• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't care about her gear, I intentionally gave her lower grade armor and nobody else can use staves.
In that case you should be fine.

I'm thinking about starting up an RPG in the forum games based off of Classic FF (as in FF1-5) but before I get serious about it I want to see how many people are interested in the idea. Any takers?

EDIT: IGN's take on the FFXIV thing:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1134365p1.html

Plus a list of all of the changes that the new patch will bring:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=cb4dc09784bc24b4fde2e45de9f018ec5fb504d2

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So when Aeris dies, do you get to keep whatever was equipped on her? She's in my party through the whole Temple of the Ancients and I don't want to unequip her before a boss battle or something but I also don't want to lose my materia.

I'm thinking about starting up an RPG in the forum games based off of Classic FF (as in FF1-5) but before I get serious about it I want to see how many people are interested in the idea. Any takers?
It really depends on which one your going to do. I think the easiest would be doing either FF I or III because they have no real characters (except the remake of III for the DS which is still pretty leniant on the story) and can be easily done without people worrying about staying in character. But I would rather do IV or V (but mostly IV) because those are some of my favorites. I would stay away from II imo.

finalark

SNORLAX
It really depends on which one your going to do. I think the easiest would be doing either FF I or III because they have no real characters (except the remake of III for the DS which is still pretty leniant on the story) and can be easily done without people worrying about staying in character. But I would rather do IV or V (but mostly IV) because those are some of my favorites. I would stay away from II imo.
I'm not planning on basing it off of any game in particular, just combining elements from those five titles (mostly I, III and V). I'm going for running a forum RPG with many classic FF elements that retains the classic FF feel.

But yeah, FFII freaking sucked.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Square Enix needs to listen to their fans. If they did, XIV wouldn't suck, and XIII would've been a lot better. They are hitting a Sonic like low with their franchises, but meh.

One day they'll wake up and realize FFX (last really good one, though XII was okay) was like... a while ago, and they need to get back on track.

Sum it up, me thinks their ego is in their way.

finalark

SNORLAX
One day they'll wake up and realize FFX (last really good one, though XII was okay) was like... a while ago, and they need to get back on track.
Am I the only one who actually really liked FFXII?

Sum it up, me thinks their ego is in their way.
It's been this way ever since they managed to make JRPGs mainstream back in '97. Only now it's actually starting to hurt them.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681

It's been this way ever since they managed to make JRPGs mainstream back in '97. Only now it's actually starting to hurt them.
Finalark, I put 282 hours into FFXII. I got everything on it, everything. I liked it, but the lack of character development (you can say Cloud sucks, but I'll take him over Vaan anyday), and the stolen controls of FFXI (It was an offline version..) made it a lack of originality to me.

Then again, I put over 850 days into FFXI, so it didn't feel new to me. That said, the whole game was uber easy to me too XD. Danjuro farming was easy as **** compared to the two years I waited for my Duelist (RDM) Hat.

finalark

SNORLAX
Finalark, I put 282 hours into FFXII. I got everything on it, everything. I liked it, but the lack of character development (you can say Cloud sucks, but I'll take him over Vaan anyday), and the stolen controls of FFXI (It was an offline version..) made it a lack of originality to me.
Yeah I'll gladly tell you that XII suffered in the story category for it's complete lack of any sort of character development. Half the main cast had zero personality while everyone else was interested but not much was done with their characters. I loved the game play and dungeons, though. Although the license board can go die in a fire.

As for the stolen game play, I will admit that it took many hints from XI but felt much better in comparison. Then again, the only version of XI I've ever played was the PC version which had an interface obviously not made with computers in mind.

Then again, I put over 850 days into FFXI, so it didn't feel new to me. That said, the whole game was uber easy to me too XD. Danjuro farming was easy as **** compared to the two years I waited for my Duelist (RDM) Hat.
Or that.

I think the reason why I want FFXIV to succeed is because I want to play an FF MMO that doesn't feel incredibly outdated in comparison to WoW and other recent MMOs. I'm sure that FFXI was amazing for it's time but it just feels ancient in comparison to World of Warcraft.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I loved the Gambit system and the graphics were really good for the end of the PS2 era.

Everything else about the game I thought was meh or blech. The License Board was like the Sphere Grid only less linear, so I guess that's an improvement. The characters and story didn't click with me at all and the English voice acting was generally painful. It also felt like whenever I wasn't grinding for levels I was grinding for money. Chasing down the marks was ok until you got the the point where you had to do stuff like bull**** random spawns or the mark only appears when it's raining or something. I also hated how you had to do all the marks before you fought Gilgamesh, when really that's all I ever wanted to do in that game in the first place since he's my favorite memory from FFV.

Overall I didn't like it, but it's certainly not a bad game, nor is it the worst FF game.

finalark

SNORLAX
The story in FF XII worked for me. Yeah, I know it has terrible character development and is for the most part an incredibly mediocre tale (then again, what JRPG story isn't?) but I enjoyed the western-style dialog and feel the game had. It reminded me of a time when companies weren't afraid to westernize a JRPG because then the number of weaboos ready to get angry whenever a baka gaijin messed up their Japan-kun was close to zero.

But yeah, I can understand disliking FFXII. But I certainty enjoyed it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It was a good game, it just borrowed to much from XI.

On another note, XIV will fail because they want to target an older audience (okay), but then make the game where you have to have no life to be good at it.

Fun Fact: Most people work, do school, or both. I could never play xiv and be good at it.

32~40hours of work + 49~56 hours of sleep + 20 hours of school (homework counted) is..a lot of one weeks hours =/

finalark

SNORLAX
On another note, XIV will fail because they want to target an older audience (okay), but then make the game where you have to have no life to be good at it.
I remember them saying that they're going to try and target a more casual audience with FFXIV. From everything I've hard they failed miserably at that.

Fun Fact: Most people work, do school, or both. I could never play xiv and be good at it.

32~40hours of work + 49~56 hours of sleep + 20 hours of school (homework counted) is..a lot of one weeks hours =/
This is what made WoW so successful. Despite what South Park says, you don't have to be a 40-year-old looser in his mom's basement with no life to enjoy the game. WoW can be played casually and infrequently to accommodate those who have work, school and a social life. Leveling is incredibly fast compared to other MMORPGs, there are a ton of easily accessible things to do in the game and you always feel like you're making progress and being rewarded regardless of what you're level is. This is something that Square needs to take note of.

I think that if Square wants FFXIV's servers to be up for more than only two years or so they just need to shut everything down, go play WoW for a bit, learn from it, then patch the balls out of the game. I think Square's just been making games for the typical Japanese nerd for so long that they've forgotten how to make their franchises appeal to anyone outside of that demographic (sans KH).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Spoken with truth. I also liked XI's job system, just saying. I miss that :(

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just hoping at this point we'll get a game that revamps Final Fantasy as a whole and finally brings everything we loved about the franchise into modern gaming. JRPGs as an entire genre are hitting a massive rough spot right now and have become niche again like they were back in the 8 and 16-bit days. I think it's time we had another Final Fantasy VII*.

*As in a game that makes JRPGs mainstream like FFVII did, not another game in the compilation.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You're speaking like the Martin Luther of JRPGs :p

I really want this to happen too, because, despite the generic storylines, jrpg are an epic genre, and we need more hits. SE needs to make XV count.

finalark

SNORLAX
You're speaking like the Martin Luther of JRPGs :p
I HAVE A DREAM
CAST

I really want this to happen too, because, despite the generic storylines, jrpg are an epic genre, and we need more hits. SE needs to make XV count.
I agree. I could care less for the stories of most JRPGs, I play them because I genuinely like thinking out ways to build up your characters to their maximum potential and then putting them into slow, tense turn-based battles.

But that's just me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yep... it sounds boring to most, but some nerds just plain enjoy it. I liked having 7 KOTR materia in ff7. It made me feel special ^^

Edit: J/k I only had 4 :p

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Why would you need more than one? All you needed to do is Master it at least 3 times so you could have 2 of them master summon materia and the last you could use for sneak attack or something.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well I maxed out cloud/yuffie/vincent all the way, as in all stats 255. While doing so, it just sorta happened. I have 2 maxed 5/5, ad 1 summon all materia. then I have a 1/5 maxed kotr. :D

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You know, I'm starting to think the whole "announce a game 5 years before it's finished" thing is a really stupid idea, as it only raises hype for the game to a point where people's expectations of it will be such that they'll be disappointed no matter how good the final product is.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, I'm starting to think the whole "announce a game 5 years before it's finished" thing is a really stupid idea, as it only raises hype for the game to a point where people's expectations of it will be such that they'll be disappointed no matter how good the final product is.
Bingo.

If it was up to me I'd keep my game under wraps until it was in beta.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Look at Sonic Colors. Sadly, the 5year idea fails in ways it's going to hurt good games. Skyward Sword is going to "bad" because it doesn't live to hype, but the game is probs gun be epicz.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I think the only game that comes to mind when I think of "lived up to the hype" after 5 or so years was RE4. That game went through so many changes but the final product was **** amazing and worth the wait.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Duke Nukem Forever is one of those games that came full circle and now people have no expectations of it, so people probably will like it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Duke Nukem Forever is one of those games that came full circle and now people have no expectations of it, so people probably will like it.
Probably. I'm not really expecting much out of it. Just another FPS with some elements of older FPS'.

finalark

SNORLAX
Back on topic:

So am I the only one who had a really negative interpretation of Tidus? I replayed FFX a while back and I couldn't help but notice a few things about him. He disrespected the traditions and culture of those around him, constantly did whatever he felt like without thinking about others and generally just acted like an arrogant kid with a big ego. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Wrath`

Smash Master
Back on topic:

So am I the only one who had a really negative interpretation of Tidus? I replayed FFX a while back and I couldn't help but notice a few things about him. He disrespected the traditions and culture of those around him, constantly did whatever he felt like without thinking about others and generally just acted like an arrogant kid with a big ego. Am I the only one who noticed this?
Well, if you went 1,000 years into the future, would you be able to keep up with every custom in a few days? Tidus was OK, he did get on my nerves with his "I don't know anything" and "I hate my father"

Wakka however, is a character you can like.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm sorry, but Wakka seems like the kinda guy who if lived in the present, would be a manager at Mcdonalds with 4 kids.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, if you went 1,000 years into the future, would you be able to keep up with every custom in a few days? Tidus was OK, he did get on my nerves with his "I don't know anything" and "I hate my father"
Here's the thing, he was perfectly able to learn the culture and customs of Spira. But he just chooses to ignore it and does whatever he wants, disrespecting everyone around him.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
^Yes, but by doing so, he reveals the lies of the same very customs as well.

This can also be explained that he is afraid/disaproves of the customs. And by acting the he does, he is showing in his way that he dislikes their ways.

There is also the possibility, that because he does not really exist, he is actually being cotrolled by the spirits that made him.

finalark

SNORLAX
^Yes, but by doing so, he reveals the lies of the same very customs as well.
True, but he still acted disrespectful even without knowing their lies.

This can also be explained that he is afraid/disaproves of the customs. And by acting the he does, he is showing in his way that he dislikes their ways.
There has to be a more mature way for a guy who supposed to be in his late teens/early twenties to show that he doesn't approve of something.

There is also the possibility, that because he does not really exist, he is actually being cotrolled by the spirits that made him.
This could be another possibility.

There's also the possibility that the reason why nobody seems to care if he does anything immature or disrespectful is because he's the one telling the story. Meaning that he can go ahead and leave certain things out or change certain details.

Actually, next time any of you guys play through FFX keep that in mind. It makes the story a lot more interesting if you think of Tidus as an unreliable narrator.

Wrath`

Smash Master
So I did not get the part were Tidus is not real.

Didn't he actually live 1,000 years ago in Zanarkand? If so, does that mean sin took him 1,000 years in the future? I don't get how he is a memory of 1,000 years ago, if he was real at one point in time 1,000 years ago.

Unless sin killed him and he is just an Unsent? (haven't finished the game yet, IO am in the caves of Ronso Mountains)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
He was never real, there was no time travel at all. He was a dream of the Fayth that was taken into the real world by Sin.

It'll make more sense when you beat the game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So I did not get the part were Tidus is not real.

Didn't he actually live 1,000 years ago in Zanarkand? If so, does that mean sin took him 1,000 years in the future? I don't get how he is a memory of 1,000 years ago, if he was real at one point in time 1,000 years ago.

Unless sin killed him and he is just an Unsent? (haven't finished the game yet, IO am in the caves of Ronso Mountains)
Why do you want to know all of the plot details before you even play the whole game?

Wrath`

Smash Master
I do want to play the game, I was just confused as to tidus being a complete fabrication. But gates said all will be answered after I finish it.

Top Bottom