• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Welcome to the NHK! (Both the Anime and the Manga [Even the novel is amazing.])
Code Geass
5 Centimeters Per Second

It's really good stuff yo.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Code Geass
5 Centimeters Per Second

Bleachigo and I might be stalwart enemies, but at least I can say he has great taste in anime.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Code Geass
5 Centimeters Per Second

I still have yet to watch Welcome to the NHK even though I bought it like a year ago =(

Code Geass is Death Note with Gundams =3 I feel like I need to rewatch the series because everyone loves it so much. I feel like something is wrong with me for not thinking it was that good.

5 Centimeters Per Second is a great example of an anime that makes me sad. I have a shelf right in front of my laptop where I keep all my anime stuff, and I just glanced up and the first DVD I saw was 5cm. I can honestly say my heart still hurts just looking at the case.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I have DeAtH nOtE in first place, Code Geass in second, but that's my way to see it.

What's the best Anime/Manga for you guys?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I have DeAtH nOtE in first place, Code Geass in second, but that's my way to see it.

What's the best Anime/Manga for you guys?
Anime is tough, and it'd be too hard for me to name one favorite, especially since different genres suit different moods.

Death Note is one of those series that's pretty good but sadly over-hyped by the anime community as a whole.

EDIT: When you edit the OP be sure to remove OneManga as a source for reading online, as the site received one too many takedown requests and has since removed all of its manga.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
durarara! should be added

the story presentation is written like baccano

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Death Note manga is imo superior to the anime.

Welcome to the NHK is incredibly good, but you have to know a bit about Japan to really appreciate it, so maybe note that.

What about the KyoAni produced Key productions (Air, Kanon 06, Clannad) - they're not your typical anime at all, and are excellent examples of animated and emotional drama.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Welcome to the NHK is incredibly good, but you have to know a bit about Japan to really appreciate it, so maybe note that.

What about the KyoAni produced Key productions (Air, Kanon 06, Clannad) - they're not your typical anime at all, and are excellent examples of animated and emotional drama.
Kyoani prior to Haruhi 2.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I would put this on the list, except from what I remember it's pretty heavily reliant on otaku stereotypes. And if someone doesn't already like anime or manga (and is not Japanese), chances are they're not going to be familiar with those stereotypes, and therefore not get a lot of the stuff in Welcome to the NHK!

I'm not saying that WttNHK doesn't have value outside its use of those stereotypes. However, the heavy use of them makes me think it wouldn't really fit on this list.

Code Geass
I was actually kind of torn about Code Geass. It's a good show, but it's definitely not perfect and has some elements that might turn off non-anime fans. For example, the mechs and fairly heavy fanservice in the first season. However, I think the sheer energy of the show is strong enough to carry it through that, and I could definitely see it being an effective introduction to anime for a good number of people.

I'll probably put it on the list.

5 Centimeters Per Second
Haven't seen this. :(

Probably should. People keep mentioning it to me.

Code Geass is Death Note with Gundams =3 I feel like I need to rewatch the series because everyone loves it so much. I feel like something is wrong with me for not thinking it was that good.
Eh, people have different tastes. And I don't think Code Geass was anywhere near perfect. I just had tons of fun watching it.

EDIT: When you edit the OP be sure to remove OneManga as a source for reading online, as the site received one too many takedown requests and has since removed all of its manga.
Yeah, I'll probably replace it with Mangafox. Or maybe Mangareader? I dunno. I figure I'll also link to Baka-Updates and Baka-Updates Manga since they catalog pretty much every anime or manga ever fansubbed/scanlated and link you to the fansubber's/scanlator's website. I'll probably also replace AnimeNewsNetwork with MyAnimeList just because I like MAL better.

If any of you guys have suggestions to make about which sites to link to let me know, even if it contradicts what I said I was going to do.

It's kind of... Spanish, isn't it?

I mean, obviously Spanish speakers can watch/read anime/manga too, but since SWF is essentially entirely English speaking it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to link to a website that's in Spanish.

durarara! should be added

the story presentation is written like baccano
Apparently Ryohgo Narita loves exclamation marks.

Anyhow, I found Baccano!'s plot more coherent and engaging than Durarara!!'s. Looking around the net, Baccano! generally seems to be rated better, too. That's not to say that Durarara!! is a bad show, but I think it falls just short of being something I'd put on the list.

Not to mention that Baccano!'s setting will be a lot more comfortable to most Westerners than Durarara!!'s. Chicago feels a lot less foreign than Tokyo, even if both shows were made in Japan.

Lol Baccano should be added too.
Absolutely.

I am planning on it, in fact.

I admit I haven't watched the entire anime, but judging from what I've seen of it and the ratings on MAL and ANN, the anime and manga are of very similar quality. I don't think it's worth making a distinction between the two for Death Note.

Honestly, in my mind that pretty much disqualifies it. :urg:

It's super unlikely that a new anime watcher would know enough about Japan to avoid missing out on a lot of stuff in WttNHK.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with those shows. I will mention that just the character design is likely to instantly turn off a lot of potential viewers. From my experience, newcomers to anime have a fairly low tolerance for big eyed anime faces, and Key character design takes that style to its extreme.

That wouldn't prevent me from putting them on the list if I'd seen them and thought they would fit. Of course I haven't seen them, so it's kind of moot right now.

Would you like me to stick them up in the Other Recommendations list?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Clannad and Kanon in particular are exceptional examples of plot-driven, non-shounen anime. If you can get past the animation style, it's funny, heartwarming and very emotional, and I would probably recommend them above almost any other anime.

I know a couple of very anti-Japan people who really loved Clannad, if that matters.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
"Monster" was a waste of my life. I would not recommend that garbage. It's overrated and the ending was a huge disappointment since the whole series lead up to what should have been an amazing climax but ended up being like WTF....this is the climactic scene I've been waiting for!?!?

"Beck" was....meh. I enjoyed it but I didn't really like the japanese trying to sing in English...at all.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
"Monster" was a waste of my life. I would not recommend that garbage. It's overrated and the ending was a huge disappointment since the whole series lead up to what should have been an amazing climax but ended up being like WTF....this is the climactic scene I've been waiting for!?!?
*eyes narrow*

Snuc

Smash Apprentice
I recommend AnimeRatio.com for a website, they have great english dubs and also subs, tons and tons of animes, and a good community.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Just finished Code Geass. Don't watch or particularly like much anime but this was one of the greatest things I've ever watched.

Loved it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I strongly recommend

Genres: Action, SciFi, Organized Crime, Drama
Maturity Level: PG-13 - Mostly just for violence. "Mature themes" such as drugs and alcohol too.
Manga or Anime: Anime. There is no manga
Story: The series follows orphaned friends Brandon Heat and Harry MacDowell as they determine to make something of themselves from the bottom up within the city's largest crime syndicate. As they become better at what they do, more power tests the bonds and the beliefs they held since they were young.
Chronologically, the first episode is about halfway through the series. From then it goes back to begin at Brandon and Harry's youth.

For what this may be worth, it's one of the few anime I've ever seen whose last episode just about made me cry.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Yo! It's been a while! Just wanted to say, Steins;Gate is amazing! Looks like someone's already fitted themselves with a pic of Kristinnnnah!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Anyone seen Afro Samurai?

That show was fantastic, even if it wasn't a "true" anime.

It looks amazing and isn't that long, so you don't have to struggle to get into it.

I'd highly recommend it.

Recently watched TTGL and really enjoyed that.

Kinda cheesy but, still fun as hell to watch.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I kinda stopped watching anime for almost 2 years. I tried to get back into it, but nothing could keep my attention. Lately I've been watching Soul Eater, and I'm impressed. I enjoy it a lot. It's not the best anime I've ever seen, but it's the first anime in a long while to keep my attention. I'm almost half way through the series.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i met a girl whose first anime was neon genesis evangelion

needless to say, i can see why she stopped watching anime. LOL

NTA

Smash Lord
I strongly recommend

Genres: Action, SciFi, Organized Crime, Drama
Maturity Level: PG-13 - Mostly just for violence. "Mature themes" such as drugs and alcohol too.
Manga or Anime: Anime. There is no manga
Story: The series follows orphaned friends Brandon Heat and Harry MacDowell as they determine to make something of themselves from the bottom up within the city's largest crime syndicate. As they become better at what they do, more power tests the bonds and the beliefs they held since they were young.
Chronologically, the first episode is about halfway through the series. From then it goes back to begin at Brandon and Harry's youth.

For what this may be worth, it's one of the few anime I've ever seen whose last episode just about made me cry.
Looks like the cover of a rpg game lol...

Top Bottom