• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
To be perfectly honest, the only reason I find that VII gets the heat it gets is because of its popularity.
Pretty much. For me, well, let's get one thing straight: I did not play Final Fantasy VII when it first came out. I played it in 2005 and had played numerous other JRPGs before it. So to me it just came off as another JRPG, nothing special. And I guess it just bugs me that to what is a simply average JRPG gets more praise then some much better ones that deserve some notice.

It's no different from our Smash Bros scene. You get a champion and they're awesome as hell. There's a lot of people who praise him, but there are also a lot of people who will root against him too and do what they can to go against their success.
Interesting allegory.

Like it or not, the popularity of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII doesn't lie. By that standard, it's good.
If you're implying that sales = quality then I'm sorry but that is just not true at all.

I think the popularity of VII has clouded the judgment of people who liked it to begin with.
If you're saying that the franchise's insane success has gotten to the heads of it's fans then I agree with you.

No game surrounds just one environment.
Elaborate.

I'd like to think that Square-Enix has enough pride in making their games that they care about their stories and not just pumping something out to satisfy fans.
From what I've heard, Final Fantasy XIII say's "hi."

If you liked it when you were younger, why won't you like it now?
Because even back then I thought it was average and things don't always age well. Plus as you get older you opinions and interests change.

It's aged with you, has it not? And this is directed at everyone. It should be no different from someone who grew up on Mario or Sonic or The Legend of Zelda or something.
I can tell you right now that there are easily dozens of games I enjoyed as a kid that I went back and played and didn't like.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it I find.
When you're talking about games you played when you were younger, nostalgia has everything to do with it. If something created enough good memories it will affect how you see it, turning what would normally be garbage by today's standards into a "classic" (I'm looking at you, Goldeneye). An example from my own experience: When I got my PlayStation 1 many years ago I got the original Crash Bandicoot along with it. I played the hell out of that game and loved every second of it. Sadly, my copy broke and I could never find another one until a few years ago when I got it for cheap from a used games store. I popped it into my PS2 and after about an hour of denial I realized that the game was crap. Game play? Stiff and boring. Level design? Bland and uninspired. Graphics? Ugly as hell.

I think you have a legit point. But I don't get why FF has to compete with eachother? There all made by the same company, why can't we just enjoy their work?
You have a pretty legitimate point, here.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!!!
◎you can't accept polygonal graphics
◎you diden't play ffVII when you were young meaning you were prolly expecting more from it
◎and your being iggnorent...

ffXIII did suck but it wasent baad it just dident desearve "final fantasy" in its name

and we must "compete" over which ones better because either one did stand out in our childhood OR we acually found it un-questionablly great

finalark

SNORLAX
THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!!!
◎you can't accept polygonal graphics
Of course! This explains why Metal Gear Solid, the original Spyro trilogy and Final Fantasy IX are some of my favorite games! It's because I hate polygonal graphics!

◎you diden't play ffVII when you were young meaning you were prolly expecting more from it
This is partially true. I was expecting a deep and well-written story along with immersive game play. Didn't get either.

◎and your being iggnorent...
Elaborate.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
so basically you're saying "FFVII is the best because I played it when I was a kid and my opinion is only one that matters."

EDIT: @Sephiroths Masamune: discussions always go downhill because a kid with a big head thinks his word is law.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This thread is going down the pits... can we stop this "discussion"?

:urg: Why must everytime something FF related comes up, it becomes an arguement?
This.

We have 14 FF games and then some. Each of them excel at different things while some are weak in some areas. With more than 14 games, there are bound to be some that we might not enjoy as much as others.

And lol Seph. I think we need something FF related to make this topic stay afloat.
But I get what you meant.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Really? Do you really want to do this?

*sigh*

Ok, I'm not sure what type of "VS" you want to do with this, but in terms of popularity we already know who wins. In terms of power/skill I would say Cloud, but thats just me. If your talking about Dissidia, then Squall wins.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just gonna say that it all depends on what build you're using. In that case, probably Squall because if I recall you can do some insane stuff with the very odd (and exploitable) junction system.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
@ Black Waltz

If that was directed at me, then please don't be so quick to make assumptions like that. I said at the beginning of my rant, different strokes for different blokes. People are entitled to their own opinion. It just saddens me that one of my favorite games gets the heat that it does for the proven reasons, that's all.

Basically what I'm saying is, "My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy X, it got me into RPG games, I then played Final Fantasy VII in Junior High and absolutely loved it to bits. The compilation that followed and expanded on that world made it even better. FYI, this is my opinion and I think it rocks." I like to talk a lot, but I'm not someone with a big head who thinks his word is law.

Also, Final Fantasy XIII was a worthy title in the series, also in my personal opinion. I could elaborate on why XIII felt great to me, even a touch big nostalgic in how it played, but I've explained myself time and time again, only to get answers such as "the characters suck" or "the story was bland" without any further reasoning.

Screw it, elaborations. Final Fantasy X anybody? That game was ridiculously linear and yet it's praised greatly by those with the opinion of it being awesome (myself included.) Any Final Fantasy game in general. A lot of JRPGs in general. The story is linear in that there's little exploration and not much else to do outside of talking to NPC characters and sidequests for that special weapon. What's there to do when you explore? Find absolutely nothing but marvel at the view that we get in a more straightforward game anyway? In the end you're always going to get back on track. They rely on us to go through and see more of what happens instead of making this game our own. We just get the side-games/quests and gameplay. They tell us a story and they want us to listen to it. Final Fantasy XIII is no different.

Now why I think the characters are awesome? It's the sharp contrast between them all despite working towards the same goal. I find characters like Sazh and Vanille to be rather engaging, though most if not all of the cast appeals to me in their own special way. Lightning is one of the strongest women-figures in the Final Fantasy series we've seen. That's what we need in main characters I feel. Snow just amuses me for how ridiculously shonen-heroic he is. I can go down the line on my reasons.

I think this kind of discussion is good and is just a debate. Now that being said, everything that I've said just now (REMINDER since some like to think I feel my opinion is absolute), OPINION. lol All I want in return is that if someone's gonna slam something, give elaborations on those reasons. It's just tiring to hear it over and over again without reasonings, instead of just wanting something to fight against because it's there. On touchy subjects like this I feel that it is wrong to have an absolute answer of your own when it truly stems down to opinions in the end.

That's how I feel about everything that goes on with video games. That's how I feel about the kind of heat VII can get. The kind of stuff that VIII gets slammed for. No one has to like everything and I understand that, but I like an answer to a simple question so I can be content with what someone says. "Why?"

--

Now that that's off my chest?

Tough call. Tidus breaks 9,999 damage with his moves and can go multiple times thanks to exploiting quick-hit and whatnot. But Cloud has the hero drink/whatevs method of constantly using Omnislash over and over and over again until a boss is killed. Squall I don't know as much about but I know he has a way of using Renzokuken/Lionheart over and over too.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
XIII wasent really a jrpg in my eyes though it was more of a action adventure to me...

*square enix was talking about final fantasy XV and it sounds like a movie...*

id have to side with...
TIDUS

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Super Mario Galaxy isn't the same and isn't what people are used to. But in the end, hey, you didn't like it. If you want the same old same old, nothing wrong with that. Something familiar can be good in large doses for some.

[EDIT]

Like me. XD; I mean, a lot of the Final Fantasy series was the same and I ate it up like crazy.

vaan8920

Smash Rookie
well i can't say i'm a hardcore ff fan, but i do like the series. ff12 is probably my favorite one and actually got me into final fantasy.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That's pretty cool. It had a lot of nice draws. Me, I just couldn't get into the battle system for that game. I'll probably try again soon though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
the original battle systems were perfect...
And to each their own.

Anyone ever go back an re play a FF game and realize how bad you did the first time you played it? This happened to me in FFXII, I remember the first time i played it I was horrible under leveled and poor. Now as I am at the Ridoras Cataract I have great equipment and have decent money ect..

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
well i dont mind the whole real time im jumping around doing flips and **** of ffXII but i think its more stradegy based in turn based games and real time turn based... without that its not as... final fantasy-y

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
And to each their own.

Anyone ever go back an re play a FF game and realize how bad you did the first time you played it? This happened to me in FFXII, I remember the first time i played it I was horrible under leveled and poor. Now as I am at the Ridoras Cataract I have great equipment and have decent money ect..
That's what happened to me when I played FFIX. I bought it when it first came out, got stuck in Oelivert because I misread the warning beforehand about magic being nullified in Oelivert and brought all my magic users.

Three years later I restarted the game and beat it with ease. Even killed Ozma (though that boss fight was a *****).

finalark

SNORLAX
That's what happened to me when I played FFIX. I bought it when it first came out, got stuck in Oelivert because I misread the warning beforehand about magic being nullified in Oelivert and brought all my magic users.
Same exact thing happened to me too.

And for some reason I was always really bad at FFXII. I guess it's probably just the license board. I disliked it so much that I pretty much ended up neglecting it. Oh well, I have a week off soon so I'll probably try to actually finish the game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Same exact thing happened to me too.

And for some reason I was always really bad at FFXII. I guess it's probably just the license board. I disliked it so much that I pretty much ended up neglecting it. Oh well, I have a week off soon so I'll probably try to actually finish the game.
License Board isn't too hard if you know what you're doing. Just save up your LP for Quickenings, Magic Lores, and stuff like that. Anything around that area since they help keep you alive longer and kill things faster. I rarely went for equipment.

finalark

SNORLAX
License Board isn't too hard if you know what you're doing. Just save up your LP for Quickenings, Magic Lores, and stuff like that. Anything around that area since they help keep you alive longer and kill things faster. I rarely went for equipment.
I'll probably be better at it this time around. Ever since it came out in '06 I've gotten so much better and making builds and the like.

Wrath`

Smash Master
When you get to the Ozmone plains it is easy to harvest LP on the Giant werewolf baddies as they give 2LP, also when you get to the Vierra village you can buy the accessory that gives double LP, so rare game/marks that give in the 10-20LP are worth even more.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I liked FFXIII but I can see why a lot of people didn't.

I'm not finished, I just wanted to reserve this post in case I get re-re-banned.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
final fantasy XIII is nothing like the original concept of final fantasy I-IX
it focused on being more of a movie than being a game all the battles were easy because once you scan most of your enemys they pretty much just... die its pathedic it takes zero thought exept on bosses the game engine isent the same the game was so linear that there wasent really anything to explore the plot wasent to bad but they DEFFINATLLY ruined the idea of final fantasy it isent a role playing game i dident choose what i wanted to do i watched and pressed x and r1 &r2 the WHOLE time it was aggravating
i want to think when i play a rpg and i want to feel as if i have the role of controlling my character... if final fantasy XV isent good i give up on them... *XIV will be online*
XIII is for noobs who dont know how to think when they play a video game
examples:
halo
call of duty
guitar hero
nascar...

finalark

SNORLAX
i want to think when i play a rpg and i want to feel as if i have the role of controlling my character...
Then go play a western RPG.

examples:
halo
call of duty
guitar hero
nascar...
I laugh at the concept of concept of FPS' taking no thought, same with rhythm games. Although I don't know crap about racing so I won't saying anything abut NASCAR.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
final fantasy XIII is nothing like the original concept of final fantasy I-IX
it focused on being more of a movie than being a game all the battles were easy because once you scan most of your enemys they pretty much just... die its pathedic it takes zero thought exept on bosses the game engine isent the same the game was so linear that there wasent really anything to explore the plot wasent to bad but they DEFFINATLLY ruined the idea of final fantasy it isent a role playing game i dident choose what i wanted to do i watched and pressed x and r1 &r2 the WHOLE time it was aggravating
i want to think when i play a rpg and i want to feel as if i have the role of controlling my character... if final fantasy XV isent good i give up on them... *XIV will be online*
examples:
halo
call of duty
guitar hero
nascar...
Wow. Insulting little prick aren't you. /mad lol

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
im just saying final fantasy is not final fantasy anymore its slowley getting seperated from its roots and isent really "final fantasy" its more like a movie and have you guys even heard about their ideas for final fantasy XV?
its the most degrading thing they could do in my eyes they are seriouslly making it into a movie and if you look away the game pauses ITS STUPID they even said contollers wont be needed so how is this a role playing game?
more of a action cinematic film game...

it is heavy rain...

finalark

SNORLAX
im just saying final fantasy is not final fantasy anymore its slowley getting seperated from its roots and isent really "final fantasy" its more like a movie and have you guys even heard about their ideas for final fantasy XV?
Final Fantasy, or rather, JRPGs in general have slowly been becoming more and more like little linear movies taking flashy set pieces and graphics over game play ever since FFVII.

its the most degrading thing they could do in my eyes they are seriouslly making it into a movie and if you look away the game pauses ITS STUPID they even said contollers wont be needed so how is this a role playing game?
more of a action cinematic film game...
Link?

it is heavy rain...
Have you even played Heavy Rain?

Scratch that, are you even old enough to play Heavy Rain?

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
no im not mad?

and i got a perfect example here... HALO a very very over-rated game it really wasent anything to speical just your average fps with online options so what your saying is that it would be okay if halo got a spin off series that was all cartoony and made for kids then the main series continued and it goes from fps to a puzzle game and hardley has any shooting whatsoever and zero online features

it would be wrong...

finalark

SNORLAX
and i got a perfect example here... HALO a very very over-rated game it really wasent anything to speical just your average fps with online options so what your saying is that it would be okay if halo got a spin off series that was all cartoony and made for kids then the main series continued and it goes from fps to a puzzle game and hardley has any shooting whatsoever and zero online features
Someone here doesn't know **** about gaming history.

And there are a ton of series that have made spin-offs targeted at a younger audience. Like, oh, I don't know.... Final Fantasy?

You know, it's not like each Final Fantasy isn't radically different from each other or anything (aside from a few of the earlier titles).

Top Bottom