• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
i recommend Clannad and Angel beats!. Clannad was tear jerking and a slice of life, Angel beats! was funny and action packed.

PS get some tissues for Clannad. Probably 10 boxes

EDIT: I need to watch Death Note sooner or later. Heard it was great.
phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Clannad is my most favorite visual novel I've ever played and the anime to it is very well done. (visual novel has more impact but anime is significantly shorter and animated)

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
Have you tried monster? steins gate is pretty good too
Heard of them, as long as they are complicated, but not to the extent as most Gundams, maybe. Some plot twists , but not so many you don't know what the story is about anymore falls under this clause as well. I may try these on Crunchyroll soon.
Another concern that I ask many people before watching potentially morbid anime series is if there are children suffering from PTSD or in overly intense scenarios in general, that will likely turn me away.

I will say I will watch anime from any decade (60s-present) I LOVE Gatchaman (70s)!!!

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
I really love the Aria anime series. If those reading this want an episodic story ending at 52 episodes (not counting OVA) that doesn't rely on action, terrorists, political mayhem/conspiricy theories, or mature humor every 5 seconds, but rather reminding one of the everyday joys of life in an alternate Venice Italy, enjoy to your heart's content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all anime needs to be all happy cutesy girls nor all gloomy guns and swords, as I usually find the (often obscure) balance in what I view.

NTA

Smash Lord
FLCL is high recommended. Watch it if you haven't already you pieces of ****. It's only 6 episodes but that's all that's needed for an awesome show like FLCL.

Samurai Champloo best also. Has epic opening theme = reason enough to watch it.

If you've seen them before, watch it again :troll:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I added FLCL to my que hope to see it soon!

Just finished Speed Grapher, Master of Martial Hearts, Strike Witches, Dance in the Vampire Bund, and am now about half way through Noein.

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
It seems my tastes have changed, I am mostly versatile with anime, BUT here are what I don't like at all:
Post-apocalyptic anything
Children physically abused or in a morbid state
Bashing of religion (that was my view on what little of Evangelion I saw)

Things that literally bore me to the point of sleeping: ecchi and exaggerated and overly long fights like in Naruto, DBZ etc.

I like cutesy designs (very unmanly of me isn't it?), goofy faces, running gags, self-doubting heroes, mythical references and parodies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Samurai Champloo is the ****. Awesome soundtrack, cool characters, great atmosphere, and it's from Watanabe, the same guy who made Cowboy Bebop. And it's got Steve Blum as a VA so how it could not be awesome lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
tiger&bunny is pretty good, a sleeper show that japan loved and the rest of the world meh'd

the merchandise from it is hilarious/horrifying, don't say i didn't warn you

Just to throw some names out there, people should try out Trigun, Wolf's Rain, Kaiji, and Baccano.
Most certainly Kaiji and Baccano though.

If you liked Death Note or any other suspense shows, you'll most likely love Kaiji.

Baccano fits into a more western type of show, the Dub is even better than the sub imo. It's an over the top show with some mob ties and such thrown in. The best way to describe this show is chaos.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's definitely in my queue but after finishing Noein and Negima!? I've started up Sgt. Frog cause I wanna keep up with the funny streak I'm on and Negi was just hilarious. But I've heard great things about Baccano so I'm definitely going to watch it, probably around the same time I watch El Cazador de la Bruja

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
This was the first thread that came up when "ecchi" was searched.

Consider yourselves winners

No. ~Werekill

Triple post merged

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
For some reason i hate bleach it my bring action just because others like i hate as much as this avi but i looks badazz.
but for the most part i fit in with this avi so i have too live with that.

Shoutout to yu yu hakusho :D

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
I never like bleach although Ichigo is very charming but no bleach is just not my cup of tea.

BTW I recently watched Hetalia: Axis Powers! It's my new favorite now. So hilarious I can't stop laughing when I watch it

rinisan

Smash Apprentice
I'm watching Kingdom TV series. It's so bad-***! No matter from graphic or contents! It's definitely a HQ animation with deep story lines!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just caught up with a lot of the manga's I haven't read in 2 years (Almost exactly 2 years)

Negima really sucked, especially it's ending. I think it would have been better if it ended with Asuna in the future than what really happened. I think the creator just wanted to end the series. It seems very abrupt.

Fairy Tail hasn't disappointed me, which isn't a surprise since I like Rave Master. One Piece is still as interesting as well.

Bleach and Naruto aren't any worse off than what I expected. Though Bleach had this whole chapter thing which was nothing more than filler. It's like they looked at the cartoon series for inspiration.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Negima really sucked, especially it's ending. I think it would have been better if it ended with Asuna in the future than what really happened. I think the creator just wanted to end the series. It seems very abrupt.
i hope you were watching the anime

the manga was great, ending wasn't terrible at all

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i hope you were watching the anime

the manga was great, ending wasn't terrible at all
Nope. The manga. It was horribly put together and decided to throw out all future plots, including the reveal of his father.

I don't know in what world that could be considered a good ending.

Magic Asuna time travel to fix everything?

I'm 100% sure the creator was tired of the series and just decided to end it before it was really done

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*pokes his head in.* Kaze no Stigma is...interesting. Kinda linear, predictable, with a budding romance that draws frightening parallels to a Rumiko Takahashi anime/manga...

The main character is an unrepentant douche with a heart of gold.

Smooth Criminal

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Why aren't Eden of the East and Bakemonogatari on this list? Both fantastic, fairly unconventional anime with beautiful animation and great storylines.

Smeagol

Smash Rookie
The only manga I have red that would fall into this category is Kiss Wood
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=57167
That's because it doesn't contain much of the cliche stuff. Everything about it (especially art and the characters) feels very unique/fresh compared to other manga i have red. And it also has a nice little moral which will make you keep thinking about it long after you have red it. I recommend it to everybody (it doesn't matter what your taste in manga is). Just read it and you can thank me later :yeahboi:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been reading GTO for the second time.

I really hope everything they show about Japanese culture in it is exaggerated...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not manga, but since there is no "comic book" section, I'll post here.

I just finished Batman: The Cult which was one of the top 25 Batman novels recommended by IGN. Really enjoyed it, and if anyone is a fan of Batman, they should go check it out. It's about 200+ pages, and took me about hour and half to read. Good stuff.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Sorry, but even though manga is tolerated online (due to some being only available in english online), comic downloading is definitely piracy. There aren't any sites to just view them like a manga site would let you, either.

Top Bottom