• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GENESIS MATCHES HERE! [Updates Reguarly.]

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
Actually scar and darkrain did play w/. darkrain winning.
forget scar, he won genisis

im talking about ss and darkrain

3 freakin days and they even took this picture together
whats wrong with them

loooooooooooosers

strawhats

Smash Master
yeah that still pisses me off

how do they not play, the situation was so perfect

I know ss lost to Tope in brackets but MM/ friendlis was the next best thing

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Grand Finals were amazing to watch. Armada is too good, and Mango can read minds, ha ha.

TyO.

Smash Rookie
I just have to disagree. I mean, Jiggz/Peach has to be the most boring match up that can happen in Melee.
Both players are amazing, Armada's combos are really awesome. But man I hate Mango, he can beat everyone with his Falco and he's just playin his Jiggz to be sure to win that ****ing money.

He don't want to do the show, he don't care about that. I'm really wondering how do you guys enjoyed these ****ed up Grand Finals, sayin this was maybe the best GF ever recorded (WHAT A JOKE). I've been waiting for these match for too long, i'm really disappointed. Hope that players like DSW, Zhu, SS and others will win major tournaments, they just keep Melee alive.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I agree with one thing, Peach vs. Jigglypuff probably is the most boring match up in Melee to watch, but the reason why these grand finals were amazing was because they made it less boring. A lot less boring.

Those rests? That stitch face combo? You kidding me? If you thought these were boring your not a Melee fan.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
I just have to disagree. I mean, Jiggz/Peach has to be the most boring match up that can happen in Melee.
Both players are amazing, Armada's combos are really awesome. But man I hate Mango, he can beat everyone with his Falco and he's just playin his Jiggz to be sure to win that ****ing money.

He don't want to do the show, he don't care about that. I'm really wondering how do you guys enjoyed these ****ed up Grand Finals, sayin this was maybe the best GF ever recorded (WHAT A JOKE). I've been waiting for these match for too long, i'm really disappointed. Hope that players like DSW, Zhu, SS and others will win major tournaments, they just keep Melee alive.
You dont seem to realize how amazing those matches actually were. For one if you were there you would be agreeing with what everyone else said (trust me)

as well look at how well both characters were being played. A peach that could actually combo and edge guard so well! The spacing these too had were second to none! And their mind games were insane.

Of course Mango went Jiggs to try and win, it's what you do in tournies, you try to win. In winners finals his falco was beaten, so he actually did what only M2K beforehand could make him do, pull out Puff. Mango was actually being pressured and was making stupid mistakes (not jump cancelling or wavedashing out of shield and just standing there to be punished). Armada proved himself against the best and those two put on a hell of a show.

Saying thats its boring is almost like an insult to everything that happened at that tourney. It was an amazing match by two very good players. Although you are entitled to your opinion I guess.

TyO.

Smash Rookie
When Mango plays, everyone's like "OH MY GOD **** YEAH", this is ridiculous. Watching him playing with his puff is boring. He is by far the best player in the world actually, but dominate everybody like this, it's disgusting.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

I respect your opinion for not liking Mango, as there are numerous reasons why so...

But you are making yourself look like a huge idiot when you start making baseless assumptions. Mango care as much as you think about the money, he cares more about the glory and pride of West Coast / USA.

Also, you saying in a later post that "he dominates everybody and it's disgusting" is stupid. Armada went pretty even with Mango, and actually he took off an entire set off him (the second one in over a year) and came VERY close to beating him. Disgusting? How is that disgusting? The reason why he's so good is because he can read people and he's practiced. Besides, he's not like a total god that dominates everybody, he still loses occasionally in friendlies and MMs.

The grand finals were fine, there was nothing wrong with them. When two of one of the best players in the world go head to head in a battle of reading each other and spacing, I don't see how that can be boring, and I know that most people would agree with me. If you don't like the matches, then don't watch them and don't complain. That simple.

Foxy

Smash Master
I agree with one thing, Peach vs. Jigglypuff probably is the most boring match up in Melee to watch, but the reason why these grand finals were amazing was because they made it less boring. A lot less boring.

Those rests? That stitch face combo? You kidding me? If you thought these were boring your not a Melee fan.
Exactly.

I was actually quite unhappy at the prospect of having to sit through THREE sets of Mango vs Armada which would be mostly Peach vs Jigglypuff, a terrible matchup between two floaties with safe recoveries and no combos.

But watching probably the two best players in the world play the matchup was incredible.

For one, Armada actually landed 2, 3, 4 hit combos on JIGGLYPUFF with PEACH, which you can hardly ever do to Jiggs with any other character in the roster; Peach can't even combo other characters at all, barring fastfallers.

As one Youtube comment said, one of the matches was 7 minutes on Dream Land but you couldn't take your eyes off it or blink for even a second.

I think the whole set was really riveting, seeing the precision and the amazing tactics by the two players was the best show I've ever seen in Smash.

Watching something like DSW vs M2K, it's fast-paced and exciting but I never get the strong feeling like they're the best in the world, I just get to watch a lot of nice-but-standard Falco combos and a lot of nice-but-standard Marth combos on spacies and a few gimps.

Mango vs Armada was completely different - the best in the world playing like the best in the world at the biggest tournament in history, you could watch them play perfectly and do some things you've never seen before (apart from most of Mango's Puff, because Puff is just hard to reinvent).

TyO.

Smash Rookie
I love Melee, i'm so happy that even if the game isn't sposorised at all by the MLG or EVO tournaments, the community continues to play and do a LOT of tournaments. I'm not sayin that these players aren't good, I'm just talking about the GF.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I love Melee, i'm so happy that even if the game isn't sposorised at all by the MLG or EVO tournaments, the community continues to play and do a LOT of tournaments. I'm not sayin that these players aren't good, I'm just talking about the GF.
well to each his own

pockyD

Smash Legend
honestly out of the moment, the matches were for the most part incredibly boring

but throw a few thousand dollars on the line and slap some huge names on the characters and i find it hard to believe anybody who hadn't seen them already didn't get sucked into the action

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
honestly out of the moment, the matches were for the most part incredibly boring

but throw a few thousand dollars on the line and slap some huge names on the characters and i find it hard to believe anybody who hadn't seen them already didn't get sucked into the action
i couldnt agree more

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Pfff, child's play compared to what happened on 0:37. Now that's broken. Use throw invulnerability frames to avoid getting kneed and partner to knee hostage instead. Too good.
Actually, that was a backthrow, not an upthrow.

And strawhats, thanks for the compliments and everything, but I'm not even close to M2K's level. I did model my Marth basics off of him though <_<.

TyO.

Smash Rookie

That's what I tought. But I was waiting for too long to see these matchs... When I saw them I was ****ing disappointed. Even winners finals beetwin these two players were better. And like I said before, just put Mango on the screen and people goes crazy.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I couldn't care less who was driving those characters. The set was easily more entertaining than either of the DSW vs M2K sets.

You must not be good enough at the game to understand how brilliant those games were. A 7 minute game where I didn't even scroll down to read the YT comments, and even re-watched the same game twice more in the same night, with two of the most floaty characters, on the largest neutral is saying something.

Samochan

Smash Master
Actually, that was a backthrow, not an upthrow.

And strawhats, thanks for the compliments and everything, but I'm not even close to M2K's level. I did model my Marth basics off of him though <_<.
I just said throw in general, not a directional throw. -_-' Read before trying to correct people pls. >.>

But really, both winners finals and grand finals were quite intense. I favor winners more cause armada played a tiny bit better on those, but they were hardly boring matches. Even though I knew the results, I was glued to my seat when seeing the final match on set one gf. It was way too close and both player did ridiculous things in the whole duration of the sets. There was only little standard combos and such in the matches, both players continuously invented something new, outsmarted opponent and did crazy stuff no one ever though possible.

Foxy

Smash Master
I couldn't care less who was driving those characters. The set was easily more entertaining than either of the DSW vs M2K sets.

You must not be good enough at the game to understand how brilliant those games were. A 7 minute game where I didn't even scroll down to read the YT comments, and even re-watched the same game twice more in the same night, with two of the most floaty characters, on the largest neutral is saying something.
This is exactly how I felt.

Maybe some people didn't make sense of the matches like some of us did... but I was locked on watching and rewatching them.

TyO.

Smash Rookie

This argument makes no sense. I'm not the only one who thinks that, and I know what I'm talking about. Of course I'm not at the same level that Mango or Armada. And DSW/M2K were really better imo.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Everyones entitles to their own opinion ^_^

But again I will say this. Being there cheering with the crowd, gasping, and jumping up and down after the end of those amazing matches was too great. Watching it on youtube almost feels disappointing versus actually being there. Heres to hopin Pound 4 can re create some of the awesome that occured at Genesis

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
both sides of this arguement suck tbh, you need to understand each others point of view >_>

for those of you saying the GFs were one of the best sets ever, you can see why people would prefer others. the characters were two of the most 'boring' (if you can say that) in terms of combos. even though mango and armada took them to a whole other level, many people will always love the insane combos of falco falcon or fox over anything a peach or jiggs can do. and the matches were very even and tit for tat, which means there were long periods of relatively no 'action' happening, and there was no real insane comebacks etc. or combo dominance, just a lot of appreciation of smart play and technical skill.

for those not understanding why these GFs are so great, the first fact is im better you werent there (i wasnt either but im not gonna doubt everyone that WAS there saying how intense the atmpsphere was). the commentary and the audio from waffles youtube gives you a sense of the hype though, as this was the culmination of the biggest melee tourney, with the first real shake and test of mango's reign. whoever you were rooting for, mango for homegrown loyalty or armada for the fairytale story, you invest a lot into watching that set, more than making up for the lack of 'action'. also the characters, esp peach, were taken to a whole new level of play, and it had some insane '.Gif' moments such as the rests and stitchface combo.

TyO.

Smash Rookie
both sides of this arguement suck tbh, you need to understand each others point of view >_>

for those of you saying the GFs were one of the best sets ever, you can see why people would prefer others. the characters were two of the most 'boring' (if you can say that) in terms of combos. even though mango and armada took them to a whole other level, many people will always love the insane combos of falco falcon or fox over anything a peach or jiggs can do. and the matches were very even and tit for tat, which means there were long periods of relatively no 'action' happening, and there was no real insane comebacks etc. or combo dominance, just a lot of appreciation of smart play and technical skill.

for those not understanding why these GFs are so great, the first fact is im better you werent there (i wasnt either but im not gonna doubt everyone that WAS there saying how intense the atmpsphere was). the commentary and the audio from waffles youtube gives you a sense of the hype though, as this was the culmination of the biggest melee tourney, with the first real shake and test of mango's reign. whoever you were rooting for, mango for homegrown loyalty or armada for the fairytale story, you invest a lot into watching that set, more than making up for the lack of 'action'. also the characters, esp peach, were taken to a whole new level of play, and it had some insane '.Gif' moments such as the rests and stitchface combo.

Man I understand what you are talking about the atmosphere, the crowd always screamin, impressed by the combos from Armada. I just have to agree that this is really amazing but the matches themselves aren't so good to watch, I'm just sayin.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Thanks for recording/uploading all these vids. Their quality are excellent.

I do love how we have two threads for Genesis videos, ha ha.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
If these GF matches were boring to you, I doubt you're any good at this game. This was very high-level fighting game finesse on display, and reminded me much of the EVO2K9 GF between Wong and Daigo. If you showed these matches to the SF community; anyone able to get around the fact that two pink Nintendo characters are on display would find much to be impressed about (alas, most wouldn't be able to get around the characters).

Zoning, intense spacing, baiting, footsies even, it's all there (wouldn't be surprised if most of you didn't even know what most of those terms mean).

Never been so riveted by that match-up. Watched each vid like three times already. Both player managed to take characters I previously had no interest in and make them interesting.

-Kimo

TyO.

Smash Rookie
You're thinking bad. I don't have to be M2K or a top player to think this is boring. WTF with you guys thinking i'm bad ? These matchs disappointed me, that's my opinion and I told you why.

jugfingers

Smash Champion

umm did you see the match where he got 3 stocked using falco lol??? obviously hes going to use a character he can win with?

Never let everlasting yay near a commentary microphone again

please
amen, why is there always some annoying *** commentator in important matches

Man I understand what you are talking about the atmosphere, the crowd always screamin, impressed by the combos from Armada. I just have to agree that this is really amazing but the matches themselves aren't so good to watch, I'm just sayin.
even if they were random friendlies with no crowd or commentators, the quality of play in these matches was above anything previously witnessed.

the atmosphere has little to do with what made these matches amazing.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
You're thinking bad. I don't have to be M2K or a top player to think this is boring. WTF with you guys thinking i'm bad ? These matchs disappointed me, that's my opinion and I told you why.
You know, there's nothing wrong with being bad at a game. If you had a better understanding of high level mechanisms, chances are, you'd recognize what the big deal is about these matches. Obviously, I'm making "harsh" assumptions and I don't know you -- you could be a monster -- but that's doubtful, given the (admittedly tenuous) evidence on display.

-Kimo

TyO.

Smash Rookie
Do you really understand what I mean ? I never said they played not really good, these players are skilled as hell, Mango's probably the most technical Melee player, and Armada one of the only Peach that can combo...

But these matchs didn't entertained me at all.

TyO.

Smash Rookie
It's like I offent you by not enjoyin the GF and your only argument is that i'm bad at Melee so I can't understand. You'd better watch the others videos from Genesis.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Do you really understand what I mean ? I never said they played not really good, these players are skilled as hell, Mango's probably the most technical Melee player, and Armada one of the only Peach that can combo...

But these matchs didn't entertained me at all.
LOL dude....

the reason these matches are amazing isn't due to the technical ability of the players

thats why synikal is saying your probably bad at this game, because it seems you weren't able to pick up on the actual battle that was taking place.

like when goku is fighting frieza and piccolo is says he can't follow their movements.

except in this situation its not the speed of the players but rather the mental struggle of trickery and tomfoolery that took place.

strawhats

Smash Master
I respect your opinion for not liking Mango, as there are numerous reasons why so...

But you are making yourself look like a huge idiot when you start making baseless assumptions. Mango care as much as you think about the money, he cares more about the glory and pride of West Coast / USA.

Also, you saying in a later post that "he dominates everybody and it's disgusting" is stupid. Armada went pretty even with Mango, and actually he took off an entire set off him (the second one in over a year) and came VERY close to beating him. Disgusting? How is that disgusting? The reason why he's so good is because he can read people and he's practiced. Besides, he's not like a total god that dominates everybody, he still loses occasionally in friendlies and MMs.

The grand finals were fine, there was nothing wrong with them. When two of one of the best players in the world go head to head in a battle of reading each other and spacing, I don't see how that can be boring, and I know that most people would agree with me. If you don't like the matches, then don't watch them and don't complain. That simple.
The only people that could even come close to unbeatable in their primes were M2K in 2006-07, Ken and Isai in teams for those 2 years, and Ken was dominant in his era. Not to mention Isai who is just god like in ssb 64. Mango is soo good b/c. he adapts to his opponents in clutch situations, and his spacing is just other worldly, hence why he came from behind and beat armada. Trust me after seeing armada, I think he and mango will be rivals for a long time, and armada will eventually surpass mango, m2k, and all the Smash Kings of the Past.

strawhats

Smash Master
I have come to the conclusion that armada not only looks like m2k in his younger days but also plays like m2k w/. his peach. His skillfull edge guarding abilities off the stage, close range skills, ridiculous combos and tricks, and the speed that he uses peah with. The only thing that makes armada's potential so much scarier is his ability to adapt. The only people that could put a brush to mango's hair is armada, and m2k if he so chooses to be god- like and focus on melee again( Needs to play marth more often).

GOTM

Smash Champion
yeah honestly the fact that m2k is like almost top placing in both games is insane. if he only focused on one i am 100% sure he would like never lose, lol

Top Bottom