• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Not really. Its good to have if you notice they just won't approach or in certain safe instances (basically laser punishes), but giving up your position for a laser is not worth it usually.

Actually I still have a bad habit of using lasers and doing that tho lol

:phone:

PB&J

Smash Hero
otto- I noticed when you would knock someone off the stage you would laser and then back up a little and letting them grab the ledge again.

Try applying more pressure and closing the gap a bit more to pressure them near the ledge. I think if you worked on that it would help out alot

Bones0

Smash Legend
nah sideb is considerably slower than wavedash. Fox's sideb doesn't grab til ~16, plus just getting to the edge. Falco has to wait the whole sideb animation so hes even worse off.

Shine turn around only adds like 6 frames on its own so its not bad on its own, but if you are dashing first it costs you.

And to expand on what Lovage said, pc edgehog might be the fastest method to grab the edge, if you can do it, use it.
More people should ledgeshine (where you use shine to turn around and slide off during the jumpsquat frames of your JC). It's by far the fastest method if you're coming from any distance far enough to let you get a run going. I remember seeing a vid of Lovage JCing into ledgeshines, but I'm not sure how practical that is. Then there's also pivoting onto the ledge, but **** that. Way too hard. lol Maybe one day...

That....IS bones??
What IS Bones?

Any tips on wd out of shine backwards?
JC before moving the stick from down to the diagonal.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
More people should ledgeshine (where you use shine to turn around and slide off during the jumpsquat frames of your JC). It's by far the fastest method if you're coming from any distance far enough to let you get a run going. I remember seeing a vid of Lovage JCing into ledgeshines, but I'm not sure how practical that is. Then there's also pivoting onto the ledge, but **** that. Way too hard. lol Maybe one day...

What IS Bones?

JC before moving the stick from down to the diagonal.
Don't I have to reset the stick back to neutral? For some reason I have always thought this. It blows my mind when I see Fox's wd out of shine really far and grab/Usmash lol

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
If by pivoting onto the ledge, you mean doing the PC...that's definitely not hard. But I'm not sure what you mean by pivoting onto the ledge.

Lovage

Smash Hero
you can pivot drop to grab the edge, but it's pretty hard and only good with some characters

shine-hogging isn't that underrated because it's also really hard and inconsistent. theres some spots i like to go for it, but usually the risk isn't worth it

"PC" walkoffs are the best and most underused trick for anyone with an amazing walk (spacies, marth)

Bones0

Smash Legend
you can pivot drop to grab the edge, but it's pretty hard and only good with some characters

shine-hogging isn't that underrated because it's also really hard and inconsistent. theres some spots i like to go for it, but usually the risk isn't worth it

"PC" walkoffs are the best and most underused trick for anyone with an amazing walk (spacies, marth)
I can do it pretty consistently. >.>

Niko_K

Smash Master
Were just talking about PC walk offs and pivot drops at our casuals today.. I was always under the impression based on my own personal experience that they were extremely easy. A few newer players picked it up in a few minutes today. Jus saiyan

Lovage

Smash Hero
bones is insanecarzyguys account after his main got banned

either that or hes UltimaKingZant on youtube i can't figure out who he is

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
no theyre not the same people lol. i saw icg play azen at apex

Lovage

Smash Hero
utilt is a move you use to beat other approaches

not a move i could recommend to brainless foxes

dair you use to beat CC and to unreliabley beat shield grabs

Lovage

Smash Hero
Is it true that if you dair and it hits 4 times on shield it's safe?
something like that, idk

the theory i have for it is: dair has 5 parts to it, they are active every 3rd frame which means there's a 2-frame deadzone between each kick of dair. this means better shield pressure can be achieved by always landing right after hitstun is applied to their shield

it's hard to master a stupid timing like that, so the move REMAINS inconsistent even in 2012

edit: 3 frames not 2 thx KK

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
something like that, idk

the theory i have for it is: dair has 5 parts to it, they are active every 2nd frame which means there's a 1-frame deadzone between each kick of dair. this means better shield pressure can be achieved by always landing the frame after your kick hits, instead of 2 frames after your kick hits.

it's hard to master a stupid timing like that, so the move REMAINS inconsistent even in 2012
From my shield pressure thread:

======================

Dair Shine

Assumes frame perfection in SHFF timing and perfect jumps out of Shine. Something worth noting is that this model assumes you do the Dair frame perfectly, which means a perfectly fast falled SHFFL Dair produces 4 hits, opposed to 3. I haven't calculated what the difference between the 3 hit chain and the 4 hit chain looks like. Not sure if I will.

01 Shine hitlag
02 hitlag
03 hitlag
04 hitlag
07 Jump start (1)
08 (2)

09 (3)
10 Airborne, Dair start (01)
11 (02)
12 (03)
13 (04)

14 (05) Dair hit ~ Stun 1 – 4 ~ All hitlag occurs here
15 (06) Stun – 5
16 (07) Stun – 6
17 (08) Dair hit ~ Stun 1 – 4 ~ All hitlag occurs here
18 (09) Stun – 5
19 (10) Stun – 6
20 (11) Dair hit ~ Stun 1 – 4 ~ All hitlag occurs here
21 (12) Stun – 5
22 (13) Stun – 6
23 (14) Dair hit ~ Stun 1 – 4 ~ All hitlag occurs here
24 (15) Stun – 5
25 Land, L-cancel (1) Stun – 6
26 (2) Stun – 7

27 (3)
28 (4)
29 (5)
30 (6)
31 (7)
32 (8)
33 (9)

34 Shine

======================

So basically, the dair has some amount of hits (6 or more, I forget). When you SH dair, if you input the FF and get the dair out pretty fast then you have 4 hits and the 4th hit connects within a couple frames of landing (either 1 frame of falling, 0 frames of falling, and I forget if there can be 2 but w/e). This essentially means that - provided you got a good FF timing and all 4 hits - your window of vulnerability is 6-7 frames before you shine. I obviously don't need to tell you that shield grabs go active on frame 7. Other important things that go active quickly: Falco shine OOS (6), Sheik nair OOS (hit 6, airborne & moving 4), Fox shine OOS (4), Samus Up+B OOS (invuln frame 2), Bowser Up+B OOS (invuln frame 2), Peach nair OOS (hit 8, airborne & moving 6).

It's not very good vs shield IMO but I mean it's not completely terrible either because of the niche it fills during pressure, where its hitbox is, and its immunity to crouch canceling. That said, I'm partial to simply grabbing the bubble whenever possible.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm not sure why drill is thought to be so bad on shield - yea, it's not great, but people are willing to sh early/mid nair on shield all the time, which is no better in terms of "theoretical safety". (It's probably true that it's harder to time an oos option against mid nair than dair because of the stun though).

In practice, I find that I pretty much never get shieldgrabbed between the dair and the shine if I executed it correctly. It's not something that you actively try to hit shields with, but the case where you do end up hitting their shield is not bad enough that it should discourage you from using it.

I especially like using sh instant dair out of shine on shield vs. players who are trigger happy with acting oos after shine. Hitting their OOS action with your dair is one of the few times Fox can hitconfirm a clean combo starter during shield pressure, and vs. most non-spacies dair -> shine is pretty much the highest reward hit you can land on them.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before but I was watching the GF of Gegnesis 2 and watched like 2 minutes of a match in super slow motion. I was actually really surprised to see how much mango mixed up his aerial timings. Sometimes he would SHFFL aggro his aerials, sometimes he would sh but he wouldn't FF and still other times he would full-hop. The last bit was the most surprising to me, the full hop nairs. It's hard to describe but the full hop nair had a strange way of covering a lot more vertical options (at least I assume this is the case). I'm not really even sure why I'm posting this I just thought it was interesting to see how much he mixed up his aerial timings. Is this something everyone does? Is it worth learning how to implement?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Late aerials are pretty much required if you're landing in front of someone's shield. If you're crossing them up or are already behind them, you have a lot more freedom.

Top Bottom