• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Well, beside that. I just put that to stop the inevitable "but TTGL has literally zero of the problems with typical mech anime" when it has almost all of them.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

How the hell did TTGL hate start up? You're trying to hard bizarro.

:054:

asianaussie making me feel like I've already posted, JoJo's is pretty amazing.

I gotta say, I'm really liking Psycho-Pass too, this season is good.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
ITT: it is impossible to not like something if it doesn't take itself seriously, because if you don't have a positive opinion about it you're misinterpreting it and therefore dumb.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
After having purchased the third Lagann manga volume I read it and was genuinely shocked at the last few pages. I will say nothing more on that.

One anime that I've watched recently is Kuroko's Basketball which was actually pretty good, full of energy probably typical to a sports anime. Likable characters as well. Hoping they come out with another season, which I'm sure they will, I'd much rather watch it than read it, particularly because I'd have to do it online which is frustrating.

Another anime I watched a season of is Sword Art Online which kind of felt a little lacking towards the second half, but the first half was strong enough to create inertia due to it being very interesting. The concept of people logging into a virtual reality game where they can't leave nor die allowed for some feels and psychological transformations.

Some manga I'm beginning to start are Battle Royale, Hunter x Hunter, and Air Gear, three volumes in the first and one volume in on the other two. So far so good.

Edit: Also read one of Blade of the Immortal and working on getting Itsuwaribito, the former about an immortal who must kill a thousand evil men before he can lose his immortality and the latter about a kid who has mastered the art of lying and intends to use lies to save 1,000 people with "good lies" to carry out the dream of his gramps. Both about the protagonist doing something for a 1,000 people but one killing and one saving. XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sword Art Online is overrated and overhyped

That said, its only good for the first 8 episodes. Then its meh and once the 2nd half starts its just gets ridiculous.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
how is sword art? my schools been on break for over a week now and my roommate just told me that he finished the whole thing at home and i should def watch it

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sword art online is magnificent until the episode 10 or so, then it goes down to above average.

Half way through it loses its charm and its just be ok and for those who like mmos it'll be good.

My biggest problem with SAO is how much potenial it could have had but it failed to reach that.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
SAO story arcs go like this
the first arc(sword art) is brilliant
second arc(alfheim) is meh
third arc(gungale) is either just as good as the first or slightly better
haven't gotten to reading the 4th arc yet though

its definitely worth watching/reading if you haven't already

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lmao @ rutger's avy, jojo too good

anyone who hates on TTGL and tries to convince others to hate it is trying way too hard, just like anyone who hates on evangelion or the mecha genr-

oh wait

just sit back and enjoy the over-the-top lightshow

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I just started watching the Jojo redux.

It's so freaking awesome. It's the like the studio that drew and animated this lifted the pages right from the manga and brought them to life.

Smooth Criminal

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
anyone who hates on TTGL and tries to convince others to hate it is trying way too hard, just like anyone who hates on evangelion or the mecha genr-

oh wait

just sit back and enjoy the over-the-top lightshow
What about the mecha genre immediately invalidates any opposing opinions as "trying too hard"? And keep in mind, you said "anyone", so pointing to me won't validate this. Neither will continuing to call me a tryhard.

edit: I'm not trying to get people to hate TTGL any more than you're trying to force me to like it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
from what ive seen, mecha fans are usually illogical in their love for mecha - they know little to nothing about engineering and merely love the awesome factor of robots

any attempt to hate on their anime will reach deaf ears and is wasted effort, so i can only surmise that you are trying to appeal to peers who also want to hate on their anime

i personally dont like mecha at all, i just think TTGL's message of '**** life, drill holes' is pretty rad, and im certainly not wasting my time trying to convince you to like it lol

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
from what ive seen, mecha fans are usually illogical in their love for mecha - they know little to nothing about engineering and merely love the awesome factor of robots

any attempt to hate on their anime will reach deaf ears and is wasted effort, so i can only surmise that you are trying to appeal to peers who also want to hate on their anime
I'm just expressing my opinion, and then you guys came in with "LOL TRYHARD WHAT ARE OPINIONS"

i personally dont like mecha at all, i just think TTGL's message of '**** life, drill holes' is pretty rad, and im certainly not wasting my time trying to convince you to like it lol
You have been saying that I'm a tryhard for not liking it and telling me to "just enjoy it". You've been doing that for at least as long as I've been expressing my opinion about mecha, which was, like, three posts at most. And I meant that eitherwe're both doing it or neither of us are, not that you definitely were.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not to mention that TTGL is kind of this mash-up parody of the mecha genre anyway. That's part of the reason why it's so endearing to me. Lol. Japanese humor too stronk (sometimes).

I'm not a mecha fan by any stretch of the imagination, but there are certain shows/movies from the genre that I enjoyed. *shrugs.*

I wish some studio in Japan somewhere made a Zone of the Enders anime that wasn't IDOLO. =/ **** engineering and physics. Give me impossibly aerodynamic, teleporting, ****ing badass looking over-the-top robots.

Smooth Criminal

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Not to mention that TTGL is kind of this mash-up parody of the mecha genre anyway. That's part of the reason why it's so endearing to me. Lol. Japanese humor too stronk (sometimes).
It didn't really feel like a parody to me. In a parody, I usually see them making fun of something in the source material, and I didn't see that here. And since this is Gainax, I'm not going to chalk it up to extreme subtlety.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You have been saying that I'm a tryhard for not liking it and telling me to "just enjoy it". You've been doing that for at least as long as I've been expressing my opinion about mecha, which was, like, three posts at most. And I meant that eitherwe're both doing it or neither of us are, not that you definitely were.
you hated on an entire genre of anime, went out of your way to namedrop TTGL, because you know it's one of the more deviant and well-liked series in that genre (if you can even call it mecha)

if that isn't trying hard to bait responses, what is?

and i sure as hell aint wasting my time trying to change somebody else's tastes, im just saying that enjoying TTGL involves not taking it seriously

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
you hated on an entire genre of anime, went out of your way to namedrop TTGL, because you know it's one of the more deviant and well-liked series in that genre (if you can even call it mecha)
I told you exactly why I mentioned it specifically, it's because I'm sick of people shoving it onto me as the saving grace of the genre which always happens.

and i sure as hell aint wasting my time trying to change somebody else's tastes, im just saying that enjoying TTGL involves not taking it seriously
Define "taking it seriously".

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, I felt like TTGL poked fun at the mecha genre at certain points (examples: Voltron-ish transformations; the overblown sentai/camaraderie bits {****ing Kamina, lol}; and also, a ****ing enemy mecha that looks almost exactly like a Gundam).

And Gainax is actually known for subliminal comedic works. FLCL, for example.

Smooth Criminal

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
That's ********, why would I ever refrain from judging something based on its quality? I'm not just going to like it because not liking it is taking it too seriously (interestingly enough, half the people who I say I don't like it to respond the way you've been).

Well, I felt like TTGL poked fun at the mecha genre at certain points (examples: Voltron-ish transformations; the overblown sentai/camaraderie bits {****ing Kamina, lol}; and also, a ****ing enemy mecha that looks almost exactly like a Gundam).
Those were making fun of those things? I couldn't tell, I thought it was just because the mecha genre was so lazy and repetitive.

And Gainax is actually known for subliminal comedic works. FLCL, for example.
I hate their sense of humor. If they were trying to be funny, I guess I just didn't pick up on it because they weren't being super obvious as usual and I find nothing they do even remotely humorous. The only thing they ever made that I laughed at/enjoyed was PSG, but that guy left.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying as hard as I can to be negative, but I'm not, this is legitimately how I feel.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
alright, you can go back to whatever it is you consider quality

gurren lagann is a simple show with simple messages - if you've had to listen to people rant on about it and overanalyse it to the point of idiocy, then i sympathise with you, but at the same time i dont feel it's right to condemn a genre about robots simply for focusing more on said robots than plot and/or character depth and development

also, unless you watch a lot of mecha, mecha parodies probably won't click for you as much as they would for someone who has watched a lot of robots punching each other

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
i dont feel it's right to condemn a genre about robots simply for focusing more on said robots than plot and/or character depth and development
If they're shows just about super robot action, than sure (TTGL definitely was not just this, though). If we see are constantly seeing the pilots interact outside of the robots, then obviously character development is important (or at least just having them not suck).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i think the point of having not-kamina characters was just to show how much they sucked compared to kamina

dont get me wrong, i dont actually think TTGL is high-quality (as you probably surmised by me avoiding that particular aspect in discussion), I just think it's a fun watch, and something sufficiently different from normal daytime programming to pique one's interest in anime

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
I agree with aussie

ttgl was a fun, entertaining watch for me and that's it. Nothing on the show made me pause in the middle and think about what was going on with regards to the plot/characters, as opposed to other anime like say fma brotherhood.

:phone:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm just expressing my opinion, and then you guys came in with "LOL TRYHARD WHAT ARE OPINIONS"

I love TTGL, and I can honestly care less what you think of it, but when you bring it up just so you can quickly insult it when everyone else is talking about Eva...

Yeah, you just want to get people mad.

It didn't really feel like a parody to me. In a parody, I usually see them making fun of something in the source material, and I didn't see that here.
More of an affectionate parody and a tribute to the super robot genre. The creators love the genre, a lot of things are parodies but nothing is ever done in a hateful way, they just wanted to have fun with it all. They really went all out with the show, stuff like how each story arc represents a different era in the genre, and hell, even episode four was a parody of the very common low quality episodes in other shows, too bad they kind of were too faithful with that one.

lmao @ rutger's avy, jojo too good
I just started watching the Jojo redux.

It's so freaking awesome. It's the like the studio that drew and animated this lifted the pages right from the manga and brought them to life.

Smooth Criminal
This new Jojo's anime is the best adaptation of a manga I have seen.

Every scene is just so interesting to watch, I love how it will mess with the color scheme.

It also has some of the best openings I have seen for an anime, this show has been amazing.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I love TTGL, and I can honestly care less what you think of it, but when you bring it up just so you can quickly insult it when everyone else is talking about Eva...

Yeah, you just want to get people mad.
I have explained twice why I mentioned TTGL, it's not my fault that you decided not to look at either of those posts. I'll quote them here so that you have no excuse not to see them:

I just put that to stop the inevitable "but TTGL has literally zero of the problems with typical mech anime" when it has almost all of them.
I told you exactly why I mentioned it specifically, it's because I'm sick of people shoving it onto me as the saving grace of the genre which always happens.
Also, I never wanted to make anyone mad, although I guess that's what happens when you make a passing comment and everyone else wants to argue with you about it.

More of an affectionate parody and a tribute to the super robot genre. The creators love the genre, a lot of things are parodies but nothing is ever done in a hateful way, they just wanted to have fun with it all. They really went all out with the show, stuff like how each story arc represents a different era in the genre, and hell, even episode four was a parody of the very common low quality episodes in other shows, too bad they kind of were too faithful with that one.
And then, as a parody, the producer retired in shame because of that episode. This is really just sounding like asspull justifications at this point.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
No I'm just parodying it.

Seriously, though, that's pretty much just an insult, as that doesn't even attempt to refute anything I've said.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I know. You can just accept that it's my opinion and move on, like you should have a few days ago. Like I said, I made a passing comment that needed to be said to avoid the inevitable "ttgl is the answer to everything", and you people wanted to argue about it or accuse me of trolling for having a negative opinion. Who's being the tool here, again?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I saw those posts, figured my post had enough quotes as it is and that my response made it pretty damn obvious that it was completely pointless to bring up TTGL when everyone was busy with Eva.

And yeah, bad ideas like episode four happen, but it also serves as a great example of what the creative team was going for, they wanted to have fun with both the good and the bad of the genre, everything they loved about it.

So yeah, of course you wouldn't like the show when it was made as a tribute to everything that made the genre you hate what it is.

Top Bottom