• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganonic Grimoire (Social) - Commiseration and Hierarchy

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
God does have a sense of humor.

Abrahams sons name was Issac.
In Hebrew, the name Issac means laughter.
God told Abraham that his sons name would be Issac, because Abrahams wife laughed when God said they'd have a kid.
And his wife was like 90.
So God was like "fine, he's laughter."

but the idea of God is no laughing matter, if that's what you meant.
:phone:
Didnt god command abraham to kill isaac? Thats a really twisted sense of humor...

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Ya, but as a sacrafice to God.
Back in them sacrafice days.
And Abe did it because it was a sign that he loves God more than his family.
Which is what we should all do.

But then an angel stopped Abraham and was like "bro chill, God knows you'd do it let your son live."

Musta been awkward around the house...

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
And Abe did it because it was a sign that he loves God more than his family.
Which is what we should all do.
This is probabyl about as much as you needed for the explanation, haha. But yeah. You could also get into God foreshadowing His sacrifice of His own Son, cuz it's always incredible and fun to link what you see in the Old Testament to what you see in the New Testament.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Yeah I love that.
The angel does say something like "you gave up your only begotten son through faith." iirc.

Turns out most ganons are Christians.
Lol

Yep! Genesis 22:2 and Genesis 22:12. The first is God speaking, the latter an angel.

I don't know about most...I think Verm mentioned something a while back? I can't tell if Exalted was just namesearching when he found the song or what...

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yep, I'm very much Christian. My faith is actually what started my love of the sciences, philosophy and math.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh that will make this post even more fun...

Ya, but as a sacrafice to God.
Back in them sacrafice days.
So timeless eternal God decided to go through a sacrifice phase then one day just decided "Bah, this actually goes against all my principles and kind of sucks, I guess we can do without it."? That makes sense.

Good **** DLA!

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
From day 1 God needed sacrifices, because the only way people gained salvation from sin was through sacrifice.

Not people, animals, money, veggies.

Things like that.

Then alllll the way up till when Jesus came, they did the same.
After Jesus died as the "ultimate sacrifice" then all we had have to do is accept Him as our savior and were good for life.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Give me a verse and I'll tell you why your wrong.
Find 1 verse that says "thou shalt abuse thy child."
that's not it at all.
The bible says "the most important rule is 'love the Lord your God with all your soul, all your strength, and all your might.' And the second is like it, 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Loving man is important, loving God is more so.
So, being able to give up man for God is lawful, yes, but Gods not going to require you beat or kill anyone in this age.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The bible tells you to beat your children.
Well, if you don't look far into it to find a reason, the entire Bible'll obviously look horrible lol. It says in Proverbs 13:24: He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

What it says is to discipline your child--if a child is allowed to do as he she wishes, they scarcely develop discipline. Given the way society is now, with dual-standards of political correctness and freedom, a lot of invaluable lessons the Bible teaches are seen as capricious acts of self-flagellation, when in reality they have a clear purpose. Morality isn't always a binary function--sometimes it's about necessity. E.g. Hiroshima--an abhorrent, but as it was seen, necessary course of action.

A lot of the very passages people cite to denigrate the Bible are the reasons why I lost my own faith for the longest time. I studied philosophy and learned more about morality, necessity, contingency and as I did, it made more sense. Another famous one is from Leviticus where it's stated same-sex relations are an abomination. Without an understanding of necessity and implicature, this passage turned into an a monumental anti-gay movement. With appropriate understanding though, one can see that something innocuous like eating shellfish is an abomination--unclean. Would anyone argue that without the presence of hygienic technology that that'd be a distinctly unclean practice?

Christianity bothers a lot of people because it grinds against their views in a hard way since it's so often taken out of context or applied to a contemporary setting where such moral necessities may not be necessary in the presence of luxuries and technology, but are still a substratum.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Ill repost this stuff but whole new video

just for people think im trolling with everything i say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTXamHIbgvo

Warlock Punch is working against Squirtle, like a said before ;)
This has been known since 08... I actually landed this in tournament once haha.

Also two things:

Proverbs 23:13 - Do not withhold punishment from your child; for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Also... I found out yesterday that the elusive Michael Hey is at genesis... Ill try to record a money match with him for you guys.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
This has been known since 08... I actually landed this in tournament once haha.

Also two things:

Proverbs 23:13 - Do not withhold punishment from your child; for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Also... I found out yesterday that the elusive Michael Hey is at genesis... Ill try to record a money match with him for you guys.

Guessing that was directed at G&W since that's the passage I cited, too lol. Read above though if you didn't read mine.

As for Michael Hey, that should be interesting. The big hype about him is apparently that he was ranked in NorCal as Ganon back in '09 or something.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Out of context.
13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die.
14 If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.

Sheol is Hebrew for Satan I believe.

It is better to be disciplined once so you learn what is wrong, as opposed to thinking all is right and being doomed to Satan, and hell.

Nows here's the thing, with the new covenant (Jesus dieng for our sins, so we can come to salvation through belief and faith in Him) we are faced with just that.

It's not even nessicary to discipline your kids, because sin doesn't doom you to hell.
Salvation is now achieved through faith that Jesus Christ is the messiah.

Now it's still good to discipline your kids, for their own saftey.
It's better to spank your kid than let him smoke pot in your room.
I'd hit a 16 your old kid of mine of he did drugs, hitting him won't kill him, drugs will.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'd hit a 16 your old kid of mine of he did drugs, hitting him won't kill him, drugs will.
Now, I'll turn a blind eye to all the deep fairy tale and folklore talk, but the thought of marijuana killing someone just makes me want to question your upbringing and wonder how sheltered the modern youth is these days.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Now, I'll turn a blind eye to all the deep fairy tale and folklore talk, but the thought of marijuana killing someone just makes me want to question your upbringing and wonder how sheltered the modern youth is these days.
the man said drugs in general, not marijuana XD
i get where hes coming from. but its impossible to fully shelter your offspring. id tell them they can go ahead, but if they get in ****, theres nothing i can do to help

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I used pot as an example in the previous sentence.
In the latter, the one you quoted, I said drugs.
Could be speed, ice, coke, who knows?

Even if not eventually killing you, it takes over your life.
Your addicted, go to jail, give everything you have to get high.
It consumes you, and eats you alive.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
eh, i disagree at that point
some can do, but not all.
ive never taken drugs in my life, ive had many oppurtunities to, but i choose not to, i like being in total control (other than over my typo's) but it dosnt take over, its jsut like cigs in a sense

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I think of the difference between physical beatings and child abuse in the same way I think of the difference between moderate drinking and drunkenness. The former in both cases can be/is healthy, whereas the latter is vile and corrupt. http://www.gotquestions.org/spare-rod-spoil-child.html

@Shellfish and Homosexuality: http://www.gotquestions.org/God-hates-shrimp.html

@ God changing his mind on sacrifice: Sacrifice has always been needed to atone for sin. Even now. The difference is that before Christ, their sacrifices were imperfect. When Christ came, that ended the need for animal sacrifices. God's plan was always to save the world through Jesus.

Now...I vote that we move on before this thread devolves into mindless debates and name-calling.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I typed out a whole big thing, then realized I'm doing this thing again where I get in a big pointless religious debate that serves no purpose. Nobody will change their mind, and if by chance I do get someone to see my way, then hooray, I just destroyed a person's faith... so yeah... Instead:

I used pot as an example in the previous sentence.
In the latter, the one you quoted, I said drugs.
Could be speed, ice, coke, who knows?

Even if not eventually killing you, it takes over your life.
Your addicted, go to jail, give everything you have to get high.
It consumes you, and eats you alive.

Have you ever done drugs sir?
I mean, it can, yes. It will? The likeliness increases the harder the drug, but in all reality, not necessarily and for most people, it doesn't. Most people have at least tried a drug at some point. Guess what, most of them didn't give their lives to it.
HOWEVER, it is very possible to get hooked, and in fact really easy, which is the draw. The weak get hooked. The ones who can't deal with reality take the easy out which is drug addiction, and it is a truly sad thing to witness.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't encourage my kid to take drugs either, but honestly, that's kind of a lesson they have to learn on their own. Raise them against drugs, but if you go to the point where you're willing to beat them for it, you're probably going to drive them straight to it. The only time I would take serious action would be if I see my kid losing himself to the stuff. If I were to say, find a dime-bag in my kid's room though? Yeah, we'd have a pretty serious talk about it, and it would probably get confiscated, but that's nothing debilitating, so that would be that.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm agnostic. This is mostly because...

My Dad's Roman Catholic.
My Mum's neo-Pagan, specifically Wiccan.

If I follow my Dad's beliefs, I'm damned to hell simply because I'm bi.
My Mum's belief system is one large WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

And that's all I'm familiar with, thus I'm agnostic.

Bloodynite

Smash Ace
seriously? religion guys? come on keep that stuff private..... it should be common knowledge that if you talk about religion openly to anyone who has access there's bound to be bashing and trashing

so lets just change the subject to something else shall we?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Why?

We seem to be having a rather good discussion, and one of the people involved is a moderator who can infract people who try and ruin said discussion with "bashing and trashing".

I see no problem here.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
same
plus i have no real problem with religion in any sense
just dont try and shove it down my throat

i mean, christianity saved my aunt from schizophrenia. if it can do things like that, then people can follow whatever they wish

Top Bottom