• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Beard - General. Social. Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

Smash Master
My friend was living in Japan for the last year. When he got back last week, one of the first things he said to me was "I didn't get a chance to punch Sakurai in the face, sorry."

:034:

ul7r05

Smash Cadet
Well technically SSB series was intended for fun, not to be taken serious. I mean c'mon all of Nintendo's icons beating the crap out of each other? That sounds like fun to me, not serious. Of course, with any game most people tend to try and "show each other up," usually ending up in making it a competitive game. So, I don't know, take it as you will, but as a kid growing up, SSB was always a fun game, not serious and competitive. I'm sure Sakurai's intentions were the same in developing the game. It's an all-star bash out with all kinds of nostalgic items and remembrances of the past and present. It's meant for laughs and enjoyment. =D

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I bailed on SmashBrosForce Saturday to get to the Sauga tourney.

So not sorry. It was a valuable experience.

... ****, the games I lost were so disappointing though. I thought I could get one space farther in winners, one space farther in losers, and even beat one more guy in pools. (Was pooled with a Snake user who feared his Ganon matchup. Yeah.) . . . . But no. :(

Kalm, I utterly am not getting to Havoc. Unless God shows up on my doorstep, and has a car. But he's kind of a **** so I'm betting it won't happen.

You have to carry the torch man. Make sure you know how to beat people who suck, too. I'm sitting there watching roll spam and am like "seriously? Why can't I punish this."

I did get to test out some of the Badass names. Tombstone actually works. Pacemaker does not.
Nothing's as good as just Murder, though.

I would so punch MAsahiro in the face. I'd practice Japanese for "This is for Sumabra's game balance", and just punch him. I don't care what I'd be charged with.

TP

Smash Master
Well technically SSB series was intended for fun, not to be taken serious. I mean c'mon all of Nintendo's icons beating the crap out of each other? That sounds like fun to me, not serious. Of course, with any game most people tend to try and "show each other up," usually ending up in making it a competitive game. So, I don't know, take it as you will, but as a kid growing up, SSB was always a fun game, not serious and competitive. I'm sure Sakurai's intentions were the same in developing the game. It's an all-star bash out with all kinds of nostalgic items and remembrances of the past and present. It's meant for laughs and enjoyment. =D
There's nothing wrong with any of that. The problem is the Sakurai could, with little effort at all, create a game that works very well for casual fun AND for competition. Instead, he went out of his way to AVOID appeasing competitive gamers, just because he personally does not have a competitive mindset, which is inexcusable.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There's nothing wrong with any of that. The problem is the Sakurai could, with little effort at all, create a game that works very well for casual fun AND for competition. Instead, he went out of his way to AVOID appeasing competitive gamers, just because he personally does not have a competitive mindset, which is inexcusable.

Which is why the best way to give him the finger on this is to make it as competative as possible.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii

TP, runnin' us over with tha mutha f*ckin' truth train! (I'm replacing QFT...it'll catch on)

Yea, I've just really never gotten the whole "deliberately screw over the competitive fan base" mindset Sakurai had going on. Competitiveness doesn't screw over people's fun times. Take pretty much any game or sport in existence, they all have two distinct worlds, one is the competitive world, and the other is for casual play.

People that play tennis just with their friends to screw around don't go to serious tennis tournaments then b*tch about how the other player is using "cheap" tactics that ruin the fun of the game. At least, the organizers of the sport don't decide to try and completely ruin all the competitive aspects of the game to make a few people happy.

It just doesn't make sense to me to try and screw over a fan base that has arguably kept your previous creation alive for 8 years.

Smash Hero
Unless God shows up on my doorstep, and has a car. But he's kind of a **** so I'm betting it won't happen.
I loved everything about this line, hahaha

I wouldn't hit Sakurai. I'd shake his hand and say "Thank you for making SmaBura. I loved Melee/DX." I think that'd be clear enough.

ul7r05

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think Nintendo in general has kind of gone downhill as apposed for making games for the hardcore gamers/competitive gamers. As much as I would have loved Brawl to be more balanced competition wise, I just don't think they did that for this version. So, I guess all we can do is b**ch about it. ~shrugs~

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Can somebody list me a couple of Anime Series that are worth watching?
I'm currently watching Naruto & One Piece.
And I've already seen Berserk & Ninja Scroll.

Someone once told me to watch Basilisk.
Is it any good?

Smash Hero
Try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, two very popular and good anime.

stRIP

Smash Ace
Death Note is the #1 anime at the moment. Its 2 fkin good, but watch it with Subs, DUBS SUCK

Fate/Stay Night is also good. Elfenlied is worth watching too and if you search one more Main stream series like one piece or naruto watch bleach.

Bleach>One Piece>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Naruto from those mainstream **** every1 is watching

But Death Note>all

edit: forgot Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hellsing and higurashi no naku koro ni (and the going on parts from it)

TP

Smash Master
I HATE all anime... except a ****ing LOVE Yu Yu Hakusho. For me, it shows the full potential of the genre, and every other anime sucks.

What is another good anime for a person like me?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I HATE all anime... except a ****ing LOVE Yu Yu Hakusho. For me, it shows the full potential of the genre, and every other anime sucks.

What is another good anime for a person like me?

Well, that basically depends on what you like. I would recommend watching Air Gear, *******!!, Black Cat, Black God, Black Lagoon, Claymore, Code Geass, D.Gray-Man, Fist of The North Star, FLCL (Shame on you if you haven't seen it), Gantz, HunterXHunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, MAR, Ruroni Kenshin (again, shame), Shaman King, Slayers, Soul Eater, and To Aru Majutsu No Index.

And that's all of the ones that haven't already been said. And this goes for you too Ziggy.

EDIT: Ooh, and can't forget all the various Gundam series. Watch 'em all (except SEED. Ugh.), especially Wing and 00.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Higurashi no Naku koro ni.

The plot is a little confusing at the beginning and there's just a wee bit of violence, but it remains as one of the best series I've watched. Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is a pretty good comedy about a suicidally-inclined teacher, Soul Eater is a great Action/Adventure/Comedy... Hell, I'll make a list.

Higurashi no Naku koro ni
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Soul Eater
Birdy the Mighty Decode
I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs - Dubbed has horrible voice actors (no emotion =/)
Deathnote - Alright, but no rewatch ability imo.

This isn't to anyone in particular, just naming some off the top of my head. I'd name more, but the list would be flooded with romantic comedies...

:031:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I laughed so hard at this, I started bleeding.
Alright, so I didn't put THAT much emphasis into explaining this series...

TP, know anything about story/answer arc animes? If not, I won't spoil how confusing the plot will be for you and how much violence there will be.

TP

Smash Master
*******!!
Sounds great lol.

I haven't heard of any of the shows in either of your lists except for Deathnote and Ruroni Kenshin. I watched a couple episodes of Ruroni Kenshin and hated it. What I want is likable characters. All 7 main characters of Yu Yu Hakusho are really likable for one reason or another (well, not Koenma until season 3). I don't want characters who are emotionless and never crack jokes at the others.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Dammit censor! It's an anime called B.A.S.T.A.R.D!!...and it's awesome. Also, it's hard to say that you want likable characters if you've only watched a few episodes of any series. If they don't grab you right away, that may not be the fault of the seires.

Also, you fail forever for hating Ruroni Kenshin.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Higurashi, Soul Eater, and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei all feature likable characters. I can't keep watching a series unless I feel as if I'm PERSONALLY connected with the main character(s). Chobits, while a sci-fi romantic comedy that deals with the stigma of loving a robot, probably has offered me the closest connection with the cast.

Smash Hero
Gurren Lagann has 3-5 likeable/memorable characters, the rest is easily forgotten in the midst of manliness. Yes the robot is one of the characters d:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has a bunch of characters and it's up to you to like them or not. I can't see anyone taking a swipe at the main character Kyon though. Who doesn't love the good old sarcastic, grumpy anti-hero like persona?

stRIP

Smash Ace
dammit Censor! It's An Anime Called B.a.s.t.a.r.d!!...and It's Awesome. Also, It's Hard To Say That You Want Likable Characters If You've Only Watched A Few Episodes Of Any Series. If They Don't Grab You Right Away, That May Not Be The Fault Of The Seires.

Also, You Fail Forever For Hating Ruroni Kenshin.
Oh ****, Bast Ard Is 2 Good

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
One Piece, Bleach, Death Note, Code Geass, Vampire Knight, Full Metal Alchemist, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Witchblade, Elfin Lied, Negima, Samurai X:Rurouni Kenshin,Trust & Betrayal (OAV), D.Gray Man, Claymore, Afro Samurai, Gundam 00, and Dengeki Daisy, are all very good.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Love the title change.

On a side note, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei has an awesome soundtrack.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
eh only anime I ever got into was Pokemon (first season before it got ****ing old and most of the episodes resulted with Jigglypuff going bat**** insane drawing on everyone's face at the end)

and DragonBallZ, before they replaced the original voice actors. Just wasn't the same anymore. Notably Vegeta, who was my favorite character. **** I really hated his new voice. =/

stRIP

Smash Ace
eh only anime I ever got into was Pokemon (first season before it got ****ing old and most of the episodes resulted with Jigglypuff going bat**** insane drawing on everyone's face at the end)

and DragonBallZ, before they replaced the original voice actors. Just wasn't the same anymore. Notably Vegeta, who was my favorite character. **** I really hated his new voice. =/
ahahha, your vegeta part is remembering me on something

at the first part of Dragonball Z, where Vegeta and Nappa came on the earth, Vegeta had the german voice of Spongebob. Srsly !

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Avatar! Which really isn't anime. But at least it has a complete story that actually finished and it doesn't have 100+ episodes of random fights that exist for no reason. And at least it's not all gay and everything has to have an in-detail explanation for every action in-episode (I'm staring daggers down the throat of the non-original Pokemon right now).

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Avatar! Which really isn't anime. But at least it has a complete story that actually finished and it doesn't have 100+ episodes of random fights that exist for no reason. And at least it's not all gay and everything has to have an in-detail explanation for every action in-episode (I'm staring daggers down the throat of the non-original Pokemon right now).

I hope that you're only staring at Pokemon and not making blanket statements, and that you're using "gay" subjectively.

TP

Smash Master

Ewww... Avatar....

I tried watching an episode, but Avatar goes at like 4 frames per second. I turned away after 2 minutes, or 480 frames.

I can't stand laziness in anime.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I hope that you're only staring at Pokemon and not making blanket statements, and that you're using "gay" subjectively.

Gay as in stupid. And yes, just pokemon. Because the verb of the sentence (stare) applies to the direct object (pokemon, modified by non-original). So I'm not talking about EVERY anime series aside from the first season of pokemon, I mean pokemon except it's first season.

Meaning....

The non-original Pokemon seasons (especially these last couple with D+P, but it became more and more present over time) always have to have something gay (stupid, not homosexual [as you seem to be assuming], not happy) to say about every little action they do (like they'll stop to eat, and then they say out loud for no reason in their stupid voice, "Let's let the pokemon out so they can enjoy the beautiful weather!!!1!"). Brock especially always has to have an explanation for everything ("That was a smart move because x. It also does y yada yada yada and z yada yada yada" DUH, we just saw that!).

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Daum... I sure got a lot of stuff to check out now. Thx all.

I grew up watching "Starzinger" <3
("Spaceketeers" in America)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQxpoRT7Pc&feature=related

TP: I dunno how to find a Anime in your taste.
Maybe you should watch "Dicipline"? >_> lol

Salty: I'm glad you mentioned "Fist of the North Star". I love that Anime.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Sub-sub topic: Find an Anime with lovable characters for TP.

EDIT: Hmm... Judging by the Anime you showed us, TP, you should like "Cyborg 009"
(Not the newer version of it, though)

There are many lovable characters in Naruto. Kakashi for beeing plain awesome.
Lee+Guy for acting like they do.

And One Piece has many too.
One of them is Usopp. Everything from his design to his actions and behavior is just too hilarious. lol

TP

Smash Master
There are many lovable characters in Naruto.
Listening to Naruto's voice is about as fun as slamming my head into a wall repeatedly, so that's not gonna happen. (I only watch anime with English dubs. I know, it's supposedly always better to watch the original, but if I wanted to read something I'd get a book.)

I will try out Cyborg 009 tonight. If it doesn't work out, I'll try another one tomorrow.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Listening to Naruto's voice is about as fun as slamming my head into a wall repeatedly, so that's not gonna happen. (I only watch anime with English dubs. I know, it's supposedly always better to watch the original, but if I wanted to read something I'd get a book.)

I will try out Cyborg 009 tonight. If it doesn't work out, I'll try another one tomorrow.

Actually, Cyborg 009 isn't that good, really. It's moderate imo.
But it's somewhat like what you're describing, and it
follows most of the "Old school Anime Rules"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom