• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like Symphonia and all, but I don't see why I would put it over some of the other Tales games.
As for which I like more between X and Symphonia, I'd say I liked FFX more.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
As I have between FFX and Symphonia. I still prefer Symphonia.
Yeah, when I was playing through ToS with some friends and the person at the ned of the first dungeon started talking about the journey or whatever it was called, I'd sing the Hymn of the Fayth every time we completed a dungeon after that and we'd all laugh.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I didn't like Tales of Symphonia either. Too generic of a JRPG. Everyone says FF is the most generic of the generic but that's really not true.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
And here I thought the general consensus was that FFX sucked.
That's probably my favorite Final Fantasy, and one of my favorite games.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Actually the general consensus on FF games throughout the internet is that your favorite one in the series sucks, especially if it's 3D.
Right.
FFX.

^lol this, no matter what you like haterz gonna hate.

I never really hated any of the FF games. (except 8 for game play reasons)
VIII is definitely my favorite with X. In my opinion it had the best character/plot progression. Had more depth and dynamics.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never really hated any of the FF games. (except 8 for game play reasons)
I liked FFVIII, mostly for it's story. The gameplay had it's share problems. I liked the junctioning and all that, but I do think that Junction hindered the use of casting spells. I didn't like the idea of sacrificing stats by casting (generally poor damaging) spells.

The game was ridiculously easy though after Siren if you knew what you were doing.
I don't see why some people complained about drawing a 100 spells when there are other ways to get around it.

I didn't like Tales of Symphonia either. Too generic of a JRPG. Everyone says FF is the most generic of the generic but that's really not true.
That's probably because that's the only JRPG series they've ever touched. I'd say Tales is really generic since it's filled with stereotyped characters and anime cliches. The battle system is what makes me love the series though (and no, I don't mean Symphonia's lol).

finalark

SNORLAX
This. 110% this.

Seriously, the only part of ToS I thought was vaguely interesting was the battle system, and even then Grandia II did something similar four years earlier and better.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's fun and irritating at the same time. You have a ton of moves you can use and about half of them are useless because people found out ways to exploit them. 50% of the game your camping because it's too risky to approach with most of the cast. But the gameplay is addicting and sometimes you just can't put it down.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Anyone know where I can find the newest Tier List for Dissidia Final Fantasy? I'm just curious.
http://dissidiaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6881

Top Tier
Zidane
Kuja
Terra

High Tier
Kefka
Ultimecia
Gabranth

Upper Tier
Sephiroth
ExDeath
Squall
Tidus
Warrior of Light

Middle Tier
Bartz
Jecht
Golbez

Lower Tier
Cloud of Darkness
Firion
Garland
Cloud

Low Tier
Cecil
Emperor

Bottom Tier
Onion Knight
Shantotto

This was based on a general ruleset of No Equipment, Accessories, Summons, or EX Burst and a stage and character counterpicking system similar to Smash.

50% of the game your camping except for Kuja, Terra, Kefka, Ultimecia, and Bartz where it's 90% of your game because it's too risky to approach with most of the cast. But the gameplay is addicting and sometimes you just can't put it down.
Fixed. But generally what you said is true. The game is fun until you try to play it competitively because that's likely not what the designers intended. Hopefully Dissidia 2 will remedy this and have more focus on competitive balance. Timed battles would be nice too since Dissidia matches can last up to 10 minutes (or as short as 10 seconds...it's a very interesting game).

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You mean you won't play with only mages in story mode.

Remember, story mode is but a fraction of Dissidia.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Thanks for the list.

lol I main a low tier yet again. lol (all of my mains in past fighting games before recently were low tier)

Oh well. I love Cloud's high risk/high reward style.

Eagle_Eyes

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3583-1774-9356
It's fun and irritating at the same time. You have a ton of moves you can use and about half of them are useless because people found out ways to exploit them. 50% of the game your camping because it's too risky to approach with most of the cast. But the gameplay is addicting and sometimes you just can't put it down.

Lol I see, sounds like my kind of game to be honest. :p

That tier list is interesting, Kuja as a top tier, who knew??

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
X
VII
VI
XII
IV
III
VIII
XI
IX
I
II
XIII

here's all my thoughts.
7 is not over-rated it is just revolutionary. infact i like how the graphics looked i think that is the golden era of gaming. *n64 ps1 dreamcast*.
it was an epic game. it is also VERY true that 6 desearves more credit it was the first final fantasy like how we see them today :].
10 was great deffinatlly one of the best it introduced voice acting to mainstream videogames in my eyes :]. XII is the only other one that deserves super credit. but they messed up in my eyes because of it not being turn based and what not but if they would have made it like that... it would get WAY more credit.
oh and 13 SUCKED it wasent like the final fantasy i grew up with... it was made for a noob *and not mortal combat noob :/*. it was not fun for me :(

and thats it.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Try to space your posts out, makes them more fluent.

I get the jist of what your saying. The most liked games were the ones which revolutionised the industry.

But the funny thing is that the only people who like VI that much is Americans. *Is American*

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Care to elaborate on why XIII "SUCKED"? I liked the game a lot; it was modern and felt new. The combat system was engaging and quick-paced. Though I was disappointed with the lack of NPC interactions and exploration. I would never be able to make a list of my favorite/least favorite FF games because I take them as their own unique experiences. Remember that Final Fantasy games have nothing in common with each other besides some motifs shared between games.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
Care to elaborate on why XIII "SUCKED"? I liked the game a lot; it was modern and felt new. The combat system was engaging and quick-paced. Though I was disappointed with the lack of NPC interactions and exploration. I would never be able to make a list of my favorite/least favorite FF games because I take them as their own unique experiences. Remember that Final Fantasy games have nothing in common with each other besides some motifs shared between games.
◎there was hardly any exploration whatsoever
◎the battle system is decent exept for how cheap it is bassically you can scan an enemy that way if you ever have to fight it again your guys allready know what to do and where to hit rpg's are supposed to be for real gamers who want to think about what they are doing it is seriouslly the smart people who play them ussually... i dont want to only push "x" 2 times for 75% of my battles
◎sure the graphics kicked *** but you know what? thats all the game was for me a long movie just like heavy rain
◎i diddent even see to many towns or anything... since when does final fantasy *in the main series* not have towns?
◎they are trying to change it to much the only semi-hard parts of the game are the bosses...
its for noobs...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ What he said:

VI/VII/X (tied, imo for 1st)
IX/XII (4th tie)
IV
III
V
XIII
I
VII
II

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You put VII down twice.
I'm pretty sure that lower "VII" was meant to be "VIII".
I already posted my list, but here it is again:

VI=VII>V>IV>X>VIII>IX>III>XII=XIII

Those are only for the FFs that I've beaten.

-VI is amazing. Lot's of characters, decent depth, and lots of freedom in the second half of the game. It was my first FF, so nostalgia is part of the reason why it's ranked so high up. But the game really is great.

-VII is overrated, but it is pretty awesome. I liked it a whole lot.

-V had the job system, and it did it so well. The game didn't feel broken, and there was pretty good customization. I love unlocking the weapons at the end of the game.

-IV is a classic, enough said. I liked the characters a lot, and the story was great for its time. The game aged pretty well, IMO.

-X had the great sphere grid. I liked Tidus's narration and I liked a lot of the characters. It did a good job with the story, and the cutscenes weren't super long which was nice.

-VIII I have mixed feelings, but I did enjoy it. Junction system made the game way too easy though, so it was pretty much impossible to get a game over if you were smart.

-IX I only played once. I liked it a lot, but I didn't go back to it like the other FFs for some odd reason.

-III was fun. Again, the job system made things fun.

-XII was really huge. I loved how much there was to explore. License Board was cool, but Sphere Grid was better. Like I stated earlier, if the director didn't leave early on in XII's development, it would've been a much better game. The game pretty much got screwed over after that.

-XIII was just meh. It was a good game, but it missed a lot of the qualities I like in other RPGs. Towns being gone was a big disappointment. Post game stuff wasn't great. The game was way too linear. If they expanded on just Pulse even more by adding lots more optional dungeons and stuff, I would've liked the game much more. If they did that, I wouldn't have minded that Cocoon was all linear.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is going to be filled with my opinions so keep in mind that it was just that.

here's all my thoughts.
7 is not over-rated it is just revolutionary.
Um, how?

infact i like how the graphics looked i think that is the golden era of gaming. *n64 ps1 Saturn*.
Fixed.

PS1 - 1995
Nintendo 64 - 1996
Dreamcast - 1999

Had the Dreamcast been able to overcome the sheer hype of the PS2 at the time it would have gone up against the Game Cube and Xbox in addition to the PS2.

it was an epic game. it is also VERY true that 6 desearves more credit it was the first final fantasy like how we see them today :].
Someone here is forgetting IV....

10 was great deffinatlly one of the best it introduced voice acting to mainstream videogames in my eyes :].

XII is the only other one that deserves super credit. but they messed up in my eyes because of it not being turn based and what not but if they would have made it like that... it would get WAY more credit.
It wasn't the fact that it wasn't turned based, it was the "OMG THE DIALOG IS WESTERN" and the terrible license board.

oh and 13 SUCKED it wasent like the final fantasy i grew up with... it was made for a noob *and not mortal combat noob :/*. it was not fun for me :(
I haven't played XIII, but just keep in mind that nostalgia is a seductive liar.

EDIT: Also, my list (best being atop and worst being at the bottom):

IX
X
VI
V
XII
IV
VII
I
III
VIII
II
XI

Haven't played XIII.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
ffVII was so big because
◎be cause it set the standard for video games at the time
◎the storyline is amazing it litterally could be made into a movie *like most final fantasys but this one was long and never gets extremlly boring*
◎also it got alot of people to become gamers weather they be jocks goths real gamers or cool kids

IV was a great game and storyline but VI took another step up but IV was extremelly good just diddent get on there

im sure that game is cool but im talking in my eyes i mean is that game really mainstream ive never seen it before?

i havent played
II, V, IX, XI

finalark

SNORLAX
ffVII was so big because
◎be cause it set the standard for video games at the time
How so?

the storyline is amazing it litterally could be made into a movie *like most final fantasys but this one was long and never gets extremlly boring*
lolololololololol

Plot structure? Terrible. Characters? Mostly barely developed and hardly characterized (aside from Tifa and Red XIII). Writing? Well, maybe if they got a better translator....

The story had some good ideas but ultimately fell short of what it could be.

◎also it got alot of people to become gamers weather they be jocks goths real gamers or cool kids
Um... no. It just popularized JRPGs in the west.

IV was a great game and storyline but VI took another step up but IV was extremelly good just diddent get on there
IV's story was interesting, it's been a while so my opinion might have changed. It's been years since I last played. I really don't remember the game play being all that spectacular, though.

im sure that game is cool but im talking in my eyes i mean is that game really mainstream ive never seen it before?
Shenmue was one of those games that was pretty hyped when it first came out but then everyone swiftly forgot about it. But yeah, in Shenmue EVERYONE had something to say. It did was FFX apparently "did first" (a game with full voice acting) two years before FFX came out.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
but sham-moo or whatever dident introduce me to voice acting ffX did and thats why i said "in my eyes"

and the characters in ffVII werent poorley written and when i played it i was at the edge of my seat the whole time...
infact they made several games to add on to the story which means they had a good written story or they wouldent invest money on it
those graphics just make me feel like im playing a video game and not some movie

when i was younger my brother would never let me play his final fantasy 7 game he let me watch and i loved it i memorized the whole storys and characters by the end of the game later i got a n64 as my first console along with pokemon stadium super smash bros orcarina of time and starfox 64 without watching my brother play ff7 i would have never been interested in video games and yes i live in the west but ffvii changed my life

finalark

SNORLAX
but sham-moo or whatever dident introduce me to voice acting ffX did and thats why i said "in my eyes"
Fair enough.

And it's pronounced "Shen-mu."

and the characters in ffVII werent poorley written and when i played it i was at the edge of my seat the whole time...
How much experience have you had in the world of storytelling? I thought FFVII had an epic story when I first played it at the age of 11. Then I started reading and writing and learned more about what makes a good story. These days it comes off as a mediocre piece of nonsense with a few good ideas thrown about within it.

infact they made several games to add on to the story which means they had a good written story or they wouldent invest money on it
Actually it means that FFVII just makes money and the only reason why they keep making spin-offs isn't to add to the story but to make more money.

those graphics just make me feel like im playing a video game and not some movie
I'm pretty sure graphics from the mid 90s will do that.

when i was younger my brother would never let me play his final fantasy 7 game he let me watch and i loved it i memorized the whole storys and characters by the end of the game later i got a n64 as my first console along with pokemon stadium super smash bros orcarina of time and starfox 64 without watching my brother play ff7 i would have never been interested in video games and yes i live in the west but ffvii changed my life
Well that's very nice but in your post you talked about it like it did the same thing for everyone, not just you.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
well alot of people had experienc's like mine look point is most people wouldent reconize it as the greatest game ever if it wasent atleast great and greatness equals supirioriy over most of the other games like pong lol and then its a 2 disk classic to most people now in days plus clouds a ****** so... yeah end of story ff7 is the best

finalark

SNORLAX
well alot of people had experienc's like mine look point is most people wouldent reconize it as the greatest game ever if it wasent atleast great and greatness equals supirioriy over most of the other games like pong lol and then its a 2 disk classic to most people now in days plus clouds a ****** so... yeah end of story ff7 is the best
Or you know, nostalgia could just be bull****ting you.

And it's 3 disks long, not two, and I can think of a number of JRPGs that I enjoyed more than FFVII.

(Note that I'm not saying FFVII is bad, simply overrated and fueled by nostalgia).

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
yeah sorry your right 3 disks :]

but no i mean sorta but i dont know it set a higher expectations for games i mean lets look back at the late 90's ... the best games created then were orcarina of time, final fantasy 7, 007 golden eye, pokemon blue and gold, aaand mario party... and i guess super smash bros... yeah or thats what it was when i was young...
orcarina of time-
still loved and if anything is tied with ff7 in ranks on most rankings... and isent doing to bad
007-
all the other games... sucked and they are about to ruin my childhood with the wii remake...
pokemon versions-
just got worse and worse and made anime looked down upon... sadley
mario party-
it was good for a while but wii ruined it...
super smash bros-
still good and can only get better...
so the only things really surviving from my childhood is zelda super smash bros and final fantasy

final fantasy 7, and orcarina of time will allways be an important peice in gaming they brought us to see how much games can do... because for their time that stuff was crazy

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Uptight cynics...

Any way you look at it, it's another JRPG storyline just like every past Final Fantasy, with different takes. Different strokes for different blokes. A little unfair that such a game gets this kind of heat. To be perfectly honest, the only reason I find that VII gets the heat it gets is because of its popularity. It's no different from our Smash Bros scene. You get a champion and they're awesome as hell. There's a lot of people who praise him, but there are also a lot of people who will root against him too and do what they can to go against their success.

Like it or not, the popularity of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII doesn't lie. By that standard, it's good. The number of wins that M2K gets don't lie. By that standard, he's great. Whether someone denies it or not, I think the popularity of VII has clouded the judgment of people who liked it to begin with. Milking a franchise has it's benefits too, especially from a business and fan-satisfaction standpoint. IV got a sequel. VII got a series of events to cover that world. No game surrounds just one environment. The more you know, the more you get to explore what you loved in the first place. I'd like to think that Square-Enix has enough pride in making their games that they care about their stories and not just pumping something out to satisfy fans. That's being unfair to them by just being unnecessarily cynical about it.

If you liked it when you were younger, why won't you like it now? It's aged with you, has it not? And this is directed at everyone. It should be no different from someone who grew up on Mario or Sonic or The Legend of Zelda or something.

I just think that if someone isn't going to like something, that it just doesn't stem from the media's new generation perspective on being engaged in a story, cynical over "too much" of something. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it I find.

This could just be me ranting, but whatevs.

Top Bottom