• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not buying into the leak, but damn, if we had to get another Microsoft character, please be Master Chief.

I'd be hyped as hell for his inclusion.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
When that
Are we still under the impression that the music strikes were nothing?

IDK, just seems like those two tracks were the perfect ones for Geno, and it follows the two song per Square game format
When that leak came out (And I didn't hear about the starling leak yet) I thought it had a little bit of credibility, but didn't regard it as much. It gave me a tiny bit of hope.

But now that everything adds up, to me it only reinforces the starling leak. Though lets be honest, it could just be a random strike, but it seems a bit too perfect for that to be random.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I'm not buying into the leak, but damn, if we had to get another Microsoft character, please be Master Chief.

100 percent agree. As much as steve would be- um- interesting.. In my opinion Master Chief would blow everyone out of the waters. The mascot of Xbox fighting the mascot of nintendo. A huge slap in the face to sony.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
100 percent agree. As much as steve would be- um- interesting.. In my opinion Master Chief would blow everyone out of the waters. The mascot of Xbox fighting the mascot of nintendo. A huge slap in the face to sony.

Hey, if not Chief, closest we may get may be Doomguy. That's close enough, right? :troll:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Did you know that on a Famitsu article, Sakurai talked about Halo (Along with Half-Life) and how much he loved it? I feel his chances are much better now and days for something like a Fighter Pass 2 or another game. https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Did you know that on a Famitsu article, Sakurai talked about Halo (Along with Half-Life) and how much he loved it? I feel his chances are much better now and days for something like a Fighter Pass 2 or another game. https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/
Interesting. I am sure Japan mostly doesn't give a care about Microsoft, Xbox or Halo, and apparently, one of the few Japanese people who does love it is Masahiro Sakurai himself. What do you know?

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Yo thats cool. I would like to hold my breath for Master chief (He's probably the 2nd or 3rd character I want that already isn't in the game) but Geno has and always will be my #1. Unless he gets in which as of recently, is looking pretty likely :D

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Are we still under the impression that the music strikes were nothing?

IDK, just seems like those two tracks were the perfect ones for Geno, and it follows the two song per Square game format
Yeah, that's my exact sentiment towards those song take-downs. Coincidences do exist yes, but like I've said months ago regarding other tidbits of information (like NoA sudden interest in Geno, the art take-down, the Piranha Plant references and so forth), all this together lain out before us is all far too suspicious to fall under "it's all just a coincidence" because we'd be at about, say the fifth or sixth time things that are very Geno specific are just a "coincidence".

That being said, yadda yadda radda radda, it's still very, very likely it's all just a bunch of flotsam and jetsam and is nothing but incredible coincidence.

But that ain't fun, and fun is why I'm here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The combined power of Steve, Banjo, and Geno posting. 4chan, Reddit, and Twitter would be in shambles. I'll go get my popcorn.
If only this would happen.

Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, and Geno all dabbing together.

He loves Minecraft as well.

Master Chief seems cool but just like how some of y'all would like him more, I'd far prefer my boi Steve to be 100% honest.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The point I was making was that Geno's supposed obstacles are considerably smaller than a good number of the newcomers who have already gotten in, especially the DLC. Pirhana Plant is a nameless common enemy. Joker and Persona had the barest minimum of Nintendo crossover to even be considered. Hero was a legal quagmire (giggity). Banjo was literally owned by one of Nintendo's biggest competitors. On this basic level, he's canonically more important than Pirhana Plant, has more history with Nintendo than Joker, is significantly less legally complicated than Hero, and isn't owned by a major competitor like Banjo.
My point is you could swap out Geno for any of those aforementioned characters in the post and still have it make the same amount of sense. Because the point the post makes is that Smash has subverted fan expectations, accomplished a lot inclusion-wise, and the character isn't impossible. All of which are true. As they would be for most characters, because they're very wide parameters.

The "look what Smash has done so far/look how they deviate from expectation" argument is really just a blanket positive to whoever's case is trying to be made, and none of those listed characters had a definitive nail in the coffin point against them (if they had, they would've been excluded), so their negatives could've also been trivialized, especially by their supporters.

I agree Geno stands in a better place than a lot of characters. Saying "he's not impossible" is an undersell. However, I could literally copy that post, swap out the dozen or so words for a different character and their counterpoints, and paste it in any number of other support threads to wide embrace.

Here:
Even without the consistent referencing, can we just stick on why exactly people still think Waluigi is totally impossible? Good lord, just look at this game:

-Every single character that's ever been playable in the series.
-Three characters that Sakurai previously said weren't going to happen anytime soon (Daisy, Ridley, and Chrom)
-Inceniroar when everyone and their grandma insisted it was going to be Decidueye before Vergeben came along
-Richter... just Richter. There was literally no reason to use the resources to make this character aside from pleasing Castlevania fans but they did it anyways.
-Dark Samus was a character that hadn't had a major appearance in 11 years and yet another character they didn't need to add outside of fan service.
-A character that's only Nintendo appearance was a Sonic the Hedgehog costume before he was picked for DLC (Joker)
-A character that hadn't had a notable Nintendo appearance in almost 20 years (K. Rool)
-Not one but FOUR characters from arguably the most legally convoluted franchise in all of gaming (Hero). Oh, did I forget to mention that this is LITERALLY THE FIRST TIME THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO APPEAR SIDE BY SIDE IN THE FRANCHISE'S ENTIRE 33 YEAR HISTORY merely because Sakurai wanted it to happen?
-A common enemy (Piranha Plant)
-A character of a direct competitor of Nintendo that hasn't had a game on a Nintendo platform in almost 15 years (Banjo)

So... that basically just leaves Inkling and Isabelle that were "safe" bets, Ken (yet another character they didn't have any reason to add outside of fan service to Street Fighter fans because god knows he wasn't topping any polls) and Simon. You have characters that were cut and gone for multiple games, literally turned down by Sakurai himself, absent from gaming in notable ways for a decade or even longer, owned by as many as four separate IP holders, are a minor, nameless enemy in their respective franchise, owned by Nintendo's competition, and had one minor cameo on a Nintendo platform before getting picked and yet, for whatever reason, Waluigi's this wonder-child of impossibility because of *checks notes* being upgraded from AT is a big no-no-ah-boo-boo according to literally no-one?

Except pointing out the inclusions of specific newcomers in SSBU is done to show a a pattern of willingness to buck trends and reverse statements that in the past we’re held up as reasons as to why X Y and Z requested characters couldn’t get into a Smash title.
Precisely. That distinction can apply to a vast myriad of hopefuls.

The patten shows a clear willingness to bring in highly requested characters on the part of Sakurai and Nintendo. Prior to the base game reveals and DLC K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and Geno were historically the most consistent and long running characters that hadn’t been added yet or AT’d. At this point Geno’s the only one from that list left and the inclusion of other characters show that there’s less of a concern regarding relevance and longevity on Nintendo systems.

The list shows less “Nintendo can just pick whoever” and more “Nintendo is going for a lot of characters that are historically popular among the fanbase but maybe aren’t as “relevant” or obvious and also at times maybe have been counted out by Sakurai himself as not being possible in earlier games”. And all of those things apply to Geno in ways they don’t apply to every theoretical character out there.
And since the pattern is willingness to buck trends and reverse statements that were held up as reasons against inclusion, the removal of those barriers benefits every character that had some sort of precedent or argument against them, which is basically EVERY CHARACTER. It applies to highly requested characters, and it applies to rarely requested characters. Plus everyone in the middle. And therefore, it can apply to Geno, but it can also apply to pretty much anyone else.

Basically it's just a bad way to argue for any one character, because it actually argues for all characters who have anything against them.

D

Deleted member

Well Q2 was first revealed in August 2018. I count that as a factor because it doesn't matter if the character actually made it on that console, all it matter was they were announced to be on it. Just like how Luminary never on a Nintendo console, but technically he's the first character & game announced for the Switch when it was called the NX.
DQ11 was released on the 3DS back in July 2017 along with the PS4 version in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DQ11 was released on the 3DS back in July 2017 along with the PS4 version in Japan.
What? That's crazy! There was a 3DS release in Japan, and Japan only!?! I would have gotten that

StarLight42

Smash Lord
When that

When that leak came out (And I didn't hear about the starling leak yet) I thought it had a little bit of credibility, but didn't regard it as much. It gave me a tiny bit of hope.

But now that everything adds up, to me it only reinforces the starling leak. Though lets be honest, it could just be a random strike, but it seems a bit too perfect for that to be random.
I forgot that Viridi mentions the Megasmilax. Isn't that a property of Square?

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I'm all in on the "Nintendo bought the rights to Geno/Mallow" conspiracy theory.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone can write up a "realistic" roster leak. Remember when people bought into one featuring Kasumi, Edelgard and Grookey's evolution?

(even though it's technically a spin-off of SMT)
Not that it matters much, seeing how even Atlus themselves forgot that SMT exists.

I would THINK Nintendo would have learned their lesson after brave. But then again, this is Nintendo we are talking about. There might literally just be a document in the junk file that reads "Geno is in"
Still beats Capcom, whose code security might as well be made out of cardboard. Imagine what would happen if someone had managed to leak the entire pass...

I wonder about that because it was an OC created in that game, but at the same time it is a piranha plant
Consider the following; if you make an OC that's based on an existing character and is modified, even if slightly, it's technically your property as long as you credit the makers of the IP it's from. Essentially, in this case, it's an officialized "Original the Hedgehog, do not steal".

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know, but that's it. All the spin-offs except Persona aren't around anymore. Unless one counts Catherine, I guess.
SMT only has a few spin-offs, if... and Strange Journey.

Unless you count all Megami Tensei games except Persona as SMT spin-offs.

EDIT: Also Strange Journey Redux came out two years ago, right after Apocalypse. It's not like there wasn't any SMT game in years and there's no point in working on a spin-off while an important mainline game is in development. "ATLUS forgot about SMT" is an unfunny meme at this point.

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Geno's definitely my #1 pick, followed by rayman, but since legacy XP is right there, sometimes I feel like i'd rather trade a potential geno for a guaranteed "steve doesnt get in". Its the only one I would regret seeing on the CSS.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I've got really mixed feelings about Steve as a whole. Yeah, he ticks every box in the book for me (iconic, successful, Nintendo history) but I always thought that a fighter wouldn't be the best way to represent Minecraft. A massive, sprawling stage with the mobs and the building represented would be better imo, as Steve himself isn't the main part of Minecraft. The world is. I also think there's a big possibility that his art style would massively clash with Smash more than any other fighter, but Sakurai is a magician, so I reckon that'd be ok.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A massive, sprawling stage with the mobs and the building represented would be better imo, as Steve himself isn't the main part of Minecraft. The world is.
I saw this argument dozens of times and sometimes I wonder if people realize every guest fighter comes with a stage.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm not a fan of Steve at the best of times. Minecraft is a game built on it's world and environments, not it's default avatars. But if that's what it takes to get me some geno action, then I'm ready to punch trees

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, but what if some people don't care about the character at all but only want the stage? It's not like they'd do separate deals for Steve and the MC stage.
...don't play as Steve?

I don't know why Minecraft is so special that it should be the only third party franchise that gets a stage without a character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think TheCJBrine TheCJBrine would be in the best position to answer that question, seeing as he's the most informed about it.
It was a rhetorical question. There's no reason to reject Steve as a fighter just because people may want to purchase his stage seperately, considering I can't just buy Mementos or Spiral Mountain without fighters.

Dynamic Worlok

In all honesty Steve might just end up as a mii costume for banjo, but you never know. We can't really rule him out considering our whole speculation at this point rests on the notion that square could have two reps.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just a reminder guys, don't put all your stock into EVO being the end all for Geno. There is NOTHING except the Starling leak (which maybe isn't even a hint towards Geno), indicating Geno is at EVO. We shouldn't be, and look defeated just because of a stretch of an announcement happening as big as a fighter if it doesn't happen. I sincerely hope it happens though, just to get this all over with
This is definitely important to remember. The Mii costume being gone, despite it being so highlighted and popular in Smash, is arguably a huge boon anyways so nothing makes this weekend absolutely essential unless Sakurai appears on stage at EVO, says "Geno's not in", dabs, and then casually walks off. Like multiple people have said, the bird/starling hint is so spectacularly vague that nobody knows what it could entail. Either way, avoiding the axe this week definitely breathed new life into the fanbase and, at the very least, that should be enough of a relief for the time being.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
This is definitely important to remember. The Mii costume being gone, despite it being so highlighted and popular in Smash, is arguably a huge boon anyways so nothing makes this weekend absolutely essential unless Sakurai appears on stage at EVO, says "Geno's not in", dabs, and then casually walks off. Like multiple people have said, the bird/starling hint is so spectacularly vague that nobody knows what it could entail. Either way, avoiding the axe this week definitely breathed new life into the fanbase and, at the very least, that should be enough of a relief for the time being.
Unless that WAS the axe and we just don't know it yet. o_o

Also, I'm going to confess, I have no idea what EVO is. I Googled it and only got results for the old SNES game, E.V.O: Search for Eden, which admittedly was not bad despite how weird and confusing the gameplay was. However EVO's a thing that's relevant to us but I have no idea what it is, someone explain please.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'm curious how Steve supporters feel that he would be the most or one of the most deserving additions to the Smash roster. I do understand that Minecraft is a really fun game that is extremely popular and that Samurai can work wonders even with the most potentially boring blank slate characters. I just wonder why Steve is such a popular pick when he seems so...boring. I know that sounds rude and I really don't mean it to be.

I truthfully would be excited for Steve supporters if he got in and would be excited to try him out and happy there's a new fighter. But I also have to admit that for me Steve is a bottom of the bucket kind of character who I struggle to really want in the game. I'd be really appreciative if someone could post some potential movesets or something so I can really rethink this because I don't want to have this kind of stance on any potential character. I do think a Minecraft stage would be super fun. I agree that a stage and Mii costumes seems like the best way to support Minecraft in Smash but I am ok if I get proven wrong about that.

Dynamic Worlok

Also, I'm going to confess, I have no idea what EVO is. I Googled it and only got results for the old SNES game, E.V.O: Search for Eden, which admittedly was not bad despite how weird and confusing the gameplay was. However EVO's a thing that's relevant to us but I have no idea what it is, someone explain please.
It's a yearly fighting games tournament where professionals go to compete. Smash will be the final event this year

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just wonder why Steve is such a popular pick when he seems so...boring. I know that sounds rude and I really don't mean it to be.
If you know it sounds rude, why are you still saying it?

Anyway, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise "boring" is not an objective term. A lot of people simply don't think he's boring, I don't get why it's so hard to understand.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
However, with others hints it was more obvious. The picture of a bear and bird was Banjo Kazooie in Smash

Dynamic Worlok

However, with others hints it was more obvious. The picture of a bear and bird was Banjo Kazooie in Smash
Conversely, the link's awakening hint was esoteric as hell. Who in the world would connect a blue crab with Zelda immediately?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

EVO is basically the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. Smash Ultimate is not only the game that has the most participants this year, but it's also gotten the honor of closing out the tournament this year, meaning the Top 8 will be presented live on the "Grand Stage" in front of thousands. It's sponsored by Nintendo once again this year, even to the point that Nintendo is sending players there themselves. People come from literally all over the world to participate and it's basically the most important event for fighting games in the whole year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom