• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Beard - General. Social. Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Anti-ban. Metaknight is broken, yes, but he does not bend the rules of smash to bypass hit stun, DI, KOs, free movement, or other concepts familiar to smash game play.
There's something wrong with this argument....

MK does bend a rule. Just because he works within the mechanics doesn't mean he can't do something broken in them.

If his attacks really were so fast that they had no risk, he would be unbeatably good wouldn't he? If he had hitstun, but Melee hitstun while everyone else had Brawl hitstun, that would just be attention-grabbingly bizarre, wouldn't it?

Not only that, but we already have the fact of his attacks having transcendent priority - all of them - plus the special case of him being able to completely beat an air dodge on anyone without high air speed because his upair is so fast.

There's the fact of his up-special being ridiculously safe, his Tornado being ridiculously safe, and the nair having full functionality throughout its duration, even so much as to combo into its own weak hit, plus having KO power.

His moves have combinations of things other characters do, but combinations that on the very face of them are clear violations of what could be taken to be constants: Kill powered moves are risky or difficult or slow. Except MK has Dsmash. I didn't know it was frame 5.

I am also very moved by the claims just about his Dimensional Cape. It's true, it is tough to detect fractions of use in practice.

Lastly, the notion that MK is not unsafe off the stage carries a lot of weight. It carries as much weight as, independently, the need for something urgent about planking weighs. In Smash, for Smash to operate, it can be seen that offstage has to carry risk. The game is played onstage, where characters must return else they will lose a stock. Characters may threaten each other offstage, but only by giving the opportunity to be K.O.d. MK really does appear to beat this relationship. He flies over top of it.

The banning of walk-offs even failing chaingrabs tells a hint about the Received View of Smash.

My question is, what could possibly be found that would put him in his place? His abilities are not going to go away. Other chars have to come up with something that beats what he is. And, it is not like he has advanced, specialized matchup knowledge. What he is, is a character that is so fast, strong, and resilient that players can universally pick him up and perform better, shutting down good players in small localities,

I believe that a major blow could be dealt if the "all the people who flocked to MK put his metagame in hyperdrive" argument can be dismantled. If that happened, then it what sense are we not allowed to say "The game is NOT young, there is only so much more room left for growth"?

Yet through all this, there is still the claim that at the high level, there are people representing "not MK" and winning. So long as that is true. . . I cannot support a ban. Not unless it is decided that the utter swarming of mid-level competition that is occurring, matters. I think it does. But it's hard to support that position in a principled manner.

Whoever designed Meta Knight is a Smash genius. And he hates us.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I voted to ban him for lulz because I know it's not going to happen. Also, I was bribed.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

If a Zelda Movie were to be released (for real), which actor would you like to see play
Ganondorf's role?

I'm thinking Mickey Rourke.

And I'd want it to be a trilogy, like TLoTR.
A 1½ hour adventure would be crap.
I can't help it, whenever I think of a Live Action Ganon, I can't help but think of the one from There Will Be Brawl :laugh:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm super-special-awesome chocolately fudge-coated mega-ultra anti-ban. I find the notion of banning a character simply because he has a lot of tournament placings and doesn't have to worry about counterpicking ludicrous, and I sure hope that this community doesn't stoop down to the thousands of people who refuse to work toward beating him.
Lol at the abridged reference.

I'm also very anti-ban, mainly because I don't see the evidence to ban, and my blog specifically laid out the evidence needed to prove MK was banworthy.

Now we're doing this again without it, and banning him without cause is worse then not banning when there is cause.

Granted, I don't believe that if we ever do all this the evidence will show MK is ban-worthy, but I'm willing to be surprised.

That's also the reason why I'm against this thread, too soon.

Woo! Pro-ban has the "doesn't matter" votes!
Anti-ban has the "don't matter because I play melee" votes.

Pro-ban also the "only plays wifi therefore doesn't matter" votes.

Both have the "alternate account therefore doesn't matter" votes.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Sean Bean could work.
I like that idea.

Going off of looks, the guy who plays Sabretooth in X-Men Origins. He just needs to grow his hair out a bit more.

EDIT: Nah, Bean is way better suited for the job. He has the looks, and I know he isn't an absolute crap actor.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I was thinking Richard Kiel would make a good Ganon, but I think he's too old now. :/
I haven't seen that many movies with him. Is he a good actor in general?

¤¤¤¤¤¤

THIS:

Ron Perlman would be perfect!

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You guys are so flippin greedy, making me do all the work.

Go ahead and nominate yourselves.

Awards:

Best Green Ganon: Twilight Prince
Best Blue Ganon: IJosh
Best Red Ganon: stRIP
Best Dark Ganon: Ray Kalm
Best White Ganon: Koskinator
Best Regular Ganon: Zhouten
Best American Ganon: Jekyll
Best European Ganon: Z1gma
Best Canadian Ganon: Koskinator
Best Australian Ganon: Ant1
Most helpful Ganons: Jekyll
Most talented at Wi-Fi: Koskinator
Most used Ganon color(s): White,Dark
Least used Ganon color(s): Green
Best spiker(s): @Home, SmashBrosForce
Best grabber:
Picture provider: stRIP
Comedic relief Ganon: Everyone, Ganon's a ****ing joke.
Sack o' meat:
Combo Kings:
Manliest dorf: Clai
Best tipmaner: Koskinator
Best spotdodgers:
Best wizkickers:
Best at recovering:
Best Ganoncider:
Best techchaser: Koskinator
The Professor dorf: Z1gma
Best grammar-dorfs: PK-Ow, Swoops, Noobicidal
Worst Grammar-dorf: Koskinator
Best DI: Ray Kalm
Best guides: Swoops
Best newbie: SmashBrosForce
Flashiest Ganons: Ijosh
Most artistic Ganons: DAD, Z1gma
Untouchable (Best Spacing): Koskinator
Sir Spam-a-lot:
Most loved members:
Best Mindgames: Koskinator
Best buffer-dorf: Swoops, Ray Kalm, Ijosh
Rough language-dorf:
Best ledge-dorf: DAD
Most upsetting Ganon:
Best at chainchoking: Twilight Prince
Dash-dancer-dorf: Koskinator
Sack' O' FAir-dorf: Ant1
Normal:
White: Grampadorf
Blue: Smurfydorf
Red: Santadorf
Green: Ganjadorf
Dark: Meleedorf
Most awards earned: Koskinator

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
lol i think vin diesel should play ganon
or the rock
or arnold
OR LOL GANDALF
Both Ron Pearlman and the Rock are badass enough to do it. Also, Kurt Russell!

EDIT: Woo hoo, I wasn't even expecting best grammar-dorf! ...now it just puts all this pressure on my grammar skills. I'll have to work on auto-canceling my tenses.

Mask the Shadowlord

Smash Rookie
Awkward introduction.

Uhhh.. Hi, I'm Mask. Well, I just signed up for the board, went to the Meet & Greet, read the sticky about it closing. That's when I cursed and turned away from the screen. So I thought I might as well introduce myself somewhere. Tell me
if I'm in the wrong place. For now, I main Steeldorf, but I also like using Ike and ROB. Mask-out.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Uhhh.. Hi, I'm Mask. Well, I just signed up for the board, went to the Meet & Greet, read the sticky about it closing. That's when I cursed and turned away from the screen. So I thought I might as well introduce myself somewhere. Tell me
if I'm in the wrong place. For now, I main Steeldorf, but I also like using Ike and ROB. Mask-out.
Actually, this is the best place to introduce yourself assuming you're a Ganon main. Welcome to our dark corner of SWF and enjoy your stay.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Played some Ganon dittos against Zook today.

Wiz Kick spiked him.

Ironic because he's a mod, and I ****ing locked his 2nd stock thread.

Noobicidal

Smash Master

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
He's really not bad, very competent player, so you can expect he did a lot of things right.

We was at about 60%, second stock, I was at about 110%, 3 stocks. So it was worth the risk, it paid off, and I got the replay. Dina, go watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom