• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
EVO is basically the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. Smash Ultimate is not only the game that has the most participants this year, but it's also gotten the honor of closing out the tournament this year, meaning the Top 8 will be presented live on the "Grand Stage" in front of thousands. It's sponsored by Nintendo once again this year, even to the point that Nintendo is sending players there themselves. People come from literally all over the world to participate and it's basically the most important event for fighting games in the whole year.
And with how involved Nintendo is being with EVO this time around, we could get something there. Not sure what that something could be, but Smash makes sense. Unless we are getting a Pokken Tournament 2 announcement (Please no)

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So, while I'm thinking about it, I wanted to see where the thread stands on an issue of importance. Assuming we end up getting our star boy, what do you think would be the better final smash: geno flash, or geno whirl?

Personally, I'm on board with geno flash, because I've always liked the spectacle of geno's special moves. I think a big flashy explosion would be great. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not only that but it was literally the only full Square Enix costume and I think the only costume aside from Heihachi that Sakurai bothered to talk about in a presentation.
Them and Rex. We can't forget about what happened to Rex.

Its funny how Square has been misleading with the music in the Smash trailers every time.

Cloud's uses Opening - Bombing Mission at the start of his trailer, but its not one of the TWO SONGS he has bundled with him.

Geno's costume played Beware the Forest's Mushrooms on the splash screen, but its not downloadable either.

Hero has DQ3's Adventure (Orchestra version) in his second half of the trailer, but he comes with the MIDI version instead.

So do we have to be skeptical with Square news in Smash since we won't get exactly what is shown?
It shows you how greedy Square-Enix is.

here's hoping I and the rest of the Isaac family come in as well. Wishful thinking says we get Geno as a bonus, Isaac as #4, Lloyd as #5, and Waluigi as another bonus, but I severely doubt that all of this will happen
That's very unlikely, but I really hope that is the case because if any Assist Trophies get promoted as DLC, than that would mean Krystal would be back on the table again. I really want Krystal as she is my 2nd most wanted character now that :ultkrool:, :ultridley:, and :ultbanjokazooie: are all in.

According to Sabi, he apparently had some legit sources, at least for Atlus, but his Smash info was way off. Not only did he claim Banjo was DEFINITELY not in and Steve DEFINITELY was, but he also stated characters like Chun-Li were cut, even though Sakurai said, and I quote, that, "No characters were added or removed from the project plan." He had obvious misinformation from jump, whether or not his sources were the real deal.
Oh ****! Does that mean the Season Pass characters are Ultimate's last newcomers? I really hope that isn't the case.

Well, it’s coming down to the wire, and I guess at this point i’m just secretly hoping and praying for Geno to finally get his chance.

I just want to say, getting Geno in after everything that’s happened would be extremely refreshing. Banjo already helped, but gettin’ Geno would make me feel entirely better about even believing the Grinch leak.

Since then, Geno and has fans have faced a ton of hatred and mockery. It’s really quite disturbing. We need him in so he can put these kind of people in their place, along with those who are adamant about the faulty spirits deconfirm theory.

I was too burned by the Grinch leak to ever truly expect him, but i’m just hoping and hoping that the stars align.
Geno's confirmation would kill almost every argument that haters have for characters that are seen by them as "unrelevant" "impossible" "obscure" choices that most would consider would have a snowballs chance in hell. Only other barrier that would break the gaming wall completely would be Shantae as her inclusion would get rid of the sense that "Indie characters can't be playable in Smash."

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So, while I'm thinking about it, I wanted to see where the thread stands on an issue of importance. Assuming we end up getting our star boy, what do you think would be the better final smash: geno flash, or geno whirl?

Personally, I'm on board with geno flash, because I've always liked the spectacle of geno's special moves. I think a big flashy explosion would be great. What do you guys think?
Geno Flash makes the most sense. I had an idea for his Final Smash months ago I called "Geno Grand Finale". AoE burst of star energy and anyone caught in it triggers the FS cutscene. Geno uses Geno Blast to stun the fighters. As the rainbow energy is showering down on them, Geno jumps back and transforms into the cannon to unleash Geno Flash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Its funny how Square has been misleading with the music in the Smash trailers every time.

Cloud's uses Opening - Bombing Mission at the start of his trailer, but its not one of the TWO SONGS he has bundled with him.

Geno's costume played Beware the Forest's Mushrooms on the splash screen, but its not downloadable either.

Hero has DQ3's Adventure (Orchestra version) in his second half of the trailer, but he comes with the MIDI version instead.

So do we have to be skeptical with Square news in Smash since we won't get exactly what is shown?
You're making it sound like the exact same thing didn't happen with Joker and isn't unique to Square Enix.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think TheCJBrine TheCJBrine would be in the best position to answer that question, seeing as he's the most informed about it.
I mean Monster Hunter only has a boss...

But there’s way more people that want/like the idea of Steve or are open to him than there are people who aren’t. I guess it’s the same for MH but still.

Personally I’m just tired of haters that push their opinions as facts or bring up a “deserving argument” when it’s a videogame...and Steve should fit that anyway, heheh. I also find the “art style would clash with Smash” excuse to be bad when all of the series have a different style and this is subjective anyway; I personally think Steve would look fine. I also find this to be a bad excuse when “give it a stage” is brought up in the same post; if you think Steve would clash, then the stage would clash as well, and if Steve is a fighter then there’s no reason at all to make him and his stage separate. Some should-be-subjective-but-are-treated-as-fact-for-some-reason arguments are also dumb because of Villager.

anyway to actually answer the context here...yeah I don’t see a reason for them to be separate. A lot of Minecraft fans still care about Steve to whatever extent, whether it’s because of seeing a personality in him based off surroundings and Minecraft’s silly stuff or whatever, growing up with him as an icon and face to their favorite game, or simply because they like his look and, in a Smash context, he could be very fun to play. Plus, on the Minecraft subreddit alone, you can find art and builds here and there that feature Steve and sometimes are for Steve specifically or him and Alex, and Steve/Smash videos always get a good number of likes and far outnumber dislikes~

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Definitely Geno Flash. Turning into a cannon and firing giant explosion is so appropriate for a Final Smash it's not even funny.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
You're making it sound like the exact same thing didn't happen with Joker and isn't unique to Square Enix.
Something similar happened in Smash 4. In the Bowser Jr video his theme from Mario Galaxy 2 was played at some point, but it wasn’t in the final game at all

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ve said before, but honestly I still feel geno blast would be the best fs for him. Geno flash is neat and all, but blast just looks more badass imo. Him sending a signal out above to rain down light beams of death on his enemies just looks way more awesome imo than him morphing into a canon to shoot a sun with a kirby face that explodes in a comical way.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Geno Flash for MAXIMUM STAR POWER!!!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If you know it sounds rude, why are you still saying it?

Anyway, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise "boring" is not an objective term. A lot of people simply don't think he's boring, I don't get why it's so hard to understand.
Just because other people like it doesn't mean everyone has to like it. If you have an opinion of a character whether it's positive or negative you shouldn't conform it to what other people think. I don't care what other people think but to me Steve is like one of the worst looking design character and I can never see how any Minecraft mechanic can legitimately work in Smash Bros without it being too overpowered or extremely useless.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
and yet, for whatever reason, Geno's this wonder-child of impossibility because of *checks notes* a PNG and Square Enix having 2 DLC characters is a big no-no-ah-boo-boo according to literally no-one?
And to add to the whole “Square having 2 DLC” refutation...Geno is only a Square character by legal construct. His representation is of a Mario game. A game that exists solely on Nintendo consoles.

People who don’t know anything about Geno aren’t gonna know about the legal underpinnings of the character. If he gets in Smash, he’s gonna read like a Mario character...Because he is one.

So in every way apart from IP ownership, he’s not a second Square rep. It’d be a vastly different discussion if we were talking about Sora, or even Crono.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know a lot of people have been asking "what's so important about EVO" so I wanted to go over something. In the "gamer" calendar, there's basically four events that have big international importance: GDC in March, E3 in June, EVO in July or August, and the VGAs in December. There's other big events like Gamescom for Europe and TGS for Japan but big, sweeping announcements are not as common and Nintendo has a long history of flat out not participating at TGS and just repeating their E3 content at Gamescom. GDC also very rarely has big announcements at it because it's mostly seminars and presentations about game development. When it comes to actual video game competition, EVO is like the Superbowl or the World Cup so big announcements have become very commonplace at it. Like I said, outside of Directs, Nintendo doesn't have a big, international stage for an announcement again until the VGAs, where they announced Joker last year. At least at this time, Nintendo seems to be deliberately saving these DLC announcements for these big stage show events. EVO for #4 and the VGAs again for #5 would not at all be unreasonable.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh ****! Does that mean the Season Pass characters are Ultimate's last newcomers? I really hope that isn't the case.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai meant for the base game when he said that. It wasn't related to DLC at all, especially since the DLC from Nintendo counts as 'adding' to the project plan. Not only that, but I also don't see them planning another season pass or something until after this one is done anyway.

As for FS, Geno Flash all the way. Geno Whirl is best as a side-B, I feel.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure it's been said, but I really have a lot of confidence that if Geno is gonna be revealed at all, he's going to be in the Fighter Pass. I think now that they've released what I'd consider the hype additions in Banjo and Hero, the next two can be those out-of-left-field picks that nicely tie up the end of the Fighter Pass. Geno would make sense since he's a hugely-requested character and thus provides the completeness of the dream team of Most Wanted, and someone else could come in that might be a surprise as well... but I don't know who to really speculate there.

I think that the Bonus Character theory is cool, but there's little to no evidence to totally suggest that this is the way things will go. If Geno is revealed, I'd be hardpressed to believe he won't show up with a stage (likely the Mushroom Forest), those 2 particular songs and the Final Fantasy costumes. There's so much evidence to back up that he's a likely contender that I'm having my trouble remaining neutral about his chances anymore - this isn't even including leaker comments or speculation from the community.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Geno's gonna be a bonus fighter either, but there is a possibility. Remember, Corrin did come with two songs in Smash 4. So if Geno did get in as a bonus, I think that Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against An Armed Boss could be songs that came with Geno.

Firox

Smash Master
For Geno's specials, I'm a firm believer in the following setup:

Neutral B: Geno Beam, complete with triple star charge-up by holding B, charge cannot be stored akin to Water Shuriken and Hero's Side B.
Side B: Geno Whirl, he throws the destructo disk horizontally across the screen. It should travel at least three-quarters of the way across FD and if you press B just as it hits an opponent, it deals double damage and knockback.
Up B: Rocket Punch. Geno fires both arms downward, similar to megaman's down air with the possibility to spike. The thrust pushes Geno upward with the same distance as Inkling or Sonic's recovery.
Down B: Geno Boost. Hold B for up to three seconds to increase the damage output and knock-back of his standard attacks proportionately. The effect lasts for a duration of 10-15 seconds. If you manage to hold B for the full three seconds uninterrupted, then you hear the "Doo-ding" sound effect and his damage over the next 10-15 seconds is halved in addition to the attack buffs.

Final Smash: Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon and fires the exploding sun animation towards the center of the screen, akin to Rosalina's star blast but similar in range to a smart bomb/Magical Burst.

I'm sorry, just looking at this, how can anyone say that Geno doesn't fit like a glove into the Smash bros format? He's a total shoe-in! Sakurai wouldn't even have to invent a moveset from nothing like he did with Wii Fit, ROB or Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I know people have said "Joker had 6 mii costumes and Hero had 4, so 2 are missing! That is odd huh?"

I have stretched this morning so allow me to reach a bit. I do not think it is odd when we consider this.
Lets look at Sm4sh. Cloud gets introduced with Chocobo hat and Geno costume along. Cloud has 2 alts. 2 alts = 2 mii costumes.
Hero, in Ultimate, gets introduced and has Erdrick, martial artist, Veronica and Slime hat costumes along. Hero has 4 alts. 4 alts = 4 mii costumes.

I rest my case! :4pacman: *dab dab dab dab dab dab dab dab*

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Sketched Geno in a fun scenario today during Economics. Will go over with digital paint later. I think we all could use the end result a bit.

Title: "Waiting on EVO Be Like..."

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Source Gaming just tweeted about the following featured content. It's a good watch. :')

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I know the conversation happened a page ago. But I am perfectly fine with Steve now that I have Banjo.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I know a lot of people have been asking "what's so important about EVO" so I wanted to go over something. In the "gamer" calendar, there's basically four events that have big international importance: GDC in March, E3 in June, EVO in July or August, and the VGAs in December. There's other big events like Gamescom for Europe and TGS for Japan but big, sweeping announcements are not as common and Nintendo has a long history of flat out not participating at TGS and just repeating their E3 content at Gamescom. GDC also very rarely has big announcements at it because it's mostly seminars and presentations about game development. When it comes to actual video game competition, EVO is like the Superbowl or the World Cup so big announcements have become very commonplace at it. Like I said, outside of Directs, Nintendo doesn't have a big, international stage for an announcement again until the VGAs, where they announced Joker last year. At least at this time, Nintendo seems to be deliberately saving these DLC announcements for these big stage show events. EVO for #4 and the VGAs again for #5 would not at all be unreasonable.
Getting to learn about DLC #4 at EVO would be nice, but learning about that a little over a month after learning about 2 characters and then having to wait 4 for the last DLC character would be kinda weird. granted it wouldn't be the first time we had a long wait between DLC characters, since we dealt with Joker to E32019, but with that wait we ended up getting 2 characters out of it.

Eh, I dunno, I kinda feel like we might have to wait a little longer still for the 4th DLC character. I could see whoever it is being revealed during a September direct.

I could definitely see DLC #5 being revealed at the VGAs later this year though. Would also be a perfect time to announce a February 2020 release date.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Source Gaming just tweeted about the following featured content. It's a good watch. :')

Damn that was fantastic

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If you know it sounds rude, why are you still saying it?

Anyway, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise "boring" is not an objective term. A lot of people simply don't think he's boring, I don't get why it's so hard to understand.
I apologize. I realize I should have worded this better. To be fair, it should have been very clear that this was nothing more than an opinion and one that I actually want to change. Which is why I asked for help understanding what would make Steve so special in Smash. Your comment literally only makes me want him less because it was unhelpful and rude in return. But I deserved that so I'm not gonna go overboard about it.

I respect Minecraft and think that it does deserve to have a spot somehow in gaming's biggest crossover but struggle to imagine how Steve is the best way for that to happen. So I took some time to help myself a little since no one could actually answer my question and while I still have Steve as a bottom of the bucket kind of pick for me personally I respect him more after I started thinking about what could make him unique other than his appearance because a pickaxe sure ain't gonna do the trick in Smash. Here's my main takeaway:

Minecraft is all about building so what if Steve had a mechanic where he could place blocks on the field that were destructible but each block was random and had different properties? Like lava, obsidian, metal, diamond, ice, sand, dirt, wood, etc and basically had a sort of health bar in order to remove it from the field. Of course there would have to be some kind of limit to how many of these he could place to keep it feasible. He could also use blocks for some of his attacks like a forward smash like villagers where he drops a block on your head. Blocks would mainly be used for disrupting opponent movement options and projectiles and such. That certainly would make him very unique and not boring in my opinion.

See I need thoughts like these. Do you have any of these kinds of ideas that will better help me understand Steve as a unique option as a fighter in Smash even if they're just links to places where people are posting stuff about this kind of stuff? These are the kind of thoughts I need. I do not need blanket statements. Those will not help me understand Steve's viability as a fighter. If you don't get why it's hard to understand that he's not boring then you should be able to provide a discourse regarding this subject.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

This dude sounds like Bruce from Family Guy and I love it. Seriously, listen to this video with this image in mind, it's uncanny.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
As far as Steve is concerned it's kind of telling when Minecraft staff say stuff like this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I guess it could some 4d galaxy brain Grant Kirkhope epic trolling but uh

I doubt it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Oh my God... This video was brilliant but I was not emotionally prepared for the Velveteen Rabbit paired with Rosalina's storytime or the ending. Guys... You have to watch this video... It absolutely nails what this fanbase is about.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

That was a fantastic watch. It puts a lot of things into perspective after letting it sink in afterwards.

Also MisterMike MisterMike glad I was not the only one that was thinking that!

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice that was one of the earliest books I read as a kid. What an incredible comparison and yeah, was not ready for that, man.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace

Both, like Ryu and Ken ^^

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Oh my God... This video was brilliant but I was not emotionally prepared for the Velveteen Rabbit paired with Rosalina's storytime or the ending. Guys... You have to watch this video... It absolutely nails what this fanbase is about.
I thought that overall it was a good video that brought up a lot of great points! That said, I thought it was strange that they used the fact that Geno is a side character as a point of contention when compared to Ridley and K. Rool when characters like Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, and Ashley oftentimes rank pretty highly among fan requests as well.

Also the way things were framed made it seem like when people try to figure out why others hype Geno they’re usually underwhelmed and annoyed. And while I know that accounts for some people I feel like it could have been mentioned that there are quite a lot of people who look up the character and SMRPG because of Smash speculation and end up getting really into him. I mean you don’t end up in the top 10 to top 3 places in fan polls for wanted newcomers just by only maintaining a small group of niche fans and alienating everyone else.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As far as Steve is concerned it's kind of telling when Minecraft staff say stuff like this:
I guess it could some 4d galaxy brain Grant Kirkhope epic trolling but uh

I doubt it
Aubrey is a community manager, and there’s more than just her; she may also be the senior manager but she was just giving her own opinion, to a guy who is known for always using a Steve skin funnily enough, and she doesn’t work on the game itself. The Mojang staff and devs have said nothing on the matter or anything regarding their opinions on Steve or him in Smash. A Switch Edition dev said he liked the idea of Steve or a Creeper in Smash, saying this to the guy who asked about Steve in Smash at Minecon. And back to Aubrey, she also seems a bit trollish tweeting “Minecraft Steve” close to E3 and she herself likes the idea of a Minecraft Skeleton being in Smash.

There was a new Mojang employee saying Steve ain’t gonna Smash in the Minecraft discord earlier this year (I think), but since he was new we weren’t sure plus he didn’t give his opinion on Steve, just further clarifying his statement by saying he just heard the rumors and didn’t believe them, saying the same happened for Maxwell in Smash 4 and saying something akin to “maybe one of my characters will be in Smash someday.”

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
In potentially relevant news, Sabi just leaked BlazBlu's EVO announcement on Twitter, now confirming that at least 3 of the 9 games have announcements attached to them.
And given that Janemba was likely being saved for DB FighterZ's Evo announcement, you can chalk that up to 4 at least.

D

Deleted member

Now, one reveal I would love to see happening at EVO is...
Marvel vs Capcom 4/5
Don’t tell this to the people outside this or the Hero thread doh.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Have to say that would be a really impressive Evo if every game had an announcement attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom