• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
JPOBS....at 3:53, you did a ledge hop back air, and you were invincible during part of it, allowing you to avoid Samus's nair. How did you do that? Unless it's really simple, and I'm just missing something...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
When you grab the ledge, you get like 1 second of invincibility. this is why people re-grab the ledge, then instantly go towards their opponent or back to the stage for safety.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I thought that invincibility was only on the ledge...but that makes more sense, now that I think about it. Thanks.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Ya like trahh said, its a pretty simple game mechanic. Grabbing the ledge offers you iirc 20 frames of complete invincibility which amount to 1/3 of a second. you can do all sorts of crazy invincible things if you time it well.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
What kind of tech chases does fox have?
I've seen M2K do some stuff from down throw, but that's all I know of. That's also a very good question. He's fast enough to chase people, but I don't know if he has set ups for tech chasing.

EDIT: Or just what the post below me says. That's much better.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
What kind of tech chases does fox have?
not really sure what your question is implying..

if you mean what he can do after following a tech chase, well, you could grab, shine, usmash, those are ideal but really fox can do whatever the **** he wants

zoler when are we making babies

Lovage

Smash Hero
this is a vid of me in losers finals vs samus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bydPytJmk&feature=feedu

if anyone wants to give me help with the matchup i'd appreciate it a lot.
specifically i have no idea how to edgeguard samus at all, but in general, I have no experience in the matchup so this was pretty much trial by fire

any help greatly appreciated :p

here's an old post i made about samus back when i played hugo like every week but i think most of it still applies

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9282974&postcount=7416

edit: skipped thru some of these matches but dont have much to say. my problem with critiquing videos is that melee is such a complex and difficult game, when you watch someone's match you can point out ten thousand little errors that they made that all helped them lose the match. and the difference in good critique and bad critique is knowing what errors to point out that will be easy to fix and will actually help the player

anyway, if i could say a few things i would say: don't jab samus, especially at low% and ESPECIALLY never when she's in her shield. shoot lasers when she's bomb recovering for a free 10%. reflect missiles when she shoots really dumb full screen ones.

the only way for her to punish you when you reflect a missile if if she was close enough to short hop nair you but that's really rare (or if she knows the super secret hugs dash attack cancel technique.) lotta spots in those matches you let her shoot full screen missiles that you had to deal with (put your shield up, let her wavedash in for free etc,) when you could have reflected them and made her put HER shield up and let you dash in for free. just something to keep in mine

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

Zoler

Smash Ace
not really sure what your question is implying..

if you mean what he can do after following a tech chase, well, you could grab, shine, usmash, those are ideal but really fox can do whatever the **** he wants

zoler when are we making babies
Apex baby! ;D <3 Can't wait!! or when ur coming to Sweden maybe, cuz you are right!?

Fox/Falco hybrid babies, beware!

also fox players you better tech chase with shine upsmash or shine BAAAAAIIRRR, cuz its pretty cool

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's a pretty mediocre / bad technique anyway. In a general sense, F-throw and B-throw are miles better than D-throw if only because you can pick which direction you're sending the opponent. You can apply way more pressure that way. Putting someone on a platform is also fantastic with this character for a variety of reasons.

The only characters where D-throw is kind of good because it's good (and not because Cactuar does it) are Jigglypuff, GaW, and maybe Pichu. Because those three have such horrific tech rolls it makes it worthwhile (Puff situationally because she falls off the stage from surprisingly far, GaW just about always, and I forget if Pichu gets knocked down from it so don't quote me on that one).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
When you grab the ledge, you get like 1 second of invincibility. this is why people re-grab the ledge, then instantly go towards their opponent or back to the stage for safety.
Ya like trahh said, its a pretty simple game mechanic. Grabbing the ledge offers you iirc 20 frames of complete invincibility which amount to 1/3 of a second. you can do all sorts of crazy invincible things if you time it well.
Invincibility upon grabbing ledge: 33 frames (Link); 37 (Everyone else)
Ledge grab animation length: 4 frames (Link); 8 frames (Everyone else)
Amounts to 29 frames of actionable invincibility, which is also the duration during which you cannot regrab the ledge.

unknown522

Some guy
the only way for her to punish you when you reflect a missile if if she was close enough to short hop nair you but that's really rare (or if she knows the super secret hugs dash attack cancel technique.) lotta spots in those matches you let her shoot full screen missiles that you had to deal with (put your shield up, let her wavedash in for free etc,) when you could have reflected them and made her put HER shield up and let you dash in for free. just something to keep in mine
can't she dash attack through the reflected missile?

I'm actually unsure, so I'm asking

Lovage

Smash Hero
can't she dash attack through the reflected missile?

I'm actually unsure, so I'm asking
ya and it cancels her dash attack and she can do anything out of it (dash attack again, dsmash etc)

but it's the super secret hugs technique so i don't expect any other samuses to use it.

and after you understand how it works / the timing of it it's actually not that amazing, the rule of thumb is dont reflect missiles when they're super close to you

unknown522

Some guy
I hear yah.

Also yeah, I do it up close as well. It does pretty good damage, and may kill at higher percents so why not?

Btw, can you give me some advice from this vid vs Bam (again)?: http://fr-ca.twitch.tv/styc/b/293111166

matches start from 0:26:35.

I really want to beat him with fox next time, instead of having to resort to going falco again.

I see some stupid things that I did, but you never know I could be missing something. Also, I never play around with the shield.

mers

Smash Ace
I thought all Samus players did the dash attack thing? I know I do.

Anyhow. I just rewatched Perfect Dark and it got me all fired up about flashy things I could be implementing into my Fox game.

Uthrow on Falcon at low percents (no DI): how legit is shinegrab? Would this work on Fox/Falco?

When you dthrow someone and they miss the tech, can you always shine usmash them? Dark does it to a Sheik in the video, and it looked sexy as ****.

I'd test them myself, but I don't have humans to play, and CPUs never seem to behave properly.

FireFly

Smash Lord
Hmm. Not sure if shinegrab after uthrow on Falcon is legit. Embarrassing noob question here, but does Chile play on a different version of Melee like PAL or something?

I know you can shinegrab people that shield instead of spamming multishines for pressure. Racer X from here does that kinda often on me.

Shine usmash works on the lighter weight characters if I'm not mistaken because of the continuous momentum that fox has after running (chillin shine?) For the heavier characters like Fox/Falco, you can waveshine usmash.

Let's have someone better than me confirm these things!

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Pretty sure uthrow > shinegrab is very gimmicky and can be gotten out of.

Yes @ running momentum. Otherwise it'll never work.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Hmm. Not sure if shinegrab after uthrow on Falcon is legit. Embarrassing noob question here, but does Chile play on a different version of Melee like PAL or something?

They play NTSC. Dark is just too good. Honestly, shine > grab in its various forms are all escapable by Falcon with proper DI and other stuff. It's just better to be u-smashing after non-DI'd u-throws at super low percent (vs Falcon) because it's better (does 18%, leads to knockdown for tech chase, etc). Unless they're by the edge or something. Later on transition into u-tilt (~30%) and use that for a long stretch. U-tilt is ridiculous.

I think there are some funny shine > wavedash > d-smash / d-tilt follows you can try too, but those are harder, probably ruined by DI, less effective than u-tilt, and probably only really useful if you can hit him with the d-smash / d-tilt when he's offstage and go for a gimp that way (so the positioning would be when you're a bit away from the edge, facing the edge).

I know you can shinegrab people that shield instead of spamming multishines for pressure. Racer X from here does that kinda often on me.

Yeah, shine grab on shield is good. Mainly by the edge because a lot of people hold block there for a variety of reasons. Most should be obvious. Shine grab CAN put you at frame advantage versus shield grabbing depending on staling so with proper execution you should be able to trump shield grabs too (usually).

Shine usmash works on the lighter weight characters if I'm not mistaken because of the continuous momentum that fox has after running (chillin shine?) For the heavier characters like Fox/Falco, you can waveshine usmash.

You can shine > u-smash on Fox and Falco, but they can tech to escape it if they're starting on the ground in a standing position. If they're knocked over you're good (I think). If they're in the air, you're good. Proper DI can probably nullify most of this like most janky combo setups.

Let's have someone better than me confirm these things!
A billion chars.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Not only can upthrow shine-->grab be DI'd out of but... there is literally only one DI as far as I know that actually works. When we were testing it, we got something weird like down+towards DI for a shinegrab to actually work... though I guess if I shined at a different height the DI might differ. It's still pretty sad that for like half their combos the opponent literally picks the worst possible DI >_>

Top Bottom