• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
You're not supposed to be able to do that. The game is supposed to consistently nag you until you change it to something aside from Garnet.

After checking the entire thread, I realized not a single soul mentioned Dissidia. =P
LOl, i putted Garnet too, but with capital letters xDDDDDDD

Change topic, What final fantasy got the Better OST? For me are V and IX, "Sweet Home" from V make me cry ;;___;;

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
FF1 clearly had the best soundtrack. Being, serious, and starting from the top, this is my list:
1) FFVI
- The Battle music is addicting, the overall theme, and all the songs captivate me. It makes me want to learn the piano
2) FFVII
- I played Trumpet and the battle theme has a calling for me. 'Nuff said.
3) FFIX
- Simply Beautiful
4) FFX/X-2
- I was a sucker for the voice songs, and the themes, and everything BUT THE BATTLE THEME. Hated that
5) FF: Crystal Chronicles
- Sigh of the wind is an amazing song, aka the intro. That's a beauty

Those are my top 5.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
FFVII is maybe my favorite videogame OST ever. All the games have good songs though. Here are my favorites

FF1's opening is so sad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDtgz0o1c&feature=related

and Matoya's Cave (FF1) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp3g5AxzS0feature=related

Man With Machine Gun (FF8): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vpqd9gKXk

Liberti Fatali (FF8): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSrBMsIw3s&feature=related

Anxious Heart (FF7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvHTlWyxH0&feature=related

Rufus Welcoming Ceremony (FF7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fleXlIRbs&feature=related

I could list more but I don't know the names of any of the other songs from the other games, hahaha. I also haven't played an FF since 9 so I'm probably missing out on some good music.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
FFVII is maybe my favorite videogame OST ever. All the games have good songs though. Here are my favorites

FF1's opening is so sad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDtgz0o1c&feature=related

and Matoya's Cave (FF1) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp3g5AxzS0feature=related

Man With Machine Gun (FF8): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vpqd9gKXk

Liberti Fatali (FF8): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSrBMsIw3s&feature=related

Anxious Heart (FF7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvHTlWyxH0&feature=related

Rufus Welcoming Ceremony (FF7) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fleXlIRbs&feature=related

I could list more but I don't know the names of any of the other songs from the other games, hahaha. I also haven't played an FF since 9 so I'm probably missing out on some good music.
Rufus/Shinra theme has to be one of my favorite themes. If I could have a theme irl it'd be that.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
FF7 battle theme.

FF9 boss theme.

FF9 I. Castle theme.

FF13 battle theme.

FF9 Garland's theme or w/e the name is. (it plays in his dungeon in Terra)

Im a sucker for battle themes XD.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Lol "Dagger." I named my "Dagger" as "Garnet" and nobody caught me and pulled me over to inspect the person who looks like the princess and has the same name! HEHEHE.
I did the same thing. I also named Rinoa's dog in FFVIII "******l".

You're not supposed to be able to do that. The game is supposed to consistently nag you until you change it to something aside from Garnet.
That didn't happen to me.

After checking the entire thread, I realized not a single soul mentioned Dissidia. =P
Dissidia is more like a Kingdom Hearts game with no Disney characters than an FF game. And I'm pretty sure someone did mention it earlier.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Gates said:
That didn't happen to me.
It happened to me. Twice.

felipe_9595 said:
What final fantasy got the Better OST?
My personal favorites are VI and VII once again. Terra's theme is so..."whistle-able". In a way, VI had a rather haunting soundtrack. VII on the other hand was just as memorable. For such a simple sounding song, J-E-N-O-V-A is so addicting.

One of the first songs I ever learned to play on my electric guitar was Matoya's Cave. With heavy distortion and some nice bends, it sounds riveting.

I'm all for these Carmina Burana-esque songs but I never quite cared for Liberi Fatali. It would have been fine if there weren't a thousand renditions of it in the VIII soundtrack. It became overkill.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Oh man I should make a video of me playing the JENOVA battle theme on my guitar.

The music in FF games is such high standard.

I can't list my favs because there are WAY too many.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This being said, can anyone think of a bad soundtrack. I personally cannot think of one.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
XII might've been my least favorite soundtrack out of the numbered FF games. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable. None of the songs really stood out.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I did not know 12 and 13 were done by another composer.

What is this heresy!

I also realised I probably spent more time playing blitzball in 10 than the actual game......god I love blitzball, but not as much as I loved triple triad.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I did not know 12 and 13 were done by another composer.

What is this heresy!

I also realised I probably spent more time playing blitzball in 10 than the actual game......god I love blitzball, but not as much as I loved triple triad.
Ematsu leaves FInal fantasy after X, that was the music in Ps2 sucks :S

Pd: I loved Tetra Master, that game was SO adicting

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ematsu leaves FInal fantasy after X, that was the music in Ps2 sucks :S

Pd: I loved Tetra Master, that game was SO adicting
I liked FFXI's music a lot. I know it's a mmo, but still. It was all so addicting. FFXIV will probably have a good OST too,but I won't play it.

They make it for PS3, they make it for hybrid computers, but not for the meh computers. They needed to make a lower quality XIV for people like me >_>.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Gates said:
Really? What platform were you playing it on? I've been playing it on PS3, so there is a chance they forgot about that while porting it.
The very original, of course. Am I really the only one who has noticed this? I'm sure I've seen it in a game guide before as well.

Nick Schovitz said:
Triple Triad > Tetra Master
I hated all those mini-games. They were all pointless busy work. But if I had to single out my favorites among all of them, I'd choose Triple Triad -- the only one wherein the game does not mandate you have to play even a single game of it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The very original, of course. Am I really the only one who has noticed this? I'm sure I've seen it in a game guide before as well.
I'm pretty sure it's happened to me as well and it wouldn't let me use the name Garnet. It has been awhile since I last played it though. I'm not sure if you can bypass it by putting it in all caps. You probably can.

Matt07

Smash Master
Out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played (1-4, 7, 8, 13.) I really enjoyed FF2 the most (the one with Firion as the main character.)

I find it had a really unique leveling system which I enjoyed, and the music was very well done, in my opinion. But all Final Fantasy music is amazing :).

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I think I'm the only person in the world who likes FF12 the most...

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm the only person in the world who likes FF12 the most...
Outside the Final Fantasy fanaticism, it's understandable to like FFXII. Likewise, it's also understandable for a FF freak to hate the unconventional XII.

For me, it's a matter of entertainment. I was not entertained. Therefore, I hated it.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I'm a huge fan as well, but I've always leaned more towards Matsuno/Tactics in terms of the style that I prefer, so it's only natural. I just thought XII made enormous strides forward in terms of gameplay, and then XIII just...ignored it all. I also thought the political storyline and excellent dialogue made the game more interesting than the other "melodramatic" titles, or at least until Raithwall, where it then becomes noticeably mediocre (probably because Matsuno left production).

The game also had the most fleshed out world of any FF game, by far. By far. Each locale has so much history and makes so much sense and you get little tidbits of interesting information by reading or talking to NPCs (something FFXIII did very poorly)

But I will confidently say that the first 15 hours of XII is the best experience any FF game has offered...ever

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm a huge fan as well, but I've always leaned more towards Matsuno/Tactics in terms of the style that I prefer, so it's only natural. I just thought XII made enormous strides forward in terms of gameplay, and then XIII just...ignored it all. I also thought the political storyline and excellent dialogue made the game more interesting than the other "melodramatic" titles, or at least until Raithwall, where it then becomes noticeably mediocre (probably because Matsuno left production).

The game also had the most fleshed out world of any FF game, by far. By far. Each locale has so much history and makes so much sense and you get little tidbits of interesting information by reading or talking to NPCs (something FFXIII did very poorly)

But I will confidently say that the first 15 hours of XII is the best experience any FF game has offered...ever
The content was amazing as well. I logged 280 hours to get a full 100% game. (Full Grand armor x2, full mage armor for 1 character, and everyone lv99 etc) It's sad my file corrupted, but I had everything. I loved the political storyline as well, it really had me interested. I never got to see Vayne die =/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Thank god this is just an opinion. Thinking of playing that game still fills me with dread.
Why? It's better than XIII. All XIII was good battle system filled with way to much AI (yet again, they need to stop that). Everything else sucked. A good story, but so linear and movish whats the point in it being a game, lol.

I will admit, the older ones are better.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Why? It's better than XIII. All XIII was good battle system filled with way to much AI (yet again, they need to stop that). Everything else sucked. A good story, but so linear and movish whats the point in it being a game, lol.

I will admit, the older ones are better.
You're a very open 13 hater, arent you? lol I hated 12 but I dont bash it every post. :/

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Shimazu said:
You misunderstood me. I was thoroughly disappointed with XIII. It's amazing how the common complaints of the game are absolutely undeniable: it's too linear, the characters are boring, the story is stupid, etc.

On the other hand, I went into XII with little expectation. I just tried to manage it and I despised every second of the game. The gameplay is by far the worst aspect. If XIII had anything that it excelled it, it was the gameplay. Sure, everything else botched the game but all in all, the combat was enough to get me hooked. XII's gameplay was "unique". But it was also atrociously boring.

So, I go back to what I said: "Thank god it's just an opinion".

XDeath said:
Final Fantasy VI is rather unqiue in Final Fantasy, as its romance is subtle.
VI? Not to my knowledge. What romance?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
12's opening wasnt as bad as the rest of the game...if only it didnt have Vaan. Such a whiney char. It totally ruined the opening for me at times. I got rid of him as soon as I could. The lack of characterization, political story...in FF and the weird voice acting made it so bad for me :S. The unexciting last boss was also pretty...unexciting.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
12's opening wasnt as bad as the rest of the game...if only it didnt have Vaan. Such a whiney char. It totally ruined the opening for me at times. I got rid of him as soon as I could. The lack of characterization, political story...in FF and the weird voice acting made it so bad for me :S. The unexciting last boss was also pretty...unexciting.
Wait a minute... weird voice acting? XII's voice acting was pretty good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's like they had stuffy noses while talking. Especially the judges. And dont get me started on Vaan. The only VA I liked was Fran and I kinda liked Ashe's too.
Yeah, you're actually right about that. The acting was good, but the sound quality on the recording was off. Everything was a little stuffy for some odd reason.

The highlights for me in XII were the License Board, the acting, and the maps/exploration. It was a good game on its own, IMO, but it didn't excel compared to other FF games.

XIII only had the battle system going for it. For me, XII and XIII kind of feel close to the same level. I enjoyed them, but not nearly as much as I was hoping to.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You're a very open 13 hater, arent you? lol I hated 12 but I dont bash it every post. :/
Yes I am. From XII's release I tracked that game in anticipation of the best thing ever. In fact, I love the story. It has a very compelling story, and it's probably one of the two things I love. I've never been so let down before, so I guess it makes me cold.

You misunderstood me. I was thoroughly disappointed with XIII. It's amazing how the common complaints of the game are absolutely undeniable: it's too linear, the characters are boring, the story is stupid, etc.

On the other hand, I went into XII with little expectation. I just tried to manage it and I despised every second of the game. The gameplay is by far the worst aspect. If XIII had anything that it excelled it, it was the gameplay. Sure, everything else botched the game but all in all, the combat was enough to get me hooked. XII's gameplay was "unique". But it was also atrociously boring.

So, I go back to what I said: "Thank god it's just an opinion".

VI? Not to my knowledge. What romance?
Sorry, I get what you're saying. Thinking about it, I had similar feelings back in the day.

I didn't get to kill the boss, but I share the hatred of Vaan. He didn't even need to be in the game.

Voice acting yes, but the quality and etc was a bit low.

It's like they had stuffy noses while talking. Especially the judges. And dont get me started on Vaan. The only VA I liked was Fran and I kinda liked Ashe's too.
Pretty much what I meant. Also, I liked Baltheir's (sp) as well. He had quite a sarcastic tone about him I just adored.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Minato said:
It wasn't all across the board. Fran, for instance, was hideously mismatched for that voice.

I also didn't like Balthier but that's just me. I didn't mind the voice acting but the character himself was always a problem for me. I tried my best to like the character but he just resonates with the vibe of "douchery".

Top Bottom