• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
whenever i try to play smash while drunk i have trouble paying attention to my character. but when i CAN pay attention i wreck.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
whats the matchup against snake like? 30:70?

According to the matchup thread, yes :)

Question: One of my mains is the ice climbers but tbh, I'm not really a fan of the chaingrabs. I often get punished in my attempts due to their short grab reach and I like the other aspects of playing as them. Basically, is it okay that as an Ice Climbers player I place priority on their other moves rather than their grabs?

Prawn

Smash Master
According to the matchup thread, yes :)

Question: One of my mains is the ice climbers but tbh, I'm not really a fan of the chaingrabs. I often get punished in my attempts due to their short grab reach and I like the other aspects of playing as them. Basically, is it okay that as an Ice Climbers player I place priority on their other moves rather than their grabs?
Grab when you are given a grab opportunity and make sure you capitalize. To truly play ICs well against better players you need to learn how to do damage and set up grabs with other moves, while feeling like you're controlling the pace of the match and not "chasing for a grab".

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I don't know very much about Ice Climbers. I'm only just starting to play as them, and I've never fought any good ones. But it seems to me that Frigate Orpheon might be a bad stage for them. Is this true?

I've checked in the Index thread for a Stage discussion thread, but it's a year and a half old and it hadn't decided Frigate yet. lol

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yes, frigate is a bad stage. luckily we do well on... well, every neutral stage. the more i'm looking at it i do believe that ICs are top tier, if not S.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Most stages that are dynamic usually aren't good for the ICs. Unfortunately that includes a lot of common counterpick stages.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
For some reason...I tend to not do as bad as I would expect on some bad stages (Norfair, Frig, RC,) Brinstar......can just die.

But yeah, I just CP chars anyway so my IC's don't get wrecked.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Maybe at low percentages. I think Marth could have gotten out before you started the CG both times. Also, he could have gotten out before you ended with usmash; most people don't, but if you hear your opponent really wailing on his/her controller, just CG a bit longer instead.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Are there any methods to improve the speed?

EDIT: The marth player was pretty bad btw, and probably isn't an expert masher hence why he didn't get out.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
PRACTICE!

Make it so that you CG on instincts, you need to do it as quick as possible so you have to train yourself you CG like a douche against people :"3

Edit: Btw, get that leet post count!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If you need to practice chaingrabs, I recommend that you don't do it in training mode. Do it against a level 3 computer so you can get the feel of it in a real match. Or just play people. Whatever you want.

meepxzero

Smash Master
buffering is the fastest method. Its basically doing the inputs ahead of time so they automatically do them. If you buffer bthrow dthrow u can do them on platforms too with no fear of fallling through. Ic cg almost becomes easy as wobbles in melee if you master buffering.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If you're buffering correctly, shouldn't Nana have a small shield pop up in between the grabs? That's how I know if "I'm doing it right" >_> If I see that little shield.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you're buffering correctly, shouldn't Nana have a small shield pop up in between the grabs? That's how I know if "I'm doing it right" >_> If I see that little shield.
It depends on what throws you are doing. Usually there is no shield when buffering though.

And yeah, it's possible to mash out in like 1 frame before 40%. I literally HAVE to buffer my throws if I grab a few players here under 40% because otherwise they pop out right away. And I have to buffer dthrow -> Dthrow because Bthrow you have to wait too long for nana from the first grab. I start bthrow- dthrow after the double buffered dthrow and it works though.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
When doing BThrow to DThrow, when that little shield pops up it's a little easier to make Nana turn around or whatever. :x It's hard to explain but it's there! D:<

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
When doing BThrow to DThrow, when that little shield pops up it's a little easier to make Nana turn around or whatever. :x It's hard to explain but it's there! D:<
I don't think it pops up when you buffer. You don't need to buffer bthrow-dthrow though >_>. I will test it in a bit. I have the shield pop up as well when I do it.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I think if you buffer it perfectly there is no shield. When the shield pops up its probably only a couple frames of difference though and you're still going hella fast. You'd rather have the shield come up every time than have nana grab nothing and give them a free break.

I find it a lot harder to CG heavies fast but Im getting better.

edit: actually I think the shield can still come up when you are buffering because it still works on platforms when the shield comes up. Wouldn't that mean its buffered? You can probably buffer at different times when your CGing

Smoom77

Smash Master
Has this desync been invented, or is it just a landing lag desync?

Jump>Immediate Iceblock(like 1/2sec after jumping),iceblock after landing.

I think it's just landing lag?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I didn't realise that it was possible to mash out so fast XD

Maybe Australians just aren't as pro at mashing lol.
Australians are terrible at mashing lmao

When the cao comes back from genesis he can teach me to button mash like a pro :3

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
That's a pivot desynch.

Starts at about 0:08 in this video:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqDnr-_YZ_I&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqDnr-_YZ_I&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

meepxzero

Smash Master
The little shield makes the cg faster. You cant buffer dthrow to bthrow in the cg. Nana will always regrab because nana recovers way too fast after dthrow. The window is very small like 2 frames to get outta that cg (putting shield up and dropping is i guess a frame each?). YOU CAN buffer bthrow to dthrow tho and it makes the cg a lot easier to time. Same with dthrow dthrow on heavies, but im probably the only ic main who does dthrow dthrow on heavies (fthrow is such a poopie alt grab).

IxxI

Smash Fence
Which is more enjoyable to you guys?
CG > Spike or CG > USmash?

I personally love ending a CG with a spike.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Which is more enjoyable to you guys?
CG > Spike or CG > USmash?

I personally love ending a CG with a spike.
CG > USmash, because I can do it consistently.

On the topic of chaingrabs, I'm having trouble continuing the FThrow chaingrab. After practicing for ages, I can do FThrow > regrab once every three tries roughly. But how do you keep on doing it? Popo is always too far away. So far, I do it by grabbing, smashing the control stick right and setting it back to neutral ASAP, then do that again while pressing grab at the same time. Am I doing something wrong here?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure youre not supposed to smash the control stick ever when doing the Alt. Fthrow CG.
What I do is tilt the ctick so that Popo throws and Nana barely moves. Then I time the grab and rinse and repeat. Also, I may be wrong but the timing for Popo>Nana and Nana>Popo feels different to me.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure youre not supposed to smash the control stick ever when doing the Alt. Fthrow CG.
What I do is tilt the ctick so that Popo throws and Nana barely moves. Then I time the grab and rinse and repeat. Also, I may be wrong but the timing for Popo>Nana and Nana>Popo feels different to me.
nana is 6 frames behind. you need compensate.

Top Bottom