• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon vs.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
taking the fact the best characters in melee, marth, fox, falco, puff, shiek, are all lighter characters for the most part, all trades are favorable for ganon, unless you trade with like a shiek slap or falco dair offstage.

but with jiggz especially, trading hits should should always be a main priority.

think about it like this, if ganon and jpuff trade bairs 5 times, what happens? ganon has like 50-60% and puff is probably dead...

Cia

das kwl
The tilts and jabs puts Jiggs in the same situation you get put in if you try to jump in. Jiggs being so light a trade at early mid percents is more favorable for you than you'd think. Any Ganon complaining about being shut down by Jiggs either doesn't use this or is scared to trade. Fighting Jiggs in your shield is 100% not my thing. You'll get worked.

Vanz when am I getting sheik, peach, jiggs training?
Really good advice. And we'll get some matches in next time WK throws a smashfest.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Probably Ganon's most agile aerial opponent. Trading hits is always a plus but with Jigg's awesome aerial control and ranged bairs it is tough to get that trade. Even though I myself consider this match up borderline even there are some do's and don't in this match up that if neglected will make the match feel far from it.

Ganon
+Mobility
+Power
+Range
+Weight
+/Evasive tactics
-/Speed
-/Edge guarding
-/Lag
-Air mobility
-Recovery

Jigglypuff
+Air mobility
+Recovery
+Edge guarding
+/Lag
+/Evasive tactics
+/Speed
-/Range
-Mobility
-Power
-Weight

Ganon
*Properly placed uairs can hit in an angle good for an anti WoP.
*Dtilt and ftilt help maintain space between Jigglypuff and Ganon.
*Pivoting Fsmashes are a great counter for a whiffed pound.
*Pivoting Ftilts can be great for retaliating against shortly retreated bairs.
*Down throw to fair lands on Jiggs at %40+ percent.
*Dthrow to upsmash can KO at early percents if not DI'ed.

Jigglypuff

*WoP can combo Ganon 4-5 hits off the stage.
*Utilt/uair + rest can equal a deadly combo that Ganon isn't immune to (bair to uair is an other dangerous rest set up).
*Jigglypuff can crouch out of Ganons grab range.
*Jigglypuff can rest you at the end of your down b if they predict it.
*Jigglypuff grabs the ledge while you're recovering forcing you to land on the stage also leads to a free rest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I hit on specific strategies in this match know that the aerial and ground fighting are very different but have common advantages for both players. In the air the player who has their back turned and is higher in the air has priority over the other players character. On the ground who ever holds onto the spacing of their tilts and grabs gains advantage on the ground. With that in mind a lot of your game is just getting that favorable spacing and keeping it. There are three pivotal aspects that will determine how much pressure you could put on Jiggs.

Countering Jiggs on a jump or aerial is something that needs to be implemented into the match to gain early percents and give you presence when you're on the ground. Using moves like angle up ftilt, jabs, or even uairs are great for trading or intercepting an aerial from Jiggs while on the ground. Not doing this will result in you getting crossed over and guessing when your jumps and aerial attacks won't get countered themselves. Once Jiggs becomes accustomed to this they won't be as aggressive which will insight more aerial combat.

Aerial combat is simple, bairs are both of your best pokes but Ganon can use reverse uairs to fight and beat out bairs if he is higher than Jiggs in the air. Fair is also a great poke from Jiggs but it's important not to get over zealous and hurry to throw fairs of your own out. the punch is great but you gotta pick em out when you think it'll hit and not bluff with it much.

Spacing your ground moves and aerials. This is very important and is a nice reason to play Jiggs to teach you overall spacing because you need to space your tilts and aerials to their fullest extent without being inaccurate. Too close and Jiggs will cross you up and duck your jabs, grabs and ftilts. Fight too spaced and you lose your influence in the match. Spacing determines how relevant you are in the match.

The rest is basic and becomes a result in who has been keeping their spacing best.

This is kinda odd in this match and doesn't present itself unless Jiggs is at stage height. Angle down ftilts are nice along with reverse uair. Unless you think you can successfully edge guard Jiggs then those tools are probably best versus a pound recovery but if you think it will just lead to whiffs and a easy recovery landing a bair or two to get damage instead is a nice substitute for those low percent edge guards. Getting edge guarded isn't so bad as long as you DI away from combos and bring the fight under the stage. Tech bair on Jiggs' dsmash is a great tool and merits a free recovery when succesful.

#1 Do NOT DI up during a bair combo off stage. You're gonna have to DI away when you can to avoid a massive combo.
#2 Do NOT dthrow fait and put Ganon over Jiggs' hitbox. Space the punch or Jiggs will be able to rest you.
#3 Do NOT grab, jab or straight ftilt a crouching Jiggs.

Ganon's favor
Yoshi story
Battle field
Fountain of dreams

Jiggs' favor
Pokemon stadium
Dreamland

Toss up
Final destination
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it feels kinda redundant let me know. There are just some details I wanted to be made clear. Anything I may have forgot toss me a heads up. I know this thread has been discussing this while I slacked on it so excuse me if I have you guys repeating yourselves.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Just throwing this out there I wouldn't take jiggs to any of the CP stages, save maybe green greens, but she can kill you just as easily there as you can her. The low ceiling is the only plus for ganon that she doesnt benefit from on that stage. I would assume her camp game is strong there though. Brinstar is a definite no imo, i'm impartial on corneria, rainbow cruise could work but she'd have the definite advantage on being mobile there, you'd have to get in the right hits in the right directions as the stage is sometimes really close to the blast zones / ceiling. All in all though I'd stick with CPing neutrals unless you know what you're doing.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Just throwing this out there I wouldn't take jiggs to any of the CP stages, save maybe green greens, but she can kill you just as easily there as you can her. The low ceiling is the only plus for ganon that she doesnt benefit from on that stage. I would assume her camp game is strong there though. Brinstar is a definite no imo, i'm impartial on corneria, rainbow cruise could work but she'd have the definite advantage on being mobile there, you'd have to get in the right hits in the right directions as the stage is sometimes really close to the blast zones / ceiling. All in all though I'd stick with CPing neutrals unless you know what you're doing.
You know I was going to CP Green Greens and someone told me that the level wasn't a counter pick.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I guess. Angle down ftilt is amazing at intercepting wavedashes. It's what the angle up ftilt is to C.Falcon's shff approach.
I don't mind the ICs actually. I've found that between spacing FAirs you can actually catch the ICs out of the wave shielding with the tilt your talking about Tommy. It's good stuff, and also double aerials can **** ICs if you mindgame them when they try to grab you.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
As long as you don't flub your l-cancel on their double shields, fair is really nice to keep the space between you two. It'll push them back and if you L-cancel and space well enough you can guard yourself with a jab or ftilt. Dairs to punish any shield grab on their part are excellent, if they DI the dair (i think you can only control popo's DI) then an upsmash or uair will send them either separate ways or just push them further away from each other, which gives you a good advantage.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
DK... don't get grabbed, if you do, DI a lot and don't squander your second jump. To kill him, hit him off the stage and just uair till you can safely dair him (preferrably before he's close enough to tech on the stage). Edge hogging is great on DK after an uair too, if you can. Watch out for his tilts, that's all that comes to mind. Trading a bair with his up-b isn't too recommended because it'll hit him up, making it easier for him to recover, where an uair will hit him down and away, sorta ruining any attempt at making it back.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Pretty sure he gets a guaranteed uair, i meant you need to DI the uairs really well and not let him take your second jump with one, it'll be the difference between getting hit by 1-2 uairs instead of 3-5

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont think it matters, i think you can just pick a side either behind or in front of him, and just mash the controller in that direction to get away. preferably youd probably want to DI toward the closest edge.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Up and down doesn't matter, it's always perpendicular to the original trajectory.

Speaking of DI, is it counter-intuitive to DI the early part of DK's fair? The angle seems similar to Doc's fair.

I'm not positive about the angle of DK's fair though, DK's don't exist around me.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Oh well, I was a bit unclear.

I stated that up and down DI was not possible particular to DK's Up-air.

I just believed that DI along a trajectory was not possible, correct me if I was wrong however.

spider_sense

Smash Champion

kupo15

Smash Hero
I just wanted to comment on an interesting sheik edge guarding tactic that I found quite help when I was playing last night that I didn't see mentioned.

When she is recovering from horziontal or even slightly below, I found that jumping out with a Bair is a great strategy. The Bair is very disjointed and can force an up b in which case the Bair would miss. But if spaced correctly, you should be able to DJ sweet spot the ledge before she is able to grab it.

It works best if her DJ is already used up.

If this was already brought up and disputed, then sorry.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
oh yeah, i've wanted to say that i've found that lightsheld edgehogs are useful for a multitude of characters

marth - obvious his up B has one hit, if he gets back, then ledgehop bair. thats just routine
roy - i lightshield edghehogged one today as if he was marth. since his has multiple hits it's not as consistent
mario - similar story. multiple hits make it less useful. also, gives a safe edgehog for marios who like to shoot fireballs.
dr mario - same as mario with pills
luigi - guards against fireballs, and if they try to side b recover to the stage, you don't have to fear the misfire; they'll go a normal distance where you can retaliate from the edge, i believe.
peach - many peaches toss turnips if they have them when they're off the edge. if you catch them off guard, you can get the edgehog when they think they'll just hit you with a turnip.
shiek - safe edgehog against needles

i think thats about it that i recall. i saw that if fox/falco side b's into the lightshield, you can edgehog, but it doesn't work if they were going to hit the edge (the hitbox isn't big enough), so basically, its useless against spacies.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
If the Doc is coming from on top, if you don't want to just Bair through his pills to hit him, you can light shield and then Uair as soon as you get hit out of your shield. This is only viable because the Doc will feel safe since your shield is up.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
RIP, that's usually good if he only has time to throw 1 pill. Sometimes Doc is coming back with 2-3 pills so it's a little tricky. Bair is great at eating through pills normally, but in this case I usually like reverse uair, to me it is a tad less situational and usually does a better job of nullifying pills AND setting up Doc for the edgehog KO.

Lightshield edgehog still ***** though, since the first pill will put you on the ledge and you can infinite stall past the other pills. If Doc has already used his down B at this point, just invincible ledgedrop uair him before he (or as he) up-B's. If he hasn't used his down B, be ready for it. He'll most likely down-B to force you off the ledge so that he can up-B and make it back. I usually wait for the down-b and ledgedrop uair him as soon as he starts to fall from it (unless you know you can edgehog his up-b afterward). Also, you can usually time your next ledgehop so that you'll be invincible in the event that he up-B's immediately.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Could I have some clarification on the specifics of the light shield edge hog? Lately I've done the whole:

Roll to the edge while holding Z
Angle your shield Down and towards the edge

But I haven't rolled onto the ledge against marth. Am I doing something wrong or is the hitbox just not hitting the right part of my shield?

I also have a question about light shielding the pills. Isn't it supposed to work against marth because the up b hits behind the shield (or in this case, the front since your backfacing) which causes you to roll on the edge? Wouldn't the pills always hit the front of the shield so how does that work?

Also, does bair rip through needle recovery?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just hold Z and out (away from the edge) as you roll to the edge. This will cause you do fall to the ledge when you are hit, since the shield ASDI wants to push you out (the direction you're holding) but there's nowhere to go but the ledge.

Pills will also cause you to fall to the ledge using this method because it is shield ASDI that is the mechanism behind the lightshield edgehog and not the spacing of the incoming attack.

Do you mean using bair to nullify sheik's dj needles as she is recovering? That CAN work, if you space the bair well enough, since it's priority at the tip of Ganon's fist is so massive. Personally I'd just lightshield edgehog the needles, as being on the ledge is a great place to be when sheik is recovering.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
VS MARTH

so i got really bored again guys

First and foremost, the best way to avoid a combo is... that's right, don't get hit in the first place. However when playing as ganon, that's not exactly easy, not to mention in certain match ups a part of his early percent game is to potentially take a hit and counter back. Obvious part is obvious though, let's get to what I wanted to talk about.

Marth is a very nerve wracking character to play against when you don't have much experience against a tourney solid one. His speed, range, and stage control can be very intimidating. A few things to remember, ganon has the tiniest bit of longer range, just enough speed to use that range effectively, and can become an impregnable wall of high percent hit boxes.

When I first entered the tournament scene I, unquestionably, would get four stocked by marth's who were.. let's say, basic. What I mean by basic is, they knew a few tricks, some traps, but didn't have any solid spacing, didn't have any originality, and simply abused range, speed, and my excessive lack of DI/survival habits.

What I'm trying to say is, they four stocked me because I gave it to them on a silver platter. The very first thing I learned about marth is that, there are some things you just can not ever do against one, or you're stock vanishes. A few examples, being down thrown towards the edge, but just barely shy of being able to DI off and grab the ledge. In this position, marth effectively has a check mate. If you tech in place miss a tech, or tech roll into the edge, tipped fsmash, downtilt, whatever, if you tech into him, regrab, same scenario.

Second example, grabbed and thrown off the edge. From this spot, you don't jump. It's just that simple, but then what? All he has to do is edgeguard, or hog, you.

I hope you're all with me on what I mean by marth traps now, being put in a situation where marth can, usually based simply on reaction, continue to at least keep whatever advantage he has on you, if not being able to take even more.

Now this is where stage control comes heavily into play. It's very important to know the certain spots on each map where marth essentially has one of those, if I grab you or hit you from this spot, I can follow up guaranteed and take a stock, or force you off the stage. Such examples, marth under platform ganon on platform, utilts all day into some aerial tip combo. Being hit onto a platform and forced into a tech -> get tip fsmashed. Etc.

Once you know these spots, you can avoid getting caught into them. This doesn't mean you can't ever be at one of these spots, more that you don't want to be committed to the spot. Committed in the sense, you're retreating with a roll or wavedash or advancing with an attack, every little thing you do in this game takes at least a tiny bit of commitment, even fox's shine, and that tiny little bit of commitment or that large chunk of it can always be exploited when foreseen by an opponent.

Beyond knowing the, "do's and dont's" of the ganon vs marth match up, there are some necessary requirements for the player and not the character.

-Sufficient Tech Skill
---You can NOT miss l cancels as ganon, ever.
---Wavedash OoS is a life saver in this match up
---A strong edge game, marth is the king of gimping and edge guarding, ganon is the gerudo king, and he doesn't like to go out easily. Edge hop -> waveland -> jab/roll/etc, edge hop -> uair, invuln ledge stall, edge teching -> walljump -> up-b.
-Spacing
-Know your own traps >:)
-DI
-Awesome edge guarding

Gotta drive for two hours or so now, going to expand more on DI later tonight.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
one thing I taught myself that seems to be invaluable, is that you can punish even a perfectly spaced f smash with fair out of shield. if your a bit more technical than me, you should also be able to wd oos forward and grab before the marth can do anything.

dont know how known/relavent that is, but i figure every little bit helps.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
you can dair marths perfectly sweetspotted recovery i think, kage did it to me alot at genesis.

can anybody test this?
You can. When you time the dair correctly it should hit any marth up-b attempt at the ledge. I don't prefer this though, I'd much rather reverse uair first and then dair the second up-B attempt, when my opponent's up-B timing is undoubtedly off in comparison to their first try.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
You can. When you time the dair correctly it should hit any marth up-b attempt at the ledge. I don't prefer this though, I'd much rather reverse uair first and then dair the second up-B attempt, when my opponent's up-B timing is undoubtedly off in comparison to their first try.
^ this man knows he's talking about

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I was gonna post something about DI but honestly I realized I don't have enough specific knowledge to elaborate. But it's important, so everyone practice it. -_- Helps you stay alive and stuff.

Top Bottom