• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Alotsa

Smash Cadet
Can some one please break down how one executes moves while moving backwards from your opponent? Specifically reverse N-airs and SHL, I can do them but it just happens kinda like a reflex.

-thanks

Brookman

Smash Hero
sounds like you're just bad tbh. You need to just re-evaluate your basic gameplay (read: spacing) concepts and your tech skill foundation. Also, learn to abuse lasers.

record matches is the best piece of advice I can offer you.

L__

Smash Master
o k

hey fox players

when you get cold hands

do you guys just play through it

or like

do u guise have some secrets 0.o

mebbe ill buy some hand warm3rs h4h4

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I feel like tech skill comes from knowing what your opponent is going to do (unless you don't have good tech skill on computers) so it doesn't matter for me whether or not my hands are cold (unless it's actually like, super cold in the venue somehow, I don't mind a little chilly is what I mean)

L__

Smash Master
Yeah idk I'm like super sensitive to a lot of factors when it comes to playing in tournament which sucks **** since the extent of the sensitivity never really let up as I played more

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"I feel like tech skill comes from knowing what your opponent is going to do (unless you don't have good tech skill on computers) so it doesn't matter for me whether or not my hands are cold (unless it's actually like, super cold in the venue somehow, I don't mind a little chilly is what I mean)"

this is not true at all. haven't you ever had your tech skill off so you play using really simple strategies and do almost as well as normal, cause you still know what they are doing? but then you're pissed off even though you're winning because you know inside your hands are cold and you can't go for anything cool

EWC

Smash Ace
My tech skill totally disintegrates every winter. Even if my hands aren't currently cold, just them having been cold an hour ago makes my tech skill awful.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
"I feel like tech skill comes from knowing what your opponent is going to do (unless you don't have good tech skill on computers) so it doesn't matter for me whether or not my hands are cold (unless it's actually like, super cold in the venue somehow, I don't mind a little chilly is what I mean)"

this is not true at all. haven't you ever had your tech skill off so you play using really simple strategies and do almost as well as normal, cause you still know what they are doing? but then you're pissed off even though you're winning because you know inside your hands are cold and you can't go for anything cool
Sometimes I guess
I definitely feel like I play a lot worse technically vs better players because they're doing things I'm not used to though

I certainly don't think it's "not true at all" <_<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Does hard shield come out on frame 1?
yes.
Explain what happens when you powershield twice rapidly, for instance powershielding one of fox's drill hits then powershielding then next because shield was still being held down. The shield happens to come out again when the next drill hit comes out. Isn't that similar to what Sveet meant with the one frame issue. I might call it buffering
fox's drill is the same hitbox looped; it PSes the first one then it thinks it's PSing it again. is my best guess

Meneks

Smash Lord
tech skill is consistency of stuff you do.
Isn't that just called consistency?

If I only knew how to wavedash but was consistent wouldn't that still be a lack of tech skill?

I always got the notion that being technical meant doing several difficult moves in a short period of time.

Like if a fox nair shines a falcon to grab, as opposed to a fox nair turn around shine to uptilt

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tech skill is doing what you want to do without error. Doing fancier stuff is more of a choice, and can actually lead to less overall tech skill if you aren't consistent with it. IMO

You can be a **** about semantics and go like "What if I want to stand still do I have the most tech skill in the world?" but then you're just ruining things

Blu

Smash Apprentice
tech skill is consistency of stuff you do.
Tech skill is doing what you want to do without error....

... You can be a **** about semantics and go like "What if I want to stand still do I have the most tech skill in the world?" but then you're just ruining things
Collected knowledge from higher-ups:

What makes this the appropriate definition is that no matter who you are, at this point everyone is expected to have--at the very least--a basic foundation of technical skill simply because one should assume their opponent will. Aside from instances in which certain techniques are less useful to specific characters and matchups, having as much knowledge of the game as possible is expected of anybody who wants better themselves as a player and use their full potential.

If someone doesn't use the tools they're given to improve their performance (e.g. cutting lag, using more movement/approaching options, improving recovery), they're immediately lessening their chances of winning before they even sit down to play. Which begs to question why they're playing competitively in the first place.

Just come prepared, I guess. =p

Meneks

Smash Lord
You can be a **** about semantics and go like "What if I want to stand still do I have the most tech skill in the world?" but then you're just ruining things
How is it ruining anything other than your definition of the term tech skill?
And that isn't even close as to what I was saying, I said if I only knew how to wavedash but was consistent at it, wouldnt that be a LACK of techskill, idk where you came up with the idea of most tech skill in the world when I used "lack"

Anyways.. I'm not starting an argument, thats just what I always thought

I realized tech skill, and being technical have a slight difference in definition?
Collected knowledge from higher-ups:

What makes this the appropriate definition is that no matter who you are, at this point everyone is expected to have--at the very least--a basic foundation of technical skill simply because one should assume their opponent will.
Not saying that their definition isn't correct, but I don't agree with this reasoning.

