• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Where do I wanna take Sheik? Where do I not want to go? Im guessing not to go FD vs her. I guess she really wants to take me to FoD? If so why? I reallly don't get what she gains from that stage except the high ceilings and I guess janky ftilt/utilt platform crap.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think FD is very good for Fox vs Sheik. But that's me. You can abuse her poor landing (uthrow her and you'll see what I mean) and mediocre aerial mobility there, she has no platforms to work with, her recovery becomes super free there, and you can sort of just combo her everywhere and she can't do too much about it (no platforms for edgecancels).

Just my two cents.

Lovage

Smash Hero
FD is amazing vs. sheik because she can't recover onto platforms. in-game this translates to getting huge, free punishes any time you can force her to use up+b

FoD is fine if you are good at that map, but i would personally ban it because of utilt/ftilt shenanigans (assuming regular ruleset)

dreamland/BF are both even in my opinion, i think fox has a slight adv. on dreamland as well tho.

yoshi's is fox advantage

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Thanks guys. Why is Yoshi's good for Fox? The ceiling?
I always thought FD was bad vs Sheik because of techchase. I wasn't really taking into account anything else lol thanks. Yeah I'd say DL is better for Fox.
BF scares me because I dont wanna get caught under the ledge. Or I GUESS I could just practice my Lovage angles.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
tech-chases happen regardless of stage, fod's the only one that improves them really

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Late aerials are pretty much required if you're landing in front of someone's shield. If you're crossing them up or are already behind them, you have a lot more freedom.
Ah, yes cross-ups yet another thing I don't understand about this game.

Thanks for the quick bits of information everyone

unknown522

Some guy
FD is amazing vs. sheik because she can't recover onto platforms. in-game this translates to getting huge, free punishes any time you can force her to use up+b

FoD is fine if you are good at that map, but i would personally ban it because of utilt/ftilt shenanigans (assuming regular ruleset)

dreamland/BF are both even in my opinion, i think fox has a slight adv. on dreamland as well tho.

yoshi's is fox advantage
Not bad. I mean, I don't agree but your opinions are interesting as well.

IMO DL64 is fox's best level.

Yoshi's is fox's worst.

FoD a close second (though I CP it anyway)

FD 3rd, BF for second best.

My reasoning is because a good sheik won't let you run them over on small levels.

Yoshi's has no breathing room and is gimp central. A lot of combo breaks happen because they grab the ledge from so random hits a lot of the time (like a shine from almost center stage) will put them on the ledge. Then you have lost your combo. A lot of fox's best approach options and combo starters have a horizontal knockback (unless you land a raw grab, or bad DI. The slopes do not benefit you in any way, unlike for sheik.

3 things that are really good on yoshi's is that you get faster kill power, the fact that she can't SH aerials on some parts of the stage, and can send sheik off the stage earlier. The problem is that sheik also gets those things. If you get put in a gimp setup, there is no chance to make it back because she can reach you from anywhere due to small blast zones.

FoD, yeah the tilts through the platforms give sheik extra unneeded pressure and added combos randomly. Sometimes they can give you random combo breaks. The large blast zones and the random platform settings sometimes help your recovery. Also the top platform taking sheik a bit of time to reach is also good for recovery. (fortunately most sheiks suck on this level)

FD has no platforms to manuveur around sheik's defense. Fox uses platforms better than sheik does in general so that's a lot of power gone (fortunately most sheiks suck on this level). For the no platforms to recover on comment, you can punish sheik hard on platforms as well. Sometimes even harder than on FD. A big problem is that you don't have platforms to recover on. Which makes sheik taking the ledge to edgeguard you really really gay. A lot of times good DI wont even help you on that level And oh god the needles. A lot of mid-high percent escapes from sheik's combos revolve around getting on / edge canceling off of a platform. Missed combos and bad combo decisions still turn into a free tech chase sometimes too

BF is good for the Size of the stage, and the height of the platforms. There's room to move around and ways to mitigate damage. You can really get destroyed from Gimps on that level, but all around you have the space for solid combos, edgeguarding, recovery, and general movement. Top platform is too good. Not even just for camping.

DL64, as much as I dislike this level, it gives fox most of what he wants in a level; survivability, without givin the opponent too much of that, space to move, room to combo, space to survive combos, high platforms, and the option to camp it up if you're into that.

More to add. Family time

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think the low ceiling and full-wall outweighs the chance of getting gimped too hard
yoshis is a stage for men

edit:
you're of course spot on about the rest though - i think fox wins the matchup overall like 56:44

unknown522

Some guy
Lol Otto chillin with the prime huh?

I remember that guy was so mad that our pool went sheik on him at the last apex. (me, Javi, and warriorknight)

:phone:

edit: I was bored at work

G

genkaku

does fox's uptilt have less priority than falco's? I can't picture it in my head.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If u shine sheik to the ledgeand she falls off (about to autograb) can you land the dsmash?
You probably can if she's just barely making it onto the ledge and you waveshine into the dsmash asap. I would never try it because if you **** up they're just gonna regular getup or something and gimp you. lol

does fox's uptilt have less priority than falco's? I can't picture it in my head.
You don't have to picture it in your head. lol

Lovage

Smash Hero
even when i see those two images, it means nothing to me

when i see falco's utilt in-game, that's when i get a perspective on how good it is at beating approaches

Engo

Smash Ace
Ryan you should post the Falco drawing in the falco boards. That one was pretty nice lol

Also, has Lovage been practicing again? Last I heard he'd stopped and didn't make it out of pools at KoC. I'm genuinely curious because I liked your fox.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
G

genkaku

watching lucky s2j gfs of wgf 2012
s2j's rolls are doing really weird things, haha

Top Bottom