• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Q2 came out in Japan a few weeks before Joker was revealed and didn't come out everywhere else until about a week before E3 this year. That said, it probably wasn't factored into the decision to add Joker.
Well Q2 was first revealed in August 2018. I count that as a factor because it doesn't matter if the character actually made it on that console, all it matter was they were announced to be on it. Just like how Luminary never on a Nintendo console, but technically he's the first character & game announced for the Switch when it was called the NX.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, since we were talking about cake, I am obligated to post this.

If Geno gets in, who else is going to celebrate...

With some cake?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even without the absence of the Mii costume, can we just stick on why exactly people still think Geno is totally impossible? Good lord, just look at this game:

-Every single character that's ever been playable in the series.
-Three characters that Sakurai previously said weren't going to happen anytime soon (Daisy, Ridley, and Chrom)
-Inceniroar when everyone and their grandma insisted it was going to be Decidueye before Vergeben came along
-Richter... just Richter. There was literally no reason to use the resources to make this character aside from pleasing Castlevania fans but they did it anyways.
-Dark Samus was a character that hadn't had a major appearance in 11 years and yet another character they didn't need to add outside of fan service.
-A character that's only Nintendo appearance was a Sonic the Hedgehog costume before he was picked for DLC (Joker)
-A character that hadn't had a notable Nintendo appearance in almost 20 years (K. Rool)
-Not one but FOUR characters from arguably the most legally convoluted franchise in all of gaming (Hero). Oh, did I forget to mention that this is LITERALLY THE FIRST TIME THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO APPEAR SIDE BY SIDE IN THE FRANCHISE'S ENTIRE 33 YEAR HISTORY merely because Sakurai wanted it to happen?
-A common enemy (Piranha Plant)
-A character of a direct competitor of Nintendo that hasn't had a game on a Nintendo platform in almost 15 years (Banjo)

So... that basically just leaves Inkling and Isabelle that were "safe" bets, Ken (yet another character they didn't have any reason to add outside of fan service to Street Fighter fans because god knows he wasn't topping any polls) and Simon. You have characters that were cut and gone for multiple games, literally turned down by Sakurai himself, absent from gaming in notable ways for a decade or even longer, owned by as many as four separate IP holders, are a minor, nameless enemy in their respective franchise, owned by Nintendo's competition, and had one minor cameo on a Nintendo platform before getting picked and yet, for whatever reason, Geno's this wonder-child of impossibility because of *checks notes* a PNG and Square Enix having 2 DLC characters is a big no-no-ah-boo-boo according to literally no-one?
The best part is you can swap out the red parts and make this apply to almost any candidate.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well Q2 was first revealed in August 2018. I count that as a factor because it doesn't matter if the character actually made it on that console, all it matter was they were announced to be on it. Just like how Luminary never on a Nintendo console, but technically he's the first character & game announced for the Switch when it was called the NX.
I'd argue that Hero is different because Dragon Quest has a long history with Nintendo, while Persona doesn't (even though it's technically a spin-off of SMT). Even without Luminary, the other three have appeared on Nintendo platforms in major roles.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
There’s something about this board talking about desserts that makes me really hungry...

Now I want some cookie cake (*cough* which is the best dessert *cough*)

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Eleven/Luminary did appear on a Nintendo console before DQ11S's release with DQ11 3DS which came out in 2017. Also Persona Q2 was announced back in 2017 with only the Phantom Thieves being confirmed for the game at the time.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There’s something about this board talking about desserts that makes me really hungry...

Now I want some cookie cake (*cough* which is the best dessert *cough*)
I can probably find something...

Does anyone else notice an uptick of me posting here after Ovaltine's question? I don't see a correlation at all...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Does anyone else notice an uptick of me posting here after Ovaltine's question? I don't see a correlation at all...
Face it, Peach can make a better cake than Yoshi makes cookies. :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The best part is you can swap out the red parts and make this apply to almost any candidate.
But is it honestly an equal comparison across the board? Is Geno on equal grounding with, say, Earthworm Jim or Kratos or Duke Nukem or Scorpion or Bubsy or Parappa the Rappa? There are clearly differences in a number of ways: history with Smash, recognition from Sakurai, long-term popularity, etc. Going back to the Brawl speculation days, almost all the major players in this regard are playable, assist trophies, or Mii costumes and Geno's one of the few that isn't any of these yet for this game. That's where the difference lies. Yes, it could technically apply to everyone but the argument quickly loses meaning with the simple conclusion that not everyone is in equal standing.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041

If it means more Yoshi stuff than I’m down for seeing you post in here more :D
Face it, Peach can make a better cake than Yoshi makes cookies. :p
The battle of the century. Who’s the better baker? Find out next time, on something something Z!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But is it honestly an equal comparison across the board? Is Geno on equal grounding with, say, Earthworm Jim or Kratos or Duke Nukem or Scorpion or Bubsy or Parappa the Rappa? There are clearly differences in a number of ways: history with Smash, recognition from Sakurai, long-term popularity, etc. Going back to the Brawl speculation days, almost all the major players in this regard are playable, assist trophies, or Mii costumes and Geno's one of the few that isn't any of these yet for this game. That's where the difference lies. Yes, it could technically apply to everyone but the argument quickly loses meaning with the simple conclusion that not everyone is in equal standing.
No, you're absolutely right, Geno has a better shot than a lot of characters, but extolling the miraculous extent of recent character acquisitions and inclusions doesn't really prove anything past the theoretical possibility of basically whoever.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well, it’s coming down to the wire, and I guess at this point i’m just secretly hoping and praying for Geno to finally get his chance.

I just want to say, getting Geno in after everything that’s happened would be extremely refreshing. Banjo already helped, but gettin’ Geno would make me feel entirely better about even believing the Grinch leak.

Since then, Geno and has fans have faced a ton of hatred and mockery. It’s really quite disturbing. We need him in so he can put these kind of people in their place, along with those who are adamant about the faulty spirits deconfirm theory.

I was too burned by the Grinch leak to ever truly expect him, but i’m just hoping and hoping that the stars align.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Just a reminder guys, don't put all your stock into EVO being the end all for Geno. There is NOTHING except the Starling leak (which maybe isn't even a hint towards Geno), indicating Geno is at EVO. We shouldn't be, and look defeated just because of a stretch of an announcement happening as big as a fighter if it doesn't happen. I sincerely hope it happens though, just to get this all over with

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, you're absolutely right, Geno has a better shot than a lot of characters, but extolling the miraculous extent of recent character acquisitions and inclusions doesn't really prove anything past the theoretical possibility of basically whoever.
The point I was making was that Geno's supposed obstacles are considerably smaller than a good number of the newcomers who have already gotten in, especially the DLC. Pirhana Plant is a nameless common enemy. Joker and Persona had the barest minimum of Nintendo crossover to even be considered. Hero was a legal quagmire (giggity). Banjo was literally owned by one of Nintendo's biggest competitors. On this basic level, he's canonically more important than Pirhana Plant, has more history with Nintendo than Joker, is significantly less legally complicated than Hero, and isn't owned by a major competitor like Banjo.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Except pointing out the inclusions of specific newcomers in SSBU is done to show a a pattern of willingness to buck trends and reverse statements that in the past we’re held up as reasons as to why X Y and Z requested characters couldn’t get into a Smash title.

The patten shows a clear willingness to bring in highly requested characters on the part of Sakurai and Nintendo. Prior to the base game reveals and DLC K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and Geno were historically the most consistent and long running characters that hadn’t been added yet or AT’d. At this point Geno’s the only one from that list left and the inclusion of other characters show that there’s less of a concern regarding relevance and longevity on Nintendo systems.

The list shows less “Nintendo can just pick whoever” and more “Nintendo is going for a lot of characters that are historically popular among the fanbase but maybe aren’t as “relevant” or obvious and also at times maybe have been counted out by Sakurai himself as not being possible in earlier games”. And all of those things apply to Geno in ways they don’t apply to every theoretical character out there.

D

Deleted member

There is no way this is real. If this is real ontop of the Starling leak, music tracks, and no mii costume, Geno would basically be confirmed. But I think this is fake and no-one has datamined yet
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/472602023/smash-ultimate-500-leak
Cube and Star huh. First thing that came to my mind was Geno and Steve which would line-up with that whole Steve/Geno leak we discussed a few weeks back but I sincerely doubt this is true or there would be bigger talks of it.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
This would also line up with what many leakers said saying minecraft content *might* be in the game. But this is too good to be true. Going to expect this to be fake but we'll have to get a real data mine to see.

God I hope its real though. Ive wanted Geno for so long-

T2by4

Smash Lord
There is no way this is real. If this is real ontop of the Starling leak, music tracks, and no mii costume, Geno would basically be confirmed. But I think this is fake and no-one has datamined yet
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/472602023/smash-ultimate-500-leak
There is no way in **** that's real. I refuse to believe it until more certified dataminers come out and tell us what they actually find. Never trust a greentext 4chan post fellas. Trust me. However, if we can get a dataminer to confirm if they see anything else that would also be nice.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Getting Geno and Steve as our final DLC would be the best thing ever. In my opinion.

It’d disprove the notion that Hero/Geno and Banjo/Steve are mutually exclusive. Everyone gets what they want.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
There is no way in **** that's real. I refuse to believe it until more certified dataminers come out and tell us what they actually find. Never trust a greentext 4chan post fellas. Trust me. However, if we can get a dataminer to confirm if they see anything else that would also be nice.
Does anyone here have a hacked switch? Or does anyone know if someone has datamined it yet?

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I imagine we should be getting something soon as far as datamining goes. I remember it takes a couple of days for people to find something. Hopefully we hear something before the weekend.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The combined power of Steve, Banjo, and Geno posting. 4chan, Reddit, and Twitter would be in shambles. I'll go get my popcorn.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I imagine we should be getting something soon as far as datamining goes. I remember it takes a couple of days for people to find something. Hopefully we hear something before the weekend.
Hopefully. Whoever the 4chan poster was they definitely knew where to hit us where it hurt. For now don't trust it, but let's keep an eye out for legit dataminers on official twitter or anywhere else other than an anonymous messaging board. If it is indeed "star" then we ****ing celebrate.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Im going to be out of town over the weekend, I hope I can stay up to date and see if someone datamines the game.

Do you guys really think Geno is going to get in though? I feel like over the last few days a surge of stuff has come in his favor, and its making me hopeful, but doubtful at the same time. Kind of like when the Grinch leak wasn't disproven

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But wouldn't it be really strange if the fighter pass only consisted of characters from 3 companies? Atlus, Square Enix, and Microsoft?

You can pick any company and get a fan favorite character from them. But you stick to 3 companies? That doesn't really add up.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
But wouldn't it be really strange if the fighter pass only consisted of characters from 3 companies? Atlus, Square Enix, and Microsoft?
I think you have a point. I can stick with Geno, but I would like something from a different company for the last character.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Honestly the more time goes on and it seems certain like things point in Geno's favor the more fake leaks we're going to get that include him either as people genuinely trying to get people to believe their rumors or just to get Geno supporters' hopes built up. In a weird way it's kind of nice that people are sticking him in fake leaks now because it shows that more people out there think he's a legit possibility in the same way they've been putting Steve in almost everything since last Fall.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It’s 4chan, I already don’t believe it. However, since 4.0 is out there could be some data in it like the “jack” and “brave” during the beginning of the dlc discussion.

If there is a code name “starling” with a more official data miner .... oh my.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt that 4chan post is legit (It 99.9% isn't honestly), however...."Brave" and "Jack" were supposed to be secrets for a good long while, where only specific people knew about it, until someone spoiled it. It was supposed to be a thing so hopefully we get more codenames. Probably not supposed to share that but it's a dead thing anyway and doesn't matter anymore

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I am familiar with Switch datamining/modding and can confirm to you guys that nothing suspicious or new was added in the code with 4.0. It's been relatively clean since 3.0, so with the release of Hero the code has absolutely no hints towards future development.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would THINK Nintendo would have learned their lesson after brave. But then again, this is Nintendo we are talking about. There might literally just be a document in the junk file that reads "Geno is in"

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Are we still under the impression that the music strikes were nothing?

IDK, just seems like those two tracks were the perfect ones for Geno, and it follows the two song per Square game format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom