• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
The in-game voice acting was a lower bitrate because they were running out of room on the disc. Personally I think it adds a ton of charm to the game and I like it a lot, despite it being something I'm sure the developers wish they could've avoided

I don't get when people say the combat in XII is boring. For bosses I can agree, they weren't especially epic, but when you're grinding you'd rather have the screen swoosh and the camera circle around for a few seconds and the same battle theme play everytime a bunch of killer plants attack? Random battles are the most mind-numbing thing ever

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it removed the tedious combat of having to press the Confirm button to get through battles. Now it was all about just using the analog stick every now and then and letting the game decide when to do all the inputs for you. The Necromancer exploit is evidence of that. No rubber band needed to keep the X button held down. The game does it all for you.

The game can play itself. That's my biggest problem. I've done everything I could to remedy this problem. It doesn't work. I'm bored to tears.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Well utilizing Gambits in order to make a well-oiled war machine out of your party is sort of the point, and besides, who enjoys actively battling in areas where you're overpowered anyway? Do you?

The gameplay is more about the overall strategic approach to battle rather than by-action management. And when you're fighting an elite mark you've got too much to worry about already, why pause battle to make sure Penelo buffs your tank with haste when it runs out? The game played more like an RTS hybrid for me and I thought it was very refreshing. More so than going through the whole random battle startup just to one-shot some flans

Minato

穏やかじゃない
FF XII was fun when I didn't get potion lores or Quickenings. Once I got those, the game was pretty much on cruise control for me. All I had to do was just move the analog. Seriously though, FF games don't really have the greatest gameplay in the first place. Only gameplay I really liked was XIII. After awhile, battles got cumbersome. Go figure. lol

Wrath`

Smash Master
Quickenings were WAY overpowered, if I do find this game used and buy it, I am going to do a quickening-less run through.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Quickenings worked well on the storyline bosses and lots of mark hunts

However

Once you start doing the upper level hunts you can't afford to lose all the MP that using Quickenings will take, as even a few rounds won't take these enemies out. FFXII was definitely not an easy game if you did the hunts, and especially if you tried them as soon as they're available

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Quickenings worked well on the storyline bosses and lots of mark hunts

However

Once you start doing the upper level hunts you can't afford to lose all the MP that using Quickenings will take, as even a few rounds won't take these enemies out. FFXII was definitely not an easy game if you did the hunts, and especially if you tried them as soon as they're available
I meant simply getting Quickenings from the License Board. If I remember correctly, you received more MP and your MP recharged much faster. I could be wrong though. I never used the Quickening attacks themselves too often unless I was bored.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Well utilizing Gambits in order to make a well-oiled war machine out of your party is sort of the point, and besides, who enjoys actively battling in areas where you're overpowered anyway? Do you?
I do. I prefer actually being in the battle. If I want to sit there and let the game play itself at ANY POINT, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

The gameplay is more about the overall strategic approach to battle rather than by-action management. And when you're fighting an elite mark you've got too much to worry about already, why pause battle to make sure Penelo buffs your tank with haste when it runs out? The game played more like an RTS hybrid for me and I thought it was very refreshing. More so than going through the whole random battle startup just to one-shot some flans
There is a strategy involved. But it's most centered on setting those high priority gambits once and you're basically set. I've already completed the entire game -- albeit I'm short of a Zodiac Spear -- and did not change my gambits much.

I appreciated Square's attempt. It didn't fair well for me and I still hate the game. I take the common arguments supporting the game and look back on it and wonder what the fans are talking about. So, it's just my opinion.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
You misunderstood me. I was thoroughly disappointed with XIII. It's amazing how the common complaints of the game are absolutely undeniable: it's too linear, the characters are boring, the story is stupid, etc.

On the other hand, I went into XII with little expectation. I just tried to manage it and I despised every second of the game. The gameplay is by far the worst aspect. If XIII had anything that it excelled it, it was the gameplay. Sure, everything else botched the game but all in all, the combat was enough to get me hooked. XII's gameplay was "unique". But it was also atrociously boring.

So, I go back to what I said: "Thank god it's just an opinion".

VI? Not to my knowledge. What romance?
Lock and rachel??????!!!

This is (one) of the most epic moments on FF history :( i cried when rachel died :( ;_;

Also This own tidus :p

finalark

SNORLAX
So am I the only one who finds it funny that thirteen is considered an unlucky number and FFXIII ends up being considered one of the worst in the franchise?

And I'm thinking about doing a let's play of FF1, any suggestions or tips?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ And 7 is a lucky number and is held as one of the top 10 rpgs of all time. Yeah I think numbering is funny, makes me wonder what 30(XXX) and 69 will be like.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Quickenings were WAY overpowered, if I do find this game used and buy it, I am going to do a quickening-less run through.
Quickenings? To me, they were basically like G&W's judgement, but with high MP cost.
I didn't use them because I felt that it wasn't worth depleting that much MP on one attack.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Quickenings? To me, they were basically like G&W's judgement, but with high MP cost.
I didn't use them because I felt that it wasn't worth depleting that much MP on one attack.
Yes, however. I stocked up Megaelixirs and beat Gilgamesh @ lv50 just by spamming quickenings. It made it so easy.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Yes, however. I stocked up Megaelixirs and beat Gilgamesh @ lv50 just by spamming quickenings. It made it so easy.
I remember beating the 1st Gilgamesh encounter without Q's, but the second time I was 20 Lvs under him so I needed to do it many times.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
His stupid 1hitkill annoyed me so much, as he'd keep spamming it. It wasn't hard to deal with, just annoying and time consuming.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
felipe_9595 said:
Lock and rachel??????!!!

This is (one) of the most epic moments on FF history i cried when rachel died ;_;p

Also This own tidus :p
I supposed I considered that on the cusp of unnoticeable romances. It certainly didn't have much of an impression on me.

finalark said:
So am I the only one who finds it funny that thirteen is considered an unlucky number and FFXIII ends up being considered one of the worst in the franchise?
Good eye.

The Wrath of Koarin said:
I don't believe they were overpowered. The damage inflicted from it was pretty weak. All it did was ensure the opponent could not attack while you did one overdramatic move after another.

Wrath`

Smash Master
They did much more damage for me, I remember being pretty underlevled for the first half of the game, and a 5-6 string hit of Qs was doing half to 3/4 of damage to bosses.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
A bit of a bumb, but if anyone cares they've revealed a bunch of FFXIV classes:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/24/final-fantasy-xivs-xviii-different-classes-revealed/

I wonder why Square choose to make new classes rather than use preexisting ones?
Dunno, but I bet Ninja, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Dark Knight type jobs will cease to exist. They seem to want to make a barrier around:

MELEE =/= MAGIC.

It'll still beat the mmo I just tried, but I'm kinda dissapointed in SE. Not making a lower resolution/requirement version available (which I looked up, they could've done) is mistake #1, and then making weird job names and seperating that so distinctly is #2. Those are really bad mistakes.'

Ninjas are cool, and Utsusemi: Ni was the best.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not making a lower resolution/requirement version available (which I looked up, they could've done) is mistake #1,
You mean for computers? That's why I'm just going to wait until the PS3 version comes out.

and then making weird job names and seperating that so distinctly is #2. Those are really bad mistakes.'
Well the first bit is just nitpicking. And for the second half, they haven't even revealed all of the jobs and features of the game. Plus (from what I've read) the game will have a customization system similar to that of Final Fantasy V. So there's no need to worry about them completely separating melee classes from magic classes.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You mean for computers? That's why I'm just going to wait until the PS3 version comes out.

Well the first bit is just nitpicking. And for the second half, they haven't even revealed all of the jobs and features of the game. Plus (from what I've read) the game will have a customization system similar to that of Final Fantasy V. So there's no need to worry about them completely separating melee classes from magic classes.
Yes for computers, and I should be nitpicky for one of my favorite series of games ever :/. I love RDM and NIN man D:.

Alas, I'm just worried they want to separate melee/magic, it's how it looks =/

finalark

SNORLAX
Alas, I'm just worried they want to separate melee/magic, it's how it looks =/
We'll see about that. If what I've read is true you can be an epic sword-fighting, heavy-armor wearing hero of the land and still be able to shoot thundagas out of your face.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
We'll see about that. If what I've read is true you can be an epic sword-fighting, heavy-armor wearing hero of the land and still be able to shoot thundagas out of your face.
Judging by how Square Enix acted in FFXI, they won't let someone become an all powerful deity. They'll make it where you can only do so much of something. I'd like to see them utilize the ability to be a Melee, a mage, or half/half. But I know they won't make it where you can do everything 100% success. They were never a fan of that (look at Blue Mage, it almost pulled it off)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I opted into the beta in March and I still haven't gotten in :(

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm not in the beta.. I've signed up but haven't heard from them. I was asking because I wanted to know how good the game is. I want to hear opinions and stuff before I go ordering it like I did with Aion (which could have been a much better game but ended up being a huge waste of money).

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I wanted to embed this, but it's disabled for this video.

Anyway, if you never beat Final Fantasy VI, behold the awesomeness of it's ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG5ELlPZFGI

The main reason I love Kefka is because he's not some weepy villain or a "complex" one; he starts off being mad, and by the end of the game he's a nihilist. He's just plain bada**.

finalark

SNORLAX
The main reason I love Kefka is because he's not some weepy villain or a "complex" one; he starts off being mad, and by the end of the game he's a nihilist. He's just plain bada**.
Seriously, the man is the freaking Joker of the Final Fantasy franchise. Reason? Who needs it? Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Seriously, the man is the freaking Joker of the Final Fantasy franchise. Reason? Who needs it? Some men just want to watch the world burn.
I just started VI a few days ago and I have to say, Kefka is the most heartless, callous and violent villain I've encountered so far in the FF series. And I'm not even halfway through the game.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think Kefka is one of the few fictional characters I hate, yes there are villains, but then there is Kefka

Top Bottom