Kids rise to the best of their little groups and get cocky by beating the last event match and go into tournies thinking they're going to win it without ever being in one and get *****. So I still don't think we can really expect anything.
everyone started playing this game at a different point of time even at this phase

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
look at this guy ruining everything
i wasn't specifically referring to you if that's what you were wondering. "You" refers to the reader.

Meneks

Smash Lord
look at this guy ruining everything
i wasn't specifically referring to you if that's what you were wondering. "You" refers to the reader.
Aww, sucks when someone who has a different opinion/view comes along and totally RUINS everything.. maaaaaaaaan..

Lol, I thought you meant me since the comment was made after I posted. :upsidedown:

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
It's not that you have a different opinion, it's that you're deliberately belaboring definitions at the expense of contributing, or even allowing others to contribute, any actual advice. By miring the thread down in an unnecessary semantic discussion when everyone can just say "*shrug* yeah i guess that's a reasonable definition," you're annoying people and dissuading useful conversation.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
well that's a little harsh foxlisk lol. i don't even think he was the one who brought it up

Meneks

Smash Lord
It's not that you have a different opinion, it's that you're deliberately belaboring definitions at the expense of contributing, or even allowing others to contribute, any actual advice. By miring the thread down in an unnecessary semantic discussion when everyone can just say "*shrug* yeah i guess that's a reasonable definition," you're annoying people and dissuading useful conversation.
Did I piss you off?

Chill out...

I don't even think I caused that much of a stir, I don't even think you read my posts..

I don't even think I brought up any semantics.................

I didn't "deliberately belabor" ANYTHING

I posted something that I always thought, I didn't even correct anyone LOL..
I realized tech skill, and being technical have a slight difference in definition?
You probably didn't even read that...

/facefkingpalm

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Kids rise to the best of their little groups and get cocky by beating the last event match and go into tournies thinking they're going to win it without ever being in one and get *****. So I still don't think we can really expect anything.
everyone started playing this game at a different point of time even at this phase
I understand what you're saying, but you misinterpreted what I said; notice how I worded my post:

What makes this the appropriate definition is that no matter who you are, AT THIS POINT everyone is expected to have--at the very least--a basic foundation of technical skill simply because one should assume their opponent will.
By this I meant that those who (1) understand Melee's current metagame and (2) are well aware of what goes in to being a "good player" (things that all who wish to play competitively MUST be well-acquainted with in order to compete rationally) should be able to deduce that technical skill is something necessary. For, even if tech skill wasn't a big part of your hometown's skill-set (if at all), it is to everyone who plays on regional, national, and international levels.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How does one improve their ability to focus? I am not looking for things like listening to music, things that help in the short run, but ways to train your mind to be better at the tasks.

Also, I have realized that my tech skill is my limiting factor, atm. When my inputs do what I want, I can beat anyone besides kels, but I have multiple tech mess ups per stock and it kills me. One of my most common mistakes is ledge jumping when I want to ledgedash. Many other miscellaneous ones like fullhopping instead of usmashing and occasionally missing lcancels. I think the only remedy for this right now is to practice my tech skill every day until its perfect.

Bing

Smash Master
I haz a hardcore recording set-up brah.
Bring it to the A&C at the tournament!

How does one improve their ability to focus? I am not looking for things like listening to music, things that help in the short run, but ways to train your mind to be better at the tasks.
I've been working on this myself and what I've been trying to do lately is work on my ability to multi task, this way it doesnt require as much focus to do such things. Also By Learning to multitask, I've found that I can focus better on things, and ignore the things around me. Its weird I know :S

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Perhaps it has to do with how unfamiliar i am with melee these days. If it were Starcraft 2 I could listen to a conversation and process the information while multitasking my late game with no real loss in ability since its quite natural to me. In fact, I have done this before with my roommate. But when it comes to melee, random stuff people say in the crowd really break my concentration. Literally everything hurts me: Cheering for me, booing me, smash talk or non-smash talk. My plan is to use headphones in all serious matches for the time being.

I am going to do some meditation on the issue; I have hunches on some of the internal forces going on and why I allow myself to be so easily affected. I never seem to find time to sit and reflect anymore :/

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm the same way with the crowd. At my last tourney there were people having some random conversation behind me, and I couldn't focus for ****. I actually had to turn around between stocks and ask them to stop, which just made me feel like a complete ***, but I went on to win the game so I guess it worked. lol Definitely wearing my headphones next tourney. They cancel out noise pretty well on their own, but I'd like to find some music I can listen to without that also distracting me. Some techno/trance or something because I'm sure if it has lyrics or if the beat continually varies it will be distracting.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Have you considered using ear plugs instead of headphones?

headphones can be distracting in their own way. Ear plugs to completely block sound would mean your entire focus of attention would be solely on one sensory modality (vision), directed at the game.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I never really had to use headphones or earphones before. I just block all distractions around me. The only distraction is my opponent I tell myself, how to counter this or what to do next.

Top Bottom