• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I had a gigantic revelation and I think I finally realized how to nair in Fox dittos.
That's easy.

In neutral you either don't or do them in a way that screws with their spacing. The latter obviously is trickier vs better opponents. You can also do it to go around things, but this is hard vs another Fox since his action windows are hard and nair's low range / no priority below it sucks vs a character who likes dash dance grab and hitting "up moves" on descending opponents.

In combos rules of nair are just "don't let them edgecancel if they DI away" and "if they DI away, force them to tech".

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
That's easy.

In neutral you either don't or do them in a way that screws with their spacing. The latter obviously is trickier vs better opponents. You can also do it to go around things, but this is hard vs another Fox since his action windows are hard and nair's low range / no priority below it sucks vs a character who likes dash dance grab and hitting "up moves" on descending opponents.

In combos rules of nair are just "don't let them edgecancel if they DI away" and "if they DI away, force them to tech".
Yeah I was speaking more to the neutral game, and particularly about doing them "in a way that screws with their spacing." i.e. starting your nair towards the end of their dash distance away from you such that they can't DD grab you; or doing them as you have stage control such that you catch them trying to do their own SH aerial out of the corner.

Next I just need to figure out how M2K makes FJ nair look so amazing. I think a big part of it is mixing up the fastfall timing and doing it in situations where anti-air usmash is awkward to hit. I hardly ever approach with FJ against Fox though. I wonder if I should.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
"Towards the end of their dash distance away from you"

Is this as the window for their dash away is ending, so they have to dash back towards you? So you're nairing at a time/spacing where they're forced to deal with it (or maybe that's a position when they can't deal with it?) What would stop them from just pivot grabbing you if it's near the end of their dash away (but still in their dash away)?

If none of this makes sense, just ignore it. :p

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
"Towards the end of their dash distance away from you"

Is this as the window for their dash away is ending, so they have to dash back towards you? So you're nairing at a time/spacing where they're forced to deal with it (or maybe that's a position when they can't deal with it?) What would stop them from just pivot grabbing you if it's near the end of their dash away (but still in their dash away)?

If none of this makes sense, just ignore it. :p
Yea that's pretty much what I meant. I mean, I think the general idea is to catch them dashing towards you by nairing just as they're about to turn around. Even from a theoretical standpoint, pivot grab doesn't apply because they'd already have turned around in the situation I'm referring to.

In any case, more generally the idea is to nair in such a way that they can't DD grab you. Often this is done by smartly intruding into their DD space; other times this is done by catching them trying to SH aerial out of the corner because they're out of position. I know it sounds pretty obvious, but there are a lot of subtleties that go into it and I think I got a lot better at it recently. Gonna continue to work on smart and airtight approaches from here on out, both vs. Fox and vs. other characters.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
FH Nair can be used while straight approaching. FJ Bair requires a slightly greater amount of setup, and can be DD grabbed unless you delay the start of the bair a bit. FJ Nair is less demanding on player input, but doesn't AC.

Both are useful, but have different applications.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I don't think that's an AC. M2K fastfalls it in such a way that even if you could AC FJ nair, he's not getting the AC. It's still a pretty awkward timing to punish out of shield.

Which reminds me, mixing up the timing of your FF and mixing up whether you go deep/pull back when you FJ nair are both really good ways to prevent getting punished.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Can someone break down all the elements and explain the spacing/distance/usage for full hop nairs?

I know that's a hole in my Fox game . I don't see how dropping with a low priority nair is a good thing or desirable but that's why I am asking

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I mean it depends on what character you're fighting too. FJ nair has a very useful application in the Sheik matchup, for example; you can full jump in (and not do an aerial yet), with the purpose of calling Sheik's short hop. If Sheik does short hop, you stuff it with a nair on the way down. If she throws out a bad tilt, you can land on top of her with a drill or behind her with a deep bair. And if she doesn't do anything, and is at a spacing where she could punish your FJ, you can doublejump away to safety and waveland onto a platform or something.

FJ nair done right gives you a way to punish jumps with prediction while still giving you a relatively safe way out, by mixing up the timing of your FF/the direction you fade, and whether or not you go to a platform after your FJ. On stages like Pokemon Stadium you can also attack people in the corner with FJ nair (calling their jump) and then edgecancelling the FJ off one of the side platforms. There are a bazillion ways to FJ appropriately in the neutral game.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Toph, (in regards to your epiphany) sounds like what you're describing is 'overshooting'. I'm almost 100% sure you already did that (when you were in Toronto that one time); it's almost impossible to overcome a tight DD game without it. Essentially, you're aiming behind them with your nairs / shines / FH moves in anticipation of their pivot grab attempt or retreating DD. If done correctly you can often end up tricking opponents into cornering themselves (they keep moving back to prevent your overshoot and have no more room to DD) which lends you massive positional advantage.

This one of things i think about most when playing DD heavy match-ups (Fox / Marth / Falcon)

Also Eggm uses FH nair pretty well, you might find some good examples in his old vids.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Right, I know I was already doing that. It's not like I've never done good nairs before. But I feel like I'm able to concretely recognize when I should or shouldn't nair in certain ways much better than I used to. Hard to explain why.

Edit: I also feel like I got much better at catching my opponents trying to push out of the corner, pre-empting their approach, which would be undershooting if anything. So I guess I just got better at realizing which to do, and when.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Thank you both for your response. I have that video playing currently and I understand the FJ usage now/more. I thought people would do it to approach but it's more of a safe way to make your opponent flinch (or call them out) and stuff their options while mainting yours. Right. At least that's my intepretation.

Is there any insight or guide on the most efficient way to uthrow->uair? (It's funny how I can SDI out of them better than I can perform them) For midweights and floaties?

For peach specifically I feel like she can DI pretty far away to a position that you can't reach. I asked someone else this and I couldn't get a straight answer, do you run then jump or jump and move in the air to chase hard DI away? I don't know about you all but I think it is one of the few times jumping with the control stick makes something easier.

I guess I have one more unrelated question. When you ASDI, can you already be holding (the control/or c-stick) when you get hit to perform the ASDI or do you have to do it on the 1st frame of hit lag?

Btw I'll try to get some matches recorded in the near future. Hanky Panky (my training partner) has a set up.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Pretty sure you can hold either stick to get ASDI.

From what small Fox-Peach practice I have, running uairs usually do a good job of following Peach's DI after uthrow if they DI hard left or right.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Pretty sure you can hold either stick to get ASDI.

From what small Fox-Peach practice I have, running uairs usually do a good job of following Peach's DI after uthrow if they DI hard left or right.

Let me clear up my questions, for the ASDI I want to know if you just have to be holding the direction prior to being hit to get an ASDI input. And I am referring to peach at kill percent idk if that makes a difference. I am practicing getting them on the CPU (I keep changing the levels so they DI differently but none of them do the super hard DI away so it's not that helpful).

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Let me clear up my questions, for the ASDI I want to know if you just have to be holding the direction prior to being hit to get an ASDI input. And I am referring to peach at kill percent idk if that makes a difference. I am practicing getting them on the CPU (I keep changing the levels so they DI differently but none of them do the super hard DI away so it's not that helpful).
Yes, holding the direction prior to being hit is sufficient. It's SDI that has a strict timing (but SDI is also more effective).

Bones0

Smash Legend
The actual movement from ASDI occurs either on the last frame of hitlag or the frame after hitlag ends (I forget which). You have to input the ASDI by that frame. It's right after regular SDI if that helps you orient the timing in your head. You never really have to time ASDI anyway since you are almost always either going to be holding the same direction the whole time and guarantee the ASDI, or you're going to SDI intentionally and guarantee the ASDI in the same direction you SDIed. If you don't get the ASDI off in time, you just missed your DI in general.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Thank you both kindly, again

edit:
http://youtu.be/Lh4E-cHtrII?t=4m27s

Jabbing through falco ledge hop lasers? I doesn't look like it was intentional but that actually looks interesting since falco's opt for that 99% of the time (from what I have observed). It's not as good as being able to power shield the first laser but it might beat any of Falco's follow ups or actions if you mash A after you get hit by the first laser.

I am a pretty big fan of hit confirming jabs into a smash/nair/bair

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
ElloEddy: How are you planning on getting your CC shines?

Tachi: I'm not sure if jab really sends them far enough. In the video you linked Zhu managed to DI through the jab (the Falco would definitely be holding in anyway); that was the worst case scenario, and I feel like in the best case scenario Falco would just land on the ledge lol. If you're gonna mash something between the lasers, mash on shine. Or get your shield up, take whatever Falco tries to do after the lasers (hopefully it isn't a grab) and shine him OOS.

^ All tried and true btw.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
CCing against Sheik aerials is unreliable. CCing Sheik tilts is scary because if she doesn't tilt you, you probably just got grabbed/d-smashed. Most Sheiks won't do anything unsafe to a stationary Fox at low percents anyway, so yea I don't see CC shine being by any means an end-all-be-all.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if they hold shield drill -> grab works, but drill -> upsmash doesn't.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
If Peach hard DIs behind Fox and DJ + airdodges out appropriately, I don't think uthrow > uair combos her. Not legitimately.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
you guys will have an interesting set to look at soon. me vs esam fox dittos. he ended up SDing when he went samus, so i actually beat it. his fox knows what it's doing a little better than mine though, so he 3-0'd me in fox dittos.

i find it comical that i took a game off the samus and not the fox, considering...javi things...

Bones0

Smash Legend
http://youtu.be/z1Py4XK62bE?t=14m9s

Feedback for either/both would be much appreciated
- I think you nair-shine a little too much for Fox dittos. I feel like you were getting a lot of first hits but not being able to capitalize because you were shining. Grabbing or utilting if you can hit confirm your approaching nair would probably lead to much more consistent punishes. I also thought you could have substituted a few of your uthrow usmashes with uthrow utilts so you can combo a bit longer before knocking them off stage.

- I don't like how much you dash attack. I feel like it will get punished a lot by players who are better at shielding. At 15:30, he was at 120% in turn around lag and you could have just usmashed his face into oblivion instead of DAing. Also, at one point you scooped him off the ground with dash attack, but he just floated out because it doesn't have enough stun. You could have run cancelled into a shine-usmash or dtilt to keep him in stun.

- A few of your FH bairs could have been replaced with FH uairs since he was at a lower percent where you want to combo instead of knock him away.

- When you up-B, try to start it at good heights/distances. For at least two of the up-Bs that you did, you started slightly below the ledge from pretty far away. This means you can't really use the angle, and you can't go straight at the ledge either. Spacie recoveries get a lot easier to cover once you dip below the ledge because you no longer have to worry about that straight horizontal recovery, and when they can't angle against the stage for part of their up-B there are no teching options or timing mixups (except for FF vs. no FF once the up-B finishes).

- I like the drill usage (ironically, you didn't shine much after drills). You stuck to grabs, but also don't be afraid to utilt if you can hit confirm and the percent is right.

Top Bottom