• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Gaogao

Smash Cadet
Gurren Lagann!!! Wow easily one of the best animes out there!!!!!!! MUST WATCH

:phone:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were good, and they don't really seem like they would deter anime virgins away from anime.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Yeah buddy! I have both the original series (Viridian collection) on DVD, and Brotherhood on Blu-Ray.

I don't usually buy movies or television series, but when they're as good as this I have to buy them.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Cromartie High School is, in my opinion, pretty funny and highly recommendable.

I've seen many, many good comments about this anime, and even the English dub is widely considered the best dub ever, even by people who usually prefer Japanese dubs.

CHS mixes comedy and philosophy together so well you wouldn't believe it, and I think even someone who isn't familiar with any good anime will find its sophisticated humor quite enjoyable.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Can anyone recommend me an anime with a somewhat serious and mature atmosphere (I don't like comedy in my animes. The Fullmetal Alchemist series was perfect) that I'd actually end up buying after watching it online?

I'd prefer it to be set in a more medieval fantasy setting (I do not like futuristic settings).

Also, animes with less than 100 episodes would be preferable as I find most animes just get dull at around the 70+ episode mark.

Thanks!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were good, and they don't really seem like they would deter anime virgins away from anime.
The Fullmetal Alchemist anime was good until I seen Brotherhood, and now I cannot stand watching the original because it was so poorly done in comparison!

Also, I am not entirely aligned with how Dragon Ball Z is this "anime-that-turns-away-potential-anime-watchers", considering it is what a lot of people have watched before they even knew what anime was in their childhood, and it is so iconic that people who literally hate anime have seen it. And if that isn't good enough proof of my point, then I just say read the manga because it is more expedient and there isn't any filler, long pauses, or drawn out fight scenes. But Dragon Ball Z Kai is pretty close to the manga although it lacks the Buu arc in terms of filler or extra fat in fights, almost like the "Brotherhood" of DBZ although the original not being altered so much as stretched.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Can anyone recommend me an anime with a somewhat serious and mature atmosphere (I don't like comedy in my animes. The Fullmetal Alchemist series was perfect) that I'd actually end up buying after watching it online?

I'd prefer it to be set in a more medieval fantasy setting (I do not like futuristic settings).

Also, animes with less than 100 episodes would be preferable as I find most animes just get dull at around the 70+ episode mark.

Thanks!
Maybe Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni or Spice and Wolf (and their respective sequels, sans OVAs)

i dunno, what you asked for is rather specific

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
medieval fantasy...

Utawarerumono is that way till the last 6 episodes (its 26 episodes long as well) but then it becomes a science fiction anime. (it is dubbed in English as well, if you want English)

I really really enjoyed Utawarerumono's beginning so much that I didn't care that the ending sucked.

Spice and Wolf isn't medieval, but its definitively an older time period (industrial revolution time period). its an amazing anime. I love it as well. Its about economics with a twist of romance and supernatural gods who are now outdated.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
So many...guess I'll have to check out all of them!

And to whoever mentioned Dragonball Kai: I have the of the released parts on Blu-Ray so far, but I haven't opened them yet haha.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I watched the first seven episodes of Death Note and haven't watched it since, I was not entertained at all.
Blasphemy!
Maybe try reading the manga instead, I prefer it over the anime.

Code Geass is a mech-version of Death Note, so you're likely to enjoy it.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
As in it has giant mechas (massive robots that people get inside of and battle with). Although already it sounds drastically different from Death Note, it really does have an insane amount of similarities.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah there are only a few painful episodes of mecha-fighting that absolutely accomplishes nothing, but the rest is well done. The manga probably does without that considering the main storyline is only eight volumes.

Okuser

Smash Ace
I started watching code geass because yall recommended it, I'm like 12 episodes in and it's pretty good. I only have a few small problems with it.

DUB

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I generally think anime sucks. Pokemon and DBZ are the only ones I've watched. Saturdays Adult Swim plays only Anime like Bleach, FMA, etc. I bash da hayl out of Bleach I think it's really terrible. but since I've never really seen one I've been called out for it. Recommendatiosn for something I might like? Going to give it a try before I say anything.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I started watching code geass because yall recommended it, I'm like 12 episodes in and it's pretty good. I only have a few small problems with it.
which would be?

i need to get back to watching it. last i watched was the geass vs geass episode

DUB

Smash Lord
I actually stopped watching Gurren Lagann about 3 minutes into it. It seemed like it had a gundamish look to it and I wasn't to in. I figured I'd give Ergo Proxy since it sounded mildly interesting. It's pretty decent, seems a lot like I Robot in a sense lol.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
your loss

im not going to say give it another chance, because if you've seen kamina and have no particular interest in him, then there's no point going on

M!nt

Smash Champion
Is the new Hunter x Hunter any good? Better or Worse than the original? Wondering which I should start.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, manga is definitely the way to go. Anime is more fit for watching with friends, if one is without company, manga is superior. Besides, it feels good to be able to pull manga off the shelf and look through it!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There are some things you can get out of an anime that you couldn't in a manga. easier visuals and voices (imagination can only go so far) plus color is much easier on the eyes than black and white. Plus if its as good as the manga, then its really pleases ya.

A person who is good at reading tone though will usually prefer manga over anime.. Pretty much what i'm saying.

Top Bottom