• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Brookman

Smash Hero
risky. risky. risky.

no lasers. bad DI. poor reaction time. bad Di.
next stock

good spike at least. reckless grab. reckless up smash.
random sidestps.

missed edge guard. good up tilt, bad follow up.
bad edge guard.random grabs
random grab connects

marth player is bad

marth player is bad
marth player is bad

next stock.

drill to randomness. missed tech skill.

back air up smash, nice.

random tech skill flurry into bad edge guards.

next stock (for marth)

marth player is badddd going for fsmash instead of regraab onthat plat.

match 2

marth player is bad.

your drill shine needs to get faster if you're gonna go for drill to drill to drill.

its all in the out of shine wavedash/out of wavedash running jump/and most important is the placement of the down air.

gotta learn that hit box.

this marth doesn't know how to CC and is bad.

3 to 3 stock now at the edge, marth random back air, up throws multiple times with no follow lets goo of the edge guard and then you throw your stock away by being reckless.

up throw up air 2 to 2.

random shines??????

spam arrows, i feel bad for you son.

he had a really good DD on you but couldn't space his grab properly. That was a really good DD though.

marth player doesnt know anything about vs. fox.

game 3

marth doesnt know what tech chasing is.

he up b's high, you lose the edge guard.

he has you in a kill trap and lets you recover.

battlefielded (marth))

up throws by marth with no follow ups, ever.

you spam lasers randomly and get tipperd.

you get punished for those up tilts. there is a lesson to be had here. I mean, you got away with the second one and had plenty of time to dash/nair/ bair/ etc.

you're beasting him on BF.

2 to 1 stock now.

you got it...

next set.

FD. too bad this marth doesnt know what a CG is.

or how to CC jab//anything. not sure why you dont shine to grab :urg:

3 to 3 FD.

marth doesnt know how to cg. doesnt know how to cg.

nice full jump nair to up tilt.

boy spam is kinda. .. nvm.

2 to 2 stock

f smash dash . .. . . jab

RANDOM full jump DAIR to get shine spiked.

you full jump into his dash dance. looked like you held back on it a little though. gotta get those fast falls in there quick sometimes.

smsah DI by marth. HE GETS A GRAB AND DOWN THROWS!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

A decent CG tech chase up tilt . . . . .back air u.u

oh he got the W after all. for Shame tsk tsk *shakes head*

stadium..

Either you got the bad up airs or spammy has nice smash DI.

4 to 3 you get random naired trying to laser.

consecutive hits. marth double jumps but you cant seal the deal. he gets you off. . .. . .cant come with a kill.

random up b???

****ing around gets you f smashed. edge cancel into get shield grabbed like a noob.. into get tippered like a noob. into get noob throw combod like a noob into evade nooby edge guards like a goodplayer.

2 to 2 stock.

land a drill
miss the shine.

land a drill on the platform
miss the grab ( hint hint ;] )

nail a simple edge guard cause this marth dont know how to recuhva!!

marth wanted you to infinite him but instead. . .you over b. . .

1 to 1.

69 percent!!!

jk he lost.

PB&J

Smash Hero
risky. risky. risky.

no lasers. bad DI. poor reaction time. bad Di.
next stock

good spike at least. reckless grab. reckless up smash.
random sidestps.

missed edge guard. good up tilt, bad follow up.
bad edge guard.random grabs
random grab connects

marth player is bad

marth player is bad
marth player is bad

next stock.

drill to randomness. missed tech skill.

back air up smash, nice.

random tech skill flurry into bad edge guards.

next stock (for marth)

marth player is badddd going for fsmash instead of regraab onthat plat.

match 2

marth player is bad.

your drill shine needs to get faster if you're gonna go for drill to drill to drill.

its all in the out of shine wavedash/out of wavedash running jump/and most important is the placement of the down air.

gotta learn that hit box.

this marth doesn't know how to CC and is bad.

3 to 3 stock now at the edge, marth random back air, up throws multiple times with no follow lets goo of the edge guard and then you throw your stock away by being reckless.

up throw up air 2 to 2.

random shines??????

spam arrows, i feel bad for you son.

he had a really good DD on you but couldn't space his grab properly. That was a really good DD though.

marth player doesnt know anything about vs. fox.

game 3

marth doesnt know what tech chasing is.

he up b's high, you lose the edge guard.

he has you in a kill trap and lets you recover.

battlefielded (marth))

up throws by marth with no follow ups, ever.

you spam lasers randomly and get tipperd.

you get punished for those up tilts. there is a lesson to be had here. I mean, you got away with the second one and had plenty of time to dash/nair/ bair/ etc.

you're beasting him on BF.

2 to 1 stock now.

you got it...

next set.

FD. too bad this marth doesnt know what a CG is.

or how to CC jab//anything. not sure why you dont shine to grab :urg:

3 to 3 FD.

marth doesnt know how to cg. doesnt know how to cg.

nice full jump nair to up tilt.

boy spam is kinda. .. nvm.

2 to 2 stock

f smash dash . .. . . jab

RANDOM full jump DAIR to get shine spiked.

you full jump into his dash dance. looked like you held back on it a little though. gotta get those fast falls in there quick sometimes.

smsah DI by marth. HE GETS A GRAB AND DOWN THROWS!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

A decent CG tech chase up tilt . . . . .back air u.u

oh he got the W after all. for Shame tsk tsk *shakes head*

stadium..

Either you got the bad up airs or spammy has nice smash DI.

4 to 3 you get random naired trying to laser.

consecutive hits. marth double jumps but you cant seal the deal. he gets you off. . .. . .cant come with a kill.

random up b???

****ing around gets you f smashed. edge cancel into get shield grabbed like a noob.. into get tippered like a noob. into get noob throw combod like a noob into evade nooby edge guards like a goodplayer.

2 to 2 stock.

land a drill
miss the shine.

land a drill on the platform
miss the grab ( hint hint ;] )

nail a simple edge guard cause this marth dont know how to recuhva!!

marth wanted you to infinite him but instead. . .you over b. . .

1 to 1.

69 percent!!!

jk he lost.
good stuff.. i wish all people would break down my matches like that..my spacing sucked that day because drill shine infinite on marth isnt that hard usaully..guess i need to practice better spacing not to so called " random shine" so much..thanks man

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i only watched like part of the first match but you let spam stand still and just hit grab over and over again and get 3 grabs in a row. sure, he didnt capitalize on them because he's not very good yet, but you gotta not let that happen.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
I'm going one on one against the oddest Jiggz player I've ever seen next week, and he usually beats me somehow.
His playstyle is:
Spam side b and bair/nair/fair.
Lots of random jumps.
Running away for no reason whatsoever.
Generally being ********.
Rest-baiting for a free f-smash (That is, while I'm in an aerial combo, he randomly rests, gets hit out of it, then f-smash edgeguard)
Doesn't edgeguard for the first stock ever.
Randomly uses sing.
Likes to crouch cancel (easy to exploit though)

The point is, he plays really odd. I expect an f-smash, he punches my shield, I let go, then f-smash. I also have no clue why but he has this awkwardness that makes me always triangle jump off the edge instead of hogging.
And, his irl mindgames are too much. >.> He paused once to get a drink and screwed up my DI.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
I do laser him. He just jumps around / ducks / is stupid.

I can aerial combo any jigglypuff BUT him :/

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I'm going one on one against the oddest Jiggz player I've ever seen next week, and he usually beats me somehow.
His playstyle is:
Spam side b and bair/nair/fair.
Lots of random jumps.
Running away for no reason whatsoever.
Generally being ********.
Rest-baiting for a free f-smash (That is, while I'm in an aerial combo, he randomly rests, gets hit out of it, then f-smash edgeguard)
Doesn't edgeguard for the first stock ever.
Randomly uses sing.
Likes to crouch cancel (easy to exploit though)

The point is, he plays really odd. I expect an f-smash, he punches my shield, I let go, then f-smash. I also have no clue why but he has this awkwardness that makes me always triangle jump off the edge instead of hogging.
And, his irl mindgames are too much. >.> He paused once to get a drink and screwed up my DI.
playing really odd in someone elses eyes is more of a good thing than anything. he's not attempting the same stuff everyone else is so it's harder for you to punish him. he apparently mixes up his strategies well enough to confuse you into putting yourself into bad situations.

I don't get the rest-baiting for a free-fsmash part. So you're saying while you're hitting puff with aerials, he somehow rests you during that[which sounds pretty hard, ive never seen a puff rest out of a combo] then you don't die from the rest, try and recover and get fsmashed? You have an upb and a forward b. you also have multiple angles for this upB. mix up your recovery. he shouldn't be able to FSMASH you every single time you survive a rest.

SideB should be getting punished HARD. it's obvious when it comes out, and it's slow after the hit. i'd suggest getting a free grab or something out of it.

his random jumps are probably baits. like make you think he's gonna aerial so that youll attempt to punish it, but then he punishes you.

Him running away could mean nothing to you, but something to him.

sing is bad.

dair his cc's into shines into tech chase into grab uairs, or something.

you keep saying he's dumb/******** but from the way you describe him, he's got good DI since you can't combo him :p

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks. And by rest baiting, here's what happens:
Me: U tilt, FJ fair, FF, FJ bair, dashgrab upthrow bair. (this is on the right side of the stage now, him at something like 60%)
Him: During the upthrow, he moves left to screw up my bair, randomly rests for no reason, then I hit him with a SHFFL fair instead of an upsmash, and he f-smashes me / dashrest.

I think I can handle that though, I'm practicing my uair a bit more.

He's rather annoying during games too, he keeps cracking jokes and makes me laugh, screwing up my tech.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Him: During the upthrow, he moves left to screw up my bair, randomly rests for no reason, then I hit him with a SHFFL fair instead of an upsmash, and he f-smashes me / dashrest.
that was really confusing. why are you hitting a puff with a fair after she whiffs a rest?

brookman, cmon don't be so de-motivating.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'm sorry. You can't tell me that someone plays stupid and thats why you lose to them. It is QUITE OBVIOUSLY the other way around.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I think he's just trying to imply that the puff has a stupid unorthodox style that works out against him.

like i could picture people being like "****IN HUNGRYBOX'S STYLE IS STUPID HES DUMB WHAT NOOB TACTICS"
in the same manner.

i personally love your honesty, when it's being directed towards me or other experienced players atleast, but when you see someone's that new at the game[especially someone who isn't used to your blatant honesty] and they hear harsh negativity, it won't help encourage them to get better.

unless your some crazy guy who uses the negativity and rudeness to push yourself to prove them otherwise.

Tero.

Smash Champion
good stuff.. i wish all people would break down my matches like that..my spacing sucked that day because drill shine infinite on marth isnt that hard usaully..guess i need to practice better spacing not to so called " random shine" so much..thanks man
there is no such thing as drill shine infinite unless you live in like 2005

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i love love love watching mango whe he plays his spacies. he's soooooo consistent and super smart and does everything right. I wish he played his spacies more in tourny singles cuz now vids of him are hard to come by playing serious characters.

this guy sounds hilarious.

if you really cant figure out his style or combo him and stuff, camp him to all hell and win by just being super duper ruper safe.

Palpi

Smash Hero
PB&J...you need to take it slow sometimes...you do too much. Tech skill means nothing unless you have the brains to utilize it. Take your time to think your actions through rather than going OMGWTFBBQROFLAMZ0RZ on them. You should have ***** the marth much harder.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Considering I joined the competitive scene 3 weeks ago because of a friend, I'm obviously not going to be that good. :/ I can't even wavedash out of a shine right.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
oh.

Uhh, solid jigglypuffs are going to be really really hard to fight for a while. Don't stress out about that matchup too much yet. Just focus on getting better techskill and not doing silly stuff that doesn't work. It sounds like you're going for really weird combos that should never work. So uhhh just stop doing those. Learn the fundamentals before you try to combo Jigglypuff with forward air LOL.

(the fundamentals are uthrow uair and developing the solid dashdance game necessary to land grabs)

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
I can do uthrow uairs pretty consistently actually except on Falcons, Falcos and Foxes. :/
I can dashdance, but I don't really get what you're supposed to do with it lol

voorhese

Smash Master
uh....im gonna tell u know, that floaties should be the harder ones for u to hit with up throw to up air...which makes me think that u are upairing them on the way down and thats why the spacies are harder for u...u should be hitting them on thier way up or at most the peak of their height.

as for dashdancing, u do want to keep moving so that u can get in a lot easier, when i was first getting into competitive smash the ONE thing that was the hardest to combat against was people that dashdanced

when they dashdance u dont know when they are gonna come in and so u get scared and go in urself, this puts u in a HORRIBLE position, if u approach while they are dashdancing they can do just about anything they want to you, and if u dont go in (depending on the matchup/ %'s of you and ur opponent) they dont have to stop dashdancing, especially if they play fox/falco, then can shoot you

long story short dashdancing is used to raype minds, and make it easier to punish hasty approaches and just general mistakes.

edit: also i feel that dash dancing keeps me in more control of my character also, like if u sit for awhile and then try to do some fancy platform stuff or something like that its a lot harder, than if u have control of ur character b4 that...kinda like when u get hit by something and u just feel like ur movements arent working after for a sec, so u roll to reset ur hands...idk i may just be wierd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtSVAr-X9FM check this out

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I can dashdance, but I don't really get what you're supposed to do with it lol
a lot of stuff

- changes the timing of your approach
- provides a wider range from which you can approach, making your approach less telegraphed
- makes you a more difficult target because your location at a given time is ambiguous
- keeps you in the initial dash animation from which you still have all your options open to you

edit: oh, and uthrow won't connect to uair on fox, falco and falcon until higher percents.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
edit: also i feel that dash dancing keeps me in more control of my character also, like if u sit for awhile and then try to do some fancy platform stuff or something like that its a lot harder, than if u have control of ur character b4 that...kinda like when u get hit by something and u just feel like ur movements arent working after for a sec, so u roll to reset ur hands...idk i may just be wierd
So far, this is the only reason I've ever dashdanced, to give a better feel and stuff. :/ I've never actually put pressure / mindgames using it.

I think I'm just bad at uairing fast fallers. :/ And I recently found out I suck at uairing any kind of Peach.

And, does anyone know how to kill Samus' bomb jump?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
umm just wait for samus to get near to the stage before you try to edgeguard her lol. you shouldn't usually jump out there to edgeguard samus

I forgot, dashdancing also gives the illusion of an approach when used at close range. I used to think I was so smart when I would like, stand outside someone's shield and they'd roll into me. Ha ha! i read your roll, i would think. then i realized people caught on to this really quickly when i would just stand there. you can bait rolls and sidesteps just by dashdancing near an opponent who is on the defensive; and if you're watching for one of these reactions, you can punish it. you can also learn about your opponent by dashdancing near them and seeing how they react; what you have to do near an opponent to evoke a certain reaction

anyway yeah uhhh, basically just know this; if you're dashdancing, jigglypuff is going to find it much harder to hit you with a bair or something. so just dashdance your buddy's jigglypuff a lot until you see an opening for a grab, then grab him, uthrow uair. that's the best way to take stocks off a jigglypuff.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Aha. I still have to work on my tech skill. I learned wavedashing OoS today though through lots of trial-and-error.

So how do you guys practice? I've been just comboing on level 1 CPUs and tech skill practice on Fountain of Dreams / Yoshi's Story.

voorhese

Smash Master
oh also as for beating ur puff friend, if he cant tech the ground very well dthrow to upsmash him...this works well on people that cant tech, most of the time u run into people in tourneys they can, but its a good mixup none the less. but if u find someone who has trouble with it u can upsmash them out of dthrow, and i might be wrong cuz i havent tried it recently against people who do tech it often, but i think because certain characters tech distance/speed differs, you can prolly tech chase an upsmash =)

i am really technical, and i avoid playing on YS and FoD, i play mostly on BF PS and FD for tech skill practice, i play lvl 1's for practice about 60% of the time now, mainly because i dont play it as much (i stopped playing it at home, only when i am out of the house now) but i used to practice tech with lvl 1-3 cpu about 80-90% of the time, the other 10ish was actually playing people whether it be friendlies or tourneys.

also for ur wavedashing oos i recomend using 1 of the triggers (L or R) to shield, and the other to wavedash.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
there are frames in the shield-drop animation that can't be jump canceled.

now you understand.
If you jump first then it doesn't matter which trigger you use. As long as you release and repress the analog part of the trigger for the wavedash.

I think practice makes either way fine. But I'm pretty sure everyone knows this by now. Yay waste of post.

PB&J

Smash Hero
after playing with jman,lambchops,dj nintendo,gmoney, and alukard yerstday...i decided that im switching my style up..im going to be playing with hax,chops,jman, and others later today and tomorrow..pretty good training i think..its like im on a work out plan..lol

Top Bottom