• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

earla

Smash Lord
could someone explain this formula strongbad gave me? im not good with maths.

calculate frame advantage on shield with
shieldstun = floor{(4.45+damage)/2.235}

earla

Smash Lord
did it for foxes jab. equalled 3.78 .. or 3.5 i'll round it down to.

this means we have 3 and a half frames advantage if we hit the opponents shield?

or does this mean 3.5 frames disadvantage?

Pengie

Smash Lord
The way that I understand it, it means that you have 3 (because you always round down to a whole number) frames of stun; to figure out your frame advantage you'd find the difference between the stun and the remainder of the attacks animation.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
did it for foxes jab. equalled 3.78 .. or 3.5 i'll round it down to.

this means we have 3 and a half frames advantage if we hit the opponents shield?

or does this mean 3.5 frames disadvantage?
does 4 damage right? (4 + 4.45) / 2.235 = 3.78
floor(3.78) = 3
there are no fractional frames. round down to the next whole number.
3 frames of shieldstun. this does not mean 3 frames of advantage. you'd have to subtract endlag from the jab to get advantage. meaning you are at a disadvantage.
it's really hard to have frame advantage in this game.

earla

Smash Lord
is it possible to calculate shield dis/advantage with aerials?

its complicated because some aerials may not even finish before you l cancel them.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I've been experimenting on pikachu for a while and i found a combo useful. bthrow> JC upsmash. your reading this and you say wait bthrow>JC upsmash. It works. try it out. I no longer have to uthrow uair and pika sdi the uair.

I've been experimenting on pikachu for a while and i found a combo useful. bthrow> JC upsmash. your reading this and you say wait bthrow>JC upsmash. It works. try it out. I no longer have to uthrow uair and pika sdi the uair.
im pretty sure that doesnt combo.

if theyre really SDIing your uair just switch it up with a bair sometimes. a lot of times people think the uair is getting SDId out of, when in reality they only hit with the first hit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It can also work on fox/falco with in-ward DI. Basically its only useful on corneria when they want to DI into the fin on the uthrow, so you bthrow usmash instead. Maybe if you grab at the edge and you know they will DI away (off stage) you can bthrow usmash instead, but its not necessary.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
floor(x) - commonly written as [[x]] or the square braces with only the bottom serif, is defined as the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

in layman's terms you cut off the decimal part.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
What do you guys think about nair>usmash against falco around 45%? The push off of the nair will give you enough time to usmash.

Brookman

Smash Hero
dude if it works for you . .. great, you don't need us to give you the stamp of approval for every tiny thing you do in the game.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
What do you guys think about nair>usmash against falco around 45%? The push off of the nair will give you enough time to usmash.
see if u can late nair into dash cancel up tilt. its better for comboing. u may not be able to get the up tilt if they di down and away tho.

nair to grab is also something to be aware of.
:phone:

Brookman

Smash Hero
. .. . this game isn't about comboing and up smash will combo if they don't DI. If they DI, they're off the stage.. . . That's the point.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So, a question to Fox mains: I'm sure that this has happened to someone in here. I'm in a match, moving around, doing Fox things, but then all of a sudden, I realize that I'm going too fast. Too fast, as in, I'm doing things without thinking about them, because there's no time. Then, I just freeze up. I guess that I'm trying to catch up with my fingers, and everything stops, and then there I am, standing. Takes me a while to get back into a rhythm.

It's a rather vague question that has nothing to do with matchups nor frame data, but if anyone had any tips on how to "not choke," I'd appreciate it. It's happens in friendlies, so it isn't connected to nerves, I think...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I plan a few decisions ahead of time and let my fingers do the guitar hero work. Also lots of instinct and stuff.

:phone:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Lots of rest and play more. playing more is basically the only way to avoid choking. I have a thread for this. It helped me a lot.

Brookman

Smash Hero
fox doesn't know how to zone. he knows how to peg with lasers, dash dance, and grab/up smash/nair/dair/shine/bair

Top Bottom