• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
So yeah, of course you wouldn't like the show when it was made as a tribute to everything that made the genre you hate what it is.
I honestly never thought of it that way, mainly because every single person who recommended it claimed that it's not like other mecha anime and that I'd like it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Finished the series and also managed to watch the The Ending of Evangelion. All in all, it had its ups and downs. I can see why people who think of it as greatness, but it's not up there for me. A lot of interesting elements that I feel like are not fully executed well. Though I also read, their budget was cut and hence why some episodes just looked...cheap lol.

Not sure how I feel about the ending. I guess it's hard for me to like this show in general, because there was no character for me to root or like. Unless you count Pen-Pen.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Finished the series and also managed to watch the The Ending of Evangelion. All in all, it had its ups and downs. I can see why people who think of it as greatness, but it's not up there for me. A lot of interesting elements that I feel like are not fully executed well. Though I also read, their budget was cut and hence why some episodes just looked...cheap lol.

Not sure how I feel about the ending. I guess it's hard for me to like this show in general, because there was no character for me to root or like. Unless you count Pen-Pen.
which series was this?

looking for something to start over winter break, only one on my list so far is sword art

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Yeah TBO, it isn't for everyone. I love it though.

Would anyone be opposed to making this a general anime thread in addition to the original thread purpose?

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Would anyone be opposed to making this a general anime thread in addition to the original thread purpose?
Isn't it already? Nobody's giving good answers or even explaining why they would be a good fit for people who don't like typical anime.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
If you're referring to the fact that three or four people decided that they were going to derail the thread by arguing with/insulting me because they disliked what I had to say, I think the way I just phrased that speaks for how I feel that wasn't my fault. If you're actually asking why I say that, it's because almost every recommendation is "you should watch this because I liked it" and not "you should watch this because it's legitimately different from most anime/manga in a lot of ways", which was the point of the thread.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You could just buck up and let it go. God forbid people on an internet forum disagree with what you have to say, or with the way that you say it.

Other than that, I agree that the purpose of this thread has been somewhat skewed from its original intent.

Smooth Criminal

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
You brought it up again, I just responded. You're the one not letting go.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The title of the thread (well, what it WAS) is largely why I haven't been posting here because I had no idea what I'd tell people to watch in the anime/manga area if they don't like anime and manga. Almost remarked when I did post that this thread wasn't following its supposed purpose.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I'm fine, he's the one doing it. Really, he just said "u mad" in a slightly more intelligent manner.

And now that this is anime general, let's talk about dubs. Good dubs, bad dubs, dubs that climb on rocks.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The title of the thread (well, what it WAS) is largely why I haven't been posting here because I had no idea what I'd tell people to watch in the anime/manga area if they don't like anime and manga. Almost remarked when I did post that this thread wasn't following its supposed purpose.
Yeah. The dere thread is more for a specific fanbase/community, really. We needed an actual anime thread.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Best dub I've ever seen (in my native language) is Cromartie High School.

Worst is the Malaysian dub of DBZ (that's also in English).

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

So, yeah, dubs.

I tend to be pretty fair on them, I like a lot of what I've heard from Funimation.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I meant strictly in terms of voice acting, but yes. 4kids devastated One Piece so hard, but at least we still have our scans and translations.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well edits are always removed if you buy the uncuts, so that's not really a concern unless it becomes really lulzy (One Piece).

I just enjoy the fanboys that debate over who's music/Goku VA is better...Funimation's DBZ or the original Japanese.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I honestly think that Funimation's dub of KAI is the best in terms of everything but music, in which I prefer the original Funimation dub, and I hate the Japanese dub. Although, I'm not going to rage at others about it, especially since I probably feel that way just because I grew up with the English voices.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kai is definitely my favorite minus the music.

I remember earlier in the year, a friend of mine was watching an anime. Maybe you guys can help me out in identifying it, cause I have zero idea what it's called. All I can tell you is that it's a detective/mystery based anime starring a young girl, who is the detective/genius. She has a friend in a boy her age who she enjoys scolding I believe.

It sort of has a Victoria era vibe to it too.

Sadly, that's all I got x.x

Xyzz

Smash Champion
That's easily enough to identify it for anybody who watched it. The anime is called Gosick and I liked it a lot (:

Regarding dubs: The only one which didn't make me run away in horror was the one of the Haruhi anime. I think that one was actually just as good as the japanese original.

Also: Hello non ~deres! :) If there's stuff going on here as well now, I guess I'll stop by for tea and stuff :D

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ever since 'biribiri' was turned into 'bug zapper' via the magic of dubbing, i have since lost faith in any and all dubs

they're not that bad if you haven't already seen the original

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I think the main problem with dubs usually is that the voice actors aren't nearly as good as the ones in the original. I've got the same problem with watching films that would air on Germany TV... the people voicing the localized version just always sound like they don't care :(

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm watching the dub of xxxHolic at the moment...

I think the voice actor for Watanuki (the main character) is from freaking Invader ZIM.

Smooth Criminal

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've read about an effect of listening to Japanese dubs that since we don't understand what is being said and not entirely how it is being said our minds kind of input the emotions and interpretation so we find it to be really good, whereas a Japanese person listening to it in Japan is going to have an easier time of being critical of it because not as much is left to the imagination. Having trouble wording it but you can probably get the general gist of what I am saying.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eh, it all seems like the same 4 or 5 voices to me

Deep Male voice, deep female voice, feminine male voice, whiny female voice, and ...a regular guy voice I guess

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
I get it, heel. We can really only hear their delivery and emotion, so obviously that's what we'll be judging.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Eh, it all seems like the same 4 or 5 voices to me

Deep Male voice, deep female voice, feminine male voice, whiny female voice, and ...a regular guy voice I guess
Deep male voice? That guy's watching different anime than I do (ok, if I'm honest I'll have to admit that I do watch some things that are not cute slice-of-life stuff :D).
But imho there's certainly some voices that are easily recognized as being a specific seiyuu (Rie Kugimiya in her tsundere roles, Aoi Yuuki, Ayana Taketatsu, ...).

Top Bottom