGA's again.

StarLight42

Smash Lord

This one seems fake solely based on them using Geno right after his lack of a Mii Costume announcement

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
They're running out of potential opportunities to reveal the last two characters of the Fighter Pass however. EVO aside, the only ones they have left to work with are the general Direct in September, the Game Awards, or a potential final Smash Direct like they did for 4.
I don't really see how they can be running out of opportunities when they can literally create those opportunities whenever they want. The September Direct and the TGAs are two consistent places they could reveal stuff about Smash at... but at any point they can just make a Direct, or hell, just do another Lucina/Robin type trailer drop.

D

Deleted member

I don't really see how they can be running out of opportunities when they can literally create those opportunities whenever they want. The September Direct and the TGAs are two consistent places they could reveal stuff about Smash at... but at any point they can just make a Direct, or hell, just do another Lucina/Robin type trailer drop.
I totally can see a Fighter reveal happening on a Direct instead of the Game Awards again, ngl.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

This one seems fake solely based on them using Geno right after his lack of a Mii Costume announcement
Street Fighter 5 instantly makes this fake. E Honda is the only character right there. Poison and Lucia are the other new characters there.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m expecting them to announce a special video thing a la Robin and Lucina or a Direct if anything at all. They did announce the August Smash Direct at EVO last year, and they have some involvement once again, so I wouldn’t put it past them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, at least the SFV leak is useful for ratting out anyone trying to psych other 4Chan goers.

Folks currently pigeonhole things into "BIG reveals must happen at BIG events", due to Joker, Hero and BK all getting revealed that way, so the current general assumption is that things are done differently from 4. Granted, Japan only got a regular trailer for Joker, but still. I just used a bird-related term by accident, didn't I.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom