• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganonic Grimoire (Social) - Commiseration and Hierarchy

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
In general we just need to believe there is something more than ourselves.

The way I look at it is religion asks us to believe a god or gods appeared from nothing and created the universe.
Science asks us to believe that the universe came from nothing, or perhaps is part of a multiverse, in which case the multiverse came from nothing.
Science and religion, when you spend time thinking about it, are equally bizarre.

Just sort of a random train of thoughts I just had.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
personally i find science to be more believable. however there is the big bang theory, which is such major horse**** i cant agree with that

i think its safe to say that untill scientists find a true reason for the big bang, it just wont be fully believable

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I agree, actually. Science is often far more believable.

But then you actually think about how all these different things in the universe just fit together... And it seems a little more than coincidence.

The thing about the very existence of the universe is that our universe cannot possibly exist, because everything has to come from somewhere, yet it does. No amount of science can possibly explain existence itself. If it ever somehow does, I will be extremely impressed.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I believe whatever happens, happens. If we live, and there is an afterlife - be it heaven or hell - then we win; personally, I'd prefer going to hell or wandering the world as a haunting spectre than to cease to exist after death.

If we die, and that's the end of our conciousness and existence, then we wouldn't really have to worry or sulk about it after death, since we'd be dead and thus couldn't worry about anything in general. No matter how you look at it, we have naught to worry about after death. I suppose it's that unkown factor of what happens to us after dying that gives all creatures the natural fear of "The Great Equalizer".

That said, here's an interesting thing to note: we are composed of energy; it's what fuels our bodies and lets us live. Without energy (produced by food, water, etc.), our bodies become empty husks doomed to decomposition. If there is one constant truth, it's that energy cannot be created or destroyed; it merely changes and moves on to something else. So when we die, our energy isn't lost, but is used for, say, the earth and vegetation, etc.. In that sense, I suppose there's somewhat of a reincarnation thing going with that, though not in the same manner we're used to seeing it. I've been thinking of this matter for a while and thought it was worth noting. So the next time you turn on your lamp, who knows? Maybe energy that was once a person from a time long ago may be powering the lightbulb... until you turn it off.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Personally, I don't believe there is a god. I do believe, however, that there is something above our existence, just not with a consciousness, like some religions describe it. I don't have a religion but I've learned about various beliefs and think some of them are really good. After that I had my own conclusion and personal belief in live.

Science seems more believable, yes, but it can't explain everything as the universe is vast, there will always be hidden corners of secrets. Religion, philosophy or our personal beliefs will explain things that science can't.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
One stereotype I don't like is that science and religion are mutually exclusive. In fact, I discarded my faith at one point because I couldn't rationalize it. Science and philosophy are what gave it back to me. I don't want to get too jargon-heavy, but for anyone interested in relevant topics (be warned, they're VERY involved) look up/read about relativity, thermodynamic time asymmetry, set theory, categories, second-order logic, complex systems and quantum field theory for starters. All topics that I approach my faith from and an interesting couple of reads for a different perspective. A lot of these studies are terrific because they're largely counter-intuitive, and can quickly correct skewed conceptions of certain subjects.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
you have to be one hell of an accepting person to be able to run off both together

this is probably why most sucessful scientists were also religious

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
you have to be one hell of an accepting person to be able to run off both together

this is probably why most sucessful scientists were also religious
The logic that many of those scientists used was that of: "If God created everything, and is the source of everything-sin excluded (by definition)-then the universe must follow a logical set of laws." And then they set out to find them. Which flies in the face of many nay-sayers who believe that if religion and science mix, then the advancement of humans will cease because of a "Oh, God just did it" mentality.

For Newton, part of it was also: "Well, the Catholic Church twisted and distorted Christianity...I wonder what else they screwed up?" ...which also ended up with him rejecting the concept of the Trinity.

Edit: However, there are times when the scientific community (not necessarily science, as it's simply a tool to be used) is definitely at odds with religion. For example, the Bible's account of creation and man's account of evolution. The former says that the earth came before the sun, that water was on the earth before land, that light came before the sun, that birds came before land animals, that all of creation was created in maturity, that death is a perversion of nature. The latter says the opposite.

I guess my point with the above is that science itself is a neutral tool that does not have to be in conflict with religion...but depending on who uses it, it most certainly can be.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
and seeing as science vs religion is always used for causing rage, everyone seems to think the two are permanent enimies -__-

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
That's not quote 100%, Burg. On the 5th day, the Hebrew word "Nephesh" is used, which basically refers to all higher animals is mentioned on the 5th day, so their chronological emergence in Genesis is ambiguous. On the 6th day is when it mentions animals like cattle and livestock, but land creatures aren't exclusive to just them.

Anyway, the problem with science and religion is that religion is phenomenological and science is empirical. From here, everything depends on your worldviews and beliefs of how far our senses can take us. From a neutral standpoint, rationalism and positivism are equally absurd, because one presumes all can be known through sensory modes, which is unverifiable, and one presumes that human perception is limited and its method of acquisition of knowledge is inherently flawed, which means we just have to work with what we're given using a priori reasoning to arrive at unverified answers.

I view the universe as a computer--a complex, dynamical system. In my experience and through my studies of complex systems, I've arrived at the conclusion that it's perfectly within reason that God exists as one immutable entity from which all else emanates endogenously. A good visual is to picture concentric circles, wherein God is the outermost circle. Given the boundaries of which we observe in a given world, things can appear either finite or infinite--it's subject to both percipient and perspective. Outside of a given world, inaccessible either physically or metaphysically, there could be infinitely many other worlds ad infinitum, which suggests that it is by no means logically offensive to presume the existence of God.

There'll never be a bridge between Theism and Atheism though. That which exists in logical space is eternally condemned to divorce from absolution, which is the fundamental difference between the Atheism and Theism.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
That's not quote 100%, Burg. On the 5th day, the Hebrew word "Nephesh" is used, which basically refers to all higher animals is mentioned on the 5th day, so their chronological emergence in Genesis is ambiguous. On the 6th day is when it mentions animals like cattle and livestock, but land creatures aren't exclusive to just them.
I'm a bit confused on which word "nephesh" was translated into on the fifth day. Could you point it out to me?

I agree with you on the land animals part, but it is also mentioned that wild land animals were created then too. But you're right. The same kind of difference between the plants of the field that are mentioned in Genesis 2, and plants in general which are mentioned in Genesis 1.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm a bit confused on which word "nephesh" was translated into on the fifth day. Could you point it out to me?

I agree with you on the land animals part, but it is also mentioned that wild land animals were created then too. But you're right. The same kind of difference between the plants of the field that are mentioned in Genesis 2, and plants in general which are mentioned in Genesis 1.
Nephesh translates into "living creature."

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I finally have alot of the basic aT's of ganon down, such as banana choking, salmon smash, flight of ganon. Bbut my lights i can only do consistently from Wizkick, i can't do the one from airodge yet.

*keeps practicing*

oh and i got my Dair-tipman combos.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Those were really good matches. I laughed so hard when Praxis was getting ready to pull this sick-*** gimp with a turnip > BAir on FD, but the Ganon-snuggle was too much for him and he missed the tech. The tipman fight on Lylat was funny as hell too.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah peach's air dodge is so awful that if she misses that tech, she's not going to recover no matter what she does lol.

Anyways, for a full rundown of how I did at genesis....

in first round pools I 2-0'd Browny, a Lucario main from Australia. That's actually pretty much my only notable win with Ganon in pools, everyone else I beat was pretty scrubby. Browny was good, I'm not sure how well he knew the matchup though since he went Sonic game 2. I'm assuming he never fought the ____DORF guys from Australia or else I would have been hopelessly crushed (obviously).

I fought Poltergust in round 2 pools... I wasn't in the mood to deal with the Yoshi/Ganon MU so I went falco game 1, I think he 2 stocked me cuz I SD'd. So I say fk it and go Ganon game 2... and I'll let you guys find out what happens for the rest of the set because hopefully the replays will be on youtube soon.

Let's see... $MMs... I really didn't challenge any bad players to $MMs at this tournament... in fact all of the players I challenged made it to bracket, which means they're obviously quite good.

My most notable $MM was probably against FOW... I challenged him to a $5 MM. I beat his Ness solidly game 1... and then he counterpicked MK against me lol. "You never specified which character I had to use" was his reasoning apparently. I mean I didn't argue with him since he wasn't wrong... I kinda just assumed he'd stay Ness. But yeah I lost the next two games against his MK. The wii didn't have infinite replay so it wasn't recorded.

I also spent quite a bit of time with Michael Hey... he's a very cool guy, easily one of the most knowledgeable players I've ever met. He was very humble about his Ganondorf and said that his Ganon sucked and didn't want to $MM me in the ditto, so I had to lose a $MM to his DDD first to convince him to agree to $MM my Ganon lol (a DDD who knows the Ganon matchup was well as Michael Hey does = bad news for the opposing ganon). So I finally $MM'd him in the ditto and I won game 3 last hit. He was a lot better than he said he was lol. Sadly it wasn't recorded either though.

I lost some other $MMs that I don't remember/ am too lazy to list.

I went MK for the majority of doubles, but I did use Ganon to beat some decent teams such as Jamntoast(ROB)/Rai (Marth) from washington. Basically I used Ganon if there wasn't an MK on the opposing team (there usually was).

Hmm what else... I spent a lot of time with a Japanese falco named Filip... he was a fantastic player and spoke pretty good English. He was in my hotel room for the first night so we became buds. His falco was beating my Ganon the majority of the time, but it was usually close... and I was beating his other characters like Snake most of the time. Hopefully I can get some hype in Japan now because he really liked my Ganon haha. He was telling me about two Japanese Ganons... one I'm pretty sure most of you know is Dio, he's probably the best Ganon over there right now. There's another Ganon that both Filip and Michael Hey mentioned named Ii (that's two i's, pronounced "ee")... apparently he was freakishly good at the game and regularly 3 stocked players such as Rain using Ganondorf... but unfortunately he quit Brawl and plays Melee instead.

Alright anyways I'm tired and I'm gonna go to bed soon... ask questions if you're curious about anything... I should have more videos up soon. I didn't record a lot of matches unfortunately.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
so I came on here to post about how **** it was to meet DLA at genesis but then I find this super serious discussion on religion, thermodynamic time asymmetry, and science vs faith connections.

To an extent I'm somewhat glad that Ganondorf is a bad character and not as good as metaknight so that the rest of the boards aren't nearly as absurdly complicated and philosophically deep.

I swear if someone copied and pasted all the arguments made on here into a book it'd sell.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I swear if someone copied and pasted all the arguments made on here into a book it'd sell.
But everyone's just recycling the same garbage that most scholars have been using for the last fifty years.

You're right; it'd sell millions.

Guys im doing ALOT of MM's vs my ganon this weekend.

I have v Kirby.
One v snake
and a ganon ditto.

any tips?
Don't lose.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
not ganon, oddly enough, ganon is immune to all of his own choke stuff, its quite odd really XD
use that tiny bit of knowledge to your advantage, if they try and jab you from choke, getup attack

also, im in the process of compiling my own ganon money matches for this weekend

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Those were really good matches. I laughed so hard when Praxis was getting ready to pull this sick-*** gimp with a turnip > BAir on FD, but the Ganon-snuggle was too much for him and he missed the tech. The tipman fight on Lylat was funny as hell too.

^^my face when I missed the tech

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
There's another Ganon that both Filip and Michael Hey mentioned named Ii (that's two i's, pronounced "ee")... apparently he was freakishly good at the game and regularly 3 stocked players such as Rain using Ganondorf... but unfortunately he quit Brawl and plays Melee instead.
Ii is on youtube. The word ii means 'good', 'alright', or 'acceptable'. Or "fine." If the right words are put with it, it effectively means 'acceptable', like telling someone "Leave it at that, okay?" or "It's fine as it is."

It would be like if I just went with the tag "Good." Lol.

So, my wifi still won't hook up with my network.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Speaking of videos, I finally found two I've been looking for. One is from late last year in a MM, and the other is from two weeks ago in a MM. Both are MKs from New Jersey. I'll put them up on GanonTube.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Is there someone i can send my replays to, in order to get it on Ganontube?
Or should i upload it serperately because i'm not a true ganon :-\

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
How do i become a true :ganondorf:?
I'm defintely entering doubles, and have 4 MM's vs my ganon this weekend.

I'll prove myself when i get top 3 in doubles.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
got top 3 at a LT with ganon, thought it were pretty good

also im teaming with supreme dirt at apex
double ganon! and IDGAF

Top Bottom