• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Dang. Haters gonna hate on Advent Children.

@ Sephiroth

To be honest, I think that Genesis' interference was a nice addition to the rebooting of the Nibelheim incident. In the original game, Sephiroth snapping purely on his own?? He's a much stronger person than that, and it shows in how he's been as a person throughout all of Crisis Core up to the point of Nibelheim. Coming to those conclusions alone, thinking back on it now, it didn't seem as justified until Genesis came in. Someone who could understand what it was like to be a 'monster' and being altered. When you see someone else whose an experiment JUST as he was, and explaining things you don't want to believe? THAT'S the incentive to find out the truth and eventually be driven to become one of Final Fantasy's greatest villains.

Everyone needs that little push, and I think Genesis added to that push nicely. No one else could have done it better, I believe. Maybe Hollander or something. Hojo just coulda told him he was his Father and that woulda changed history though, that kinda thing. Anyway;

That's my take on it. I approve of the retconned Nibelheim incident.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Advent Children was so ********. I don't even remember any of the story, it just looked so stupid especially the stupid DBZ fight scenes.

@Kuraudo:
I can see that, and coming from one of his only friends must take a huge toll on him mentally. But I think he could have reached insanity on his own.

Other things I didn't like about the new Nibelheim incident was the whole "Genesis Clones" appearing. That could have been left out and everyone would have been happy. It seemed like it was just thrown in there, just for the hell of making pointless conflict.

finalark

SNORLAX
I mention a single part of the compilation and suddenly an argument starts up.

Well, I like Crisis Core. That's all that matters to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you ever get a chance to, find a copy of Advent Children Complete. It's well worth it, in my opinion.
I've actually been looking for a copy with no luck. And sadly nobody I know has a copy so I'm out of luck for a while.

Actually, without spoiling anything for you, Crisis Core does a great job at retconning parts of the original VII's past to coincide with the compilation as a whole. I feel.
I haven't gotten particularly far (I just finished the Wutai raid) but I've noticed this already. In FFVII it felt kind of odd that an all-controlling Mega Corporation/Government would be having a hard time fighting off the ragtag team of Avalanche. However, in Crisis Core it quickly becomes apparent that the company was in a major state of decline, thus explaining why they had to go to such drastic measures (other than for the evilulz) to get rid of them.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That's a shame.

Any loopholes or confusion you might have had from the first version is covered up pretty decently in this one. As well as better justification and reasoning to why Cloud regressed the way he did into despair. It's not just extended scenes, but revised previous scenes as well. No pun intended, it just feels...storyline and battle-wise, complete.

If anything, maybe you can find a torrent somewhere.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Watched it, and I take back what I said XD. I had the non complete version so =/ It really did make a difference.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Yeah AC Complete is much better. Should've been the ORIGINAL version of the film but gotta </3 Squenix lawl.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not really sure whats the real answer, but it was probably due to budget. Also, it could have been, that they didn't know how to make the movie any better at the time, or if they did it was too late to do so.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Or maybe they polished it up after it released and said "oh dang".

finalark

SNORLAX
So I felt like watching Advent Children again and cracked open the box that contained the DVD along with all of the other goodies that came with the collectors edition. I noticed that there was what I would loosely call a novel based off of the franchise in there. Huh.

Maybe I should actually read it some time.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Really, the FF7 compilation is a pretty good story in my opinion. Actually, Square Enix is really good about making good storylines; it's gameplay that is suffering. Over the years the exploration of FF has dwindled down significantly, and the gameplay seems to go 'meh' as well. I liked the battle system in XIII, but it was so...not FFish.

I wish they'd listen to their fans for once.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Ah! You found the novellas, On The Way to a Smile, Finalark.

They bridge the gap between Advent Children and Final Fantasy VII, from the perspectives of different characters. Like what happened with Denzel, the rebuilding of 7th Heaven in Edge, Cloud taking up the delivery business and his initial reasoning for his depression, Barret's search for an alternate energy source asides mako and the like, the list goes on.

I'm sure that there could be more of them to be released soon.

finalark

SNORLAX
Really, the FF7 compilation is a pretty good story in my opinion. Actually, Square Enix is really good about making good storylines; it's gameplay that is suffering. Over the years the exploration of FF has dwindled down significantly, and the gameplay seems to go 'meh' as well. I liked the battle system in XIII, but it was so...not FFish.
I actually didn't like the story of FF7. Honestly, there are bits and pieces which are pretty cool but the characters for the most part just felt way to underdeveloped and the plot was terribly structured. Although I do agree that the games have been getting more and more linear over the years.

Ah! You found the novellas, On The Way to a Smile, Finalark.

They bridge the gap between Advent Children and Final Fantasy VII, from the perspectives of different characters. Like what happened with Denzel, the rebuilding of 7th Heaven in Edge, Cloud taking up the delivery business and his initial reasoning for his depression, Barret's search for an alternate energy source asides mako and the like, the list goes on.

I'm sure that there could be more of them to be released soon.
That might actually explain a few things. I just re-watched Advent Children today and the plot is actually worse than I remember it.

Sim

Smash Apprentice
I got to watch a 100 hours long interactive movie to Platinum Trophy with FFXIII.

Couldn't have spent my $60 better.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I actually didn't like the story of FF7. Honestly, there are bits and pieces which are pretty cool but the characters for the most part just felt way to underdeveloped and the plot was terribly structured. Although I do agree that the games have been getting more and more linear over the years.

That might actually explain a few things. I just re-watched Advent Children today and the plot is actually worse than I remember it.
Just remember, at the time, it was that, or Legend of the Dragoon. Take your pick. >_>

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I liked On The Way To A Smile, mostly Tifa's version =P I thought the story was cute.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just remember, at the time, it was that, or Legend of the Dragoon. Take your pick. >_>
Or FFVIII. Or IX. Or Breath of Fire III. Or IV. Or Vagrant Story. Or Dragon Warrior VII. Or Grandia. Or Xenogears. Or Wild Arms. Or any of the many other numerous JRPGs that flooded the market after FF7 gave them their brief burst of popularity.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Or FFVIII. Or IX. Or Breath of Fire III. Or IV. Or Vagrant Story. Or Dragon Warrior VII. Or Grandia. Or Xenogears. Or Wild Arms. Or any of the many other numerous JRPGs that flooded the market after FF7 gave them their brief burst of popularity.
No no no. I meant of that year. Iirc, the year VII came out, as did Dragoon.

I realize IX and Breath of fire III are epic. I -really- love the Breath of Fire series. It saddens me Capcom isn't reviving it.

finalark

SNORLAX
No no no. I meant of that year. Iirc, the year VII came out, as did Dragoon.
Um, no.

From wikipedia:

Final Fantasy VII - released in 1997

Legend of Dragoon - released in 2000

Sorry man.

EDIT: I did some quick research and if you were an NA gamer in '97 and if all you had was a PS and you wanted an RPG your choices were:

Final Fantasy VII
Suikoden
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (although it's very different from most RPGs)
Breath of Fire III
Wild Arms
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

That's a very diverse group of RPGs you have there with many of them being good choices. The only reason why FF7 beat any of them is just because it manged to break out of the niche audience that most JRPGs catered to in the west and brought the genre to mainstream eyes.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Wow I'm three years off. I could've sworn I read in some review that they were considered rival rpgs of the year. <_< Well, either way you forgot Chrono Cross in your list.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow I'm three years off. I could've sworn I read in some review that they were considered rival rpgs of the year. <_< Well, either way you forgot Chrono Cross in your list.
If you mean my list of awesome RPGs is because I haven't gotten around to playing it yet (despite the fact that I own it. I should play it once I'm done with Skies of Arcadia).

As for '97 RPGs, well, it kind of came out in 2000.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hah yeah. Theres so many old games I want to play, though since I've gotten a job I'm more into current ones at the moment. Doesn't help that Nintendo is going into overtime <_>.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hah yeah. Theres so many old games I want to play, though since I've gotten a job I'm more into current ones at the moment. Doesn't help that Nintendo is going into overtime <_>.
Same story here, man.

Oh well, good thing older games are generally pretty cheap unless you're going after an incredibly rare and valuable game such as Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Lets see..Need to finish:

Monster Hunter Tri
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Pokemon SS

Getting:

DCKR, Sonic Colors, FFXIII, Dragon Age, Kirby, SSF4, not to mention I play Brawl a bit too. Marth<3 And working 35 hours kinda takes the time away from me v.v

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Time for a cool story.

So a friend of mine hacked his copy of FFX to get infinite gil. This resulted in the game displaying his amount of gil in hex.

finalark

SNORLAX
Some FFIV news if anyone cares:

Square's gonna give FFXIV a "this game doesn't suck" patch in reaction to all of the criticism and 4/10s. A few things they're doing:

- Tweaking the battle system to be more user-friendly
- Improvements to PC controls
- Reducing lag
- Revamping the interface to be more user-friendly
- Interface customization
- Enhancements to the map
- More tutorials and quests

Source:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/final...v/a-2010111516457707074/g-2009060212274149050

Maybe if they manage to fix everything console gamers will finally get a decent MMORPG once it comes out for the PS3 around 2011.

Then again, the fact that Square put out an MMORPG that would have only been acceptable eight years ago kind of proves to me that they've really fallen behind the times. Perhaps they should take better hints from Blizzard when it comes to developing MMORPGS.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Some FFIV news if anyone cares:
Oh boy, I love FFIV!

A bunch of FFXIV stuff.

Speaking of ellipses, I've been playing FFVII recently and I have a question about what happens at the end of disc one.

So when Aeris dies, do you get to keep whatever was equipped on her? She's in my party through the whole Temple of the Ancients and I don't want to unequip her before a boss battle or something but I also don't want to lose my materia.

finalark

SNORLAX
So when Aeris dies, do you get to keep whatever was equipped on her? She's in my party through the whole Temple of the Ancients and I don't want to unequip her before a boss battle or something but I also don't want to lose my materia.
Do we really need to put "Aeris dies" in spoiler tags?

But anyway, it's been a long time but if I recall you get to keep your materia. Not sure if you get to keep her gear, though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't care about her gear, I intentionally gave her lower grade armor and nobody else can use staves.

Top Bottom