• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
yeah i know im just saying if halo did that then it would piss alot of people off because halo isent the same

my point was was that bassically thats what final fantasy IS doing

finalark

SNORLAX
yeah i know im just saying if halo did that then it would piss alot of people off because halo isent the same
If they're aren't similar then don't compare them.

my point was was that bassically thats what final fantasy IS doing
Becoming kiddie and making a Lego spin off?

EDIT: And I'm still waiting for that link that proves that FFXV is going to be a Japanese Heavy Rain.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
they are alike in terms of they are both *supposivlly* over-rated games when infact halo 1 and final fantasy 7 were just that great because of their graphics for the time and atleast fun game play

final fantasys kiddie version is the crystal cronicles and all those chocobo spin offs when the real *mature looking* spin-offs would be things like kingdom hearts *just cuz it has disney and makes lame jokes dosent mean roxas rikku and demyx arent mature and crazy cool*

if halo were to become a none fps *besides halo wars cuz thats accually decent* like a aventure/racing game people would be like ??? what? wheres my childhood??? it would not work out

and i feel like if final fantasy were to bassically make a heavy rain fantasy game *which they bassically are* then itll be HORRIBLE in my eyes

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
FF has been changing things around from the beginning. The extreme linearity of XIII could easily not exist in Versus XIII.
I remember XII feeling quite open with all of its sidequests, so stop complaining complaining so much.

So, Vaan is all but confirmed for Dissidia 2 according to his English VA.
Doesn't bother me too much. :/

finalark

SNORLAX
they are alike in terms of they are both *supposivlly* over-rated games when infact halo 1 and final fantasy 7 were just that great because of their graphics for the time and atleast fun game play
HOLD ON THERE. Okay, the graphics are not what made Halo 1 so great for it's time. It was a game that completely swapped up FPS game play and made it into a rock-solid experience that was nothing like any FPS on a console up to that point.

But I'll push nostalgia and history aside and let you know that the game had a number of flaws and the once "OMG EPIC" game play is ruined for new players because nearly every modern FPS is modeled after Halo 1's game play.

final fantasys kiddie version is the crystal cronicles and all those chocobo spin offs when the real *mature looking* spin-offs would be things like kingdom hearts *just cuz it has disney and makes lame jokes dosent mean roxas rikku and demyx arent mature and crazy cool*

I am about to smash my head into my keyboard based off of the raw stupidity of what I just read in 3... 2... 1....

dfgkljkljl;jgjfrklsdfjkl;asdfasdf

if halo were to become a none fps *besides halo wars cuz thats accually decent* like a aventure/racing game people would be like ??? what? wheres my childhood??? it would not work out
Which is why so many of the forge mods on the internet turn the game into something completely different from what it normally is.

Besides, you're talking about a game completely shifting genres. Final Fantasy is still a JRPG, always has been and always will be.

And I lol'd pretty hard at Halo Wars being a decent RTS.

and i feel like if final fantasy were to bassically make a heavy rain fantasy game *which they bassically are* then itll be HORRIBLE in my eyes
So based off of ONE game suddenly the entire franchise is dead?

You're worse than those idiots who decided that Zelda was done for based off of a demo zone that probably won't even be in the final game.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Balthier is so much more of a character(Depth-wise) than Vaan. I do like Vaan as a character, but he was just a boy on a quest to topple the empire/be a sky pirate. He will probably have his mythrill sword like he did when you fought Dire Rats for the first time.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really wish that XII's characters were better written. The only one who I found to be memorable was Batch (and I'm sure I'm spelling his name wrong). It's a really shame because the western style dialog was such a nice break from all of the typical mellow dramatic animu bull**** of most JRPGs.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
finalark ... you dident play the game back when it was the best plus you cant appreiciate the story because you are the type of guy who thinks something is stupid that others appreiciate... anyway what exactly is sin supposed to be i never got it?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Basch is my favorite Final Fantasy XII character. He's made of such win.

We semi-sorta got him in his twin brother Gabranth though for Dissidia. That's cool. lol

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
finalark ... you dident play the game back when it was the best plus you cant appreiciate the story because you are the type of guy who thinks something is stupid that others appreiciate... anyway what exactly is sin supposed to be i never got it?
He's entitled to his own opinion(s). And before you criticize other games, have good reasons. Not "these games are for noobs who dont know how to think when they play".

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Basch was cool, I guess. Problem was, he had an interesting role and the beginning, and contributed nothing in the entire middle part, and then finally played a role again at the end. For me, Balthier's my favorite in XII while Panelo was my least favorite character.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
So when you were a naive, small child you knew exactly which games were the best?

And also, "type of guy who thinks something is stupid that others appreiciate". I'm pretty sure that you're doing the same thing by saying XIII sucked and was only for noobs. Plenty of people enjoyed FFXIII. There's a reason why it holds an 83 on Metacritic. Your statements now hold no weight because you're just a hypocrite.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, I will say this. Every series of games has their bad times. Final Fantasy is obviously going through a rough patch. XIII was very linear, and felt unfinished. XIV is way too close to XI in design, and the previous titles have been devoid of merits that other titles held. Still, the series has some positive future ahead. XIII versus looks like the FF we used to love, so that's a plus. Also, the fighting game(Dissidia) franchise is pretty successful as well. So going off on a "JRPGs are dead" is dumb, because, SE and Namco are doing fine, and saying FF is dead is rather extreme as well. Every series has bad spots. I mean hey, it looks like Sonic (might) make a recover. If he can, anyone can.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really don't think it's possible for any franchise or genre to be permanently dead. Everything works in cycles, and everything comes back in one way or another. I might not have the same name and it might be somewhat different but nothing is permanently dead.

For instance Parasite Eve is coming back alright, only it's called the 3rd Birthday now. And the Dreamcast is back to, only now you download the games and play them on other consoles.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Alright, I will say this. Every series of games has their bad times. Final Fantasy is obviously going through a rough patch. XIII was very linear, and felt unfinished. XIV is way too close to XI in design, and the previous titles have been devoid of merits that other titles held. Still, the series has some positive future ahead. XIII versus looks like the FF we used to love, so that's a plus. Also, the fighting game(Dissidia) franchise is pretty successful as well. So going off on a "JRPGs are dead" is dumb, because, SE and Namco are doing fine, and saying FF is dead is rather extreme as well. Every series has bad spots. I mean hey, it looks like Sonic (might) make a recover. If he can, anyone can.
Versus XIII looks like the FF we used to love?

Where are you getting that idea?? It's drastically different from everything I've seen and kept track of. It's more like advanced Kingdom Hearts gameplay with a more dark/serious Final Fantasy setting.

That being said, I agree with a lot of what you said. And Versus XIII being different isn't much of a bad thing in my eyes either. :p

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Wait what? O_O I'm a bit outdated on news then, cause last I read it was a more explorish nonlinear XIII. Ugh...oh well that's still cool though, as long as it isn't linear.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
^ Wait what? O_O I'm a bit outdated on news then, cause last I read it was a more explorish nonlinear XIII. Ugh...oh well that's still cool though, as long as it isn't linear.
If you're talking about exploring and the non-linearity part, then I suppose. But even then, that might as well be something shared with many JRPG games and nothing specific to Final Fantasy. I'm looking at the Tales series in general.

The battling is entirely different and the feel/look just doesn't look like Final Fantasy to me. That's my perspective on something changing though. This world is one of the most realistic ones (appearance-wise and not counting the swords and magic lol) and everyone else looks so generic in my mind. The mafia-like friends that Noctis has look like those NPCs you'd pass by in the city of Midgar for VII or something.

Probably why it's not a mainstream Final Fantasy game and is a branch from the original, and none of what I say is, by any means, bashing the game at all. In fact, I'm really excited for it! It's just my observations really. Unless news says otherwise, a lot of our focus is gonna be on Noctis and is gonna be one of those more lonely games. That's the kind of vibe I'm getting out of this.

finalark

SNORLAX
On a new topic, I heard FFXIV failed.
A 54 on Meta Critic, ouch.

Really, I was hoping that they would do better. They said that they were taking inspiration from World of Warcraft which is one of the fumiest and user friendliest MMOs I've ever played, despite all of the hype. Hopefully they'll make the game not suck in the future with some hardcore patching.

But on the other hand, Versus XIII is still looking pretty **** sexy.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
From what I gathered from various reviews, FFXIV has all the problems that FFXI did at launch. Square apparently didn't bother to correct any of those (major) flaws.

I'm really losing faith in Square tbh. It seems like they focus on polish more than anything else these days which is why their games take so long to develop and are so underwhelming in all other areas.

I still liked FFXIII though.

finalark

SNORLAX
From what I gathered from various reviews, FFXIV has all the problems that FFXI did at launch. Square apparently didn't bother to correct any of those (major) flaws.
Well FFXI aged terribly and still has many problems (note that I didn't play the game until 2007). It's got an incredibly bulky and unfriendly interface, PlayOnline feels needlessly complicated, Quests only give you vague hints on what you're supposed to do or where to go, the game feels unfairly difficult, I could go on but I think you get the idea.

So yeah, from what I've heard FFXIV failed to fix any of these problems.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well, a lot of stuff from XI was changed around to make it more accessible like the level sync system. Generally you're right though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XI was only good if you had nothing, and I mean, NOTHING to do with your life.

XIV seems just as bad. This is why I no mmos :x

finalark

SNORLAX
XI was only good if you had nothing, and I mean, NOTHING to do with your life.
Same story that my friend who used to play the game told me. Apparently some of those quests and bosses required a ridiculous amount of devotion to finish.

XIV seems just as bad. This is why I no mmos :x
Pretty much. I've played a ton of MMOs and the only ones I can really say are any good (IMO) would be World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Same story that my friend who used to play the game told me. Apparently some of those quests and bosses required a ridiculous amount of devotion to finish.

Pretty much. I've played a ton of MMOs and the only ones I can really say are any good (IMO) would be World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online.
I played for nearly four years because it was all that connected me and my girlfriend. (We met on XI actually, neat story)

I can honestly say to get the Duelist (Red mage artifact 2 armor) set, it took about... two years? Yeah.

I hate mmos because you can easily loose touch with other games. I'm trying to beat games I got in June because Maplestory messed me up =/

On that note, Drakengard sucks. Good story, but awful, hack-n-slash, and bland. I couldn't get 100%.. just couldn't.

Wrath`

Smash Master
FFXIII is making me very mad. I am at the end of Vile Peaks with Hope and Lighting and I have been doing great, fighting every enemy I see and spending CP wisely. Well I get to the elidoon and it just ***** me, hard. I know how to appease it, but It just does two combos and I am dead. Help?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
First off, use Libra. If you have Hope as a SYN, have him buff the team first and have Lightning start up the chain gauge. Depending on your health either go RAV/RAV or MED/RAV (Lightning as MED). If the going gets tough, MED/MED. Switch paradigms as necessary depending on your health and maybe throw in a COM/RAV combo if the chain gauge is draining too quickly. Hopefully this helps...I don't really remember the Odin fight.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
You have to start with Hope as SYN and Ligthning as MED. When Hope finishes using Protect and Shell...go to MED MED heal urself completely let him end his combo and change to RAV/RAV. Hit him as hard as u can until he resumes attacking. Then, keep switching between MED/RAV MED/MED and RAV RAV as needed. Dont forget to equip Lightning protection rings (they help u against his thundara) and u can also use haste/bravery/faith shrouds if u cant manage with the usual strategy above. You can also use Potions in an emergency if ur ATB gauge isnt close to filling.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Considering XIV, it's a step in the right direction. But after playing Drakengard, I'm so afraid of this becoming a stale hack-n-slash.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just got Crisis Core. And I have to say, I really like it. The game play is fun, there's a fair amount of customization and the story isn't a clucker**** (yet).

Although I don't like how the slots in the corner make leveling and such completely random. But I have to say, Blizzard is pretty beast in that game.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The lvling is random to an extent. You still gain exp, but its invisible. The more exp you have the greater the chance you have to gain a lvl. This means you can't grow to lvl 100 in 100 fights, and it also means you can't beat the game at lvl 7.

You'll be around lvl 60 when you beat the game. That's if your keeping up with at least your normal lvled missions. If you want to complete all the missions, you'll be max lvl by the time you get to the last one.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I just got Crisis Core. And I have to say, I really like it. The game play is fun, there's a fair amount of customization and the story isn't a clucker**** (yet).

Although I don't like how the slots in the corner make leveling and such completely random. But I have to say, Blizzard is pretty beast in that game.
Actually, without spoiling anything for you, Crisis Core does a great job at retconning parts of the original VII's past to coincide with the compilation as a whole. I feel.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You can't really insult Advent Children if you haven't seen the complete version. (Which about 90% haven't seen) It really makes the story flow better and it isn't just one big fan movie like the first one.

I personally like the whole story, but if you want to talk about things that weren't necessary I would be talking about Dirdge of Cerberus. That and the fact they
used Genesis to be the catalyst of Sephiroth's insanity
Those were my least favorite parts. Other than that I'm good. I still haven't played "Before Crisis", but who has?

Top Bottom