• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, consider this scenario here.

>Nintendo: Let's go to EVO, the biggest fighting game event of the year, where millions will be attending and watching, our competitors and other fighting games are there, and let's NOT reveal any of our upcoming characters because we're too busy preparing.

Now, tell me, which part of this doesn't make any sense?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This feels like how the Banjo thread was going leading up to E3. It's kinda eerie.
I get what you mean. Even before we got confirmation from Shinobi and the likes, there was a swell of optimism and hopefulness.

Although, it would be nice to get a Shinobi text.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
People argue that there's no need to reveal #4 at a major event or close following but it could just as easily be argued for Joker and Hero too. They both could have easily been in Directs but they didn't because they wanted the maximum fan reaction they could get. Again, I used to chide Hero for "being a bad reveal at the biggest Western gaming convention" but they did it anyways because they wanted that bigass stage for the character. I also really don't put it past Nintendo to show #5 at the VGAs again so they're just going to do one in a plainass Direct? Nintendo's made a big ol' deal at the fact that there's only 5 and wOoOoO wHo CoUlD tHeY pOSsIBlY BeEeEeE so why not give all of them a big platform?
I see what you're getting at but I don't consider the circumstances to be the same here. Joker's reveal at the VGAs coincided with the game's release just a few short hours after the fact. E3 is, well, E3.

Both are huge events that Nintendo has consistently used for major announcements to the point where fans actively expect to see Nintendo news at both shows. You can't say the same thing about EVO.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I see what you're getting at but I don't consider the circumstances to be the same here. Joker's reveal at the VGAs coincided with the game's release just a few short hours after the fact. E3 is, well, E3.

Both are huge events that Nintendo has consistently used for major announcements to the point where fans actively expect to see Nintendo news at both shows. You can't say the same thing about EVO.
Except last year they had an announcement for a direct and this year Nintendo has a greater presence at the tournament itself aside from just being a sponsor.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Other than the fact that they have had Smash announcements regarding EVO both Smash 4 and Ultimate era when it came to newcomers but, you know, you can't say the same thing about EVO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Note that the fighters pass says they will be adding these people till Feburary of 2020. This lines up with how Bayonetta and Corrin worked. We're going to know who 4 and 5 are long before then I'm sure of it.
This. I always read it as a personal deadline rather than a definitive deadline. Sakurai's recent comments about being "way ahead of schedule" make me consider that they may even wrap up by the end of the year.

link2702

Smash Champion

The thing is though, those are events where it’s primarily casual smash fans watching along with the hardcore fans. Evo is an event which is almost exclusively watched by the hardcore/competitive smash fans, the ones most likely to know about by now, and want geno (aside from maybe some really hardcore smrpg fans who might not be big smash competitive fans)

It makes sense to drop a character here who’s maybe not necessarily a huge gaming icon the likes of hero, but a smash fan favorite.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Expecting major Nintendo announcements at the VGAs was basically a meme up until Joker last year. The word “consistent” is the absolute last word I would use to describe Nintendo’s history of announcements at the VGAs.

I’ll never forget the one year they hyped up the fact that Cranky Kong was going to be playable in Tropical Freeze.

E3 is consistent. VGAs are inconsistent. Evo basically never got anything until last year, but that could be a sign of things to come (depending on what happens Sunday) as competitive gaming becomes slowly but surely more accepted/supported by Nintendo.

I wish I could be as confident as some of you guys, who think Geno is 100% in
I think I can safely speak for everyone in this thread when I say no one here thinks Geno is 100% in. Lots of positivity =\= certainty. Lot’s of people mistake positivity with being delusional in this thread.

Last edited:

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
I thought that overall it was a good video that brought up a lot of great points! That said, I thought it was strange that they used the fact that Geno is a side character as a point of contention when compared to Ridley and K. Rool when characters like Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, and Ashley oftentimes rank pretty highly among fan requests as well.

Also the way things were framed made it seem like when people try to figure out why others hype Geno they’re usually underwhelmed and annoyed. And while I know that accounts for some people I feel like it could have been mentioned that there are quite a lot of people who look up the character and SMRPG because of Smash speculation and end up getting really into him. I mean you don’t end up in the top 10 to top 3 places in fan polls for wanted newcomers just by only maintaining a small group of niche fans and alienating everyone else.
This is a valid point, and ultimately one that comes as the result of heavily condensing details for the sake of time. My videos are designed to set up the minimum amount of groundwork possible to understand my analyses, so I do end up skirting details or using broad generalizations to get a basic point across. You'll notice, for instance, that I never mention that Geno is a 3rd party character. While not an insignificant detail, I omitted it because the narrative of "very out-there character request that's developed enormous popularity against the odds" is still conveyed without it.

So yes, I do simplify things and leave out details to get to the points I want to make. I'm glad though that you're able to fill in those gaps yourself for a more thorough understanding of the situation. :bee:

Source Gaming just tweeted about the following featured content. It's a good watch. :')

Damn that was fantastic
Oh my God... This video was brilliant but I was not emotionally prepared for the Velveteen Rabbit paired with Rosalina's storytime or the ending. Guys... You have to watch this video... It absolutely nails what this fanbase is about.
That was a fantastic watch. It puts a lot of things into perspective after letting it sink in afterwards.

Also @MisterMike glad I was not the only one that was thinking that!

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice that was one of the earliest books I read as a kid. What an incredible comparison and yeah, was not ready for that, man.
My God, this video totally gets it
This was good! Pretty much perfectly encapsulated the geno hype, I feel
Anyone else cry at the Velveteen Rabbit meaning? How what one person sees as a lack of caring the other knowing is signs of love, and how that love and constant wear and tear is what made him real and nothing else?

Oof, it got me pretty hard.

If it's transformitive indeed, THEN LET'S TRANFORM OUR BLUE PUPPET BOY INTO A PLAYABLE SMASH CHARACTER GODDAMMIT!

Life Goals:
-Make a bunch of strangers cry

I can't tell you all how happy I am that my work resonates with you. My dream with the Smashing Speculation series has always been to create something that Smash speculators could relate to on a deeply personal level while providing them the tools with which to understand their own fandom experience. Even if it's only a handful of people, if there are those that find my work impactful, then that means the world to me.

Thank you so much for all your support. If you liked the Geno video, definitely check out parts 1-4 on my YouTube channel. While not about Geno explicitly, all the topics discussed are very much relevant to your current interests and may shed some light on the phenomenon of speculation as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiX6t8zU2wO9p7DQYcDpbzw/videos

I sincerely hope we get to see Geno make it in. :happysheep:

#Geno4Smash

Firox

Smash Master
Expecting major Nintendo announcements at the VGAs was basically a meme up until Joker last year. The word “consistent” is the absolute last word I would use to describe Nintendo’s history of announcements at the VGAs.

I’ll never forget the one year they hyped up the fact that Cranky Kong was going to be playable in Tropical Freeze.

E3 is consistent. VGAs are inconsistent. Evo basically never got anything until last year, but that could be a sign of things to come (depending on what happens Sunday) as competitive gaming becomes slowly but surely more accepted/supported by Nintendo.

I think I can safely speak for everyone in this thread when I say no one here thinks Geno is 100% in. Lots of positivity =\= certainty. Lot’s of people mistake positivity with being delusional in this thread.
If anyone can honestly say with 100% certainty that Geno is in, please step forward at once. I'd love to hear why. No, seriously, I really would.

Leon "Speed" Sokol

Smash Rookie
So, I just heard that there was going to be the next DLC at the EVO and now I want to know what is happening here
Can someone resume?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Something I just realized that’s weird to me about this EVO stuff, is that if they aren’t going to be revealing anything... why on earth would they drop Hero this week? If they literally aren’t going to show up with anything, they could have simply just pushed Hero back a week and made his impending-yet-expected release their main announcement at EVO, and most would be satisfied.

But no, they essentially rushed his release(the unscripted demo, the broken Up-B cheese that GiMR found) just to release before a big event that seemingly every other game involved will have big announcements for, when they might not even have anything? That just doesn’t quite add up, personally.

My guess is that Hero was completely supposed to be out earlier in the month, but was delayed after it was decided that his mana needed rebalancing, which Sakurai even mentioned in a column or something. Maybe he even was supposed to make it in before the EVO deadline, but things didn’t work out. So instead of him releasing mid-July and having EVO be weeks away... you have it being days, thanks to the character’s delay.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This. The VGAs used to be a dumpster fire that most gamers openly resented because it bobbed the knob of everything stereotypical and cringey about gaming culture. It's only arguably been a respectable event for like the last three years when they decided to dump **** jokes, dub step and running Mountain Dew plugs in favor of, you know, actually respecting the industry. Along with that, Joker's not the first major announcement has made at the VGAs but he's definitely the biggest.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Something I just realized that’s weird to me about this EVO stuff, is that if they aren’t going to be revealing anything... why on earth would they drop Hero this week? If they literally aren’t going to show up with anything, they could have simply just pushed Hero back a week and made his impending-yet-expected release their main announcement at EVO, and most would be satisfied.

But no, they essentially rushed his release(the unscripted demo, the broken Up-B cheese that GiMR found) just to release before a big event that seemingly every other game involved will have big announcements for, when they might not even have anything? That just doesn’t quite add up, personally.

My guess is that Hero was completely supposed to be out earlier in the month, but was delayed after it was decided that his mana needed rebalancing, which Sakurai even mentioned in a column or something. Maybe he even was supposed to make it in before the EVO deadline, but things didn’t work out. So instead of him releasing mid-July and having EVO be weeks away... you have it being days, thanks to the character’s delay.
I was wondering about that myself, it seemed so odd to have such a lax presentation.

Firox

Smash Master

You have a good point. The timing is somewhat suspicious.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Smash Bros official facebook page is at EVO. So maybe something will be announced.
I don't know about the Smash Facebook page, but the Nintendo Versus Twitter has covered plenty of Smash tournaments in the past (with no announcement).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t think that there were any huge troubles with Hero’s development.

While I think that Sakurai probably tweaked some of the Menu’s spells and costs later in development, I don’t think that Hero was awfully rushed.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
You have a good point. The timing is somewhat suspicious.
I have the same feeling too. Granted, not saying 100% but the timing and Hero presentation kind of raises some eyebrows, IMHO. Sakurai and his team could have waited till during or after EVO Smash Champion to have a more "regular" announcement video, even if it was show casing just Hero and stuff ... but it was instead a live video that released the character the same day.

Granted, this is no guarantee of something, but please, you have to admit it felt odd timing wise and how it was presented ... which again, EVO was/is a few days away where Nintendo has invested quite a bit into this year.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I don’t think that there were any huge troubles with Hero’s development.

While I think that Sakurai probably tweaked some of the Menu’s spells and costs later in development, I don’t think that Hero was awfully rushed.
That’s the thing, though. In the hypothetical situation of them having nothing new to show at EVO, why would they release Hero this week? His impending release could have easily fit the bill as a big on-stage announcement, get a ton of extra press and interest, all that stuff. But instead, they released him the week beforehand, even though the patch deadline had already well and truly passed by then, so he won’t actually be on-stage at all.

Something about that just doesn’t add up, the more I consider it.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wait, Bayonetta 3 along with ports of Bayonetta 1 and 2 to Switch was announced at The Game Awards 2017. That was a big ****ing deal and arguably a bigger deal than just Joker in Smash considering what Bayonetta is to a lot of people and how much the franchise has grown over the past few years.

Hey, now Hero's rushed! We're two for two on people calling the Fighter's Pass characters rushed for no good reason. Sakurai trying a different style of reveal isn't even close to anything resembling proof of Hero "being rushed." Hell, the damn thing was largely edited just like the New Content Approaching from April for Joker anyway.

It's also worth noting, releasing something the week of is totally fine, there doesn't have to be a big announcement or fanfare of Hero rolling out at EVO. Him coinciding with the event is all Nintendo has to do. Nintendo doesn't play by the rules of everyone else in regard to announcements at these types of events anyway and has done their events around EVO anyway. This is more or less the same thing, just with them going before EVO.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Echoing T2by4 T2by4 's post, both the FB post and NintendoVS's tweet do in fact mention "stay tuned for updates...". This does seem like there may be in fact an announcement of sorts around SSBU's Top 8 (most likely post Grand Finals) on Sunday.

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, Bayonetta 3 along with ports of Bayonetta 1 and 2 to Switch was announced at The Game Awards 2017. That was a big ****ing deal and arguably a bigger deal than just Joker in Smash considering what Bayonetta is to a lot of people and how much the franchise has grown over the past few years.

Hey, now Hero's rushed! We're two for two on people calling the Fighter's Pass characters rushed for no good reason. Sakurai trying a different style of reveal isn't even close to anything resembling proof of Hero "being rushed." Hell, the damn thing was largely edited just like the New Content Approaching from April for Joker anyway.

It's also worth noting, releasing something the week of is totally fine, there doesn't have to be a big announcement or fanfare of Hero rolling out at EVO. Him coinciding with the event is all Nintendo has to do. Nintendo doesn't play by the rules of everyone else in regard to announcements at these types of events anyway and has done their events around EVO anyway. This is more or less the same thing, just with them going before EVO.
While the release of Hero could very well be yet another example of Nintendo doing things their own way, it is worth recognizing the fact that EVO would have garnered more attention by the gaming community at large. Could they have chosen to release early and leave it at that? Sure, but if you wanted to increase awareness, and by extension, sales, it probably would have been smarter to unveil gameplay and release at the climax of EVO. I'm not saying they HAD to release at EVO, but forgoing the exposure they could have had seems somewhat careless...unless they have more up their sleeve.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
"stay tuned for updates...." Could just mean they will post the winner of each round and stuff like that. It doesn't necessarily mean a major announcement.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

The thing is, Nintendo has now put themselves in a very, very weird situation that from what I understand, no other game at EVO is in. Their most recent addition to the game, playable now in all home versions, is going to be a complete no-show in the biggest tournament of the year including all potential stage presence, when even a single week of delay could remedy that instantly with an on-stage announcement.

It doesn’t make sense even by a “we don’t play by the rules” mindset, since they’re basically saying “We have a new character ready to go, but don’t put it on the largest fighting-game-related stage of the year, let’s just skip showing off the new release entirely and not announce anything else.”

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Expectations for a Smash fighter were indeed low, but for Nintendo in general to announce something? Not how I remember it. The year before, they announced Bayonetta 3 and Breath of the Wild's DLC. The year before that we got the first look at BotW's gameplay. Admittedly nothing happened in 2015, and the track record for Ninty's reveals gets spottier the farther you go back but I'd say people were right to expect something from them by the time Joker was announced last year. Far from inconsistent IMO.
Other than the fact that they have had Smash announcements regarding EVO both Smash 4 and Ultimate era when it came to newcomers but, you know, you can't say the same thing about EVO.
I frankly think calling Robin's reveal EVO-related is a bit charitable, and that while there is some precedence for announcements of announcements (something I consider a best-case-scenario) that the circumstances are once again different. This time last year, Smash Ultimate was an unreleased game, and there was still a myriad of information to be revealed, even outside of new fighters, and we hadn't seen much of the game since E3. Now though? We just got Hero, we know Banjo's not for another 1.5-2 months at the absolute earliest, and they've got plenty of time to reveal the last two fighters.

I'm not saying that an EVO reveal is impossible, just that I'm not counting on one and would temper my expectations. I would very much like to be wrong, but those are my 2 cents. Your snark is appreciated though.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Welp I know you guys are discussing EVO stuff but I just wanna say one thing... Geno has invaded my sleep, I recently have had a dream of Geno's reveal trailer. That is all :p

D

Deleted member

I'm not expecting a Geno reveal at EVO but if by some miracle he's in and as a Fighters Pass character or even if he's just a bonus character all I have to say about that currently is Smash Ultimate is so beautiful.

We not only have all of the characters in the series history return but we have all the great characters like Hero, Simon, Incineroar, Isabelle, Joker and even the big four (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno)! It's beautiful! Who would've or could've ever expected this? Nobody. Nobody could expect this amazing roster it would truly be Ultimate and the best case scenario I would truly never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

D

Deleted member

Welp I know you guys are discussing EVO stuff but I just wanna say one thing... Geno has invaded my sleep, I recently have had a dream of Geno's reveal trailer. That is all :p
Lol, you should have checked the dream I had last night which I described some pages ago.

Btw, I think I know why the dream went like that:

Back on my first day here this month, I almost got close to posting the song “Friend like me” from Aladdin as a way to say how this thread felt that awesome for me, but in the end decided to not do so since I still had awesome people to talk with outside this thread. Some minutes later, I got hooked to checking Aladdin songs on Youtube later that day.

Maybe my brain has unsubsconsciously (probably not the right word, lol) connected Geno with the Genie from Aladdin because of that, making stuff such as that dream happen. More so since both are very related with wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Expectations for a Smash fighter were indeed low, but for Nintendo in general to announce something? Not how I remember it. The year before, they announced Bayonetta 3 and Breath of the Wild's DLC. The year before that we got the first look at BotW's gameplay. Admittedly nothing happened in 2015, and the track record for Ninty's reveals gets spottier the farther you go back but I'd say people were right to expect something from them by the time Joker was announced last year. Far from inconsistent IMO.

I frankly think calling Robin's reveal EVO-related is a bit charitable, and that while there is some precedence for announcements of announcements (something I consider a best-case-scenario) that the circumstances are once again different. This time last year, Smash Ultimate was an unreleased game, and there was still a myriad of information to be revealed, even outside of new fighters, and we hadn't seen much of the game since E3. Now though? We just got Hero, we know Banjo's not for another 1.5-2 months at the absolute earliest, and they've got plenty of time to reveal the last two fighters.

I'm not saying that an EVO reveal is impossible, just that I'm not counting on one and would temper my expectations. I would very much like to be wrong, but those are my 2 cents. Your snark is appreciated though.
I try. Also, no hard feelings? I'm just suffering from the anxiety of waiting on this blasted buildup.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What if the bird relates to Tales of?

I want Geno but someone brought up that old 5chan leak guy who heard stuff about Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet Crowe, Hero/Erdrick, and Nakoruru. Apparently he also said Hero would come with a Slime hat and Erdrick's armor as mii costumes, although that's not an impressive guess tbh. He was only sure about Hero, though, so it could be like how some leakers only get one thing right, even if they're being honest...

me: no fear

5chan leak: exists

me: one fear

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Lol, you should have checked the dream I had last night which I described some pages ago.

Btw, I think I know why the dream went like that:

Back on my first day here this month, I almost got close to posting the song “Friend like me” from Aladdin as a way to say how this thread felt that awesome for me, but in the end decided to not do so since I still had awesome people to talk with outside this thread. Some minutes later, I got hooked to checking Aladdin songs on Youtube later that day.

Maybe my brain has unsubsconsciously (probably not the right word, lol) connected Geno with the Genie from Aladdin because of that, making stuff such as that dream happen. More so since both are very related with wishes.
Dreams have a funny way of telling you stuff but I also believe they can predict your future. I've only had two Geno dreams recently and they both were the same thing, the first one was his gameplay trailer all I can remember was 7 different coloured Genos on battlefield, the other and most recent dream was geno's trailer but it was werid, All I can remember from what is that he was wearing a hood very similar to Simon's in his trailer, Geno just came in running, threw the hood and his splash screen came on

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
What if the bird relates to Tales of?

I want Geno but someone brought up that old 5chan leak guy who heard stuff about Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet Crowe, Hero/Erdrick, and Nakoruru. Apparently he also said Hero would come with a Slime hat and Erdrick's armor as mii costumes, although that's not an impressive guess tbh. He was only sure about Hero, though, so it could be like how some leakers only get one thing right, even if they're being honest...

me: no fear

5chan leak: exists

me: one fear
I'm pretty sure the 5chan leak said it would be erdrick with a female alt, something that didn't pan out. Though I might be misremembering

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Dreams have a funny way of telling you stuff but I also believe they can predict your future. I've only had two Geno dreams recently and they both were the same thing, the first one was his gameplay trailer all I can remember was 7 different coloured Genos on battlefield, the other and most recent dream was geno's trailer but it was werid, All I can remember from what is that he was wearing a hood very similar to Simon's in his trailer, Geno just came in running, threw the hood and his splash screen came on
I've predicted various things via dreams. I actually, crazy enough, predicted a scene from a Star Trek movie 7 years before it came out. I feel you could definitely predict the future via dreaming.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think we should write off EVO entirely until Sunday has come and gone.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure the 5chan leak said it would be erdrick with a female alt, something that didn't pan out. Though I might be misremembering
That was a different leak. I think this one was shared in the newcomer speculation thread before, but it was early this year I think...

oh well, whatever happens, happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom