• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
do any of you foxes go about shining out of your dash dance (ie, you have to jc shine the first shine, and wavedash out of it)?

how do you go about doing it? i haven't figured out how i want my inputs to go, and what would be comfortable, or if such a thing is often done.

Bones0

Smash Legend
do any of you foxes go about shining out of your dash dance (ie, you have to jc shine the first shine, and wavedash out of it)?

how do you go about doing it? i haven't figured out how i want my inputs to go, and what would be comfortable, or if such a thing is often done.
Y -> Down+B

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman

Try the slide method.

It's like doing the shdl, but with your shine (and out of your dash). It should look like this:

1) Dash
2) Lightly tap Y to jump (like graze the bottom of the button)...
3) ...and slide your finger to down and B

Bam, shining dash attack!

(Hopefully you don't use X to jump).

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet

1. Step: Train Double-shines/ Multi-shines
2. Step: Train Shine out of shield / multishines out of shield
3. Step: Waveshines out of shield
4. Step: Try waveshining out of your dash (with a jc shine)

My advice for training step 4: Focus on the jc shine and then reactively wavedash either to the ground if you missed the timing or away.
After you got step 4 down and want to use it in a match you gotta be confident in your techskill, you can´t allow yourself to be even 1 frame off and furthermore if you want to gain any merit from this technique you have to do the wavedash input asap, you can´t wait and observe whether you timed your jc shine correcty or not in a real match at least not against spacies (cause you won´t be able to jab-reset them) or against Samus (for a waveshine-up-smash) and the like.
You got to ponder wheter you feel confident and consistent enough to go for an wavedash after them and might be able to set up a great combo/ lethal up-smash/ up-throw to up-air but also having the chance to get fuc* up super bad whenever you miss your timing, since your opponent should be able to punish a airdoge right infront of them even with being stunned from a shine or you go for a wavedash into the ground after your shine to be sure you won´t get punished for an airdoge (which can be performed much faster cause you are already holding down due to the shine input) but on the other hand you also lose several punish options (not all if you time your shine right and perform your wavedash into the ground fast enough).

Moreover, if you use my method you also train shining/waveshining out of shield which has much more potential than the majority here realises except some very rare thechskill monsters, and who doesn´t strive to be one of them :evil:

Edit:
If jc shining out of your dash is not consistent enough I´d rather use running shines to nair/dair/bair/up-air or shine-grabs instead of shining and wavedashing into the ground - but I´m not too sure about this since I jc shine already ;P

Lol my post looks way to funny :happysheep:

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
Most certainly you can react to the outcome of your jc shine input - just wait, distinguish between beeing in midair or on ground --> act accordingly. At least that´s how I used to train jc shines out of dashes.

Lol, Falco player sure you´re slow :yeahboi:

(damn it why ain´t there a trollface in here :c)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Most certainly you can react to the outcome of your jc shine input - just wait, distinguish between beeing in midair or on ground --> act accordingly. At least that´s how I used to train jc shines out of dashes.

Lol, Falco player sure you´re slow :yeahboi:

(damn it why ain´t there a trollface in here :c)
You would only have 3 frames to react to if your shine is grounded or not. A couple extra if you hit the opponent and undergo hitlag. You can't react to it.

I shine too slowly? :troll:

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
:falconmelee:: How did you do that? I demand you to tell me.

The window to jump out of your shine is somewhat bigger than 3 frames. Hence, you are able to jump-cancel your shines whenever you god damn please (not really at any time, but for a longer time period) and therefor you are able to wait until you realised whether you are in midair or not.
I´ve never stated being able to jump-cancel them asap on reaction. Fair enough?

Bones0

Smash Legend
:falconmelee:: How did you do that? I demand you to tell me.

The window to jump out of your shine is somewhat bigger than 3 frames. Hence, you are able to jump-cancel your shines whenever you god damn please (not really at any time, but for a longer time period) and therefor you are able to wait until you realised whether you are in midair or not.
I´ve never stated being able to jump-cancel them asap on reaction. Fair enough?
The window to jump out of your shine is infinite (you have to keep B pressed past a certain point though). But if you're just going to derp around in shine until you can react, you'll sink to the ground even if you shined 3-4 frames too late. You also won't get any followups because you wasted so much time sitting in shine.

Also, just type "umad" inside two colons.

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
The window to jump out of your shine is infinite (you have to keep B pressed past a certain point though). But if you're just going to derp around in shine until you can react, you'll sink to the groundeven if you shined 3-4 frames too late. You also won't get any followups because you wasted so much time sitting in shine.
Yeah, I know that. I guess this was a missunderstanding. I just propounded doing so to train jc waveshines.
The sequence(s) would be: dash --> jc shine --> wait until you realise what happend --> either waveland into the ground or wavedash away.
This helped me a lot learning dash jc waveshining faster and made me feel much more comfortable with the down b timing whenever I jc shine anything.
Also, just type "umad" inside two colons.
Thx

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
the order of practice is great. the order of buttons to use is nonexistant though. i can already jc shine, just not grounded very well. i usually resort to a swift platform waveland back down, but on FD i just have to double jump and hold whatever advantage i have from the knockdown from there. i guess i'll just use y->b->y->r, and practice.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone link me to videos where a Fox is showing excellent platform movement in a way that actually helps win the game? I don't want to see useless platform move for show. I've been watching Silent Wolf videos, which have been pretty good, but getting as many examples as possible is always a good thing.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I watched Mango's stuff. His movement is good on platforms, but I really don't think that's the reason he won. His reads are just unmatched.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
are people down to do nurturing sets where you talk and help me out and ****
wondering if people do that stuff especially at locals or do people get tight when you play to learn in tournament
also fox is so dope after evo everyone obssessed with fox, guess ill play fox over falco

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRIEyqYjaY

Any advice/tips in the last two games of this set would be nice.

My last Tournament ever is coming up in2 weeks and i plan on MMing this kid for like my smash career.

EDIT: if you notice, my controller kept buffering lightsheild after shinewaves so alot of ez follow ups were resets..

also its safe to say we both a little nervous. johns tho.

eternisedDragon

Smash Cadet
Since I´m short on time just a few points:
Stop fulljumping after staying in shield for a certain amount of time.
You waste your doublejumps way too often.
improve your DD-game by a ton and start fox-trotting in certain tech-chase situations.
Stop going for up-smashes only after respawning. Grabs and if you´d improve your techskill waveshines would be a much better choice.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I explained above that my controller kept buffering shields after wave shines so I kinda of worked around that knowing it would happen.
You should trigger trick your controller and that won't happen. It might mess you up if you L-cancel with that trigger though, and you won't be able to lightshield with it.

You should trigger trick your controller and that won't happen. It might mess you up if you L-cancel with that trigger though, and you won't be able to lightshield with it.
ive always hated those trigger mods lol. you should replace the rubber pad in the shoulder button thats doing it. my controllers broken like that a few times in the past. the central part of the rubber pad rips and eventually breaks off, causing it to remain on the button sensor sometimes after you press it. your trigger will prob click harder but you get over it quick

Bones0

Smash Legend
ive always hated those trigger mods lol. you should replace the rubber pad in the shoulder button thats doing it. my controllers broken like that a few times in the past. the central part of the rubber pad rips and eventually breaks off, causing it to remain on the button sensor sometimes after you press it. your trigger will prob click harder but you get over it quick
Yeah, I had one of my trigger rubbers break before, but I also had a trigger that was just sticky on the part that slides back and forth. I constantly had to take it apart during tournaments to blow air into it to get out whatever debris was tripping it up.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
from time to time, my L will not light shield, this is a tit ass problem since i l cancel without going all the way down so i can do that or light shield
wtf do you do, i usually throw my controller and hope it works when i pick it up
i have had similar cases just like this
i wanted to play 2person battletoads but my wires on my other controller were bad so i had to throw my controller until it worked
but as ive tried countless times before a set, i am unable to cure my controller of this john which is legitimate cuz now i cant l cancel
wtf do i do

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
from time to time, my L will not light shield, this is a tit *** problem since i l cancel without going all the way down so i can do that or light shield
wtf do you do, i usually throw my controller and hope it works when i pick it up
i have had similar cases just like this
i wanted to play 2person battletoads but my wires on my other controller were bad so i had to throw my controller until it worked
but as ive tried countless times before a set, i am unable to cure my controller of this john which is legitimate cuz now i cant l cancel
wtf do i do
Try throwing it even harder, or if that doesnt work throw it even harder

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i shud read past posts before i post myself cuz sometimes your answers are already answered, ah real talk

but if your looking for a shield pressure practice controller, jam a penny into the trigger

Zoler

Smash Ace
I don't do the trigger trick because I l-cancel with L and I shield with L, and I never press the button all the way down when i l-cancel... :(

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Is there anything else that would be causing my lightsheild to buffer?

Ive swapped out my R button like 3 times now and the problem still persists.

I dont like the trigger trick because i realized a lightsheild alot.

Helpppppp

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is there anything else that would be causing my lightsheild to buffer?

Ive swapped out my R button like 3 times now and the problem still persists.

I dont like the trigger trick because i realized a lightsheild alot.

Helpppppp
What part did you swap out? It's probably dirt under the little peg that slides.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
yea im pretty sure everyone lightly l cancels now, glad i learned to early cuz it saved my life with missed techs
the way im using my controller, im probably gonna need to invest in like atleast a new controller a year
a try that new **** where you wrap up the controller port thing through the middle and make it taught and you go from there
but i cant clean my controllers cuz im too lazy or dont know how lol, other than that i have found the prefect space animal controller

Bones0

Smash Legend
Would that being doing it? i didnt see any dirt or anything on it. Ive completely put in 3 new R buttons. (every piece) and but on completely new backs. (I only L cancel with L so i dont really need a steller L button.)
If you take it apart and try to slide the peg with your finger, you should be able to tell if it's catching a bit more than the other trigger. If it's not that, it is either the spring or the actual gray plastic part (which I doubt since you'd be able to see the dirt or w/e gunking it up).

My friends controller was broken like that a couple months ago. He switched everything about his shoulder buttons and the problem persisted. He had to swap out the motherboard to 'fix' it, so its prob over for your c tro

Top Bottom